Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby STMKY » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 12:19

Armchair Fan wrote:Aviron Bayonnais published in its website Guillaume Rouet won't play Spain-Romania game (although they say it's the first REC Game) :x :oops:
http://www.abrugby.fr/article/29/01/201 ... ction-2159

Will he play with Russia?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 15:45

Óscar Puente, Valladolid mayor, talks again. From Radio MARCA:
- "At the head of Spanish Rugby Union there is a clear obstacle, not to call him in a worse way, for Valladolid rugby"
- "Spanish Rugby Union isn't able to make Spanish rugby progress and has opted to harm Valladolid rugby, it's a way to balance its performance"
- "Clubs and our city must work so this run over against Valladolid doesn't become a burden for the progress of this sport here"
- "We're already working on league semifinals and final, we will try to do everything that was expected for Cup final and sellout Zorrilla stadium as a message for FER and the rest of Spanish rugby, which should rather look itself against Valladolid mirror instead of showing jealous reactions"
- "Which city in Spain has two clubs dominating a sport in the same way Valladolid does in rugby, apart from Madrid and Barcelona? (...) When Madrid or Barcelona concentrate everything it seems it disturbs people less"
- "Our relationship with FER in previous Cup finals was a torture"
- "We must keep working to make rugby grow in spite of FER, and especially his president, who will be an obstacle as he was for the last two years and will keep being one"
- "I will ask Spanish Sports Council for a meeting" (to protest for the treatment received from FER)
- "We are already working on a professional league like basketball has, Valladolid will offer all the infrastructure they need to put their headquarters here if possible"
- "We will rethink a lot of things, FER receives a lot of support from Valladolid town hall and regional government"
- "There is no issue with Valencia, they can host Cup final in a brilliant way, they've got fans, young players... But I must be clear, we are mad at FER and their way to deal with this issue"
- "Valladolid didn't deserve this treatment"

He's drunk out of success.
REC 2018 never happened. Please respect my beliefs

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 15:51

I am starting to like the guy :p

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 16:33

And he was interviewed by Cadena SER Valladolid too. Apart from repeating many of the previous statements:
- "FER president didn't decide for the sake of Spanish rugby, but to benefit the rest of Spanish rugby in detriment of Valladolid, the ones putting Spanish rugby in the map"
- "We asked him to contemplate the possibility of giving hosting rights for three or five years at the same time he offered this final and he declined because he said he couldn't take such a decision without knowing its finalists. The reality is he didn't because he doesn't want in any case that Valladolid repeats, he already didn't want last year and hated 2016 final"
- "He is upset because everything that has happened for the last two years isn't because of any of his help, but thanks to Valladolid and its clubs. A smarter guy would make the most of others work. If you can't, don't disturb. And from the first minute he was a nuisance"
- About 2016 final: "FER just found out it. Cup finals have been a financial flop for clubs taking part in them until 2015, when it was held in Pepe Rojo (the small Valladolid pitch (...). The union only put obstacles. The president was only bothered about where was his seat, where FER wifes were going to sit and covering all Mahou adverts (Mahou is a brewery, FER is sponsored by Heineken). He even menaced with suspending the game if this adverts weren't covered. FER didn't do anything at all"
- "FER president hasn't been able to increase Heineken sponsorship since then" (this is false, 250,000€ in 2016, 390,000€ now)
- "He already wanted to take away the final from us last year, but he wasn't brave enough (...). Last year Valladolid clubs thought of selling final naming rights to Carrefour, this year it's up to FER. He's been learning from all what clubs have done, he's parasitizing all what clubs do"
- "I assure you our clubs will only come with 2,000€ from Valencia, if there is any benefit at all. This is the prize FER gives to those who have done so much for Spanish rugby" (they are promised 10% share)
- "He needs to harm top 2 clubs so they lower their standards and we achieve an even worse league than we already have, a closer league but deprived of quality"
- "Alfonso Feijóo is an enemy of Valladolid rugby, this is pretty clear"
- "If he wants to promote rugby in Spain, move Spain-Romania to Valencia and let us our final here. Play with your product, not with ours"
- "He's a burden for Spanish rugby"
- "Feijóo has declared war"

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 18:01

FER releases a 30-player squad for REC games against Russia and Romania, although we already know Guillaume Rouet may miss the latter:
Front Row
Beñat Auzqui (Grenoble, ProD2)
Marco Pinto (Béziers, ProD2)
Jonathan García (Nevers, ProD2)
Jesús Moreno (Provence Rugby, Fédérale 1)
Juan Anaya (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)
Fernando López (AMPO Ordizia, Liga Heineken)

Locks & Back Row
Gautier Gibouin (Nevers, ProD2)
Lucas Guillaume (Narbonne, ProD2)
Pierre Barthere (Rouen, Fédérale 1)
Aníbal Bonan (Bagnères, Fédérale 1)
David Barrera (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1)
Thibaut Visensang (Tyrosse, Fédérale 1)
Víctor Sánchez (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken)
Matt Foulds (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken)
Kalo Kalo Gavidi (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)
Jaime Nava (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)

Scrum-half
Guillaume Rouet (Bayonne, ProD2)
Sébastien Rouet (Narbonne, ProD2)

Fly-half & Centre
Mathieu Bélie (Nevers, ProD2)
Christopher Ruiz (USAP, ProD2)
Dan Snee (Havelock North, Mitre 10)
Fabien Perrin (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1)
Alvar Gimeno (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)

Wing & Fullback
Charlie Malié (Pau, Top14)
Sébastien Ascarat (Montauban, ProD2)
Ignacio Contardi (Niort, Fédérale 1)
Brad Linklater (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)
Javier Carrión (La Vila, Liga Heineken)
Federico Casteglioni (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)
Julen Goia (AMPO Ordizia, Liga Heineken)

OK, latest news, Bayonne has rewritten its prior statement on Guillaume Rouet and now doesn't day a word on Rouet missing Romania game.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 22:36

Again, this is weak at lock.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 23:07

There isn't much left. Villanueva or De Juan opted to play 7s, Mora only came for Nations Cup and Gonzalez has disappeared in latest games.

We're way more afraid of having only six guys for the front row. Civil is MIA, Zabala is too young and our national league doesn't provide people to scrum at test level.

It may not be worth of a RWC ticket, but if it isn't it's probably because we don't deserve it.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 08:08

Gonzalez and Quercy are injured. Sad Gimenez didn't opt for Spain. A top level centre is also missing.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 10:48

Brad Linklater talking to World Rugby website:
https://www.worldrugby.org/news/306648

--

From all the info gathered in different media about that potential pro league, it seems all is based in a meeting between VRAC, El Salvador, Alcobendas and Independiente, the pipe dream being to convince some Portuguese teams. It shouldn't necessarily be a full league replacing current national competitions, but an expanded Copa Ibérica format as we've been hearing about for the last year or so.

Does that convince me? Not too much. Independiente is heavily reliant on making good choices each Summer with is signed players, it has almost no home-grown players; Alcobendas already decided at the last minute this year not too support that expanded Copa Ibérica; and Portuguese teams are currently quite far from standards, especially from a marketing and media POV.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 11:07

This will mean the complete refusal of Spain and Portugal from the Continental Shield?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 11:09

I have no idea. SilverStorm El Salvador have said more than once that they are willing to play Continental Shield but only as Spanish champions, not replacing others just because they didn't want to fulfill their their "duty".

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 23:01

As always, we've got a change in Spanish squad. Ruiz is injured (again, it must be the third or fourth time he delays his first cap with Spain) and replaced by Bastien Fuster (Aviron Bayonnais).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 01 Feb 2018, 23:11

Both Valladolid mayor and FER president were interviewed by Play Rugby SER podcast this week (separately).

Valladolid mayor basically showed no repentance about what he said earlier this week. Feijóo said he didn't want to respond directly, pointed out that some of the lies from Puente are easily found in budget papers published on FER website (which is true) and admitted he menaced to cancel 2016 Cup final by calling Royal House of Spain because at 2 AM Valladolid hadn't fulfilled its promises on hiding Mahou ad panels (Heineken competitor).

On 'menaces' of holding League semifinals and final at Zorrilla or creating a professional league the president gave his "go ahead", reminding in the end that would mean to have more than one big day in Spanish club rugby this season, so it's a win-win situation, and that he already held talks both in Madrid and Lisboa last year about creating an Iberian League involving 6 Spanish clubs and 2 Portuguese clubs but didn't come to fruition.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 11:16

Portuguese clubs seems unable to understand what progress means.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 03 Feb 2018, 11:08

Liga Heineken standings after a few postponed games took place last weekend:

AMPO Ordizia 27-26 Senor Independiente
Getxo Artea 17-29 Sanitas Alcobendas
Complutense Cisneros 39-26 Bizkaia Gernika

Highlights

Round 16 is all played today so national team can meet tomorrow.

13:30 CET – Sanitas Alcobendas v FC Barcelona

14:00 CET – UE Santboiana v Getxo Artea

16:00 – Senor Independiente v VRAC Quesos Entrepinares

16:00 – SilverStorm El Salvador v Complutense Cisneros
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/mas-tdp/directo/ (only watchable under proxy)

16:00 – AMPO Ordizia v La Vila
http://www.gitb.eus/ (look for "Zuzenean")

16:00 – Bizkaia Gernika v Hernani

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 11:01

Great interview from Revista 22 to Santiago Santos ahead of REC 2018. I've never heard him so optimistic:
- What are we expecting from the game against Russia?
- It will be a very hard game because everything is at stake for Russians. That's why their preparation has been maximal, they are a good team and we believe they are on par with us. In that context, and let me repeat that everything is at stake for them, they're going to give their lives, trying not to allow us to play our game, blocking the game. First 15 or 20 minutes will be brutal.

- What kind of atmosphere are we going to find at Krasnodar stadium?
- We must be always prepared for the worst. They are playing their cards and they will try to make the most out of them. But the change of venue -from Sochi to Krasnodar- is mostly due to conjunctural factors, due to a series of issues they've had, so the switch is a surprise for them. A different thing is whether they will try to make the most of that change to sellout the stadium, I don't know if they will be able to. But we are prpared anyway for an adverse atmosphere and a full stadium, which is a very likely scenario.

- What do you know about Russia's warm-up?
- I try to follow it at maximum and so far I know they are more prepared than us, which is a key info. I believe they've done it way better than last year, that's my feeling. It's not easy for Russia to prepare this championship. Their bigger disadvantage is having their game outside their season because they use to play from March to November. But in the latest years, the fact that their teams are competing in Challenge Cup allows them to compete at a higher level. Although it also makes them lack some resting time. And at high performance it isn't easy to manager resting times.

Taking all of this into account and to our regret, they have done a good thing this year. For Hong Kong's Cup of Nations they put into rest most of their key players, those who were most charged of games, and that was a good thing for them. They've managed players rest better and they've had more training camps than us, for this game it's possible that they arrive after a month together even if it's true that for some time they hadn't got all their players available. I believe they have the better preparation they could. Even in small details that last year failed, now they've managed them way better. For example, for last round of Challenge Cup their Enisei players, which are the base of the national team, didn't play.

- Which changes do you expect in Russia's squad?
- There won't be significant changes. Simplikevich, one of their key players since he's a very big wing, strong, quick and dangerous, is coming out of injury and they keep saying he's not going to make it, although I believe he will end up playing. We can only trust news coming from Russia but not a lot since they can try to fool us. So it's up to us to be prepared as if this player was playing at his best. If he finally doesn't make it or isn't at his best, much better for us, but like with the stadium issue, we must think of the worst possible scenario.

The other player who looks like injured is Bitiev. A number 3, but only their second chice. Their first choice Zykov is alright, last year didn't play, in fact last year neither Zykov or Simplikevich were (against us). In this case the lack of Bitiev will be less noticeable because whenever Zykov is available he plays almost 80 minutes, so it doesn't matter so much who is their second number 3 if the first choice plays the full game. Anyway, their third choice is Pronenko, a very experienced man playing at a decent level. So I don't think Bitiev's absence will be relevant and I will always doubt about Simplikevich's.

- What are Russia's strengths for this game?
- Russia is a team that attacks very well. I think they've got better attacking skill than Romania and Georgia. When they are in possession of the ball, they deploy a very dynamic game, with mobile forwards, very quick backs, good passes, lots of speed... They make a type of game very close to what we do, with very developed attacking structures. Their main strength is their attack and that's one of the keys of the game.

- What would you have liked to do that you couldn't about Spain's warm-up?
- Lots of things, but then you've got what's possible and what isn't. We would have loved to spend more time together, at all levels and in very different times. That said, we arrive in the best conditions of the last five years, for sure. We are a group that has continuity in its game, we arrive with our best players available and with a team that has been playing together regularly. In other conditions, we could have played another game together. Instead of two test matches in November, we could have had three, instead of Brazil we could have faced a better ranked team, we could have gone with our best team to Nations Cup... Basically having played more time together, for example another three-day training camp.

But we must rate very highly how much training conditions have improved. When I arrived, I had to face as the president did, the worst financial years of FER. So from holding training camps with very limited resources, little by little we've managed to improve the environment. We've got a larger staff and more players at each training camp, and that was improved steadily. We don't match Romania, Russia or Georgia, who often call 34 players, enjoy 10 people in their staff and more days training together. But we're happy because we've switched from a very limited situation to another where we've got a little more and we can now rely on 30 players and 7 people in the staff thanks to FER efforts, even it is still a bit far away from our rivals.

- Could you call all the players you wanted?
- All of them. All the limits were put based on my criteria. For the first time since I became national coach. It's true that now that we are reaching the key point, where Romania has 15 points and we've got 13 with real chances of battling for the first place, players have better reasons to face their clubs, clubs give us more respect, Jean Michel Aguirre task became a lot easier... So it's the first time we arrive with all our players without questions. Apart from the 30 players called, we could have another starting XV of a similar level. It's true we've got very good players that didn't come because they didn't spend enough time with the team or aren't well geared, but our current squad is a true luxury.

- What scenario must we think of to reach first place, considering the importance that bonus points we didn't reach last year will have?
- At this stage looking back isn't worth it. It's true last year we could have earned more bonus points. It escaped from us against Russia, but we were able to prevent their defensive bonus in the dying minutes, which could be important. Against Romania we were only a kick away from bonus as we lost by 10 and we were denied a try, as well as gifting some penalties. We were very close to that bonus. Against Germany it was pretty much the same, we almost clinched it. But it's not worth the effort. We must learn from mistakes if we want to grow as a team

It's clear that with 16 points, four wins without bonus, we're not going to reach first spot. We must work on the hypothesis that Romania is going to win its three home games with bonus, so 15 points which would put them with 30. So we would need to reach 30 and win the goalaverage against them. If we reach 31 we nearly secure first place. But reaching 31 means reaching 18 points, four wins and two bonus points. I believe it's doable but extremely hard as well. We must be realistic but it's not an impossible mission.

- And what if we don't clinch first place?
- It's important to talk about second place if we don't finish first. We must be optimistic and work on the basis we're going to finish first. But being realistic, it's much harder than finishing second. That second place would cost us 12 points. By reaching that number, which would mean 25 points for Spain, Russia would be almost out of reach since they must play Romania and has only 9 points. So for them, reaching 25 points is very hard. 12 points secure us repechage path, so winning three games without bonus, and that doesn't even imply we must win in Russia, or two games and four bonus points would also do the job.

- But repechage is also a lot harder than it should have been, since Tonga's place is now occupied by Samoa, and what should have been Uruguay is now Canada...
- Yeah, that will be an issue for Romania in their repechage (laughs). In any case, reaching a World Cup isn't easy. It's very hard. We are very optimistic but we must remind ourselves how hard it is even if we know we are able to reach it and that we can reach it directly, since repechage can also be extremely hard... That said, in case of going into repechage, I honestly believe we can beat Samoa, and let's not forget we should play beforehand against Portugal, so let's not underrate Portugal or overrate Samoa. If we go into final repechage tournament and have to play against Canada, we will have to make it, but let's hope it isn't necessary. Let's hope we go to Japan, whether it's the easy or the hard way, because I'm convinced we've got the team to do so.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 16:45, edited 6 times in total.

Postby 4N » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 13:28

That was a good interview, very candid. Will be interesting to see if Simplikevich plays.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 20:43

Liga Heineken - Week 16 - Results & Standings
Senor Independiente 17 - 27 VRAC Quesos Entrepinares
SilverStorm El Salvador 57 - 22 Complutense Cisneros
Sanitas Alcobendas 64 - 12 FC Barcelona
UE Santboiana 59 - 33 Getxo Artea
AMPO Ordizia 32 - 0 CR La Vila
Bizkaia Gernika 23 - 20 Hernani CRE

Highlights

--

FER has released an almost final 24 players squad made of those who will travel tomorrow to Krasnodar:
http://www.ferugby.es/noticias2.php?tit ... 0a%20Rusia

From the previous list, Victor Sánchez, Matthew Foulds, Javier Carrión, Alvar Gimeno, Julen Goia y Federico Casteglioni (all from Liga Heineken) haven't been retained. To me the biggest surprise is Carrión. Maybe the absence of Christopher Ruiz (10-12) and calling Bastien Fuster (13-14-15) has left him finally out... Let's see if we don't regret this choice, because he was truly outstanding in Sevens World Series earlier this year and is allowing La Vila to avoid relegation.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 16:19

FER has published a 31-men list for the game against Romania. Jonathan García is out for at least 6 months, Xerom Civil and Quentin García have been called:
Front Row
Beñat Auzqui (Grenoble, ProD2)
Marco Pinto (Béziers, ProD2)
Xerom Civil (Carcassonne, ProD2)
Quentin García (Chambéry, Fédérale 1)
Juan Anaya (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)

Locks & Back Row
Gautier Gibouin (Nevers, ProD2)
Lucas Guillaume (Narbonne, ProD2)
Pierre Barthere (Rouen, Fédérale 1)
Aníbal Bonan (Bagnères, Fédérale 1)
David Barrera (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1)
Thibaut Visensang (Tyrosse, Fédérale 1)
Jaime Nava (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)

Scrum-half
Guillaume Rouet (Bayonne, ProD2)

Fly-half & Centre
Mathieu Bélie (Nevers, ProD2)
Dan Snee (Havelock North, Mitre 10)
Fabien Perrin (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1)

Wing & Fullback
Charlie Malié (Pau, Top14)
Sébastien Ascarat (Montauban, ProD2)
Bastien Fuster (Bayonne, ProD2)
Ignacio Contardi (Niort, Fédérale 1)
Brad Linklater (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)
Julen Goia (AMPO Ordizia, Liga Heineken)

Anaya, Bonan, Nava, Rouet and Bélie are all said to be in doubt after the game in Krasnodar.

--

Press coverage of this weekend game:
ImageImage

And main news show mentioning the result and next game (from 50:43):
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/tele ... 8/4471019/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Boudewijn Vertonghen » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 18:45

Does anyone know? Is this whole squad of the spanish national team consisting of fully professional players
(including the ones from spanish clubs – the national players only)?

Or are there talented amateurs who played against the fully professional teams from Russia and Romania ...and won?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 19:14

Professionals at 90% if not 100%. I don't know if Alcobendas players are given jobs besides their rugby activities, or if they are paid to train junior teams... But pros. There's no fairytale here.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby JamesWales » Fri, 23 Feb 2018, 11:48

Very impressed with Spain of late, and am optimistic that Spain could be up there with Italy and Georgia in coming years.

What percentage of the players are French born? Are the Spanish born players from all of Spain, or mainly certain regions?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 23 Feb 2018, 12:08

Out of the 25 players used in these two first REC games, 13 were French-born.

Only 6 were Spanish-born, 2 from Andalucía (Barrera and Moreno), 2 from Madrid (Nava and Anaya), 1 from Catalonia (Pinto) and 1 from Basque Country (Civil). If you expand it to training squads (10/32) it's 2 from Andalucía, 2 from Madrid, 2 from Basque Country (+Goia), 2 from Valencia (Gimeno and Carrión), 1 from Catalonia and 1 from Castilla y León (Sánchez, from Salamanca, not Valladolid surprisingly enough).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 23 Feb 2018, 17:15

Our squad for the trip to Tbilisi:
Front row
Jean-Baptiste Custoja (Provence Rugby, Fédérale 1)
Quentin García (Chambéry, Fédérale 1)
Steve Barnes (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)
Alberto Blanco (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)

Locks & Back Row
David Gonzalez (Chambéry, Fédérale 1)
Manu Mora (Agde, Fédérale 1)
Asier Usárraga (Albi, Fédérale 1)
Josh Peters (Cambridge, National League 1)
Afa Tauli (UE Santboiana, Liga Heineken)

Scrum-half
David Mélé (Grenoble, ProD2)

Fly-half & Centre
Dan Snee (Hawke's Bay, Mitre 10)
Thibaut Álvarez (Pamiers, Fédérale 2)
Joan Losada (FC Barcelona, Liga Heineken)

Wing & Fullback
Mathieu Peluchon (Albi, Fédérale 1)
Julen Goia (Ordizia, Liga Heineken)

Training only
Gonzalo Núñez (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken)
Fernando González-Altés (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken)
Facundo Munilla (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)
Iñaki Mateu (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)
Jaime Mata (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)

I don't think we stand a chance, but there are pleasant surprises in the squad and people I don't know why they aren't given a rest (Moreno, Gavidi)... Peters is one of the guys Spain can select after latest Rule 8 changes by World Rugby. He wasn't born here nor has lived for the last three years in Spain, but he spent his full youth in Marbella and played for both Spain and England at U18.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Sat, 24 Feb 2018, 09:44, edited 3 times in total.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Fri, 23 Feb 2018, 17:38

Armchairfun what can u tell us about this spanish squad? Who are the best players?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum