Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Ainsthrilln » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 20:21

Armchair Fan wrote:King Felipe VI will attend the game this Sunday:
http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 20Alemania

I don't like it. Not only because I'm a republican, in the end I already went to the Cup final he attended and he's the head of State, but because we're playing with fire and everything can come like a boomerang if we fail to qualify for RWC. Now we've got his presence and the Webb Ellis Cup shown on place during the game, as if we were World Champions...

I agree with you. The clasification is closer than I ever imagined, but we are not clasified yet.

Besides, in this stqdium, having the King is a security nightmare. There is no separation between stands, there is no real control of access...

The King will be mostly among suporters of the Crown, but you do not need many crazy people to have a real problem...

Tobar wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:
Tobar wrote:If they still want to keep it near Madrid then the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez is slightly bigger and still kind of close. Keep in mind that I have never been to Spain so this could be a horrible location but looks good from my 2 second search on Wikipedia.

Coliseum Alfonso Pérez is a perfect location. I lived nearby for a long time. It's got train station, Metro station, parking, highway access, a university and lots of students living there... but as long as Getafe is in LaLiga First Division it's hard to convince them.

I imagine La Liga presents difficulties because of the power they have and what I assume is reluctance to give it up to something like rugby. Soccer seem to be far more politically intertwined in places like Spain and South America than it does in the US, at least in the sense that there are generally multiple sports leagues with varying degrees of power.

Well, actually La Liga is one of the biggest sponsors of the Spanish Rugby Union. Rugby for then is not a menace, at least at the moment.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 22:12

I don't like it. Not only because I'm a republican, in the end I already went to the Cup final he attended and he's the head of State, but because we're playing with fire and everything can come like a boomerang if we fail to qualify for RWC. Now we've got his presence and the Webb Ellis Cup shown on place during the game, as if we were World Champions...

Don't want a man to go watch Rugby? Don't want your king amongst the people? Calm down. At least your head of state is aware of the Leones unlike ours with the Eagles.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 14:11

TheStroBro wrote:

Don't want a man to go watch Rugby? Don't want your king amongst the people? Calm down. At least your head of state is aware of the Leones unlike ours with the Eagles.

There's a lot more to it than just that....lots going on in Spanish politics especially with the Catalan independence stuff going on. Even still, I would imagine many people would be unhappy to see Trump show his face at their sporting event.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 14:14

Rugby was on the cover of Marca which is one of the biggest Spanish sports magazines (actual Spaniards can correct me if wrong)

https://twitter.com/marca/status/973121603545550849

El rey fue un 'león' más. One of the accompanying articles. If you want to read a lot of political comments then this is a good link to click on lol.

http://www.marca.com/rugby/2018/03/11/5 ... b462a.html

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 15:14

Tobar wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

There's a lot more to it than just that....lots going on in Spanish politics especially with the Catalan independence stuff going on. Even still, I would imagine many people would be unhappy to see Trump show his face at their sporting event.

If people got up in arms about Trump showing to a Rugby match in our country I'd throw down. The President at a game would signal we've made it to a specific position in the sporting landscape and it's the same significance here. I'm well aware of the Catalan Independence stuff. If you're unhappy about it, you probably need something better to do.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 15:39

Uh, I don't really think we can speak much to that as Americans.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 16:21

Tobar wrote: Soccer seem to be far more politically intertwined in places like Spain and South America than it does in the US, at least in the sense that there are generally multiple sports leagues with varying degrees of power.

The current Uruguayan president Tabaré Vázquez was president of Progreso, winning the national championship.

Former Uruguayan president Julio María Sanguinetti is honorary president of Peñarol.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 18:50

NaBUru38 wrote:
Tobar wrote: Soccer seem to be far more politically intertwined in places like Spain and South America than it does in the US, at least in the sense that there are generally multiple sports leagues with varying degrees of power.

The current Uruguayan president Tabaré Vázquez was president of Progreso, winning the national championship.

Former Uruguayan president Julio María Sanguinetti is honorary president of Peñarol.

I just meant that the soccer clubs tend to have much more power over things like stadiums and infrastructure that other sports would need.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 18:59

Completely true. Only a year and a half ago Málaga CF soccer club demanded an insurance on the grass of a town-owned pitch they use only for training purposes to allow Spain to play a test match against Uruguay. I think it says almost everything.

Alfonso Feijóo reveals in this article he made inquiries to move REC games to Vicente Calderón stadium, but the way it is right now meant it was too expensive to bring it back to action (Atlético de Madrid soccer team moved this summer and normally they will build houses there).

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 04:54

AF, are you going to be chewing your last fingernail in Espana or Brussels?

Btw the FER did a really bad job of turning interest off in the Germany game. I see from WR's report the crowd was still about 15.5K :D

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 09:38

I'll stay in Spain, but I know there is many people going to Brussels and the union has talked to Foreign Affairs Minister to mobilise Spaniards in Belgium.

And yes, they failed. But they tried, they even menaced people with prohibiting the access to the stadium with beer...

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 11:54

Game is at the usual stadium in Brussels right, not the really small one their previous game v DEU got switched to, right?

Wow, I salute the Spanish fans. Not even a really low tactic like threatening to separate rugby fans from their beer stopped the fans from supporting their team :lol:

Btw what was the moment of silence at the start of the game for? The same thing Feijoo Snr was crying about in the press conference before the game (or was he just being emotional about the team's success and grand chance to make RWC)?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 11:59

Yes, Little Heysel instead of Nelson Mandela. Weather is way better than that week, so pitch shouldn't be frozen. But it's rainy, so I expect an ugly and tense match.

We still haven't got a squad because some players depend on their wives... Charly Malié is coming today after he became a dad yesterday, while Beñat Auzqui has returned to Grenoble and I don't know the state of her missus pregnancy.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 15:13

Armchair Fan wrote:Yes, Little Heysel instead of Nelson Mandela. Weather is way better than that week, so pitch shouldn't be frozen. But it's rainy, so I expect an ugly and tense match.

We still haven't got a squad because some players depend on their wives... Charly Malié is coming today after he became a dad yesterday, while Beñat Auzqui has returned to Grenoble and I don't know the state of her missus pregnancy.

"I'm sorry honey, but this is the world cup. You must understand."

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 16:33

31 men to prepare the game against Belgium:

Front row
Beñat Auzqui (Grenoble, ProD2)
Marco Pinto (Béziers, ProD2)
Jesús Moreno (Provence Rugby, Fédérale 1)
Quentin García (Chambéry, Fédérale 1)
Alberto Blanco (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)
Fernando López (AMPO Ordizia, Liga Heineken)

Locks & Back Row
Lucas Guillaume (Narbonne, ProD2)
Gautier Gibouin (Nevers, ProD2)
Aníbal Bonan (Bagnères, Fédérale 1)
David Barrera (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1)
Pierre Barthere (Rouen, Fédérale 1)
Thibaut Visensang (Tyrosse, Fédérale 1)
Kalo Kalo Gavidi (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)
Matt Foulds (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken)
Víctor Sánchez (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken)
Jaime Nava (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)

Scrum-half
Guillaume Rouet (Bayonne, ProD2)
Sébastien Rouet (Narbonne, ProD2)

Fly-half & Centre
Mathieu Bélie (Nevers, ProD2)
Dan Snee (Havelock North, Mitre 10)
Fabien Perrin (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1)
Thibaut Álvarez (Pamiers, Fédérale 2)
Iñaki Mateu (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)
Jaime Mata (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)

Wing & Fullback
Charlie Malié (Pau, Top14)
Sébastien Ascarat (Montauban, ProD2)
Mathieu Peluchon (Albi, Fédérale 1)
Ignacio Contardi (Niort, Fédérale 1)
Brad Linklater (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)
Julen Goia (Ordizia, Liga Heineken)
Federico Casteglioni (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken)

--

Belgium is bringing almost all their key players, so it will be close:
https://www.sportkipik.be/retour-des-ca ... -l-espagne

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Charvis » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 16:56

I have no doubt Spain will prevail. Our guys are buzzing and playing great rugby. Just one more step to go.

Postby 4N » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 17:09

So Belgium "rested" players in preparation for this. Spain need to be ready for a big effort from them.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 17:11

It was to be expected. Not only because it's more likely to obtain a good result at home against Spain than away versus Romania, but also because French clubs are often reluctant to sending players to Eastern Europe and are well more open to leave them play in home games. It's already happened to us in the past, with players that came to Madrid but didn't appear in Tbilisi or Bucharest.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 18:17

I keep hearing from people that Spain has managed to get a lot of French players on their team - have they gotten a lot of French players qualified through their ancestry or have they managed to get Spanish players in French leagues? There seems to be a mix of Spanish and French names on that list above.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 18:24

Most players are French-born of Spanish ancestry. But those Spanish-born have majoritarily at any moment of their career tried their luck in France too.

I'll leave you the full nationalities breakdown:
Spoiler:
Beñat Auzqui (Grenoble, ProD2) - French, his brother represented Spain and he came onboard while in Fédérale 1. Meeting former coach Régis Sonnes led him to Top 14
Marco Pinto (Béziers, ProD2) - Spanish, born in Barcelona but playing in France for the last decade
Jesús Moreno (Provence Rugby, Fédérale 1) - Spanish, born in Málaga, has played in England and France, is married to a French woman and his kids are French
Quentin García (Chambéry, Fédérale 1) - French
Alberto Blanco (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, born in Valladolid, never played abroad
Fernando López (AMPO Ordizia, Liga Heineken) - Argentinian, came to Spain a decade ago, tried his luck in France and came back again

Locks & Back Row
Lucas Guillaume (Narbonne, ProD2) - French
Gautier Gibouin (Nevers, ProD2) - French, plays for Spain since U18 is subcaptain and even asked his Spanish passport five years ago, becoming Spanish citizen
Aníbal Bonan (Bagnères, Fédérale 1) - Argentinian, came to Spain and then went to France
David Barrera (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1) - Spanish from Sevilla with part of his family English, went to France pretty young and has made his career there
Pierre Barthere (Rouen, Fédérale 1) - French
Thibaut Visensang (Tyrosse, Fédérale 1) - French, his brother represented Spain too
Kalo Kalo Gavidi (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken) - Fijian
Matt Foulds (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken) - English
Víctor Sánchez (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, from Salamanca
Jaime Nava (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, from Madrid, captain, made his career in France but came back last year

Scrum-half
Guillaume Rouet (Bayonne, ProD2) - French, came onboard after watching his brother play in Madrid and liking the atmosphere
Sébastien Rouet (Narbonne, ProD2) - French

Fly-half & Centre
Mathieu Bélie (Nevers, ProD2) - French, former France U20
Dan Snee (Havelock North, Mitre 10) - NZ, qualified through residency and in spite of returning home he keeps coming to Spain every winter just for REC
Fabien Perrin (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1) - French
Thibaut Álvarez (Pamiers, Fédérale 2) - French
Iñaki Mateu (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - Argentinian, came with his family when he was a kid. He trained with Argentina U20 but represented Spain too
Jaime Mata (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, from Madrid

Wing & Fullback
Charlie Malié (Pau, Top14) - French, chose Spain as a 20 year old from Fédérale 1 and is now the only Top 14 guy. It is said France was surprised to know he wasn't eligible
Sébastien Ascarat (Montauban, ProD2) - French
Mathieu Peluchon (Albi, Fédérale 1) - French, a God for Spanish fans since his drop goal against Romania in 2012, injuries have prevented him from coming regularly
Ignacio Contardi (Niort, Fédérale 1) - Argentinian, played in Spain and then jumped to France
Brad Linklater (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - NZ, came to Spain, tried his luck in Italy, came back and married a Spanish woman
Julen Goia (Ordizia, Liga Heineken) - Spanish from Basque Country, tried his luck in just across the border and came back
Federico Casteglioni (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken) - Argentinian

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 19:31

Very nice, thanks. This answers my question fully.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 22:00

YamahaKiwi wrote:Btw what was the moment of silence at the start of the game for? The same thing Feijoo Snr was crying about in the press conference before the game (or was he just being emotional about the team's success and grand chance to make RWC)?

On that date, 14 years ago, 191 were killed in a combined terrorist attack at several commuter trains in Madrid.

I doubt Feijoo emotions at the press congference were related to this, but I haven't watched it.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 22:12

He cried in a press conference prior to the game, remembering the task he's done since 2014, how much criticism he's received and saying Santos and Miguelón will be coaching the national team as long as he is the union president, regardless of Spain reaching RWC or not.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 05:21

Armchair Fan wrote:Completely true. Only a year and a half ago Málaga CF soccer club demanded an insurance on the grass of a town-owned pitch they use only for training purposes to allow Spain to play a test match against Uruguay. I think it says almost everything.

Alfonso Feijóo reveals in this article he made inquiries to move REC games to Vicente Calderón stadium, but the way it is right now meant it was too expensive to bring it back to action (Atlético de Madrid soccer team moved this summer and normally they will build houses there).

Italian football clubs used to be like this until tnis decade for municipal owned grounds where they put pressure on councils to turn down approaches by FIR for test matches, that is until councils saw that rugby tests also attracted good crowds, and likely financial rewards for hosting matches and so the football clubs lost that control over rugby using those stadiums. If Spanish rugby can attract more interest with some more good crowds, and increased media and public interest, councils will like in Italy start to be more open-minded to rugby, and tell football clubs to take a jump. Afterall, what's the football club gonna do? Pick up their toys and leave town? I doubt it (Of course it's best for the town to have a good relationship with their major sports clubs rather than a tension filled one, but sometimes it's good for the major city sports teams to have to reign in and maybe change their oft priviliged attitudes a little to accept other sports and sports events - that goes for rugby in NZ too.)

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 05:27

Ainsthrilln wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:Btw what was the moment of silence at the start of the game for? The same thing Feijoo Snr was crying about in the press conference before the game (or was he just being emotional about the team's success and grand chance to make RWC)?

On that date, 14 years ago, 191 were killed in a combined terrorist attack at several commuter trains in Madrid.

I doubt Feijoo emotions at the press congference were related to this, but I haven't watched it.

Ah ok. Yes no one in Spain is going to forget that horrible event quickly. 2011 Japan Tsunami comemoration just happened a few days ago too. A group of kids in Tsunami hit and 2019 host city Kamaishi who were just starting school in 2011 just graduated from elementary/primary school and made a graduation video with rugby spirit as their Kamaishi Tsunami recovery and graduation video theme.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum