Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Thomas » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 10:28

Am I reading too much into this? or are we talking a breakaway professional league coordinating with FER from 2019??

Just read the article, it seems to me the top table wants to do it's own thing?

too many questions in my opinion.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 10:45

That's the ultimate aim but not by any means what we will see by 2019. By 2019 I only expect the very same league we've got right now but with teams managing marketing and TV. And let's be honest, it isn't too much considering the only sponsor the league has is a FER one (Heineken) and that currently FER pays for TV coverage instead of being paid.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 17:53

This is basically what happened in England with initially "First Division Rugby", which was a forerunner to Premiership Rugby, organising the top clubs to work together for many common goals.

Calling it a "breakaway" is over dramatic imo.

Should be good, will be interesting to see if they can make and then sustain progress.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 19:46

That maybe so, but reading the arguments for and against it seems to be that there is more to it than meets the eye.

Here' another article that came out today in the Magazine 22:

https://www.revista22.es/2018/07/feijoo ... el-sabado/

I have translated it verbatim

The president of the Spanish Rugby Federation (FER), Alfonso Feijoo, will meet his word this Saturday and submit to a question of trust. "No one will resign. Neither my team nor I are people who stand in the face of adversity. We shall continue to fight, and when there is a final resolution, if this is negative, I will convene an extraordinary assembly to ratify me in the post or to dismiss me. "
So clear and resounding was the president of the Spanish Rugby Federation (FER), Alfonso Feijoo, when last May 16 announced during a press conference held at the Higher Council of Sports (CSD) What I would do in case, as final and Unfortunately it happened, World Rugby (WR) left the XV’s lions out of the classification for the World Cup of Japan 2019 by the alleged undue alignment of Mathieu Belie and Bastien Fuster, a decision that the FER recurred without success, but does not continue considering Completely unfair.
This Saturday 7th of July will be held in the INEF of Madrid an extraordinary assembly of the FER, just before the ordinary, in which Feijoo will undergo a question of confidence, something not habitual in Spanish sport, but that, however, the leader of donostiarra (not familiar with that word) He believes it is the most honest on his part given the severity of what happened with the elimination of Spain from his way to the World Cup 2019.

The president wants to have the confidence of the Assembly to go ahead with a management that since his arrival at the FER has allowed the Spanish rugby to compete at the highest level, both in the XV and in the Seven and the same in male and female category, while the debt that was found on arrival at the Ferraz headquarters has been considerably reduced. Alfonso Feijoo believes that presiding the FER is, above all, a matter of confidence, hence want to renew it to continue fighting for Spanish rugby and its expansion both nationally and internationally

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 20:01

No news, just FER stating in a press release what Feijóo himself confirmed weeks ago, that the General Assembly would hold a vote on whether he stays or goes.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 10:42

EL Salvador has withdrawn from playing in the continental shield apparent weighing the Pro's and Con's is not worth it economically.

So no Spanish team for the upcoming season then.

https://www.revista22.es/2018/07/hemos- ... en-europa/

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 10:57

Yes, I posted it on the Continental Shield topic. A bit hard to understand considering they have changed their mind in just a fortnight. There is people who even think they just intended to make their local rivals VRAC look bad and convince some players to sign...

Ridiculous.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 11:11

Armchair Fan wrote:Yes, I posted it on the Continental Shield topic. A bit hard to understand considering they have changed their mind in just a fortnight. There is people who even think they just intended to make their local rivals VRAC look bad and convince some players to sign...

Ridiculous.

I missed that one, just seen it.. well at least you can be angry at the whole area not just the one club :D :D :D . it feels 2 steps forward 1 step back with Spanish Rugby.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 11:35

To be fair if there is, on balance, nothing in it for them why should they bother?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 11:41

EPCR allegedly gives 19,200€ to cover travel costs (although a trip to Moscow like two seasons ago may cost up to 30,000€), FER gives nothing and the competition has no appeal to Valladolid fans. That's their reasoning, which I don't share, but it's up to them to make decisions... With that money they are able to sign two Kiwis easily so to clinch some tin trophy.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 13:32

So obviously the Continental Shield is supposed to offer higher competition for these clubs. But how many people actually show up for the games? It doesn't seem like they make much money off of them and are just spending money on travel that could be spent elsewhere. Couldn't they spend the €10,000+ on local development instead?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 10:18

Feijóo has been supported by a large majority at FER General Assembly and will stay until at least 2020.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 19:25

FER has confirmed its schedule for 2018-2019 season:
http://ferugby.es/userfiles/file/2018-1 ... 202018.pdf

It includes three test matches with rivals yet to be known (they claim to have asked World Rugby for at least one higher ranked side...) and up to five mini-training camps for the national team. I fear this is just an admission that it is needed to rebuild the full team and we will try to avoid relegation with the tools available at home.

Further training camps have also been set for Emerging 7s and U18, but U20 look again very short on preparation. It seems like they have given up on one generation and are making a bet on the following one, since the intention is to increase U20 activity for 2019-2020 season.

Regarding club competition, Liga Heineken will start on September 16 and finish on May 26. Cup format is retained with final set on April 28. Supercopa will be next October 14 and Copa Ibérica will take place on January 6. Discussion are ongoing with FPR so to promote again a U18 Copa Ibérica as it used to be custom before crisis.

Budget keeps dancing around 4 M€, with 4.3 M€ expected at the end of 2018 and 3.9 M€ for 2019. But don't forget a lot of effort is put on sevens and women's so an increase doesn't necessarily mean a better performance of XV. Debt is currently under 300,000€ down from 1.5 M€ in 2013.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 15:11

A couple of interesting news this week:

- Daniel Hourcade is going to have a role in Sanitas Alcobendas preseason. He is also expected to give a coaching master class for Catalan Rugby Union:
https://www.revista22.es/2018/07/hourca ... lcobendas/

- A rugby camp for teenagers sponsored by NZRU and New Zealand embassy, I suspect that promoted by Brad Linklater, sold out its 100 places in 24 hours (750€ each...). At least a Tier 1 union is going to see it's possible to do some business over here:
https://www.elconfidencial.com/deportes ... o_1591868/

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum