Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 12 Aug 2014, 17:49
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby marino » Thu, 22 Jan 2015, 10:10

Working Class Rugger wrote:
marino wrote:First of all good night from Spain.

I will try to tell you what happened and what is the Spanish Rugby Union (SPU) going to do.

DEBT

As someone has written, Mr. Cancho spend a lot of money that the SPU didn´t have. This has affected considerably the U-19 & u-18 national teams to the point that their appearances in international tournaments are in danger. However the new president is doing his job well and has negotiate with CSD and WR a path to follow in order to redirect the situation and balance the economy of the SPU and have the chance to continue competing in international tournaments.

PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE

Another thing someone asked was about the attempt of creating a professional league. The problem we have here is always the same, almost every club in Spain is amateur, except 10-15 which are "semi-professional", each club wants everything for him and sharing players in a franchise is difficult to do because there´s always the same discussion about how much money and how many players are going to put the other teams, how is going to be the money distributed, etc.

To sum up in Spain and in northern hemisphere in general a franchise league is not in our mentality, we are used to support our team.

On the other hand, Spanish teams are bringing foreign player which are increasing the level of the spanish league (Division de Honor). This would help to have better players and a better national team.

BUDGET

The SPU budget was 2.5 million euros. Is a small budget that was bad administered.

FUTURE

The goal of the spanish national coach, Santiago Santos, is to achieve the second place of the ENC1 and compete equal against Georgia and Rumania, which is possible as was shown last year with a result of 17-24 against Georgia and 32-6 against Rumania, both lost but far away from other matches lost by more than 40-50 points. This is obvious due to players which are in France because the local league has not the same level, but will help to improve and show a path to follow for young players.

If you have any question just ask. I hope you understand a little bit of the situation. ;)


What is the likelihood of the Division De Honor moving from a semi-pro league with a number of imports to a professional league? What would it take to get it to that level?


Well, the idea is to improve the level of the local players and make the competition more attractive to Spanish media. For example, there is a competition in Spain, Called Copa del Rey (King´s Cup is the literal translation), the final of the competition was held twice in Palencia´s stadium (8,000 seats) and the national sports channel broadcast the match live because it was something attractive to people. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/2640 ... 17.jpg?v=0

Where is the funny thing, this stadium is only for rugby because of the disappearance of the football team in that city and the national team does not play here, plays in Madrid in a stadium (if we can call it like that) without proper seats. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/K1MV6zsrCY8/0.jpg

I think it would take a few years to achieve a professional league, but everything has relation with the national team, if it goes well in competition people look better to the sport and appears more in media which means that companies will come and sponsor rugby.

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 12 Aug 2014, 17:49
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby marino » Thu, 22 Jan 2015, 10:22

thatrugbyguy wrote:What the support like in Spain? I know when Australia played a test match against Spain about 10 years ago there were about 10,000 in attendance .


As i answered just above this comment, the stadium we have has no seats, so the problem is that the people who goes to the matches are always the same. Think about it, would you go to a place without seats, cold, and you know your country is going to loose? of course, in my case i go wherever it takes, but still people who prefer staying at home watching Ireland Vs England instead of go to the stadium and see Spain Vs Georgia.

Now the attendance is between 5,000-10,000. There are a lot of people who like rugby in Spain, enough to fill a 50,000 stadium, but is what i said, people prefer VI Nations than ENC1.

Posts: 885
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 22 Jan 2015, 12:22

marino wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
marino wrote:First of all good night from Spain.

I will try to tell you what happened and what is the Spanish Rugby Union (SPU) going to do.

DEBT

As someone has written, Mr. Cancho spend a lot of money that the SPU didn´t have. This has affected considerably the U-19 & u-18 national teams to the point that their appearances in international tournaments are in danger. However the new president is doing his job well and has negotiate with CSD and WR a path to follow in order to redirect the situation and balance the economy of the SPU and have the chance to continue competing in international tournaments.

PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE

Another thing someone asked was about the attempt of creating a professional league. The problem we have here is always the same, almost every club in Spain is amateur, except 10-15 which are "semi-professional", each club wants everything for him and sharing players in a franchise is difficult to do because there´s always the same discussion about how much money and how many players are going to put the other teams, how is going to be the money distributed, etc.

To sum up in Spain and in northern hemisphere in general a franchise league is not in our mentality, we are used to support our team.

On the other hand, Spanish teams are bringing foreign player which are increasing the level of the spanish league (Division de Honor). This would help to have better players and a better national team.

BUDGET

The SPU budget was 2.5 million euros. Is a small budget that was bad administered.

FUTURE

The goal of the spanish national coach, Santiago Santos, is to achieve the second place of the ENC1 and compete equal against Georgia and Rumania, which is possible as was shown last year with a result of 17-24 against Georgia and 32-6 against Rumania, both lost but far away from other matches lost by more than 40-50 points. This is obvious due to players which are in France because the local league has not the same level, but will help to improve and show a path to follow for young players.

If you have any question just ask. I hope you understand a little bit of the situation. ;)


What is the likelihood of the Division De Honor moving from a semi-pro league with a number of imports to a professional league? What would it take to get it to that level?


Well, the idea is to improve the level of the local players and make the competition more attractive to Spanish media. For example, there is a competition in Spain, Called Copa del Rey (King´s Cup is the literal translation), the final of the competition was held twice in Palencia´s stadium (8,000 seats) and the national sports channel broadcast the match live because it was something attractive to people. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/2640 ... 17.jpg?v=0

Where is the funny thing, this stadium is only for rugby because of the disappearance of the football team in that city and the national team does not play here, plays in Madrid in a stadium (if we can call it like that) without proper seats. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/K1MV6zsrCY8/0.jpg

I think it would take a few years to achieve a professional league, but everything has relation with the national team, if it goes well in competition people look better to the sport and appears more in media which means that companies will come and sponsor rugby.


I actually watched a Copa final played at that stadium via YouTube a few years back.

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Mon, 02 Feb 2015, 08:00

beber wrote:Spanish squad to face Russia

Props
Franck Labbe (CA Lormont, France)
Fernando Lopez (RC Massy, France)
Agustin Ortiz (US Nafarroa, France)
Francisco Javier Sanz (Bathco Independiente)

Hookers
Juan Anaya (Bathco Independiente)
Beñat Auzqui (Union Bordeaux-Bègles, France)

Locks
David Gonzalez (USO Nevers, France)
Jesus Recuerda (Pays d'Aix RC, France)
Iñaki Villanueva (CR Cisneros)

Backrow
David Barrera-Howart (RC Tricastin, France)
Gauthier Gibouin (US Montauban, France)
Mathieu Roca (Stade Rodez, France)
Thibaut Visensang (Aviron Bayonnais, France)

Scrumhalves
Pablo Feijoo (CR Cisneros)
Guillaume Rouet (Aviron Bayonnais, France)

Flyhalf
Dan Snee (Valladolid RAC)

Centres
Angel Lopez (CR Cisneros)
Jaime Nava (CA Périgueux, France)

Wingers
Sébastien Ascarat (FC Auch, France)
Julen Goia (Biarritz Olympique, France)
Marcos Poggi (CA Lormont, France)

Fullback
Bradley Linklater (Gexto RT)

+ an additional back will be announced soon


Some changes in the squad. Thibault Visensang is finally out and won't make his debut. :(
Mathieu Roca is also out. So now the back row is not the best possible at all...
Javier de Juan and Santiago Tobal are in.
Martin Heredia finally in.

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Mon, 02 Feb 2015, 19:08

My starting XV :
1. Franck Labbe
2. Benat Auzqui
3. Agustin Ortiz
4. David Gonzalez
5. Jesus Recuerda
6. Gauthier Giboin
7. David Barrera-Howart
8. Jaime Nava
9. Guillaume Rouet
10. Martin Heredia
11. Julen Gioa
12. Dan Snee
13. Angel Lopez
14. Sébastien Ascarat
15. Bradley Linklater

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 12 Aug 2014, 17:49
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby marino » Mon, 02 Feb 2015, 21:18

olivier wrote:My starting XV :
1. Franck Labbe
2. Benat Auzqui
3. Agustin Ortiz
4. David Gonzalez
5. Jesus Recuerda
6. Gauthier Giboin
7. David Barrera-Howart
8. Jaime Nava
9. Guillaume Rouet
10. Martin Heredia
11. Julen Gioa
12. Dan Snee
13. Angel Lopez
14. Sébastien Ascarat
15. Bradley Linklater


Best starting XV possible.

Posts: 36
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 19:42
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby Stephem » Tue, 03 Feb 2015, 20:51

marino wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:What the support like in Spain? I know when Australia played a test match against Spain about 10 years ago there were about 10,000 in attendance .


As i answered just above this comment, the stadium we have has no seats, so the problem is that the people who goes to the matches are always the same. Think about it, would you go to a place without seats, cold, and you know your country is going to loose? of course, in my case i go wherever it takes, but still people who prefer staying at home watching Ireland Vs England instead of go to the stadium and see Spain Vs Georgia.

Now the attendance is between 5,000-10,000. There are a lot of people who like rugby in Spain, enough to fill a 50,000 stadium, but is what i said, people prefer VI Nations than ENC1.



I was living in Spain for the 6 nations last year and was really surprised how many people knew about the game and the 6 nations but could tell me nothing about the national team or even if there were nearby clubs to join! Any reason they don't play the matches later so as to let people watch the 6 nations and then head to the stadium?

I think it would be so easy to shake up some interest for the ENC with a warm up weekend against the 6 nations sides. Teams with only two home games would host, do away with one of the rest weekends to keep the 7 week block & try and keep to 6 kick off times throughout the 7 weeks. This year could have had: France v Germany, Georgia v England, Ireland v Portugal, Romania v Italy, Russia v Scotland & Wales v Spain, I'd have watched the majority of those, definitely the middle 4.

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Wed, 04 Feb 2015, 15:20

http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... a%F1a%20XV
Selection for Russia start to become a bad usual joke for T2 Nations...
Monday Pablo Fontes and Pedro Martin replaced Santiago Tobal (who was called on Friday) and Bradley Linklater.
Yesterday, Sebastien Ascarat (Montauban) and Pablo Fontes (Pau)

Releasing problems continue outside the clique. Rugby is just a **** disgrace.

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 12 Aug 2014, 17:49
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby marino » Wed, 04 Feb 2015, 19:03

olivier wrote:http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo=Actualidad%20Espa%F1a%20XV
Selection for Russia start to become a bad usual joke for T2 Nations...
Monday Pablo Fontes and Pedro Martin replaced Santiago Tobal (who was called on Friday) and Bradley Linklater.
Yesterday, Sebastien Ascarat (Montauban) and Pablo Fontes (Pau)

Releasing problems continue outside the clique. Rugby is just a **** disgrace.


Sebastien Ascarat and Pablo Fontes arrived late and on tuesday (yesterday) the group trained together. This two players still train together with the group, the changes were Pablo Fontes and Pedro Martin replacing Santiago Tobal and Brad Linklater. ;)

But the problem is that we have to negotiate with french teams in order to know when they want to let us use them. :(

Posts: 2897
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 05 Feb 2015, 02:09

marino wrote:As i answered just above this comment, the stadium we have has no seats, so the problem is that the people who goes to the matches are always the same. Think about it, would you go to a place without seats, cold, and you know your country is going to loose? of course, in my case i go wherever it takes, but still people who prefer staying at home watching Ireland Vs England instead of go to the stadium and see Spain Vs Georgia.

Now the attendance is between 5,000-10,000. There are a lot of people who like rugby in Spain, enough to fill a 50,000 stadium, but is what i said, people prefer VI Nations than ENC1.


That's interesting to know, I wonder if other parts of Europe also have a keen interest in the 6N but lack of interest in the domestic game, that would tell you there's a substantial audience in Europe that can be tapped into if those national teams improve. This is why I'm of the firm belief T1 teams needs to play the likes of Spain in Spain, even if the result is a foregone conclusion.

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Thu, 05 Feb 2015, 15:23

thatrugbyguy wrote:
marino wrote:As i answered just above this comment, the stadium we have has no seats, so the problem is that the people who goes to the matches are always the same. Think about it, would you go to a place without seats, cold, and you know your country is going to loose? of course, in my case i go wherever it takes, but still people who prefer staying at home watching Ireland Vs England instead of go to the stadium and see Spain Vs Georgia.

Now the attendance is between 5,000-10,000. There are a lot of people who like rugby in Spain, enough to fill a 50,000 stadium, but is what i said, people prefer VI Nations than ENC1.


That's interesting to know, I wonder if other parts of Europe also have a keen interest in the 6N but lack of interest in the domestic game, that would tell you there's a substantial audience in Europe that can be tapped into if those national teams improve. This is why I'm of the firm belief T1 teams needs to play the likes of Spain in Spain, even if the result is a foregone conclusion.


I always thought that. World Rugby must remove direct qualification for the World Cup excepting the host.

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 12 Aug 2014, 17:49
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby marino » Thu, 05 Feb 2015, 17:30

Image

What do you think about it? I think for Spain suits more France´s new shirt.

Image

Posts: 1665
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 06 Feb 2015, 10:31

RENFE is no longer a sponsor for FER?

User avatar
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 06 Feb 2015, 15:14

If the trim would be blue in stead of black it would be better. Otherwise its good. But the French red shirt does look more Spanish though.

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Fri, 06 Feb 2015, 15:39

YamahaKiwi wrote:RENFE is no longer a sponsor for FER?

No, this why the president quits last year. FER was near bankruptcy.

Posts: 826
Joined: Mon, 21 Apr 2014, 08:23
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby beber » Fri, 06 Feb 2015, 20:10

Spanish XV
1- Franck Labbe (Lormont FRA, 7 caps)
2- Beñat Auzqui (Bordeaux-Bègles FRA, 17 caps)
3- Francisco Javier Sanz (Bathco Santader, 13 caps)
4- Ignacio Villanueva (CR Cisneros, 3 caps)
5- Jesus Recuerda (captain - Pays d'Aix FRA, 30 caps)
6- David Barrera-Howart (Tricastin FRA, 11 caps)
7- Gauthier Gibouin (Montauban FRA, 20 caps)
8- Jaime Nava (Périgueux FRA, 48 caps)
9- Guillaume Rouet (Bayonne FRA, 2 caps)
10- Dan Snee (VRAC, 2 caps)
11- Sébastien Ascarat (Montauban FRA, 6 caps)
12- Martin Heredia (Lormont FRA, 10 caps)
13- Marcos Poggi (Lormont FRA, 5 caps)
14- Julen Goia (Biarritz Olympique FRA, 3 caps)
15- Pedro Martin (Alcobendas, 14 caps)

16- Fernando Lopez (Massy FRA, uncapped)
17- Juan Anaya (Bathco Santader, 13 caps)
18- Agustin Ortiz (Naffaroa FRA, 12 caps)
19- David Gonzalez (Nevers FRA, uncapped)
20- Javier De Juan (Bathco Santader, 3 caps)
21- Angel Lopez (Cisneros, 2 caps)
22- Pablo Fontes (Pau FRA, 3 caps)
23- Pablo Feijoo (Cisneros, 65 caps)

Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby 4N » Fri, 06 Feb 2015, 20:40

On paper, I think that Spanish team is significantly stronger than the one named by Russia. Where Russia may have a slight edge is experience and squad familiarly.

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 12 Aug 2014, 17:49
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby marino » Fri, 06 Feb 2015, 21:10

olivier wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:RENFE is no longer a sponsor for FER?

No, this why the president quits last year. FER was near bankruptcy.


Let me correct you, Renfe is not sponsoring FER for 2-3 years. Cancho quit because of the debt and bad management of the money he had. We had Heineken and Orange, but the last one decided to sponsor basketball and no other sport. Heineken still being a sponsor and we signed with O´Neils (Rugby equipment).

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 12 Aug 2014, 17:49
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby marino » Sat, 07 Feb 2015, 16:40

Spain 43-20 Russia

Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 08 Feb 2015, 16:29
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby Siriwan » Tue, 10 Feb 2015, 15:24

The Spanish squad that will play Romania:

http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 20Espa%F1a

From the game against Russia there are changes in the first row: out are Labbe and Auzqui and in are Moreno and Pinto, and in the fullback position: out is Perico Martín and in Gregory Maiquez (who can play 9 and 15 mainly).

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 09:22

Siriwan wrote:The Spanish squad that will play Romania:

http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 20Espa%F1a

From the game against Russia there are changes in the first row: out are Labbe and Auzqui and in are Moreno and Pinto, and in the fullback position: out is Perico Martín and in Gregory Maiquez (who can play 9 and 15 mainly).


A better squad with the inclusion of Pinto and Moreno. Still no good fly-half. Still no Thibault Visensang and Mathieu Roca (who played for Rodez last week).

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 10:07

Among the 53 last week, Charles Gimenez came off the bench with Biarritz, Fabien Gramatico started with Carcassonne, Christopher Ruiz started with Narbonne, Charly Malie was absent for Montauban, Mathieu Belie started for Perpignan, Mathieu Peluchon started and kicked for Albi.

Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 08 Feb 2015, 16:29
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby Siriwan » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 14:21

olivier wrote:
Siriwan wrote:The Spanish squad that will play Romania:

http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 20Espa%F1a

From the game against Russia there are changes in the first row: out are Labbe and Auzqui and in are Moreno and Pinto, and in the fullback position: out is Perico Martín and in Gregory Maiquez (who can play 9 and 15 mainly).


A better squad with the inclusion of Pinto and Moreno. Still no good fly-half. Still no Thibault Visensang and Mathieu Roca (who played for Rodez last week).


This tournament is not a RWC qualifier so it's not essential to have the French-based players available. I guess the union prefers not to worsen the relationship with the french clubs by demanding the release of certain players.

Posts: 862
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby olivier » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 15:00

Siriwan wrote:
olivier wrote:
Siriwan wrote:The Spanish squad that will play Romania:

http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 20Espa%F1a

From the game against Russia there are changes in the first row: out are Labbe and Auzqui and in are Moreno and Pinto, and in the fullback position: out is Perico Martín and in Gregory Maiquez (who can play 9 and 15 mainly).


A better squad with the inclusion of Pinto and Moreno. Still no good fly-half. Still no Thibault Visensang and Mathieu Roca (who played for Rodez last week).


This tournament is not a RWC qualifier so it's not essential to have the French-based players available. I guess the union prefers not to worsen the relationship with the french clubs by demanding the release of certain players.


It's always essential to call its best players, even more when you're not a top team. Wales don't play RWC qualifier but always try to call his best player, as simple as that. Thibault Visensang and Mathieu Roca were in the original squad of 23 for Russia. They never came mysteriously.

Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 08 Feb 2015, 16:29
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby 2014

Postby Siriwan » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 15:06

olivier wrote:
Siriwan wrote:
olivier wrote:
Siriwan wrote:The Spanish squad that will play Romania:

http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 20Espa%F1a

From the game against Russia there are changes in the first row: out are Labbe and Auzqui and in are Moreno and Pinto, and in the fullback position: out is Perico Martín and in Gregory Maiquez (who can play 9 and 15 mainly).


A better squad with the inclusion of Pinto and Moreno. Still no good fly-half. Still no Thibault Visensang and Mathieu Roca (who played for Rodez last week).


This tournament is not a RWC qualifier so it's not essential to have the French-based players available. I guess the union prefers not to worsen the relationship with the french clubs by demanding the release of certain players.


It's always essential to call its best players, even more when you're not a top team. Wales don't play RWC qualifier but always try to call his best player, as simple as that. Thibault Visensang and Mathieu Roca were in the original squad of 23 for Russia. They never came mysteriously.


I get your point, but if the FER has to choose between having them available for a ENC that doubles as a qualifier or right now, the choice is obvious. And Spain doesn't have the power to force the clubs to release the players every time, as they would risk their place in their clubs.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Coloradoan, TheStroBro and 6 guests