Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Tobar » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 21:24

USA is playing in Spain in November....just not against Spain. USA vs Samoa on November 10th in San Sebastian. You guys said before that this is a good rugby area but they don't really like the Spanish national team, right?

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... -in-spain/

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 22:09

Yes... Anyway it's a private venture with the same guys that already promoted USA v Tonga in 2016.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 23:16

I don’t really understand the reasoning of flying to Spain for a game like this. It reduces the travel if they’re staying in Europe (USA is, I assume Samoa is too) but then Samoa could’ve flown somewhere in the US then go to Europe. It would’ve saved the US some money putting up their players somewhere.

I remember the Romania game had very few people show up. The US just isn’t a draw for neutral fans in Spain.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 10:57

Most Samoan players are already in Europe.

--

Liga Heineken 2018-2019 starts this weekend and it does it with a few interesting clashes, like VRAC Quesos Entrepinares-SilverStorm El Salvador or UBU Colina Clinic-Sanitas Alcobendas.

Presentation was held at LaLiga HQ, but Alfonso Feijóo stole the show with a pretty reasonable statement that caused a stir in Valladolid and provoked their mayor's response: that he hopes somebody can beat Valladolid clubs, since it would be the best possible news for Spanish rugby.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 13:22

Armchair Fan wrote:Most Samoan players are already in Europe.

--

Liga Heineken 2018-2019 starts this weekend and it does it with a few interesting clashes, like VRAC Quesos Entrepinares-SilverStorm El Salvador or UBU Colina Clinic-Sanitas Alcobendas.

Presentation was held at LaLiga HQ, but Alfonso Feijóo stole the show with a pretty reasonable statement that caused a stir in Valladolid and provoked their mayor's response: that he hopes somebody can beat Valladolid clubs, since it would be the best possible news for Spanish rugby.

Good point, would’ve rather seen it in France - expose it to a Tier 1 market that hasn’t seen much American rugby and also hopefully have a crowd. I may be remembering wrong but my only memory of the USA-Romania match was an empty stadium, though to be fair it is a bigger one than we use over here.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 14:55

But which USA-Romania are you mentioning? The game previously played in San Sebastián was USA-Tonga and gathered a crowd of 13,000...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 17:46

Tobar wrote:I don’t really understand the reasoning of flying to Spain for a game like this. It reduces the travel if they’re staying in Europe (USA is, I assume Samoa is too) but then Samoa could’ve flown somewhere in the US then go to Europe. It would’ve saved the US some money putting up their players somewhere.

I remember the Romania game had very few people show up. The US just isn’t a draw for neutral fans in Spain.

The last three times we've played Romania it has been in Bucharest. (3x Bucharest, 2x Colombes, 1x Dublin, 1x Moscow, 1xTokyo)

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 21:00

Armchair Fan wrote:But which USA-Romania are you mentioning? The game previously played in San Sebastián was USA-Tonga and gathered a crowd of 13,000...

Sorry, that's what i meant. I seem to recall the game being very empty but my memory must serve me poorly.

Edit: Just found a video, it was pretty empty. There may have been 13,000 tickets sold but I don't know where the rest of them are, unless Wikipedia is wrong and the stadium can hold more than 25,000.

Watch from this point, it gives a good shot of the center being pretty full and then no one anywhere else.
https://youtu.be/Q-Gf0KUOTGQ?t=4m42s

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 21:09

At that time Anoeta could host 32,500.

Wikipedia may say it's now less because it's being renovated and one end is still under construction. Final capacity will be 42,000 and once achieved they expect to host there some Tier 1 test match. They dream of a France v SH nation game.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 21:32

Armchair Fan wrote:At that time Anoeta could host 32,500.

Wikipedia may say it's now less because it's being renovated and one end is still under construction. Final capacity will be 42,000 and once achieved they expect to host there some Tier 1 test match. They dream of a France v SH nation game.

Now that'd be a match for sure. It's right on the border so you'll at least get tons of French fans, not including the Spanish ones too. Hell, I'd like to try and make a game out there (easy to convince the girlfriend to go to Spain).

I have to say though, despite the stadium looking empty for the USA vs Tonga match there were still clearly far more fans than have showed up to a USA rugby match in the US.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 14:17

Liga Heineken 2018-19 - Week 1 - Live Streaming
Saturday 18:00 CEST - UBU-Colina Clinic v Sanitas Alcobendas

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 16 Sep 2018, 09:49

Liga Heineken 2018-19 - Week 1 - Live Streaming
Sunday 12:00 CEST - Independiente v Bizkaia Gernika

Sunday 12:00 CEST - Ampo Ordizia v UE Santboiana

Sunday 12:00 CEST - Complutense Cisneros v La Vila

Sunday 12:25 CEST - SilverStorm El Salvador v VRAC Quesos Entrepinares

Sunday 12:30 CEST - FC Barcelona v Hernani
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 16 Sep 2018, 18:09

Liga Heineken - Week 1 - Results and Standings
SilverStorm El Salvador 26 - 17 VRAC Quesos Entrepinares - VRAC finally defeated after 5 straight wins in the Valladolid derby, but doesn't mean anything since they only did one preseason game
UBU-Colina Clinic 23 - 25 Sanitas Alcobendas - Newly-promoted side was extremely close to a shocking debut win, but refereeing mistakes allowed Alcobendas' comeback in the dying minutes
Independiente 54 - 21 Bizkaia Gernika - There is no such thing as an easy win for Santander team who was leading 26-0 after 32 minutes and allowed Gernika to come back...
Ampo Ordizia 48 - 31 UE Santboiana - Great performance by Ordizia, who I would tip as main darkhorse for this season. They clearly have got guys who make an impact
FC Barcelona 19 - 12 Hernani - Underwhelming game by Barça in spite of some hirings from Argentina this summer, Hernani looked pretty well with a couple of ex-ProD2 guys onboard (Ternisien bros)
Complutense Cisneros 17 - 21 La Vila - Extremely tense match between teams tipped to fight to avoid relegation this season, I see Cisneros in a very dangerous position...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 16 Sep 2018, 19:23

Apparently there was rugby on the TV at an airport in Madrid

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... h=03d6e662

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 09:13

Saw it. Teledeporte or TDP is a sports channel owned by RTVE, Spanish Public Broadcasting corporation, so many TV in public places like airports, train stations, shopping malls or gyms show it 24/7. Considering its official TV figures aren't too big and that RTVE hasn't got the promotional potential of other private broadcasters, this is the main proof it opens new windows for Spanish rugby.

Unfortunately it has so many different sports to cover every weekend that only 8-10 rugby games are live every season there. We normally have to watch them on the net and it shows on tape delay, often at midnight. This upsets rugby fans, but they don't understand that TV window isn't put in place for them. The hardcore fan will always be able to watch the games live on the net, if Heineken and FER pay for TV production and TDP broadcasting it it's because they know they can reach new audiences they can't by being only streamed.

I just hope clubs realise this if they take the reins of the competition for next season instead of just ditching the current TV agreement. Not everything is about live coverage.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 12:30

The fact that you have any TV coverage of club rugby is impressive. I’d gladly take 8-10 live games each year (before we had MLR of course).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 13:00

Yes, we have only 1 match on TV, the final.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 14:17

I checked figures. Last season TDP broadcasted 28 club games (Liga, Copa and Supercopa), 8 test matches and 37 highlights shows. The expense for FER was around 250-300,000€, funded by Heineken and Loterías y Apuestas del Estado (State-owned lottery).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 09:40

Spanish squad for a short training camp next week:
- Ignacio Contardi (Aldro Independiente)
- Nacho Poet (Aldro Independiente)
- Manu Mora (Aldro Independiente)
- Ien Ascroft-Leigh (UBU-Colina Clinic)
- Emiliano Calle (UBU-Colina Clinic)
- Vicente del Hoyo (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Matt Foulds (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Tom Pearce (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Víctor Sánchez (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Leandro Wozniak (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Michael Walker-Fitton (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Alberto Blanco (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares)
- Alvar Gimeno (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares)
- Guillermo Mateu (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares)
- Michael Hogg (FC Barcelona)
- Afa Tauli (UE Sanboiana)
- Facu Munilla (Sanitas Alcobendas)
- Guillermo Domínguez (Complutense Cisneros)
- Richard Steward (Complutense Cisneros)
- Fernando López (Ampo Ordizia)
- Julen Goia (Ampo Ordizia)
- Ángel Durango (Saint Médard, Fédérale 1)
- Beñat Auzqui (Tyrosse, Fédérale 1)
- Gerard Aubanell (Villeurbanne, Fédérale 1)
- Romain Asensi (La Seyne, Fédérale 1)
- Lucas Guillaume (no club)
- Andrea Rábago (Dijon, Fédérale 1)
- Hugo Alonso (Rodez, Fédérale 1)
- Lucas Levy (Berre, Fédérale 2)
- Julien Jardel (Bergerac, Fédérale 1)
- Jordi Jorba (USAP, Espoirs)
- Joshua Peters (Cambridge, National League 1)

32 players. 22 born abroad. I really expected a bigger number of Spanish-born guys, even though some of the 'foreigners' grew up here or have been involved with Spain U18 and U20 sides: Calle, Munilla, Hogg, Rábago, Peters, Mateu... It speaks volumes about the amount of foreigners Liga Heineken has, Santi Santos can't even call enough Spanish youngsters since they don't play in the local league. Still, I miss some of them...

Anyway, there are quite a few from 2016 U20 Trophy in the squad. Great to see Jorba back after a nasty injury that left him out last season.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 13:39, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Raven » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 12:15

Armchair Fan wrote:Spanish squad for a short training camp next week:
- Ignacio Contardi (Aldro Independiente)
- Nacho Poet (Aldro Independiente)
- Manu Mora (Aldro Independiente)
- Ien Ascroft-Leigh (UBU-Colina Clinic)
- Emiliano Calle (UBU-Colina Clinic)
- Vicente del Hoyo (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Matt Foulds (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Tom Pearce (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Víctor Sánchez (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Leandro Wozniak (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Michael Walker-Fitton (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- Alberto Blanco (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares)
- Alvar Gimeno (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares)
- Guillermo Mateu (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares)
- Michael Hogg (FC Barcelona)
- Afa Tauli (UE Sanboiana)
- Facu Munilla (Sanitas Alcobendas)
- Guillermo Domínguez (Complutense Cisneros)
- Richard Steward (Complutense Cisneros)
- Fernando López (Ampo Ordizia)
- Julen Goia (Ampo Ordizia)
- Ángel Durango (Saint Médard, Fédérale 1)
- Beñat Auzqui (Tyrosse, Fédérale 1)
- Gérard Aubanell (Villeurbanne, Fédérale 1)
- Romain Asensi (La Seyne, Fédérale 1)
- Lucas Guillaume (no club)
- Andrea Rábago (Dijon, Fédérale 1)
- Hugo Alonso (Rodez, Fédérale 1)
- Lucas Levy (Berre, Fédérale 2)
- Julien Jardel (Bergerac, Fédérale 1)
- Jordi Jorba (USAP, Espoirs)
- Joshua Peters (Cambridge, National League 1)

32 players. 22 born abroad. I really expected a bigger number of Spanish-born guys, even though some of the 'foreigners' grew up here or have been involved with Spain U18 and U20 sides: Calle, Munilla, Hogg, Rábago, Peters, Mateu... It speaks volumes about the amount of foreigners Liga Heineken has, Santi Santos can't even call enough Spanish youngsters since they don't play in the local leagye. Still, I miss some of them...

Anyway, there are quite a few from 2016 U20 Trophy in the squad. Great to see Jorba back after a nasty injury that left him out last season.

Didn´t he play for Argentina U20?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 12:37

Yes, but he isn't blocked. The one blocked is his brother Sebastián, in ProD2. Both have Spanish passport if I'm not mistaken.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 18:38

Sometimes I consider myself a nacho poet as well

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 14:54

Liga Heineken - Week 2 - Live Streaming
Saturday 17:00 CEST - Bizkaia Gernika v Ampo Ordizia
http://api.gooru.live/v2.0/public/library/462915.html OR

Saturday 17:00 CEST - Hernani v Complutense Cisneros

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 09:27

Liga Heineken - Week 2 - Live Streaming
Sunday 12:00 CEST - Sanitas Alcobendas v Aldro Independiente

Sunday 12:00 CEST - UE Santboiana v SilverStorm El Salvador

Sunday 12:30 CEST - VRAC Quesos Entrepinares v FC Barcelona

Sunday 12:30 CEST - La Vila v UBU-Colina Clinic
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/mas-tdp/directo/ (geoblocked)
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 12:15

Barça beat VRAC in Valladolid! 22-37. Probably the biggest shock in five years. Current champions are dead last and since this game was part of Copa del Rey pool stage too, they risk missing semifinals.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum