Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Figaro » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 09:41

Armchair Fan wrote:I don't have an answer, but I must say it's the same in football or other team sports (not all of them though).

Shorts have almost always been dark blue (some give it a royal explanation, it's House of Bourbon colour) and after the Civil War national team even wore full blue because red was linked to the defeated republican side.

I imagine that from a fashion POV once you've got one colour in pants designers tend to get creative and use it for collars and stripes. At least it's not green like two or three years ago in Sevens...

Plenty of examples where sports teams play in colours that aren't anything to do with the flag colour(s), e.g. Australia and New Zealand in Rugby. Italy seem to play in Blue in most (all?) sports. In football you have the New Zealand national side playing all in white, simply because someone decided that no football team was allowed to play in black (not sure if this has since been reversed).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 10:55

Well, in the case of Italy it has a royal explanation too if I'm not mistaken. Or Germany playing in Prussian white.

It's also fun to have a look at the list of former national auto racing colours:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... ng_colours

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 11:15

black shirts are allowed today. Brazil wore white jerseys before losing to Uruguay in 1950...
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Masochist » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 11:31

Armchair Fan wrote:Well, in the case of Italy it has a royal explanation too if I'm not mistaken. Or Germany playing in Prussian white.

It's also fun to have a look at the list of former national auto racing colours:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... ng_colours

I once did a collection of those "sporting colours". No idea how I missed the blue in Spains jerseys.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 11:37

Figaro wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:I don't have an answer, but I must say it's the same in football or other team sports (not all of them though).

Shorts have almost always been dark blue (some give it a royal explanation, it's House of Bourbon colour) and after the Civil War national team even wore full blue because red was linked to the defeated republican side.

I imagine that from a fashion POV once you've got one colour in pants designers tend to get creative and use it for collars and stripes. At least it's not green like two or three years ago in Sevens...

Plenty of examples where sports teams play in colours that aren't anything to do with the flag colour(s), e.g. Australia and New Zealand in Rugby. Italy seem to play in Blue in most (all?) sports. In football you have the New Zealand national side playing all in white, simply because someone decided that no football team was allowed to play in black (not sure if this has since been reversed).

Named because due to a former FIFA regulation reserving black for referees at the time.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 13:31

Former Santboaia lock, Liam Mitchell (2016-2017), is now included in Hurricanes squad for the next Super Rugby
http://www.rugbycat.cat/liam-mitchell-d ... per-rugby/

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 13:45

Under Lewis Williams leadership Santboiana brought some interesting specimens, but many of them just came for a 'sabbatical' season and then returned to NZ. As the article states, he helped them to clinch Copa del Rey final at Zorrilla against El Salvador.

--

I've done some interesting calculations for El Salvador forum, so I'll share them here too. Some were arguing how many really Spanish-formed players were in the Liga Heineken starting XV this season... After six rounds the average in 7.1, down from 8.2 in the six first rounds of 2017-18 season. And in 2014-15 season it was around 10 or 11 out of 15.

It's ironic because FER changed the rules this season to force to include one more eligible player, but instead of bringing one more youngster onto the field, teams have replaced them for two foreigners eligible through residency or young enough to by-pass the rule...

--

TV spot from Castilla y León regional channel to promote grassroots rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 10:11

I always thouht that the blue shorts were a reminiscence of when the team played with the colours of Falange, the fascist party supporting the Franco regime, but searching for confirmation I found that they were already in use in the 1920s.

It's a tradition long stablished and almost impossible to change, but in any case, I wouldn't mind to play with yellow shorts now and then. The Sevens team had to use them sometimes with the red shirt in some games, and I really liked the result.

And even if red nd blue are the most usual colours, other sports have their own combinations. Field hockey team plays with red shorts and yellow shirts. Basketball team used to play with blue shorts, but since the 80s plays with full red kits (being the alternative kit full white).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 14:26

Only one game today...

Liga Heineken - Week 7 - Live Streaming
Saturday 16:30 - Complutense Cisneros v Aldro Independiente
http://api.gooru.live/v2.0/public/library/471195.html

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:47

Liga Heineken - Week 7 - Live Streaming
Sunday 12:00 - Hernani v Bizkaia Gernika

Sunday 12:00 - La Vila v Sanitas Alcobendas

Sunday 12:30 - VRAC Quesos Entrepinares v UE Santboiana

Sunday 12:30 - FC Barcelona v Ampo Ordizia
http://api.gooru.live/v2.0/public/library/470630.html

Sunday 12:30 - UBU-Colina Clinic v SilverStorm El Salvador
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/rugb ... r/4824393/
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 18:32

What's this? Red, yellow or nothing at all? Find out with our next Liga Heineken résumé... El Salvador forum is boiling.

View from the opposite side:
https://twitter.com/jalasheras/status/1 ... 8503282689

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 23:41

Armchair Fan wrote:What's this? Red, yellow or nothing at all? Find out with our next Liga Heineken résumé... El Salvador forum is boiling.

View from the opposite side:
https://twitter.com/jalasheras/status/1 ... 8503282689

Definitely a penalty and with the direct contact to the head could even qualify as a yellow.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 23:55

Ref gave a simple penalty initially and TMO called it a red card judging by the two cameras you see in screenshots. El Salvador was one man down 10 minutes into the game and lost its first match of the season.

TMO (only working in one game per round, not all league games) was hyperactive and denied UBU-Colina Clinic three tries (two of them suspicious enough), forced another yellow card for El Salvador and said there was nothing to see in a late tackle by UBU-Colina Clinic which sent home one of El Salvador players.

El Salvador coach was furious, one of the team managers was red carded for insulting an assistant ref, an UBU-Colina Clinic celebrated their winning try by ironically making the TMO signal with his hands... Crazy.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 00:34

Armchair Fan wrote:Ref gave a simple penalty initially and TMO called it a red card judging by the two cameras you see in screenshots. El Salvador was one man down 10 minutes into the game and lost its first match of the season.

TMO (only working in one game per round, not all league games) was hyperactive and denied UBU-Colina Clinic three tries (two of them suspicious enough), forced another yellow card for El Salvador and said there was nothing to see in a late tackle by UBU-Colina Clinic which sent home one of El Salvador players.

El Salvador coach was furious, one of the team managers was red carded for insulting an assistant ref, an UBU-Colina Clinic celebrated their winning try by ironically making the TMO signal with his hands... Crazy.

Depends on whether it was seen to be intentional targeting of the head or accidental. From the sounds of it the TMO took the position that it was intentional and therefore a red card. It's hard for me to determine from the stills but it looks from what I can see to be accidental. So a YC would have sufficed in my opinion.

Regarding the TMO situation. They've become a real issue in the game. Interfering with games mid play is a big problem. It's about time there role was redefined and on field decisions put solely in the hands of the refs in the middle. The TMO should be there to spot any missed foul play and put forth citing recommendations but they never should have such a big and often disruptive impact on the play.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 10:01

Liga Heineken - Week 7 - Results and standings
La Vila 12 - 21 Sanitas Alcobendas (Alcobendas keeps the lead but sees another bonus point fly, Lucas Guillaume scored two tries)
UBU-Colina Clinic 29 - 27 SilverStorm El Salvador (first defeat for El Salvador against the promoted team, lacked some players and that red made them lose the plot)
VRAC Quesos Entrepinares 34 - 21 UE Santboiana (VRAC is back after a strong comeback in the second half)
Barça Rugbi 22 - 34 Ampo Ordizia (no chance for Barça, who had to host a home game in a third different ground this season...)
Complutense Cisneros 34 - 39 Senor Independiente (Cisneros let this victory escape after leading for most of the game and stays dead last)
Hernani 35 - 27 Bizkaia Gernika (Hernani qualifies for Cup semifinals for the first time in over 30 years)

--

Burgos local media have given great coverage to UBU-Colina Clinic win
ImageImage

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 20:18

We've got playing numbers from 2017-18 season and they aren't good. There is a strong deceleration, with only a 4.1% growth (smallest since 2013) mostly driven by female numbers.

Licences 2017-18: 35,621 (+4.1%)
Men: 30,489 (+3.1%)
Women: 5,132 (+10.1%)

Breakdown by regions:
- Madrid: 8,773 (+4.6%)
- Catalonia: 6,415 (-1.2%)
- Andalucia: 4,861 (+16.8%)
- Valencia: 4,089 (+3.1%)
- Castilla y León: 2,313 (+8.1%)
- Basque Country: 1,978 (+2.3%)
- Galicia: 1,645 (+11.7%)
- Balearic Islands: 1,035 (+6.2%)
- Asturias: 1,018 (+11,3%)
- Navarra: 921 (+2.8%)
- Murcia: 863 (-6.2%)
- Aragon: 646 (-16.1%)
- Cantabria: 643 (+4.2%)
- Canary Islands: 236 (-1.7%)
- Extremadura: 185 (-39.1%)

The causes have already been exposed multiple times in the topic. Catalonia and Euskadi have been losing male players for a long time now and aren't what they used to be, Madrid shows worrying signs in underage rugby (U18 players have been decreasing for four or five years, there are less kid teams this season) and other regions found big problems due to lack of facilities.

FER put itself a goal to have 40,000 by 2020, but with these stats and missing RWC it's going to be too tight.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 17:22

Spanish squad for November tests

A bit of everything. Big absences, retirements, youngsters, surprising returns...

Postby 4N » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 17:38

Mickael de Marco is an awesome addition for Spain. Should still have a few good years left in him.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 11 Nov 2018, 10:01

Liga Heineken - Week 8 - Live Streaming
Bizkaia Gernika v VRAC Quesos Entrepinares

Sanitas Alcobendas v Hernani

UE Santboiana v UBU-Colina Clinic

Ampo Ordizia v Complutense Cisneros

SilverStorm El Salvador v Barça Rugbi

Aldro Independiente v La Vila
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 12 Nov 2018, 16:43

Liga Heineken - Week 8 - Results and Standings
Sanitas Alcobendas 59 - 19 Hernani
Bizkaia Gernika 21 - 42 VRAC Quesos Entrepinares
SilverStorm El Salvador 33 - 16 Barça Rugbi
Ampo Ordizia 15 - 7 Complutense Cisneros
Aldro Independiente 33 - 17 La Vila
UE Santboiana 37 - 29 UBU-Colina Clinic

The league takes now a week off as Spain will use a heavily local-based team for its test match against Namibia. Watch out the following week because we will have a big clash between Alcobendas and VRAC, although deprived of some of their biggest stars due to Spain v Samoa game.

--

You've seen me in the past bragging how many teams were taking part in underage Spanish championships and tournaments. But I'm afraid this is over. FER has released calls to tender for these tournaments hosting rights and they have decided to put a cap for all of them, particularly hitting U16 and U14 tournaments. Last year we got 52 and 58 teams in those, but FER has put a cap of 40 and 48, probably to prevent them to keep growing and make them unaffordable due to lack of pitches.

On the other hand, U18 and U16 regional championships have been expanded and will be played in round robin format: 5 weeks instead of 3. This season top tier will be played by Madrid, Catalonia, Valencia, Andalucía, Balearic Islands and Navarra. If anybody wonders who is missing, Basque Country decided years ago to stop playing there and Castilla y León (Valladolid) got relegated against Balearic Islands last season.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 09:34

Armchair Fan wrote:You've seen me in the past bragging how many teams were taking part in underage Spanish championships and tournaments. But I'm afraid this is over. FER has released calls to tender for these tournaments hosting rights and they have decided to put a cap for all of them, particularly hitting U16 and U14 tournaments. Last year we got 52 and 58 teams in those, but FER has put a cap of 40 and 48, probably to prevent them to keep growing and make them unaffordable due to lack of pitches.

Logical next step. I would have capped earlier and instead form a 2nd or 3rd level tournament. Anything out how those teams will qualify for the tournament?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 09:39

Second level tournament already exists in U18 and U16, within the same event. No words yet on how teams will be picked.

--

David Melé is gone from the squad to face Namibia, as well as Guillermo Domínguez (he's too often injured since his great U20 Trophy in 2016) and Thibaut Visensang:
http://www.ferugby.es/noticias2.php?tit ... %20Namibia

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 00:44

Spain's coaching hoping to lure the Maori in 2019. Perfect opportunity for Georgia, Romania and Russia to work with Spain to get the Maori to tour next year.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 01:25

Romania maybe, but Georgia won't have a November test window right after RWC.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 13:32

Extended squad for the test match v Samoa:

IN: Vicente del Hoyo (HK, El Salvador, Liga Heineken), Bittor Aboitiz (TH, Rodez, Fédérale 1), David Barrera (LL, Villeurbanne, Fédérale 1), Asier Usárraga (OF, Biarritz, ProD2), Thibaut Visensang (Cognac, Fédérale 1, N8), Mathieu Peluchon (FH, Cognac, Fédérale 1), Fabien Perrin (OC, Bourg-en-Bresse, ProD2), Mauricio Londoño (RW, Alcobendas, Liga Heineken)

OUT: Unai Lasa (HK, Ordizia, Liga Heineken), Xerom Civil (TH, Agen, Top 14), Manu Mora (LL, Independiente, Liga Heineken), Toby Francis (OF, Leeds Beckett, BUCS), Lucas Rubio (SF, Agen, Top 14), Andrew Norton (FH, Cisneros, Liga Heineken), Hugo Alonso (RW, Rodez, Fédérale 1)

Tidbits:
- I wonder whether David Barrera will become captain or Fernando López will keep it
- We lose quite a bit among forwards, but it will be interesting to see Del Hoyo (another 2016 U20 Trophy generation player) and Aboitiz
- If I'm not mistaken Londoño was born in Colombia, although he has spent many years now first in Alcalá and then Alcobendas, being called to train with 7s national team

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum