Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Georgia (Lelos)

Re: Georgia (Lelos)

Postby 4N » Sun, 26 Feb 2017, 13:40

datodato wrote:I posted this somewhere else. I would like to know what you think about it:

If the 6 Nations won't let Georgia in in the near Future here is something Rugby Europe can do:

(1) For the short period: Place the Games "Georgia vs. Russia" and "Georgia vs. Romania" exactly on the time when Italy plays that day (against whoever you want, but especielly against England or Ireland where they have 0% chance of winning and nobody would even bother watching it). Promote those Georgia games HEAVILY, and I mean really HEAVILY, in the french and british media, on blogs and Twitter, Facebook and everywhere, make really big events out of it. Then organise a good Facebook-Stream and a Youtube-Stream by Rugby Europe (they already have a good stream on their website) and drive down the Ratings for the Italy games they play at that time. If you do that smart enough you could cost the Tournament quite a big amount of Money.

I mean their weak point is Italy. And their desire are ratings (and money). Rugby Europe's strength is Georgia. So you could try and hit with your strength their weak point and deprive them what they desire the most. Just an idea...

:thumbup:

Georgia-Russia needs a marketable name - Caucasus Cup or somesuch. Also Russia would need to cooperate and not host Georgia in Sochi any more. That stadium is too 'amateur'.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 26 Feb 2017, 20:59

Nice article about two Irishmen working for Georgia since last Summer:
http://www.the42.ie/georgia-irish-john- ... 7-Feb2017/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Feb 2017, 07:59

datodato wrote:I posted this somewhere else. I would like to know what you think about it:

If the 6 Nations won't let Georgia in in the near Future here is something Rugby Europe can do:

(1) For the short period: Place the Games "Georgia vs. Russia" and "Georgia vs. Romania" exactly on the time when Italy plays that day (against whoever you want, but especielly against England or Ireland where they have 0% chance of winning and nobody would even bother watching it). Promote those Georgia games HEAVILY, and I mean really HEAVILY, in the french and british media, on blogs and Twitter, Facebook and everywhere, make really big events out of it. Then organise a good Facebook-Stream and a Youtube-Stream by Rugby Europe (they already have a good stream on their website) and drive down the Ratings for the Italy games they play at that time. If you do that smart enough you could cost the Tournament quite a big amount of Money.

I mean their weak point is Italy. And their desire are ratings (and money). Rugby Europe's strength is Georgia. So you could try and hit with your strength their weak point and deprive them what they desire the most. Just an idea...

Sorry, but this is not realistic. Would you watch Germany vs. Belgium, when Georgia is playing? Same goes for every Englishmen. Nobody will watch Georgia playing Russia or Romania over a 6N game. I would even go as far as trying to avoid 6N games could be the key for the Rugby Europe Championship. It is probably better if a die-hard-rugby-fan will have the chance to see an additional game. But you will never get the casual fan who watches i.e. his country at the 6N.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Mon, 27 Feb 2017, 09:04

RugbyLiebe wrote: Sorry, but this is not realistic. Would you watch Germany vs. Belgium, when Georgia is playing? Same goes for every Englishmen. Nobody will watch Georgia playing Russia or Romania over a 6N game. I would even go as far as trying to avoid 6N games could be the key for the Rugby Europe Championship. It is probably better if a die-hard-rugby-fan will have the chance to see an additional game. But you will never get the casual fan who watches i.e. his country at the 6N.

It's not about the fans whos country is playing against Italy. And to be honest next week I rather watch Germany vs. Belgium than Georgia vs. Spain, because that match will be won easily by Georgia while the Belgium match will decide if Germany will stay on the road to Japan 2019.

But would you watch Ireland vs. Wales when you are from England, France, Wales or Scotland? Or would you watch England vs. Italy when you are from Ireland, Wales, France or Scotland? Or would you rather watch a proper Test match between Romania and Georgia at Dinamo with 55.000 or even Russia vs. Georgia? If well promoted, well streamed and with some rugby personalities there not all, but a big chunk of rugbyfans would rather watch that - and if you even manage to make it to a solidarity movement with hashtags and all that, it could be quite a big thing.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Feb 2017, 09:36

datodato wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote: Sorry, but this is not realistic. Would you watch Germany vs. Belgium, when Georgia is playing? Same goes for every Englishmen. Nobody will watch Georgia playing Russia or Romania over a 6N game. I would even go as far as trying to avoid 6N games could be the key for the Rugby Europe Championship. It is probably better if a die-hard-rugby-fan will have the chance to see an additional game. But you will never get the casual fan who watches i.e. his country at the 6N.

It's not about the fans whos country is playing against Italy. And to be honest next week I rather watch Germany vs. Belgium than Georgia vs. Spain, because that match will be won easily by Georgia while the Belgium match will decide if Germany will stay on the road to Japan 2019.

But would you watch Ireland vs. Wales when you are from England, France, Wales or Scotland? Or would you watch England vs. Italy when you are from Ireland, Wales, France or Scotland? Or would you rather watch a proper Test match between Romania and Georgia at Dinamo with 55.000 or even Russia vs. Georgia? If well promoted, well streamed and with some rugby personalities there not all, but a big chunk of rugbyfans would rather watch that - and if you even manage to make it to a solidarity movement with hashtags and all that, it could be quite a big thing.

Good on you and respect, but that's not appaling to the big chunk of rugby fans. Only to the die-hard for following reasons.

I would rather watch the 6N game.
a) because the teams are most likely from the same country (GB)
b) you for certain know, that somebody you know is a supporter of one of the teams playing
c) you therefore don't want to miss out on the smalltalk the next week for some "obscure" game you know nobody from that country
d) teams play in the same competition.

You've got a point for a France vs. Italy match, but even there d) and maybe c) apply. And I am not sure about the French view on this topic.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Dude-Abides » Mon, 27 Feb 2017, 11:18

Armchair Fan wrote:Nice article about two Irishmen working for Georgia since last Summer:
http://www.the42.ie/georgia-irish-john- ... 7-Feb2017/

"... says the players he trains are “freak athletes,” with centres benching 140kg “for fun.” The famous Georgian props, meanwhile, are lifting “scary numbers.”

:) :)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Feb 2017, 17:21

I would even go as far as trying to avoid 6N games could be the key for the Rugby Europe Championship. It is probably better if a die-hard-rugby-fan will have the chance to see an additional game.

It is already happening. Two of the Championship rounds are in weekends without the 6N.

All 6N rounds (except round 4) have 2 matches on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. RE Championship should split in the opposite way: one match (in Eastern Europe, to use its different time zone as an advantage) on Saturday and 2 one Sunday would be an interesting approach.

But the fact that Premiershp/PRO12/Top 14 have some rounds clashing with the 6N/REC is also a problem. Maybe a deal to have all professional club rugby during 6N/REC played from Wednesday to Friday would help.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Sony D » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 13:39

http://1tv.ge/ge/videos/view/179679.html nice documentary about the Lelos

Can`t understand all becouse apparently it is in Georgian :)
But obviously it is about the Development of the Georgian Rugby Team to this day and the future.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 13:52

Sony D wrote:http://1tv.ge/ge/videos/view/179679.html nice documentary about the Lelos

Can`t understand all because apparently it is in Georgian :)
But obviously it is about the Development of the Georgian Rugby Team to this day and the future.

Name of that documentary is "მეშვიდე ერი" meaning tr: "Seventh Nation".
Georgia desperately needs PRO12 or Super Rugby franchisee for Future development. 1 club fully professional, playing in professional league.
If that happens i am sure Georgia can challenge T1 nations in 10 years.
Finances is needed!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Medgeorgia » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 17:01

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Medgeorgia » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 17:29

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby elyan » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 19:03

Sony D wrote:http://1tv.ge/ge/videos/view/179679.html nice documentary about the Lelos

they say the english version will soon also be available. the film is just about exposing the lelos from the insider perspective.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby ragbicoach » Thu, 02 Mar 2017, 15:49

Just saw the team for Spain and really please to see Soso Matiashvili get a call up and starting berth for his first cap. I've seen him play a few times and everything that is good in attack for Academia goes through him. really talented player. I hope this is the first of many caps, and that people outside Georgia get to see that it is not only talented forwards that you produce.

"Soso Matiashvili of Rugby Club Academia (Didi 10, Georgian Premiership), who is quite frequently selected for Georgia Sevens, will gain his first test cap for Georgia as he starts as right winger against Spain."

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Thu, 02 Mar 2017, 19:22

France U18 selected a georgian prop or hooker, Giorgi Beria from Clermont.
Probably native from Tbilisi but grown up in France
He is on the right :

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby Harry » Thu, 02 Mar 2017, 22:33

ragbicoach wrote:Just saw the team for Spain and really please to see Soso Matiashvili get a call up and starting berth for his first cap. I've seen him play a few times and everything that is good in attack for Academia goes through him. really talented player. I hope this is the first of many caps, and that people outside Georgia get to see that it is not only talented forwards that you produce.

"Soso Matiashvili of Rugby Club Academia (Didi 10, Georgian Premiership), who is quite frequently selected for Georgia Sevens, will gain his first test cap for Georgia as he starts as right winger against Spain."

Really excited to see him play. Sadly Svanidze and Koshadze aren't in the squad. I really expected Koshadze to play considering he got 3 tries in the last two games. Is he injured or something? Or to make sure he won't injure himself perhaps?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Fri, 03 Mar 2017, 13:05

Harry wrote:Really excited to see him play. Sadly Svanidze and Koshadze aren't in the squad. I really expected Koshadze to play considering he got 3 tries in the last two games. Is he injured or something? Or to make sure he won't injure himself perhaps?

Both are 100% ok. Milton choose not to put Koshadze in the squad, despite his excellent matches and 3 tries.

It would be better to put him in the squad and keep his high performance on the top. But im not a coach.

Milton decided to test Liparteliani on N13, so Koshadze is not in the squad.

There is no injuries at all in the team. Aprasidze, Alkhazashvili and Chkoidze have light injuries.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Fri, 03 Mar 2017, 23:37

Georgian under 18 squad for French tour.tranlation not the best,but can work it out.
A few names from last year. Saba Khutsilava,halfback or utility back. and prop from Montpellier luka Azariashvili.
Tedo Abzhandadze was in under 20s squad on Celtic tour.Lasha Lomidze is a promising 10-12 from youtube footage.Otar Dzagnidze centre whos father was Georgian national player.Cant tell you about anyone else.

Forwards: George Lebanidze (try), George Akhaladze (AIA), Luka Chelidze (Lelo), Irakli Metaplishvili (try), Soso Chkoidze (try), Saba kuratishvili (Old Bridge), Vano karkadze (AIA), Irodion Kutsnashvilis (Hooligana) Gia Kharaishvili (Khashuri), Zaur Tevdorashvili (AIA), Luke Gelashvili (leopard), Vladimir Chachanidze (Kochebi), Saba Jgharkava (try), Nick Tsivtsivadze (AIA), Rati Zhorzholiani (try), Beka qoriauli (try), John Iasaghashvili (Chokhosnebi), Gigi Leshkasheli (cathedral), Koba Kolotauri (try), Michael Chachava (leopard), David Gvidiani (Women), Luke Azariashvili (Montpellier, France will meet the team);

Line: Saba Khurtsilava (Old Bridge), Andro Akhvlediani (AIA), Michael Alania (Chokhosnebi), George Margalitaze (try), Tedo Abzhandadze (AIA), David Gobejishvili (cathedral), Revaz Karazishvili (Lokomotiv), Gocha Chanadiri (Old Bridge) Lasha Lomidze (AIA), Demur Tapladze (Lelo), Irakli Simsive (AIA), Otar Dzagnidze (AIA), Konstantin str (Chokhosnebi), Levan Narimanidze (Bulls), Teimuraz Chichinadze (Chokhosnebi), Giorgi Asatiani (try), George Chedia (Hooligana), Avtandil Bartholomew Kaladze (Chokhosnebi), Zurab Kavtaradze (Bulls).

Coaching Staff: David Tonoyan - Mt. Coach, Mr Sharvashidze - coach, Mikhail Sujashvili - Coach, Mr. Minister - coach, George Maisuradze - Phys. Coach training, Givi Nadareishvili - Phys. Coach training, Sergo Beriashvili - doctor, George Svanidze - physiotherapy, Malkhaz Davitashvili - psychologist, Zaza Lezhava - Rugby Academy head, Paata Maisuradze - Manager

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Medgeorgia » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 10:21

Georgian Rugby Anthem - "Anthem to FREEDOM" (ჰიმნი თავისუფლებას, Himni Tavisuphlebas)

მიდი, ლელო! (Midi, LELO)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 17:48

Kvirikashvili in the press conference after Spain v Georgia said he declines to talk about Six Nations and only wanted to state players are ready.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Fri, 10 Mar 2017, 21:11

elyan wrote:

they say the english version will soon also be available. the film is just about exposing the lelos from the insider perspective.

Subtitles are up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8V_uQuOXWo
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby elyan » Fri, 10 Mar 2017, 22:04

thanks fullback :)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 10 Mar 2017, 23:02

Really interesting documentary! Thanks for posting it.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 12:50

Tighthead prop Saba Meunargia from Connacht Academy (capped by Ireland U19), on loan for Doncaster in English second division until the end of the season
https://www.drfc.co.uk/news/article/iri ... ck-a-boost

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 21:35

So I had long thoughts about the documentary as I really enjoyed it and I am a fan of Georgian rugby anyway. (I even have a shirt and Georgia was my team for the RWC).

It actually shows how far behind Georgia is atm. Apart from the enthusiasm two scenes caught my eye. The Georgian team entering a bus after a game in Tiflis and the Scottish team arriving for the game.

Worlds in between. There's a structural and organizional deficit that is massive. On the one hand the Scots accompanied by a bataillon of bag-pipes and then Georgia entering a bus made in the 90ies with no signs whatsoever on it. To ever enter something like the 6N, there is a lot of structural work to be done.

It can be achieved, but a really a lot of work outside of the pitch.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 21:50

Apart from the enthusiasm two scenes caught my eye. The Georgian team entering a bus after a game in Tiflis and the Scottish team arriving for the game.

Worlds in between. There's a structural and organizional deficit that is massive. On the one hand the Scots accompanied by a bataillon of bag-pipes and then Georgia entering a bus made in the 90ies with no signs whatsoever on it.

I`m not sure what you mean by that. You didn`t like the bus? Of course Scotland is far ahead of Georgia, but Georgian NT has a modern base, modern training facilities and is enjoying their stay there no less than Scotland do on their own. Who cares about a bus. I'm not expert on buses, so I cannot say what year it is, but I'm sure it's not from the 90's.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum