Spanish rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 11:15

Liga Heineken - Week 20 - Results and Standings
Getxo Artea 12 - 41 VRAC Quesos Entrepinares
SilverStorm El Salvador 39 - 12 Bizkaia Gernika
Sanitas Alcobendas 30 - 27 Senor Independiente (Independiente lost it in the dying minutes and may now lose fourth place and home quarterfinals)
Ampo Ordizia 29 - 3 FC Barcelona
UE Santboiana 60 - 24 Hernani
Complutense Cisneros 30 - 49 La Vila

Regular season standings are now almost set in stone. VRAC and El Salvador are secured of home semifinals and keep working to make it a SuperSaturday doubleheader at Zorrilla. Getxo is relegated and Hernani will face a relegation play-off. The only change may arrive for fourth place as Ordizia is in an upward trend and Independiente must play El Salvador in the last round...

--

Liga Heineken promotion play-Offs - Quarterfinals first leg
Fénix (8) 24 - 41 UBU-Colina Clinic (1)
CAU Valencia (5) 17 - 17 CRC Pozuelo Universidad Francisco de Vitoria (4)
Bathco Rugby Club (6) 21 - 34 Les Abelles (3)
Liceo Francés (7) 13 - 28 Ciencias Fundación Cajasol (2)

No surprises, with the game between 5th and 4th seeded teams being the only one close. I expected much more from Bathco, a newly-promoted team with up to 16 foreign-born players in the gamesheet, but it's undoubtedly good news for Spanish rugby if getting promoted from regional leagues to top-tier isn't as easy as hiring lots of youngsters from Argentina and South Africa.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 12:15

@AF do you have any idea why they kept the name FC and not RC to the Barcelona club?

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 12:37

I also have a question: in the spanish version of wikipedia there is no Bathco, but Senor Independiente B. Can you explain, AF?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby payoranger » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 12:40

Barcelona keeps FC for all the sections, pro or amateur, e.g., Handball, they are Champions of Europe several times and keep the FC before Barcelona. Sometimes they add the sponsor after

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 12:51

payoranger wrote:Barcelona keeps FC for all the sections, pro or amateur, e.g., Handball, they are Champions of Europe several times and keep the FC before Barcelona. Sometimes they add the sponsor after

Thanks! It is a bit weird, i understand that the football team is giving the money but they could remove that "F" :).
My city used to have a good team HCM Constanta, we even beat Barcelona once. Also the national team trainer of Romania is Xavier Pascual, he is training both Romania and Barcelona in the same time :).Great guy.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 12:59

rey200 wrote:I also have a question: in the spanish version of wikipedia there is no Bathco, but Senor Independiente B. Can you explain, AF?

Independiente and CR Santander are two clubs from the same city, Santander.

Bathco began to sponsor Independiente in 2011, enabling them to become almost professional by bringing lots of foreigners every season, be promoted to División de Honor in 2013 and reach Cup final in 2014. But in 2016 they decided to drop that sponsoship citing lack of institutional support from local and regional bodies. Which is bullshit because only a few months later Bathco decided to support CR Santander, a different club from the same city. They hired players to allow CR Santander to reach División de Honor B and then renamed the club into Bathco Rugby Club.

So you've got a same sponsor supporting rugby in the same city since 2011 but switching clubs in 2016.

If you want my opinion, it's great that a company decides to spend money on rugby but Bathco is probably the worst kind of sponsor you may find. They just care about reaching Liga Heineken and they are pushing CR Santander way beyond its capabilities. They've got no structures, their U18 and U16 have often not more than 9, 10 or 11 players for official games, their second senior team is a disaster... I mean, stats say everything about these three other male teams from Bathco Rugby Club: 4 wins out of 34 regional games this season and 4 non-appearances, while senior and U16 didn't take part in play-offs. It's almost a phantom club, they only show up because national rules force them to have at least a second senior team and a U18 or U16. We've seen guys play for both U18 and U16 the same day just to avoid implications in the first senior team.

P.S: Independiente is not so different. It's quite astonishing that Cantabria, a region with only 542 male registered players including underage and until this season not even fielding teams in Spanish championships with its union, intends to have two top-flight clubs. It makes little sense.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 13:40, edited 3 times in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 13:14

Bogdan_DC wrote:
payoranger wrote:Barcelona keeps FC for all the sections, pro or amateur, e.g., Handball, they are Champions of Europe several times and keep the FC before Barcelona. Sometimes they add the sponsor after

Thanks! It is a bit weird, i understand that the football team is giving the money but they could remove that "F" :).
My city used to have a good team HCM Constanta, we even beat Barcelona once. Also the national team trainer of Romania is Xavier Pascual, he is training both Romania and Barcelona in the same time :).Great guy.

It's FC even for amateur sections where there isn't even a ball involved, like athletics or ice skating :D

But just to make a little precision, football don't just "give the money", their amateur sections are an integral part of the club. It's not a sponsorship deal, or a franchise given to the football club. As far as I know apart from football, basketball, futsal and rink hockey other sections are strictly amateur. People only join them because of facilities, recognition (personal sponsors), how they can receive support from a medical and nutrition POV, etc...

From a rugby point of view it's not surprising that Bruno Postiglioni decided to switch his mind at last minute this year to go to Gernika instead of FC Barcelona where he was initially announced, or that Martín García Veiga accepted an offer to return to France as medical joker right before the end of the league.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 22:32

Copa del Rey final promoters say they've sold 13,000 tickets and they expect around 20,000 spectators for the Valladolid derby in Valencia next April 29. It sounds to me a bit optimistic and obviously it won't look as good as Zorrilla's sellout, but it would be great news if they manage to gather such a crowd without local teams involved.

At least the effort to promote the event among locals is immense, including activities for kids in shopping malls and a MARCA regional supplement:

They also say the game will be broadcast in "traditional nations like UK, France, Ireland, Italy, Australia, NZ, Argentina and South Africa", so I wonder if there will be a global live streaming, since it would be extremely rare to see TV broadcasters interested in such a Tier 3 national event...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 02:42

If it's being broadcast via Eurosport or Bein Sports it will be shown in Australia.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 09:35

I forgot to put last night other interesting news about development. This weekend we're going to see for the first time a U14 Spanish Championship for regional teams. It's taking place in Puertollano with seven sides involved (Catalonia, Valencia and Madrid in one pool as the stronger teams, Castilla y León, Galicia, Andalucía and Asturias in the other).

P.S: to be honest it's not all about development but also increasing revenues. Spanish Rugby Union cannot register players since these duties were transfered by law to regional unions. But they earn money every time a team registers for a national tournament. That's why we've got U14, U16 and U18 Regional, U18 Regional for Women, U16 and U18 Regional 7s, plus U6, U8, U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18 Club tournaments. There are some voices against this, since they think kids shouldn't be competing at all until U14 or U16.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 11:26

Armchair Fan wrote:That's why we've got U14, U16 and U18 Regional, U18 Regional for Women, U16 and U18 Regional 7s, plus U6, U8, U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18 Club tournaments. There are some voices against this, since they think kids shouldn't be competing at all until U14 or U16.

We also had this discussion, but I my personal believe is. that this is absolutely wrong to sugarcoat kids into "everyone is a winner", they know exactly who was better and even more so they want to compete. Soccer is so far ahead, because kids compete all the times.
When do kids start to tackle in Spain? In Germany it is U8.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 11:40

There is nothing forbiding tackling in U6. Scrums are way more regulated than tackling:
http://www.ferugby.es/userfiles/file/De ... RADUAL.pdf

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 10:58

Liga Heineken - Week 21 - Results and Standings
VRAC Quesos Entrepinares 80 - 14 Complutense Cisneros
Sanitas Alcobendas 19 - 37 SilverStorm El Salvador (played in Valladolid due to delays in Las Terrazas new pitch and unavailability of fields in Madrid)
Senor Independiente 41 - 14 La Vila
Hernani 12 - 39 Ampo Ordizia (played in San Sebastián because Landare Toki was flooded, again)
Bizkaia Gernika 36 - 34 UE Santboiana
FC Barcelona 37 - 43 Getxo Artea :shock:

With one round remaining only two key spots can change: first and fourth places. VRAC visits La Vila and should set a new regular season points record, while El Salvador faces Independient and could hand Ordizia a home quarterfinal.

Regarding blowouts, I counted how many times we've seen teams receive more than 50 points this season: Getxo (7), Hernani (5), Cisneros (4), Barça (2), La Vila (1). Not bizarre to see the most amateur setups suffer more. And Cisneros will be in deep trouble if professional trend keeps growing.

Liga Heineken promotion play-offs - Quarterfinals return leg
UBU-Colina Clinic (1) 41 - 7 Fénix (8) | Aggregate: 82-31
CRC Pozuelo Universidad Francisco de Vitoria (4) 20 - 3 CAU Valencia (5) | Aggregate: 37-20
Les Abelles (3) 26 - 29 Bathco Rugby Club (6) | Aggregate: 60-50
Ciencias Fundación Cajasol (2) 23 - 16 Liceo Francés (7) | Aggregate: 51-29

So semifinals will be UBU-Colina Clinic v CRC Pozuelo Universidad Francisco de Vitoria and Les Abelles v Ciencias Fundación Cajasol. Only UBU-Colina Clinic (known as Aparejadores de Burgos) hasn't played in División de Honor for the last decade and after two unsuccessful attempts the last two seasons looks ready to get promoted. They are even already trying out two guys from Spain U18 (Otger Sirvent and Sergio Molinero, from Sant Cugat and L'Hospitalet) to prepare next season.

--

Last official info from Cup final says 14,000 tickets have been sold. At least it should look good on TV, with only seats behind the posts still fairly empty:

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 12:45

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:That's why we've got U14, U16 and U18 Regional, U18 Regional for Women, U16 and U18 Regional 7s, plus U6, U8, U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18 Club tournaments. There are some voices against this, since they think kids shouldn't be competing at all until U14 or U16.

We also had this discussion, but I my personal believe is. that this is absolutely wrong to sugarcoat kids into "everyone is a winner", they know exactly who was better and even more so they want to compete. Soccer is so far ahead, because kids compete all the times.
When do kids start to tackle in Spain? In Germany it is U8.

Well, soccer results aren't published on fussball.de before u9/u10. That was a smart move, winning in kids soccer can be tempting, but in fact, is useless, unless you don't teach them to play the ball.

But playing is imo the most important thing. You train, because you play, and by playing, you improve, so it's basically a sort of training. AND you have to learn to lose; and, I don't know if this also ever happened to you, you have to learn to win. I don't only mean to manage the pressure you can get, but also, how you behave after a win. BTW a great way to show how much rugby's spirit can do good.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 17 Apr 2018, 15:56

Disqualified Spaniards:

Sébastien ROUET, 43 semanas
Guillaume ROUET, 36 semanas
Pierre BARTHERE, 14 semanas
Lucas GUILLAUME, 14 semanas
Mathieu BELIE, 14 semanas

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 17 Apr 2018, 15:59

Banned not disqualified. Lenient imo for physical abuse toward ref

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Apr 2018, 16:07

rey200 wrote:Well, soccer results aren't published on fussball.de before u9/u10. That was a smart move, winning in kids soccer can be tempting, but in fact, is useless, unless you don't teach them to play the ball.

But playing is imo the most important thing. You train, because you play, and by playing, you improve, so it's basically a sort of training. AND you have to learn to lose; and, I don't know if this also ever happened to you, you have to learn to win. I don't only mean to manage the pressure you can get, but also, how you behave after a win. BTW a great way to show how much rugby's spirit can do good.

I still remember that I lost my first soccer game at 6 years with 1:4 and they made a mistake and published a 0:4-loss ;-)
Hell, I even still know who scored our only goal and who made the assist.

The kids know exactly what the score is, they count every single game. But you are right, it tricks the adults to not be tempted to coach to win ;-)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Black Sabbath » Tue, 17 Apr 2018, 16:13

BigG wrote:Disqualified Spaniards:

Sébastien ROUET, 43 semanas
Guillaume ROUET, 36 semanas
Pierre BARTHERE, 14 semanas
Lucas GUILLAUME, 14 semanas
Mathieu BELIE, 14 semanas

http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/decision-rugby-europe-judicial-committee

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 10:26

Last Liga Heineken regular season rounds have been a bit boring with so many teams knowing their fate, but SilverStorm El Salvador v Senor Independiente is just about to start and should be a cracker. Live here:
http://www.rtvcyl.es/DirectoCylTV

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 23 Apr 2018, 18:42

Liga Heineken - Week 22 - Results and Standings
La Vila 14 - 24 VRAC Quesos Entrepinares (enough for VRAC to brack the 100 points barrier in regular season for the first time ever)
SilverStorm El Salvador 38 - 43 Senor Independiente (first league game lost by a Valladolid team at Pepe Rojo against a team other than its local rival in over 70 rounds)
UE Santboiana 78 - 7 Sanitas Alcobendas (Alcobendas made the trip with its reserve team as they were secured of 3rd place and quartefinal against Santboiana again)
Ampo Ordizia 30 - 21 Bizkaia Gernika
Complutense Cisneros 23 - 29 FC Barcelona
Getxo Artea 59 - 12 Hernani

VRAC and El Salvador therefore await rivals in semifinals, which may finally not take place at Zorrilla due to soccer... Senor Independiente with its win secured home advantage against Ampo Ordizia, whereas Sanitas Alcobendas will host UE Santboiana in a yet unknown field as their pitch is still work in progress.

FC Barcelona secured its highest finish in 30 years with its win over Complutense Cisneros, although the game went a bit viral not because of that circumstance: referee Iñigo Atorrasagasti reversed a penalty because a Cisneros player called Barça #1 "albóndiga" (meatball) :lol:

--

Liga Heineken promotion Play-Offs - Semifinals first leg
CRC Pozuelo Universidad Francisco de Vitoria 20 - 36 UBU-Colina Clinic
Les Abelles 28 - 24 Ciencias Fundación Cajasol
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Wed, 02 May 2018, 09:01, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 21:13

With five days remaining it seems 17,500 tickets have been sold for Copa del Rey final in Valencia. Mixed feelings since it's not going to be sellout in a 26,500 seats stadium but we must accept it's an awesome crowd if confirmed in a city without top-flyer clubs and for a Valladolid local derby. By the way, rain may spoil the party in Valladolid sponsored by its mayor :D

--

A great story about Valencian rugby. Valencian teams have played Spanish Cup final up to 6 times, but never clinched the title. A player from 1935 runner-ups decided that his silver medal should be given to the captain of the team finally winning the title and is still today under custody. Unfortunately it's not the medal shown on the article.
https://twitter.com/valenciarugby/statu ... 6981796864

--

There should be a non-geoblocked TV streaming this year, so fingers crossed.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Wed, 25 Apr 2018, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby rugbyfanspain » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 22:37

After Rugby Europe came hard against several French players with Spanish ancestors who were (mis)representing Spain, handing them heavy suspensions for their behavior against the Romanian agent (calling him a referee would be an insult to so many brave and dedicated officials) of the Belgium-Spain 6NB match, at the other side of the spectrum we just saw the impecable behavior of the Cisneros players when the referee of their last game of the regular season at the top-flight Spanish league vs. Barça switched a penalty in favor of Cisneros to one against them after hearing a Cisneros lock call a prop of the opposite team "meatball": http://www.abc.es/deportes/abci-rugby-s ... ticia.html

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 25 Apr 2018, 19:51

There will be TMO at Copa del Rey final, a first for Spanish club rugby if I'm not mistaken:
http://arbitros.ferugby.es/equipo-arbit ... -rey-2018/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 03:20

Question: what happened to the once mghty Arquitectura?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 08:43

The end of amateurism killed it. They were so proud of it they couldn't cope with new times. It's now in Spanish second tier and although last Summer they decided to switch their philosophy and bring Campbell Johnstone as head coach and a number of young Kiwis with him, it's increasingly hard to reach Liga Heineken. Basically teams hire five or six foreigners to avoid relegation to regional leagues and budgets for those aspiring to promotion are around 250,000€.

Anyway if you ask somebody from Valladolid about Arquitectura they will tell you it was the first successful club from Valladolid: back in the day they decided to bring many from El Salvador first golden generation to Madrid.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum