12:00 CET - Ampo Ordizia v UBU-Colina Clinic

12:30 CET - VRAC Quesos Entrepinares v Hernani

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 00:11

Liga Heineken - Week 16 - Results and Standings
VRAC Quesos Entrepinares 41 - 10 Hernani
Aldro Independiente 28 - 29 SilverStorm El Salvador (locals missed a last-minute kick that could have handed them the win)
Sanitas Alcobendas 43 - 14 Barça Rugbi (Alcobendas absolutely smoked their rivals in Cup final)
Ampo Ordizia 27 - 40 UBU-Colina Clinic (Burgos team keeps impressing in spite of losing Emiliano Calle)
UE Santboiana 41 - 28 La Vila (Afa Tauli reached 100-tries landmark for Sant Boi)
Bizkaia Gernika P - P Complutense Cisneros (game postponed due to the awful muddy and waterlogged state of the pitch)

Talking points from this week in Spanish rugby...
- VRAC is asking their next game against UBU-Colina Clinic to be postponed since it clashes with Georgia v Spain and up to five players from their club have been called to national team. But FER has been reluctant to accept this in recent times since schedule is extremely tight. So we're in for another Valladolid v FER battle.
- FER has launched a new Sevens club competition for next Summer. It has been welcomed with skepticism, prompting a response from Pablo Feijóo (7s coach) saying it's his brainchild and he's the one to blame if it fails. His reaction must be applauded but that doesn't make any less true that clubs won't be particularly interested in spending more money in a Summer competition that furthermore could make some of their talent switch to 7s...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 10:43

FOURTH version of the training squad for the game against Russia:
https://twitter.com/ferugby/status/1093096322071232512

Alvar Gimeno and Igor Genua are out due to injuries, Mauri Londoño and Diego García are in. Now we are really f**** in backs.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:19

I have to take the clubs side on this one, if the 6 N are doing the same why can FER sort their schedule out?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:28

FER made a proposal last Summer to shorten the league that clubs didn't even want to study. It implied a regular season round robin of 11 weeks and then two pools dividing teams based on performance, like it is done in the Netherlands.

We've got 22 weeks of regular season, 3 weeks of playoffs, 2 weeks for Cup, 1 week for Supercup and 1 week for Iberian Cup: 29 weeks of club rugby. And then you have to find space for 7 or 8 weeks of international rugby. There will always be at the very least three or four clashes because nobody wants to play in Christmas or Holy Week and league must finish in May.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:44

So no different from England Rugby, Do the competitions have a week off? or a weekend break during the regular season?

Last weekend all lower level tier Rugby had a weekend off the Pro's the last 2 weekends. is that possible to arrange? Spain doesn't play in Europe so why is it hard to arrange?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:53

Fron 16 September to 26 May club rugby has only 8 weekends off: 18 November (test match), 6 January (bank holiday), 10 February (REC), 3 March (REC), 10 March (REC), 17 March (REC), 21 April (bank holiday) and 19 May (to prepare the final).

We need to change the format of the league (less revenue), start earlier (more costs) or reduce the number of teams (nobody wants that).

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 09:11

In a nutshell what is the new Spain 7's series currently being promoted by Feijoo?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 09:39

A desperate attempt at having real competitive (not party) Sevens in Spain so to detect players for the national team. Spanish 7s Championship has been held over a single weekend the few last years and only six or eight teams entered. Here they are trying to give it a better packaging and a little more length (two rounds) following the example of women's series. But women have financial support from Iberdrola. So it's a big doubt whether it's gonna work.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 08 Feb 2019, 16:54

The squad for Georgia. Surprising to see all three guys from Agen remaining along Fédérale 1, Espoirs and Liga Heineken players:
https://www.revista22.es/2019/02/cambio ... a-georgia/

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 03:52

3 Spanish players in Agen? That’s cool. Colombia’s only player is there so good to see some other Spanish folk.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 08:45

To be honest, only Xerom Civil is Spanish-born and anyway his mother is French and he moved to France aged 12 or 13. Lucas Rubio and Mickaël de Marco are eligible through ancestry.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 12:30

Updated squad to prepare for Georgia after a few injuries yesterday:

It's very possible that two players from Georgia have more caps than full Spanish squad combined...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby ILikeSoccer&WatsThis » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 18:54

Probably a stupid question, but boy here I go: I kinda miss a handful of french born-and-raised players that performed for the team last championship, if I'm not mistaken. Where are they? I am particularly thinking about that not so old flanker who was actually the captain in a couple of matches, Guibouain (?)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 19:03

Most of them will be back later in the tournament, some just to say goodbye and retire from international rugby in front of Madrid crowd. And that will be the case for both French and Spanish-born players with pro contracts.

Gautier Gibouin is a big question mark because he is risking his professional future in Nevers, he wants to come, he was part of the first squad released to play against Russia, but FER and him won't take any risks this year: if his club needs him, he will not play for us.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby ILikeSoccer&WatsThis » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 19:20

Really? He could be in trouble for wanting to represent his country (of "adoption" but still)? I've read similar things in the past year and thougth about them as nothing else but rumors, but if one of the captains is actually under that pressure, I guess those rumors are then pretty accurate. And the worst part is I don't think there's much the player can do about that other than play his cards wisely.
All in all, I hope to see him and the others once again in the pitch, even if its only to bid them farewell.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 19:57

Welcome to the dark side of international rugby outside top teams. Every time there is Rugby World Cup we see players from Tier 2 or Tier 3 declining to take part with their countries because their clubs ask them to. Just a couple of weeks ago both Montpellier Fijian wingers announced their international retirements after signing new contracts.

As long as FER hasn't got enough money to compensate clubs or contract players we must adapt to the needs of players and clubs. And that's why we've got a guy like Jean-Michel Aguirre contracted by the union.

Since he's a French rugby legend of Spanish origin, he's totally in love of the game (I sat next to him at Central stadium once and he really 'feels' it) and he's respected by coaches and presidents of French clubs, he manages to broker small deals with then so players come and go as they need. Sometimes our players don't even take part in post-match celebrations and they've got a car waiting for them so they are back home when promised to their teams.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 13:58

This Forum probably knows how Georgian is written:
33 letters for 33 sounds, ONE to ONE, no spelling rules

Hence, I need been clarified for all branches of GEO rugby media
how THOSE are pronounced in Spanish | Catalan | Euskadi:

HOYO = oio | odjo?
XEROM = sherom?
JON = khon ?
GUIDO = gido | gvido?
MUNILLA = munilia | munidja?
JULEN = khulen | zhulen ?
JORDI JORBA = kh | zh ?
GUILLERMO = giiermo | giliermo | gidjermo ?

TIPS on what I mean:

kh as in Imran KHan,
zh as in Leonid BreZHnev,
dj as in John Lennon

:::

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 14:49

You've got a PM

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 14:59

Thank you very much

First-hand tips from a native speaker are invaluable in those cases

:::

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 06:17

Nice :!: Now I've stored your voice into my archives

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sun, 17 Feb 2019, 16:13

Radio Rugby Mexico is doing a program on the different leagues around Europe and the world and yesterday they did a broadcast on the Spanish League, here's the ad published

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 17 Feb 2019, 16:16

Nice. Is it possible to listen to it somewhere? There is a small mistake, in División de Honor B there are 36 teams.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 19 Feb 2019, 00:43

Barça Rugbi will tour Japan next summer along with FC Barcelona soccer team:
https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/rugby/ ... ol-7311113

They claim it's part of an effort from the club to give its amateur sections more visibility and a reward for reaching Copa del Rey final.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 19 Feb 2019, 17:47

You say they claim this, what do you think are their ulterior motives?

And to clarify, they will be touring Japan in July 2019, not 2020. I always get confused when someone says "next" instead of "this" - interchangeable terms for dates that people don't seem to agree upon. It's weird, if you said next summer in September or October I'd know exactly what you mean but if you say next summer in March/April I'd think it was the following year. Don't know if this happens to anyone else.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum