Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

World Rankings

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: World Rankings

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 09:37

Maybe qualifiers are included? I have no clue.

I accept that ranking is flawed, but I'd love to see World Rugby reward nations who show up high in that list instead of neglecting it.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Thu, 10 Jan 2019, 15:38

Canalina wrote:If I remember correctly, in two different years World Rugby deduced six points to several nations "guilty" to have not played for the previous 12 months. The last time this happened was, I hope no not be wrong, at the end of 2016, while I think that at the end of 2017 there were no deductions (for some hardly arguably reason). Let's see if some sanction will be taken at the end of this year; there are several nations which haven't played a test match in 2018, included the quite blazoned Sri Lanka and PNGuinea.

Hey Canalina, did you check the rankings?
Apparently only Indonesia and Papua New Guinea have a deduction of 6 points this year.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 10 Jan 2019, 17:04

Yes, and I didn't understand the logic upon that decision. Why just them? Why all the other nations not playing in 2018 have been forgiven?
Moreover, it seems there are no news at all about that penalization: World Rugby doesn't explain it and even the indonesian and papuaguinean federations or sport journalists don't talk about. We are the only ones in the world which took note of it...

To note also that in 2018 there were not new WR members or associated members. In all the ten previous years, apart 2011, there was always at least one new membership but no one in the year just ended. The last entry (#105) was Costa Rica on december 2017.
It surprises me a bit that Iran is still not awarded with a full membership: they seem having a relatively good movement, with even a (little) women's XV championship, and they play in Asia Championship every year.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 11 Jan 2019, 08:14

Canalina wrote:Yes, and I didn't understand the logic upon that decision. Why just them? Why all the other nations not playing in 2018 have been forgiven?

Could it be, that those punished haven't as well played in 2017? Before I start researching, do you recall also making this kind of list last year?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 11 Jan 2019, 11:16

Yes, you are right, from a rapid search both PNG and Indonesia didn't play also in 2017. They forfeited in the respective continental championship and I doubt they played test matches outside those competitions.
Unfortunately www.rugbyinternational.net single nation records are updated just to 2016 so I can't check properly.
Anyway not just PNG and INA but all the minor Oceania nations (apart Tahiti and Cook) didn't play in 2017, so the penalization should have hit them too.
An explanation could be the fact that PNG and INA was supposed to play in Oceania Cup and Asia Championship but renounced at the "last second", while nations like Vanuatu, Solomon or American Samoa never asked to play in the Oceania Cup 2017.
So maybe PNGuinea and Indonesia were sort of sin-binned because of that late renounce and the fact to have not played in 2018 brought them to a "red card".
This year it will be again time of Oceania Cup (it's biennial): let's see how many of these little ranked nations will take part.

A curiosity: despite being neighbors, Indonesia and Papua Guinea never played a test match together. Indonesia never played outside Asia.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 27 Feb 2019, 08:55

I've just been looking at the example of how to work out rankings changes on the website, I can't work out where they got all the figures of 0.64, 0.36 etc or understand the diagram for that matter! Haha

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 18 Jul 2019, 09:33

An other statistic, as usual: the ranked nations that have still not played a TM in 2019 and that, therefore, risk to be penalized in the ranking at the end of the year (even if the rule about is all but not clear)
The * indicates nations that have at least a test match fixed in the next months

1 NEW ZEALAND *
5 SOUTH AFRICA *
6 AUSTRALIA *
11 JAPAN *
13 TONGA *
16 SAMOA *
41 TUNISIA
47 MOROCCO
51 MEXICO *
52 TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
53 MADAGASCAR *
54 COOK
55 SENEGAL *
62 VENEZUELA
71 NIGERIA *
72 BOTSWANA *
77 PERU
79 ST VINCENT & GRENADINES *
82 TAHITI
83 BAHAMAS
85 PAPUA NEW GUINEA *
89 SWAZILAND
93 MAURITIUS *
96 RWANDA *
97 COSTA RICA
98 NIUE
99 CAMEROON
100 SOLOMON *
101 MONACO
102 GREECE
104 VANUATU
105 AMERICAN SAMOA

Data from http://www.rugbyinternational.net/fixtu ... esults.htm

Nations not ranked that have played a test match in 2019
BRITISH VIRGIN IS., CURACAO, CYPRUS, DOMINICAN REP., ESTONIA, GIBRALTAR, GUADELOUPE, JORDAN, LEBANON, MARTINIQUE, QATAR, SLOVAKIA, TURKS&CAICOS, TURKEY

Nations not ranked that have a tm fixed before the end of the year
Nauru, Tuvalu, St.Lucia

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 09 Aug 2019, 17:14

An Australian win vs New Zealand and a Welsh win in Twickenham would give Wales the #1 in the world ranking.
I would be glad about it.
Ireland and England instead don't have the chance to conquer the first spot this week; they could arrive very close, but not enough

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 09 Aug 2019, 18:34

Peru will soon have a match, the South American 2nd is in September. But we don't have the fixtures yet - and we don't know if Venezuela will play it.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 11:52

After New Zealand's big loss if Wales win tonight they become the new number 1.

Edit: My mistake, the loss means Wales are officially number one in the world! Congrats to Wales! Japan move to 9th.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 12:11

But they need anyway to win or draw tomorrow in Twickenham to obtain the official Number One position. I don't think we may consider a "true", full first position in the rankings the one obtained for some hours during the week. Or may we?

By the way, could this be for New Zealand the beginning of a long era far from the top of the ranking? I don't follow so much the down under rugby but I know that NZ U20 team struggled (relatively) in the last two editions of the JWC

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 12:30

Judging from how I've seen them play the last few weeks there's something about the team that feels like it's missing. Over the past 7 or 8 years NZ have had a habit of being able to shift to a much higher gear whenever they get behind or are being challenged. The gear is no longer present. Barely defeated Argentina, tied with the Springboks, and now thrashed by the Wallabies. Either the other nations have figured out how to counter that or the coaching and team structure isn't what it use to be. I don't know if their dominance is over, but there are very large cracks starting to appear. I'd say the odds of them losing their first ever Rugby World Cup pool game are now very high.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 19:05

NZ saved the #1 spot but the rankings are very tight and close. I think there are four nations -Nze, Wal, Ire, Eng- that could be number one after next weekend

https://rawling.github.io/wr-calc/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 12 Aug 2019, 16:00

Possible variations after next saturday's matches (Nze-Aus, Wal-Eng, Saf-Arg, Ireland rests). There are high chances that the winner of Cardiff's game can become number one of the world. Calculations made by me by mind, so hope but not sure they're totally correct

http://www.rugby.it/news/2019/08/12/tra ... -mondiale/

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Mon, 12 Aug 2019, 16:13

Japan is #9, the first time in its history.

Remember my word - Japan will stay in top 10 for a long, long time.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 14:55

Argentina out of the top ten. shocking :shock:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 06:13

Japan could be ranked as high as 8th come the world cup if France lose both matches to Scotland by 16+. They would cement it if they were to repeat their win over the Springboks. Interesting to see though, the likelihood of New Zealand being ranked 1st in the world by the time the World Cup begins is virtually zero. Either Ireland or Wales are likely to enter the tournament ranked 1.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Brigantine » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 00:31

BigG wrote:Japan is #9, the first time in its history.

Remember my word - Japan will stay in top 10 for a long, long time.

Not the first time in history. They were #9 in 2014 (Nov 10) and 2016 (Feb 8-22) too. In both cases as a result of Scotland or Argentina losing, and not as a result of Japan winning.
If they make #8 it will be a record.

Also, being the host nation at a RWC is not kind to your WR rankings. They may get no benefit from 2 wins and a draw with Scotland, and Ireland still win points off them. They could get a QF and still be ranked 11th afterwards.
Unless USA or Tonga beat the loser of Argentina vs France... that would lower the bar for being in the top 10.

Or they could do even better at the cup, but that's a big ask. Or after June 2020 they could start an extended run in the top 10.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 18 Aug 2019, 01:21

Canalina wrote:Possible variations after next saturday's matches (Nze-Aus, Wal-Eng, Saf-Arg, Ireland rests). There are high chances that the winner of Cardiff's game can become number one of the world. Calculations made by me by mind, so hope but not sure they're totally correct

Looks like Wales's win puts them top this time, despite NZ's big win over Aus.

Rawlings agrees with you

https://rawling.github.io/wr-calc/

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum