Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Aug 2019, 19:16

Bautista Güemes (Barça) admits in this interview in Argentina that he would accept a call by Spain to become our 10. He will be eligible by September 2020:
https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2275184

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Thu, 08 Aug 2019, 21:21

Always fascinating reading your posts about Spanish rugby, Armchair Fan. I think I've mentioned I lived there for five years, and am familiar with Andalusia, Madrid, the Basque Country and Catalonia in particular. A lot of those place names bring back memories. It seems also that the B division has been regionalized, with Basque teams dominant in Pool A, Catalan teams in B and Andalusian teams in C. Overall it appears there is a fairly even spread around the country now, although the game seems particularly strong in the Basque region - as well as the two major metropolitan centers, of course. That augurs well for the future of rugby in Spain, and Portugal's return to the top division will have additional benefits for the game on the peninsula.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Aug 2019, 22:01

I'm afraid things don't look that rosy in the Basque Country. They have the history, the clubs network and the know-how, explaining why the stream of young players to Bayonne and Biarritz academies kept going but its growth has been almost non-existant in latest years.

Many of the reasons have little to do with rugby. Demographics play against them with an aging population and clubs based often in small villages. This summer a well settled club like Baztan made a desperate call looking for players because the fear they won't be able to field a senior team this year. Durango was destroyed in last DHB season and declined to retrieve their spot when offered. We've seen Euskadi lose two of their former four teams in Liga Heineken and Hernani is battling a war they can't win, with an amateur ethos that means most people pick them and Cisneros for the relegation battle this year.

Hopes are on the new Euro Basque Challenge, as nationalism always fuels sponsorship... but still that niche is well occupied by Athletic Club in football. Even their successful Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team disappeared. Another possible hope is seeing Gaztedi and Universitario in DHB, from Vitoria and Bilbao instead of smaller villages where sponsorship for a semiprofesional setup may be harder to find.

Of course Getxo and Gernika will be favorites for promotion as two of the last relegated sides. But we may see emerging teams from Galicia as Bathco (Santander) or UBU-Colina Clinic (Burgos) did with more modern and professional focuses. CRAT was close to promotion playoff last season but saw a couple of their top players flee to Kuban in Russia before the end of the season.

And without a situation as critical as I see in Euskadi, the same could be said about Catalunya and Valencia. If I had to bet on Pool B I'd put my money on Fenix from Zaragoza, they have been doing their job properly over the last few years. In Catalunya Barça and Santboiana often drain the surrounding academies, so I find hard to see Sant Cugat or L'Hospitalet getting promoted. Valencia clubs have this year additional funding from Juan Roig (local millionaire) but they are still divided in five different teams... Who knows.

In Pool C CRC and Liceo from Madrid will still be favorites, with Jaén and Marbella signing a lot this summer and therefore being an incognita.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Aug 2019, 23:17

Yet more changes in DHB for this coming season. Did I say CRAT was close to playoffs and I tipped them to do well in Pool A? Well, they have renounced to take part and given their spot to Belenos (Avilés, Asturias).

In a straightforward press release they say that when they got promoted to DHB back in 2012 one of their goals was to be competitive with a homebred squad and they feel they have failed in a league too long (22 games, too many in the Basque Country >500 km) and full of foreigners. I spoke to people in the know and they tell their guys were no longer comfortable with semipro status, especially after last season where some fell out of love, some pros left before the end of the season to move to Russia...

Thinking that they were no longer able to cope with the demands of Spanish second-tier they offered to create a Galicia franchise, leaving their spot free for a reunion of at least four clubs where they would be one of its feeders. But when U23/Reserve Liga Heineken competition was announced one of the other clubs (Ferrol) was given a chance to get promoted to DHB and the project fell through. Therefore they claim "we give away our spot in the hope that the receiving club will be able to feel the motivation we no longer have due to the way this competition has developed".

It could be an anecdote, but bear in mind Durango did renounce to DHB as well and teams like Olímpico de Pozuelo or XV Hortaleza, very reliant on their academies, didn't want to take part in repechage/promotion play-offs when some spots got free. We've got as well Catalunya and Valencia teams declining to take part in promotion play-offs in every post-season. It's not that they lack players or budget, it's that they now think it's not worth the effort. Some serious questions will be posed in the coming months because DHB seems broken.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 10:21

I have read the press release in Revista 22, I think a rubicon has been cross and not sure for the benefit of Spanish Rugby. I agree DHB seems to have problems and too much pressure on teams.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 10:46

Heineken drops División de Honor title sponsorship and FER announces it won't be broadcast on TV this season as a consequence of their battle with clubs:
http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... de%20Honor

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 11:15

this seems very significant? what will the repercussions be if any?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 11:29

- No weekly match in TDP, Spanish public broadcaster sport TV channel.
- Heineken reducing its contribution to FER budget and who knows if totally out. It's the main sponsor.

There won't a meltdown of División de Honor, the league will probably go ahead as if nothing had happened. But it's a huge blow to its visibility and Spanish rugby growth.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 11:58

Armchair Fan wrote:Heineken drops División de Honor title sponsorship and FER announces it won't be broadcast on TV this season as a consequence of their battle with clubs:
http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... de%20Honor

As a consequence of their battle, FER will be shooting itself in the foot. Good job.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 12:01

Ouch.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 11:43

Oh, for crying out loud. Can the news from Europe get any worse?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 21 Aug 2019, 23:53

Some stats on YouTube view from Liga Heineken 2018-19:
- 2529 views on average per match, +35% compared to 2017-18 season
- Current Cup format is attractive. Pool matches were watched a 30% more than the average of the league
- UBU-Colina Clinic promotion was key, both because Burgos is a bigget city than Getxo and because of the novelty. The most streamed match of the season was their first game in Liga Heineken against Alcobendas and they featured in 5 games from Top 15, as many as VRAC and one more than El Salvador
- FER was quicker in uploading to YouTube all the games broadcast on TV and that helped to double YouTube views from their channel, in addition to TV audiences, streaming from RTVE website, etc...
- Bigger YouTube channels get more views than clubs ones. To me it's a clear indication that Liga Nacional de Rugby should work on creating a sole YouTube channel for all their games. Will they be able to agree on that?
- Views should improve even more next season, as Gernika, known for their poor streaming service, is gone and Ciencias Sevilla is back. They were very followed the last time they featured in División de Honor
- It is just a shame that Cisneros and Barça stopped streaming their games on YouTube and switched to Gooru/Canal FERugby TV, a lesser known platform. They were quite well followed and I doubt they get half of that following now

Top 15 games streamed on YouTube. Bear in mind that some of the stellar games were broadcast on TV and watched live, not on YouTube:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 22 Aug 2019, 09:25

Article in La Nación about players from Argentina arriving to Spanish rugby. Unfortunately the amount of them is severely underestimated, to me they are almost a hundred in División de Honor:
https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2279629

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 24 Aug 2019, 07:42

In addition to my suspicion, these guys have made a serious effort to breakdown the nationality of Liga Heineken 2018-19 players:
https://rugbyspain.com/2019/08/nacional ... tadistica/

35.6% of them were foreign-born, with Argentina being overwhelmingly the most likely origin (77 players, 17.6% overall).

Postby 4N » Sat, 24 Aug 2019, 13:57

Armchair Fan wrote:In addition to my suspicion, these guys have made a serious effort to breakdown the nationality of Liga Heineken 2018-19 players:

35.6% of them were foreign-born, with Argentina being overwhelmingly the most likely origin (77 players, 17.6% overall).

It’s interesting (but not surprising) that the Basque clubs are mostly homegrown.

Postby Raven » Tue, 03 Sep 2019, 12:59

Armchair Fan wrote:In addition to my suspicion, these guys have made a serious effort to breakdown the nationality of Liga Heineken 2018-19 players:

Sorry, are these 77 Argentines all "Argentina eligible" or in those 77 they count the Argentinians who are already playing for the Spainsh National team? I would assume those are already counted as "Spanish" and maybe that´s why the number isn´t as high as you had envisioned?

The article written by La Nacion had a different aim than the one from Rugby Spain, hence why the former is less accurate. Sources probably vary too.

And asking something a bit off topic to the one that´s being discussed here right now; is the Division de Honor to be compared in standard with the Italian Peroni Top 12? or still a notch down like the Serie A/B? And I guess this one is a bit more difficult to compare ATM but could it be matched to MLR based on the standard / level of play?
Both Italy and Spain have quite a number of players from ARG who could be making their way back within the current or next season to the SLAR and I´m curious to know what sort of level they might bring to the plate...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 03 Sep 2019, 14:07

I doubt they are all Argentina eligible and some Spanish players were counted. There are even some who have played for other European nations (Croatia, Poland...).

División de Honor is still behind Italian Top 12. Results in Continental Shield were pretty clear.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 08 Sep 2019, 09:06

At 12:30 CEST VRAC Quesos Entrepinares hosts newly branded Lexus Alcobendas Rugby in the 2019 Spanish Supercup final. Live broadcast expected here, but I don't know if geoblocking will be in place:
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/mas-tdp/dir ... id=1938078
https://www.rtvcyl.es/Directo.aspx

P.S: only two players born in Spain in Alcobendas starting XV, another example of why the national team is composed the way it is.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 10:51

Spain will face a team from Occitanie next November 16:
https://pateoapalos.wordpress.com/2019/ ... os-leones/

--

VRAC Quesos Entrepinares defeated Lexus Alcobendas pretty easily (33-18), being particularly better in the second half, to clinch 2019 Spanish Supercup

--

UE Santboiana overcame an early 0-14 deficit to beat Barça Rugbi (31-14) at 2019 Catalan Supercup

--

Aviron Bayonnais Espoirs beat Biarritz Olympique Espoirs in the shortened Euro Basque Rugby Challenge final, after Biarritz G7 summit forced some games to be cancelled. Ordizia was the best team from the southern part of Basque Country.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 16:07

I wasn't excited at all by that Occitanie game, but holy shit, this new article turned me on:
https://www.francebleu.fr/sports/rugby/ ... 1568026385

- Played in Toulouse, at Stade Ernest-Wallon
- Émile Ntamack and David Marty as Occitanie coaches
- Toulouse, Montpellier, Castres, Béziers, Perpignan, Colomiers, Carcassonne and Montauban agreed to release 3-4 players each
- Doubleheader with women's game played a couple of hours before
- FER initiated contacts with Ligue Occitanie de Rugby and said they would pay for it
- They want to build on the relationship with both Spain and Tier 2 rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 13 Sep 2019, 09:41

Former El Salvador President 'Hansen' will face Feijoo in 2020 FER elections
https://www.revista22.es/2019/09/feijoo ... de-la-fer/

There goes the long awaited move from Valladolid to take over FER

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 14 Sep 2019, 14:53

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 1 - Live Streaming
Saturday 17:00 CEST - Complutense Cisneros v Lexus Alcobendas
http://canalferugby.tv/video/complutens ... as-1/11135

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 15 Sep 2019, 09:53

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 1 - Live Streaming
Sunday 12:00 CEST - Ampo Ordizia v UBU-Colina Clinic

Sunday 12:00 CEST - Ciencias Cajasol Olavide v Hernani

Sunday 12:30 CEST - Aldro Independiente v UE Santboiana
https://api.gooru.live/v2.0/public/library/498103.html

Sunday 12:30 CEST - VRAC Quesos Entrepinares v Bathco Rugby Club

Sunday 13:00 CEST - Barça Rugbi v SilverStorm El Salvador
https://api.gooru.live/v2.0/public/library/498135.html

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 22:35

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 1 - Results and Standings
Complutense Cisneros 18 - 17 Lexus Alcobendas :shock: :shock: :shock:
Barça Rugbi 29 - 27 SilverStorm El Salvador :shock: :shock: :shock:
VRAC Quesos Entrepinares 26 - 20 Bathco Rugby Club :shock:
Ciencias Cajasol Olavide 62 - 17 Hernani :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ampo Ordizia 44 - 7 UBU-Colina Clinic :shock:
Aldro Independiente 26 - 27 UE Santboiana

Amazing first round, not so much because of outstanding plays but because of shocking results both regarding winners and winning margins. Alcobendas looked helpless in the Madrid derby, El Salvador threw away an easy win with a stupid late kick, Bathco led in Valladolid for most of the game, Ciencias looks to have recruited awesomely...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 21 Sep 2019, 14:53

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 2 - Live Streaming
Saturday 17:00 CEST - Hernani v Complutense Cisneros

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum