Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 11:18

HT: 0-3. Too many mistakes under heavy rain.

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 12:18

UE Santboiana wins it 16-6 to upset SilverStorm El Salvador and clinch its first title since 2000

Posts: 552
Joined: Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 19:33
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 12:24

A shame about the weather, and you guys seem unlucky with low scoring matches for the big finals. But you have to like the enthusiasm of the supporters who were there. Clubs in Romania, Italy and Scotland would kill to have such vocal supporters.

I only caught the last ten minutes but loved the small boy giving the hulking brute in the sin bin a consoling tap on the shoulder! Impressive to have a woman refereeing the showcase final too. I hope there were no controversies.

I didn't know Santboiana come from a not very big town just outside Barcelona? I hope they continue to overshadow their bigger neighbour.

Posts: 1524
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 12:39

Didn't last year suffer from bad weather too? Very unlucky for such a usually dry and sunny country!

Congrats to Santboiana. Even if the Stadium wasn't jam packed its still a brilliant crowd and backing up last year is very important I think.

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 12:54

Yes, but last year it was a matter of five minutes of torrential rain after the start of the game. The second-half was totally dry. Today's weather deterred some fans and the image on TV was even worse because people prefered to stand under covered parts of the stadium rather than seating under the rain. Attendance was probably over 20,000, but it didn't look like that at all, unfortunately.

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 14:58


Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby 4N » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 15:08

Sant Boi is a good rugby town I have heard. Congrats on the title.

User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 15:11
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby BLASICO » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 15:26

Bruce_ma_goose wrote: Impressive to have a woman refereeing the showcase final too. I hope there were no controversies.



Alhambra Nievas was named best referee in world rugby (2016).
http://www.surinenglish.com/20161117/ne ... 71557.html


Image

https://www.facebook.com/ferugby1923/ph ... =3&theater

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 01 May 2017, 14:39

Official attendance: 21,000. So basically 5,500 ticket holders stayed at home :evil:

I imagine the blame is on the popular price of tickets, especially those reserved to minors (10€/2€).

--

Sant Boi celebrating the title
Image
Image
Image
https://twitter.com/UESantboiana
https://twitter.com/condeminas

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 02 May 2017, 15:46

Live TV ratings via @OriolIcart
- Teledeporte (State broadcaster, sports channel): 69,000 viewers, 0.9%
- Esport 3 (Catalan public broadcaster, sports channel): 29,000 viewers, 2.7% in Catalunya

So 98,000 and (I personally calculated this one) 1.3% share. It's down from last year, but still above any other rugby on TV bar Olympics.

--

Revista 22 has tweeted Spain will play England Counties next June 3 in Guadalajara (where Spain XV usually trains ahead of REC fixtures):
https://twitter.com/veinti2/status/859440621110558720

User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 15:11
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby BLASICO » Thu, 04 May 2017, 21:06


User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 15:11
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby BLASICO » Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:41

England Counties ready for Spanish summons


Image


England Counties will complete a two-match tour of Spain from 29 May to 4 June, and team manager Matt Long is expecting a tough test.

Counties are set to face a Basque Country team in San Sebastian on Wednesday, 31 May before travelling to Guadalajara three days later to take on Spain, and Long is wary of the challenge ahead.

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/englan ... h-summons/

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:03

Spanish 7s squad for Paris World Series round:
Gorka Gorrotxategui (Cisneros, DH)
Manu Sáinz-Trápaga (Cisneros, DH)
Pol Pla (FC Barcelona, DH)
Igor Genua (Hernani, DH)
Zach Taylor (CRC, DHB)
Rafa de Santiago (CRC, DHB)
Ander Ayala (Bera Bera, DHB)
Ignacio Martín (Bera Bera, DHB)
Lucas Levy (Provence Rugby, Fédérale 1 Élite)
Pablo Fontes (Castanet, Fédérale 1)
Hugo Alonso (Rodez, Fédérale 1)
Jaike Carter (Dubai Hurricanes)
https://twitter.com/CanabateRicardo/sta ... 8445137920

The team is very compromised by Spanish league play-offs. No players from Alcobendas, Santboiana or Valladolid clubs. Only Cisneros and CRC seem not to have given problems to release players in spite of still playing games.

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 11 May 2017, 00:39

Ignacio Martín is injured and will miss both Paris and London Sevens. His replacement is XV captain, Jaime Nava.

Armchair Fan wrote:I've found an interesting figure: players in the Torneo Nacional de Rugby Base (4-12 years old)
2010: 1,400 kids and 117 teams
2013: 1,500 kids and 95 teams
2014: 1,500 kids and 108 teams
2015: 1,800 kids and 128 teams
2016: 2,500 kids and 154 teams

In a time where Spanish rugby still fuels its perennial civil war, under age rugby keeps giving us good news. Today 2017 edition of Torneo Nacional was presented and they've announced the presence of nearly 3,000 kids and 200 teams (I'll check exact figures whenever they are released)...

And in U14 Spanish Tournament the progression is impressive too:
2013: 27 teams from 21 different clubs
2014: 30 teams from 22 different clubs
2015: 38 teams from 26 different clubs
2016: 45 teams from 34 different clubs
2017: 55 teams from 37 different clubs

Overall figures from U14-U12-U10-U8-U6 Spanish Tournaments:
2011: 108 teams from 29 different clubs
2012: 112 teams from 30 different clubs
2013: 122 teams from 32 different clubs
2014: 144 teams from 34 different clubs
2015: 170 teams from 37 different clubs
2016: 195 teams from 37 different clubs
2017: +200 teams from at least 37 different clubs

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:54

First, let's talk about sport. Then I'll detail a new depressing chapter about the stupid state of Spanish rugby.

División de Honor quarterfinals
Sanitas Alcobendas 47 - 24 Senor Independiente
UE Santboiana 39 - 15 Complutense Cisneros

Sevens World Series
Spain lost all its five games in Paris 7s, being closer to a victory against Japan, who beat us with a late try. For London, Pla and Nava are out and Toby Francis (U20 captain) and Edu Martín (Ignacio Martín brother) enter the squad.

--

División de Honor semifinals (VRAC v Alcobendas, El Salvador v Santboiana) are due to take place this weekend in Valladolid. For several weeks there were talks about a Super Saturday with both games taking place during Saturday afternoon, since U16 Spanish Championship will be occupying Pepe Rojo pitches during Saturday and Sunday mornings. Eurosport Spain gave its OK in spite of their slot being Sunday at 12:30. Well, all has exploded because, among other reasons (I don't want to accuse anyone in particular, since many are to blame) it seems Santboiana didn't want to, saying they couldn't afford two hotel nights in Valladolid... Therefore Eurosport won't be broadcasting any game at all and menace not to broadcast the league final either. It is the SECOND TV DEAL Spanish rugby screws in a single season.

It's depressing how Spanish rugby keeps shooting itself on its feet in spite of all positive thing that have been happening for the last couple of years and I think Fernando Ruiz, Eurosport Spain director, sequence of tweets are quite spot on. Frustrating to read to say the least:
- I always say rugby is the only team sport that still hasn't managed to blossom in Spain. Now I know why
- It's a constant everybody v everybody thing. Union, clubs are incapable of watching things from the outside. There are some exceptions of course. But rugby is to lose
- And it's the only time in my career that I see how a sport cannibalises itself doing everything possible not to keep going forward...
- I hope a turning point comes one day, because I believe in rugby and its values. Maybe one day it will be possible to professionalise the sport from all POVs.
- And then it will become an unstoppable sport, for once, in Spain.
- To be precise: from a SuperSaturday with both league semifinals this Saturday afternoon on Eurosport we've ended up not broadcasting anything at all. Amazing.

Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 16 May 2017, 07:33

Armchair Fan wrote:Ignacio Martín is injured and will miss both Paris and London Sevens. His replacement is XV captain, Jaime Nava.

Armchair Fan wrote:I've found an interesting figure: players in the Torneo Nacional de Rugby Base (4-12 years old)
2010: 1,400 kids and 117 teams
2013: 1,500 kids and 95 teams
2014: 1,500 kids and 108 teams
2015: 1,800 kids and 128 teams
2016: 2,500 kids and 154 teams

In a time where Spanish rugby still fuels its perennial civil war, under age rugby keeps giving us good news. Today 2017 edition of Torneo Nacional was presented and they've announced the presence of nearly 3,000 kids and 200 teams (I'll check exact figures whenever they are released)...

And in U14 Spanish Tournament the progression is impressive too:
2013: 27 teams from 21 different clubs
2014: 30 teams from 22 different clubs
2015: 38 teams from 26 different clubs
2016: 45 teams from 34 different clubs
2017: 55 teams from 37 different clubs

Overall figures from U14-U12-U10-U8-U6 Spanish Tournaments:
2011: 108 teams from 29 different clubs
2012: 112 teams from 30 different clubs
2013: 122 teams from 32 different clubs
2014: 144 teams from 34 different clubs
2015: 170 teams from 37 different clubs
2016: 195 teams from 37 different clubs
2017: +200 teams from at least 37 different clubs


Congrats! Impressive numbers. Especially the recent growth. Congrats. Does "Torneo Nacional de Rugby" mean, that there is one big tournament played at the same place or how is it organized?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 16 May 2017, 07:56

Armchair Fan wrote:First, let's talk about sport. Then I'll detail a new depressing chapter about the stupid state of Spanish rugby.

División de Honor quarterfinals
Sanitas Alcobendas 47 - 24 Senor Independiente
UE Santboiana 39 - 15 Complutense Cisneros

Sevens World Series
Spain lost all its five games in Paris 7s, being closer to a victory against Japan, who beat us with a late try. For London, Pla and Nava are out and Toby Francis (U20 captain) and Edu Martín (Ignacio Martín brother) enter the squad.

--

División de Honor semifinals (VRAC v Alcobendas, El Salvador v Santboiana) are due to take place this weekend in Valladolid. For several weeks there were talks about a Super Saturday with both games taking place during Saturday afternoon, since U16 Spanish Championship will be occupying Pepe Rojo pitches during Saturday and Sunday mornings. Eurosport Spain gave its OK in spite of their slot being Sunday at 12:30. Well, all has exploded because, among other reasons (I don't want to accuse anyone in particular, since many are to blame) it seems Santboiana didn't want to, saying they couldn't afford two hotel nights in Valladolid... Therefore Eurosport won't be broadcasting any game at all and menace not to broadcast the league final either. It is the SECOND TV DEAL Spanish rugby screws in a single season.

It's depressing how Spanish rugby keeps shooting itself on its feet in spite of all positive thing that have been happening for the last couple of years and I think Fernando Ruiz, Eurosport Spain director, sequence of tweets are quite spot on. Frustrating to read to say the least:
- I always say rugby is the only team sport that still hasn't managed to blossom in Spain. Now I know why
- It's a constant everybody v everybody thing. Union, clubs are incapable of watching things from the outside. There are some exceptions of course. But rugby is to lose
- And it's the only time in my career that I see how a sport cannibalises itself doing everything possible not to keep going forward...
- I hope a turning point comes one day, because I believe in rugby and its values. Maybe one day it will be possible to professionalise the sport from all POVs.
- And then it will become an unstoppable sport, for once, in Spain.
- To be precise: from a SuperSaturday with both league semifinals this Saturday afternoon on Eurosport we've ended up not broadcasting anything at all. Amazing.


So often in the game clubs tend to only ever concern themselves with their own motivations. We have seen it a thousand times here in Australia. That's why I've always been a fan of the regional franchise system which goes a long way in eliminating that.

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 16 May 2017, 08:26

RugbyLiebe wrote:Congrats! Impressive numbers. Especially the recent growth. Congrats. Does "Torneo Nacional de Rugby" mean, that there is one big tournament played at the same place or how is it organized?

For underage rugby there are three different formats:
- U18 and U16 are eight-teams championships with regional qualifiers, plus a development tournament with eight more teams. Each of them lasts a whole weekend. They take place in Valladolid
- U14 are open championships. Registered teams are divided into two tournaments, the traditional one and a development one. Both take place during the same weekend at the same place. This year the host is Oliva (Valencia)
- U12, U10, U8 and U6 reunite in the same place like U14 do, with open championships. It used to be U12 and U10 meeting, but in the last decade U8 and U6 tournaments had to be put in place due to recent growth. This year it's played in Pozuelo de Alarcón (Madrid)

Apart from that, there are championships for regional sides that usually last more than a weekend.

Working Class Rugger wrote:So often in the game clubs tend to only ever concern themselves with their own motivations. We have seen it a thousand times here in Australia. That's why I've always been a fan of the regional franchise system which goes a long way in eliminating that.


The most infuriating thing is that FER has spent 100,000€ while in need of repaying its debt just to secure a TV deal and now clubs make it burst...

Posts: 1524
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 16 May 2017, 10:11

Seems to me that the problem is these things are organised on the fly, presumably the regulations state that Santboiana have the right to do this and semi final times are to be agreed by the clubs involved? If going forward the clubs agree to abide by the demands of TV/central league regulators there won't be a dispute next season.

Why couldn't the other semi final take the original slot and give TV the one game they were expecting?

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 16 May 2017, 12:13

There won't be a dispute next season because there won't be TV at all: Eurosport they're fed up with Spanish rugby and it's done. They won't even broadcast the final.

Semifinals can't be played Sunday 12:30 CET because U16 are playing for the whole morning, at least four hours. You can't ask the guys to wake up at 6 just because TV and semipros want to pick their place... And Eurosport only made space in their TV schedule for both semifinals on Saturday afternoon because it was something exceptional.

Posts: 1524
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:12

Hmmmmm.

Very odd situation. Putting an U-16s tournament ahead of the senior TV deal is surely the stupidest decision I've ever heard! Personally yes you can ask them to get up at a perfectly normal time because the senior competition takes precedence. They presumably could also have played afterwards at 3 in the afternoon. On a side note I'd have thought 1pm in Valladoid in May would be fairly unpleasantly hot? Or is that just me being northern European!!!

Even without a deal for next season they should pre-empt any future problems by sorting out regulations for it now. Once you deal with TV you have to make sacrifices with games at unpopular times, and the league has to be able to enforce that on recalcitrant clubs by ultimately fining them or throwing them out if they won't play ball.

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:53

sk 88 wrote:Hmmmmm.

Very odd situation. Putting an U-16s tournament ahead of the senior TV deal is surely the stupidest decision I've ever heard! Personally yes you can ask them to get up at a perfectly normal time because the senior competition takes precedence. They presumably could also have played afterwards at 3 in the afternoon. On a side note I'd have thought 1pm in Valladoid in May would be fairly unpleasantly hot? Or is that just me being northern European!!!

Even without a deal for next season they should pre-empt any future problems by sorting out regulations for it now. Once you deal with TV you have to make sacrifices with games at unpopular times, and the league has to be able to enforce that on recalcitrant clubs by ultimately fining them or throwing them out if they won't play ball.

Not in Spain :D

And Valladolid is quite cold by Spanish standards. Even in a very sunny day right now you wouldn't go beyond 30ºC.

But let's not think only about U16 or Santboiana refusal to play on Saturday. Eurosport is simply fed up. One of their commentators said on a radio station today that in some weekends up to 5 from the 6 host teams of División de Honor games said they couldn't play for TV that Sunday. And VRAC Quesos Entrepinares has constantly refused access of TV cameras to their locker room. Spanish clubs are simply amateur in their mentality and nothing will ever change, I fear.

Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby 4N » Wed, 17 May 2017, 13:41


Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:03

4N wrote:Good article on the Eurosport row:
http://canterbury.es/noticias/2017/05/1 ... vez-negro/


1st: I am really surprised how good the google translator Spanish-English works
2nd: I feel kind of hopeless. I had really high hopes in Spain and this doesn't sound good. Not good at all. I mean, if Spain can't get their act together with everything on a silver plate before them (no doubt they earned that silver plate) who else can do that.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 17 May 2017, 18:22

Eurosport Spain will finally broadcast both semifinals on Sunday, one on tape delay, the other live. But their relationship with Spanish rugby will be terminated after División de Honor final unless a lot of things change.

Sigh...

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Immenso and 14 guests