Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 18 May 2017, 12:50

At last some good news... This is our squad to play England Counties:
Image

And this one for Nations Cup:
Image

I'd say it's the strongest line-up we've ever sent to June test window. A very pleasant surprise.

Posts: 175
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:00

Armchair Fan wrote:I'd say it's the strongest line-up we've ever sent to June test window. A very pleasant surprise.

Surprising Spanish Union like always :).But this year your team looks more composed than ever to be fair.

Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby amz » Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:17

If that is the strongest lineup I think England Counties will be in serious trouble. When they played CSM Bucharest reserves here or youngsters from SL they weren't far off this level.

A full test T2 regular side, as Spain, may be too much for them. I really hope Leones will beat them with a big margin.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:54

I don't know, our butt is still sore after they beat Spain 6-55 six years ago. And if you have a closer look to both squads, most of French pros won't be playing against England Counties because they are contractually obliged to rest for four weeks after the end of their club season.

The most interesting thing is to keep giving high quality minutes to youngsters from last two seasons U20: Jorba, Gimeno, and Zabala plus newcomers Mateu and Rábago.

Posts: 828
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby olivier » Thu, 18 May 2017, 17:01

Spain keep calling new Spanish-French ! Spain is working hard to build its strongest ever squad to beat Romania and take the Europe 1 spot.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 18 May 2017, 18:03

There are only two really new additions born in France, Fred Quercy and Rudy Derrieux. Custoja and Guillaume were involved in last REC (Custoja got injured before playing, Guillaume only played some minutes against Georgia). And Andréa Rabago has been playing for U20s.

I'd say the French way is close to expiring and except for some guys that we try in Nations Cup (just have a look to names that were called for 2016 tournament and never came back) what we have right now in seniors, U20 and U18 is what we will have for the next 15 years. At least some of them are still very young.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 20 May 2017, 16:08

First División de Honor semifinal, VRAC Quesos Entrepinares v Sanitas Alcobendas, is now live:

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 22 May 2017, 12:37

As written by Canalina in the Small News topic, División de Honor will have a Valladolid local derby as its final again. VRAC beat Alcobendas 19-6 and El Salvador took its revenge over Santboiana (32-16). Final will be broadcast live by Eurosport 2 Spain... but due to its scheduling requests, it will take place at the very same time as Real Valladolid football game :oops:


User avatar
Posts: 2379
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 May 2017, 20:35

Will it be also free streamed somewhere?
I suppose not

The El Salvador's sponsor Hermi, a rabbit meat seller with a tender little rabbit as logo, is quite weird for we italians. Even more the twitter message with a bunny head and a big knife! https://s7.postimg.org/91xttknor/Copia_ ... _copia.jpg
The meat of rabbit is eaten also in Italy (my grandparents used to eat it quite often) but it's like an hidden habit; I've never seen in Italy an advertising about rabbit meat

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 23 May 2017, 23:29

I'd say I've only eaten rabbit once, it isn't bizarre but we don't consume it very often either :D

I don't think it will be live streamed for free, although the final should be uploaded to FER YouTube channel.

User avatar
Posts: 1804
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby iul » Wed, 24 May 2017, 04:46

Over here rabbit meat is suuuuuper expensive, so it's no wonder we don't each much of it

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 24 May 2017, 06:06

I must say it isn't the most bizarre meat ever eaten in Spain. In Valencia they used to eat paella with water vole... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwestern_water_vole

Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 13:34
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Dosnar » Wed, 24 May 2017, 12:43

Armchair Fan wrote:I must say it isn't the most bizarre meat ever eaten in Spain. In Valencia they used to eat paella with water vole... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwestern_water_vole


Not that it was consumed, it was a delicatessen.
Now it is a protected species and indicates that the water of the marshes is not contaminated.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 27 May 2017, 03:01

We've got update official figures on registered players in Spain, from Spanish government

Year - Players - Rank - Share - Growth
1990 - 14,070 - 26th - 0.61% - X
1999 - 14,538 - 24th - 0.57% - X
2004 - 15,973 - 29th - 0,53% - X
2005 - 16,092 - 26th - 0.51% - +0.8%
2006 - 16,873 - 26th - 0.53% - +4.9%
2007 - 17,346 - 29th - 0.52% - +2.8%
2008 - 19,448 - 27th - 0.57% - +12.1%
2009 - 19,770 - 27th - 0.57% - +1.7%
2010 - 20,972 - 26th - 0.60% - +6.1%
2011 - 22,347 - 26th - 0.63% - +6.6%
2012 - 24,849 - 24th - 0.71% - +11.2%
2013 - 23,763 - 24th - 0.70% - -4.4% (FER's financial crisis)
2014 - 25,892 - 22nd - 0.76% - +9%
2015 - 28,479 - 23rd - 0.81% - +10%
2016 - 31,692 - 22nd - 0.88% - +11.3%


Gender breakdown
Year: Gender 1 - Players - Share - Rank / Gender 2 - Players - Share - Rank - Growth
2011: Men - 21,037 - 94.1% - 21st / Women - 1,310 - 5.9% - 43rd
2012: Men - 23,195 - 93.3% - 18th - +10.3% / Women - 1,654 - 6.7% - 35th - +26%
2013: Men - 22,083 - 92.9% - 18th - -4.8% / Women - 1,680 - 7.1% - 33rd - +1.6% (f****** FER crisis)
2014: Men - 23,319 - 90.1% - 19th - +5.6% / Women - 2,573 - 9.9% - 30th - +53%
2015: Men - 25,341 - 89% - 18th - +8.7% / Women - 3,138 - 11% - 28th - +22%
2016: Men - 27,361 - 86.3% - 18th - +8% / Women - 4,331 - 13.7% - 22nd - +38%


Clubs
2006 – 205 rugby clubs in Spain
2007 – 209
2008 – 210
2009 – 212
2010 – 211
2011 – 214
2012 – 218
2013 – 224
2014 – 226
2015 – 259
2016 - 282

Posts: 859
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 27 May 2017, 03:37

Armchair Fan wrote:We've got update official figures on registered players in Spain, from Spanish government

Year - Players - Rank - Share - Growth
1990 - 14,070 - 26th - 0.61% - X
1999 - 14,538 - 24th - 0.57% - X
2004 - 15,973 - 29th - 0,53% - X
2005 - 16,092 - 26th - 0.51% - +0.8%
2006 - 16,873 - 26th - 0.53% - +4.9%
2007 - 17,346 - 29th - 0.52% - +2.8%
2008 - 19,448 - 27th - 0.57% - +12.1%
2009 - 19,770 - 27th - 0.57% - +1.7%
2010 - 20,972 - 26th - 0.60% - +6.1%
2011 - 22,347 - 26th - 0.63% - +6.6%
2012 - 24,849 - 24th - 0.71% - +11.2%
2013 - 23,763 - 24th - 0.70% - -4.4% (FER's financial crisis)
2014 - 25,892 - 22nd - 0.76% - +9%
2015 - 28,479 - 23rd - 0.81% - +10%
2016 - 31,692 - 22nd - 0.88% - +11.3%


Gender breakdown
Year: Gender 1 - Players - Share - Rank / Gender 2 - Players - Share - Rank - Growth
2011: Men - 21,037 - 94.1% - 21st / Women - 1,310 - 5.9% - 43rd
2012: Men - 23,195 - 93.3% - 18th - +10.3% / Women - 1,654 - 6.7% - 35th - +26%
2013: Men - 22,083 - 92.9% - 18th - -4.8% / Women - 1,680 - 7.1% - 33rd - +1.6% (f****** FER crisis)
2014: Men - 23,319 - 90.1% - 19th - +5.6% / Women - 2,573 - 9.9% - 30th - +53%
2015: Men - 25,341 - 89% - 18th - +8.7% / Women - 3,138 - 11% - 28th - +22%
2016: Men - 27,361 - 86.3% - 18th - +8% / Women - 4,331 - 13.7% - 22nd - +38%


Clubs
2006 – 205 rugby clubs in Spain
2007 – 209
2008 – 210
2009 – 212
2010 – 211
2011 – 214
2012 – 218
2013 – 224
2014 – 226
2015 – 259
2016 - 282


Those are some very respectable figure regarding the growth of the game. The key for the game will be maintaining those growth rates for further extended periods particularly as the player numbers grow.

Posts: 709
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 03:45
Location: Australia
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby RugInt » Sat, 27 May 2017, 12:52

The game on 3 June is not a test match. It's being billed as Spain XV v England Counties. Spain will not be awarding test caps.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 02 Jun 2017, 11:12

On FER website it appears as a fully capped game, but we all know how serious they are... There have been some tweaks in the squad for this game:
Image

VRAC Quesos Entrepinares became Spanish champions again after beating SilverStorm El Salvador in an ugly local derby (6-15):


And La Vila gained promotion to División de Honor after beating UBU-Colina (Burgos) in a very close home and away play-off. Burgos will have another chance against Getxo, which finished 11th in División de Honor.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 15:01

Spain v England Counties streaming (click on Atletismo / Rugby):
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/mas-tdp/directo/

HT 7-33. It's getting very ugly... Our attack is ok, but defense... :shock:

FT, 28-45. Nice comeback but it wasn't enough to compensate that awful first half.

Posts: 828
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby olivier » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 16:48

Armchair Fan wrote:Spain v England Counties streaming (click on Atletismo / Rugby):
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/mas-tdp/directo/

HT 7-33. It's getting very ugly... Our attack is ok, but defense... :shock:

FT, 28-45. Nice comeback but it wasn't enough to compensate that awful first half.

Did Rabago start ?

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 17:02

No, he entered the field in the second half. Quite good.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 04 Jun 2017, 20:01

Very interesting radio show in French from Madrid Town Hall station about the close ties between Spanish and French rugby:
https://podcast.m21radio.es/2017/6/2017 ... 6_2017.mp3

--

Spain v England Counties full game:

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Neptune and 5 guests