Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 15:37

Bogdan_DC wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:
olivier wrote:Don't catch you. Romania was free under 16. Germany is free under 10. They want those between 10 and 16 to pay.
Oh ok. Now I understand you. I didn't quite get the gist of Armchair's remark. I thought he meant the other way around.

It looks like at the Romania game they have some issues with the police because of the big crowd over the capacity of the place. So you understand right that part, they are trying to have a better control over this.

Yes, there's nothing official about it, it's only my suspicion. But I truly believe they asked those between 10 and 16 to pay so to disencourage attendance at least for this game, without margin to move it to a different venue.

Bogdan_DC wrote:@Armchair i don't want to look like the crazy mayor fan :) but a game in Valladolid and a big crowd i think will make some even bigger waves in actual context of the Spanish rugby. It is a good moment to exploit by FER and maybe a good way to forget some old conflicts. Maybe in June or November?

I'm all for a game in Valladolid as long as it's in Zorrilla, not Pepe Rojo, or in any decent stadium near Madrid (Vallecas, Coliseum Alfonso Pérez, Butarque...). Or any city offering their soccer stadium, bloody hell, I'm from southern Spain it would be stupid for me to defend everything must be played in Madrid. The fact I didn't like the way Valladolid mayor talked doesn't mean anything other than that.

Games against Romania and Germany were always going to be in Madrid because staff and players wanted to, to minimise travel time between Krasnodar and Spain and Tbilisi-Spain-Brussels and keep training in places they know well, apart from the fact all ticketing was going to be earned by FER. But it's pretty clear big games can no longer be hosted in Central stadium.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 15:43

If they can have 20 k people (or i remember wrong?) on Spanish cup final i bet they can do the same or better for Leones.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 15:49

You don't remember wrong. 26,000 in 2016, 21,000 in 2017. I can only pray for those in power to recover sanity...

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 15:52

AF yes that's a valid point about logistical and player welfare concerns for the team. But yes, one of the judgements of the ability of a sports organisation is how well they react to the success of their main team. Certainly if not already locked in to some contractural agreement (and I think you have spoken about this before in regards to games at that stadium in Madrid), the big game next year v GEO should be held in a bigger capacity stadium. FER should already be thinking about that now. And if you indeed qualify for RWC19 it's likely you'll get a couple of T2 games in November (I have a suspicion that if you directly qualify you may be requested to go to Denver in June and then USA reciprocate to you in November, along with maybe a PI team (Samoa?) since you've already had Fiji and Tonga recently and/or again maybe Uruguay), so again especially against someone like USA and a PI team FER will need to get it's act together and find good stadiums.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 16:08

Feijóo, FER president, recently said he had offers from San Sebastián (although Anoeta is in works and their idea was to host a Tier 1 v Tier 1 game once it is renovated) and Málaga (I imagine it would be the same athletics stadium used against Uruguay in 2016). Plus let's see how Copa del Rey final in Valencia works, Ciutat de València stadium could be very good for a test match (24k).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 18:23

Charly Malié is missing the game against Germany citing family issues:
https://www.revista22.es/2018/03/malie- ... -del-leon/

--

As Spain hasn't got lyrics in our anthem Rodrigo Contreras, a rock radio station host who also hosts a rugby podcasts and comments rugby on TV, proposed a Spanish rock song to be sung before games. It seems they will share pamphlets ahead of the game against Germany so people can read lyrics... :D
https://www.alacontra.es/rugby-el-xv-de ... -loquillo/

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 00:35

Uh huh! I was wondering why the heck none of the Spanish guys were singing. I expected passionate singing like Portugal in 2007, Italy, Argentina etc and all I saw was players mouths not moving! :lol:

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 01:04

There is no way to propose lyrics for the Spanish anthem without somebody getting really mad.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 01:11

Maybe we should go the South African way and put a sentence in Catalan, another in Basque, then in Galician, let's not forget a whitled one... :lol:

But yes, it's a very hot topic. And to be honest, when people just hum the anthem, most of the time they get it wrong. Yes, we haven't got lyrics and we still aren't able to learn it properly.

Before Spain v Romania I even suggested in El Salvador forum that we could sing La Marseillaise...

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 01:56

Armchair Fan wrote:
Before Spain v Romania I even suggested in El Salvador forum that we could sing La Marseillaise...

Oooooh that's a good one

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 13:08

Spanish anthem has no words? Strange.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 15:23

King Felipe VI will attend the game this Sunday:
http://ferugby.es/noticias2.php?titulo= ... 20Alemania

I don't like it. Not only because I'm a republican, in the end I already went to the Cup final he attended and he's the head of State, but because we're playing with fire and everything can come like a boomerang if we fail to qualify for RWC. Now we've got his presence and the Webb Ellis Cup shown on place during the game, as if we were World Champions...
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 15:27

I always thnk whenever royalty attend or act as patrons it just reinforces the idea of elitism. Keeps a much needed element away.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 15:40

Well, I cannot imagine a single mass sport in Spain our royal family hasn't attended. It doesn't show that much elitism here. Royal House knows rugby and places like Valladolid or Madrid ensure him he won't be booed and he desperately needs good vibes. And for FER it's kind of a slap in Valladolid's mayor face, after he swanked so much about his presence in 2016 Cup final.

I understand the reasoning, I just don't share it's the best time to do this. We haven't achieved anything yet. And furthermore, it's raining for the whole week in Madrid...

Postby 4N » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 15:51

IMO, you guys can't lose vs Germany, they have too many issues. But Belgium in Brussels could be a trap game.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 19:09

Armchair Fan wrote:King Felipe VI will attend the game this Sunday:

I don't like it. Not only because I'm a republican, in the end I already went to the Cup final he attended and he's the head of State, but because we're playing with fire and everything can come like a boomerang if we fail to qualify for RWC. Now we've got his presence and the Webb Ellis Cup shown on place during the game, as if we were World Champions...

There's an easy solution for that: don't fuck up.

Also, this is definitely getting some attention anyway because the Eggchasers are headed down to you guys with about 500 fans. The difference in this from their last Tier 2 tour is that they should be much more outnumbered than in Romania.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 19:29

Armchair Fan wrote:Games against Romania and Germany were always going to be in Madrid because staff and players wanted to, to minimise travel time between Krasnodar and Spain and Tbilisi-Spain-Brussels and keep training in places they know well, apart from the fact all ticketing was going to be earned by FER. But it's pretty clear big games can no longer be hosted in Central stadium.

I really like the stadium you guys have - it offers a very intimate and community based feel as opposed to some of the larger stadiums. But yes, if you continue to have as much interest as you did during the Romania match then they should definitely be moved elsewhere. If they still want to keep it near Madrid then the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez is slightly bigger and still kind of close. Keep in mind that I have never been to Spain so this could be a horrible location but looks good from my 2 second search on Wikipedia.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 19:34

Tobar wrote:Also, this is definitely getting some attention anyway because the Eggchasers are headed down to you guys with about 500 fans. The difference in this from their last Tier 2 tour is that they should be much more outnumbered than in Romania.

Man I was there, eggchasers were like 100 - 150 among 6000.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 19:36

Tobar wrote:Also, this is definitely getting some attention anyway because the Eggchasers are headed down to you guys with about 500 fans. The difference in this from their last Tier 2 tour is that they should be much more outnumbered than in Romania.

It won't be too different. That game they attended in Romania was in Bucharest, not Cluj. There was a decent crowd. And don't expect a great one in Madrid this Sunday, rain will stop many.

Tobar wrote:If they still want to keep it near Madrid then the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez is slightly bigger and still kind of close. Keep in mind that I have never been to Spain so this could be a horrible location but looks good from my 2 second search on Wikipedia.

Coliseum Alfonso Pérez is a perfect location. I lived nearby for a long time. It's got train station, Metro station, parking, highway access, a university and lots of students living there... but as long as Getafe is in LaLiga First Division it's hard to convince them.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 19:51

Maybe Estadio de Vallecas?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 20:01

amz wrote:

I'm basing this off of what they said in their pod - they did say they drank the tent dry so maybe they all just clustered around there lol

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 20:03

Armchair Fan wrote:
Tobar wrote:If they still want to keep it near Madrid then the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez is slightly bigger and still kind of close. Keep in mind that I have never been to Spain so this could be a horrible location but looks good from my 2 second search on Wikipedia.

Coliseum Alfonso Pérez is a perfect location. I lived nearby for a long time. It's got train station, Metro station, parking, highway access, a university and lots of students living there... but as long as Getafe is in LaLiga First Division it's hard to convince them.

I imagine La Liga presents difficulties because of the power they have and what I assume is reluctance to give it up to something like rugby. Soccer seem to be far more politically intertwined in places like Spain and South America than it does in the US, at least in the sense that there are generally multiple sports leagues with varying degrees of power.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 20:11

Tobar wrote:
amz wrote:

I'm basing this off of what they said in their pod - they did say they drank the tent dry so maybe they all just clustered around there lol

well, the tent was for premium tickets only so not for whole stadium (say like 300 maybe 400, maybe less). certainly they didn't drank the rest of the beer from entire stadium. besides, tent doesn't last more than one hour after the match, they close regardless how much drinks are left. :lol:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 20:13

qwerty wrote:Maybe Estadio de Vallecas?

It's another option often proposed on forums, since it hosted Super Ibérica only finals. But we are talking about an older stadium, where it's hard to park nearby... In the end we would go wherever they told us to, but I'd rather see Getafe than Vallecas.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 23:49

Armchair Fan wrote:King Felipe VI will attend the game this Sunday:

Mate, they've got this. They would have to screw up big time to lose to this German side. They no longer even need bonus points to qualify. 2 wins, 2 weakest teams in the REC to beat, and 160 mins away from the World Cup.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum