Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

World Rankings

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Re: World Rankings

Postby Rowan » Fri, 10 Apr 2015, 09:56

Precisely, the US had to play a repechage against Spain. Therefore, Chile did not really get close to qualifying for the World Cup. You could say that, teechnically, they got close to reaching the repechage, where victory over the Spanish would have been no foregone conclusion for Los Condores (they were thumped at home by Spain last year), but to reach that stage required a victory over the Eagles in America, and that never really looked on the cards. Meanwhile, their demise in recent years must be of some concern to the powers that be as well . . .
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 10 Apr 2015, 11:20

Rowan wrote:Well, the year Tunisia were denied direct qualification on aggregate after a drawn series with Namibia was the same year they went to the repechages instead and got smashed by Romania. So they really weren't up to the task anyway. Similarly, I don't recall that Chile really got that close either, despite a shock home-win over the US. It came down to their last game, in the US, where they were decisively beaten and thus consigned to the bottom of the table. I would say that Morocco's narrow defeat to Uruguay on aggregate in the 1999 repechage was a much closer call, and perhaps they are the most unlucky nation so far not to have qualified for the World Cup.

I would say Zimbabwe being one bad decision away from the World Cup (going for posts instead of the bonus point try against Kenya) is the winner of the unluckiest title.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 10 Apr 2015, 13:07

Sables4EVA wrote:
Rowan wrote:Well, the year Tunisia were denied direct qualification on aggregate after a drawn series with Namibia was the same year they went to the repechages instead and got smashed by Romania. So they really weren't up to the task anyway. Similarly, I don't recall that Chile really got that close either, despite a shock home-win over the US. It came down to their last game, in the US, where they were decisively beaten and thus consigned to the bottom of the table. I would say that Morocco's narrow defeat to Uruguay on aggregate in the 1999 repechage was a much closer call, and perhaps they are the most unlucky nation so far not to have qualified for the World Cup.

I would say Zimbabwe being one bad decision away from the World Cup (going for posts instead of the bonus point try against Kenya) is the winner of the unluckiest title.

Certainly the dumbest anyway, Sables :lol:

I don't think the Count of Monte Cristo's escape was quite so miraculous as Nambia's last year. An extremely unlikely set of results had to go their way, and go their way they did. I imagine the Welwitschias all went out and bought lottery tickets afterward . . .

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 10 Apr 2015, 21:53

The conspiracy theorists are still trying to work out how the IRB engineered that.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 01:31

Still boggles my mind Zimbabwe screwed that up. From memory they had a comfortable lead too. With that said this year is put up or shut up year for Namibia, they've had more than enough chances to show they are deserving of competing at the World Cup and frankly I've run out of sympathy for them.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 06:11

The man responsible for that mess has left the ZRU and there has been a bit of a shakeup in the administration so things should improve. As per conspiracy theories, there have been a lot of rumours and questions raised that have never been conclusively answered and never will.

Zimbabwean rugby fans are all talking about what could have been. Zim in the World Cup and a core team would have transformed the game here. As it is things are stagnating and even the local leagues are struggling to find teams to compete.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 06:54

What conspiracy theories are going around? That Zim threw the match?

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 17:47

Namibia made a deal with Madagascar
World Rugby fixed the games so a more marketable team qualified

stuff like that

I am not in any way saying these are true, just that these were the rumours flying around in rugby circles in Zim after the tournament.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 20:17

thatrugbyguy wrote:Still boggles my mind Zimbabwe screwed that up. From memory they had a comfortable lead too. With that said this year is put up or shut up year for Namibia, they've had more than enough chances to show they are deserving of competing at the World Cup and frankly I've run out of sympathy for them.

If Namibia are good enough to keep qualifying, then none of the other African teams deserve a chance at the World Cup until they can beat them. It's put up or shut up for the other Africa teams. Beat Namibia and qualify, or shut up.
http://theroonba.com Results, fixtures, rankings

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 20:26

Rowan wrote:In saying that, there are some odd alignments in Central America and the Caribbean, with Costa Rica in South America and Guyana in North America, for example. I'd also like to see South Africa re-introduced to CAR competition, ideally with a team of non-whites. It would be a real privilege for other teams to play against such a team, including the North Africans, as it is for the Pacific Islands to play the Maori . . .

NACRA/CONSUR are quite clearly delineated. Guyana is normally considered Caribbean in other sports (as are Suriname and French Guiana) because of cultural and historic reasons. CONSUR is South America+Central America.

I don't think these non-national teams are good. I'd much rather see the best national teams from nations competing against each other rather than makeshift A/Select teams from the Tier 1 nations.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 20:48

NACRA/CONSUR are quite clearly delineated. Guyana is normally considered Caribbean in other sports (as are Suriname and French Guiana) because of cultural and historic reasons. CONSUR is South America+Central America.

Thanks. But, yes, I'm aware of all that. Just holding it up as an example that regional groupings are not always based entirely on geography. In this instance we are talking about culture and history. Still, I'm not actually supporting the idea of Morocco and Tunisia returning to European competition...

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 21:02

Rowan wrote:

Thanks. But, yes, I'm aware of all that. Just holding it up as an example that regional groupings are not always based entirely on geography. In this instance we are talking about culture and history. Still, I'm not actually supporting the idea of Morocco and Tunisia returning to European competition...

Yes, I don't like the idea of Morocco and Tunisia in Europe myself.
But Morocco having a few problems with Africa at the moment - they were suspended in football for refusing to host the Africa Cup of Nations due to the Ebola outbreak, and then were reinstated after an international court case. They've also withdrawn from all sports at the All-Africa Games in Congo this year (including rugby 7s) due to Western Sahara being allowed to compete at the Games for the first time (Morocco claims Western Sahara as part of its territory). So, other factors might drive them towards Europe in the long run. They're currently the only African country who isn't a member of the African Union (in protest at Western Sahara being a member) and applied to join the European Union in 1987.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 21:14

Yes, they hardly seem to consider themselves African at all. But I think the main reason World Rugby would never allow their readmission to Europe is that African rugby (SA notwithstanding) is weak enough as it is. Meanwhile, the ENC really stands to gain nothing from it. In the old day sit was understandable because it was just an amateur competition with a French XV competing, and the North Africans were involved because of their close proximity and, no doubt, the fact most of their players would have been plying their trade in France, the home of the fIRA. I wonder how much Morocco and Tunisia have developed their own domestic leagues...

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 25 May 2015, 11:42

So Japan slip two places as a result of the "draw" with Hong Kong.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby paratus » Mon, 25 May 2015, 22:09

That's just fucking stupid

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:06

Let me mark the first anniversary of my arrival upon this forum with a great little video of some World Cup qualifying tries - more exciting than watching the pro's trying to burrow across from the fringes of mauls . . .

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:23

^^^^

Great tries but for me whats important is that you may notice in every single clip in that showed stadiums full of crowds, Even though these were tier 2/3 nations.. Lovely to see

May be World Rugby should concentrate on these fledgling nations to step up than keep promoting namesake teams full of non nationals around the world with little ground support, that does nothing to the game

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:28

Let me mark the first anniversary of my arrival upon this forum

And it falls on Georgia's Independence Day (1918) :!:

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:31

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:

Happy Independence day Georgia.. What a great Rugby nation :D

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:39

I hope that 2018 there are big things for Georgia.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 26 May 2015, 12:22

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:

8-) Proud to learn this. Happy Independence Day, Georgia!

Great tries but for me whats important is that you may notice in every single clip in that showed stadiums full of crowds, Even though these were tier 2/3 nations.. Lovely to see

:thumbup: I noticed that too.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Jun 2015, 10:08

Is there not anymore the archive section in the World Rugby rankings? http://www.worldrugby.org/rankings

I've seen that Spain is going to be 20th after the gallant victory over Namibia and I was curious to see if it represent their best ever ranking.
WR should purpose simple data with best ranking ever and worst ranking ever for every team, like ATP and WTA. It should be simple

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 22 Jun 2015, 10:54

The World Rugby site is shite, I can't even tell what results I'm looking at on the main page - men's, women's, seniors, juniors, 15s or 7s - because they don't even bother to put that basic info up. & navigating it has become something of a nightmare.

Better off going to Wiki, where we can easily see that Spain's best ranking was 18th a couple of years back, while their worst was 32nd a decade ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rugby_Rankings

National Flag:
GreenlandGreenland

Postby fridge46 » Mon, 22 Jun 2015, 11:30

Canalina wrote:Is there not anymore the archive section in the World Rugby rankings? http://www.worldrugby.org/rankings

Go to the "Choose Date" in the top right of the page - it will direct you to what the rankings were on that date (with the actual date those particular rankings were released on in the top left). It also gives points and movements.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Jun 2015, 19:15

Thanks Fridge, but they are points and movements related to that particular week. I would have liked to have some more tools to read the historical path of the various nations: best and worst position, a graphic representing the up&down of a nation from the creation of the rankings (this was present in the IRB website) and other things like these

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum