Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Georgia (Lelos)

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Georgia (Lelos)

Postby fullbackace » Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 22:04

RugbyLiebe wrote:So I had long thoughts about the documentary as I really enjoyed it and I am a fan of Georgian rugby anyway. (I even have a shirt and Georgia was my team for the RWC).

It actually shows how far behind Georgia is atm. Apart from the enthusiasm two scenes caught my eye. The Georgian team entering a bus after a game in Tiflis and the Scottish team arriving for the game.

Worlds in between. There's a structural and organizional deficit that is massive. On the one hand the Scots accompanied by a bataillon of bag-pipes and then Georgia entering a bus made in the 90ies with no signs whatsoever on it. To ever enter something like the 6N, there is a lot of structural work to be done.

It can be achieved, but a really a lot of work outside of the pitch.

I think that was the bus departing to airport for Scotland, they left from the base and went to the airport. I actually think it's good if they don't get too much attention outside the games. Even Haig said, you can't think too much about the game and rugby when you're not playing or practicing. It will affect you negatively. So after the guys leave the field they should go back to being normal citizens.

Also if the whole Euro footy style of arriving and leaving stadiums with fans cheering etc is not a tradition in Georgia and I don't think it will be liked either. A bit too show-offy for Georgian culture. let alone being followed by a band which is a bit cringey.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 22:38

Maybe you both are right. It was just such a stark contrast, that it directly stuck in my head and even thought about it one day after I watched the video.

My idea was: that thing with the bag-pipers looks so easily arranged, but it isn't. It shows an extremely dedication and love for details, which than show on the pitch.
It is a signal for the Scottish players. Now Scotland is what counts.

But maybe I am just too German to see a different side :D
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 23:02

RugbyLiebe wrote:Maybe you both are right. It was just such a stark contrast, that it directly stuck in my head and even thought about it one day after I watched the video.

My idea was: that thing with the bag-pipers looks so easily arranged, but it isn't. It shows an extremely dedication and love for details, which than show on the pitch.

I know what you're saying, it's just Georgians despise that. We even dislike when band plays the anthems live. It was the Communists who always used to overdo it on their celebrations, "oh the party day we need lots of Bands and flags and cheering" and the day of Lenin's birth, and of his death, and we honor our dear communists before and after football games, red flags and party youth everywhere... so now that kind of stuff is just associated with imperial overlords and Georgians just despise it and consider it too much. There's even a phrase "ura patriotism" which means the people who overdo it on celebrations and patriotism. It's considered a sign of low intellect and lack of education. Although we're completely off topic now :D

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Dude-Abides » Sun, 12 Mar 2017, 10:32

RugbyLiebe wrote:So I had long thoughts about the documentary as I really enjoyed it and I am a fan of Georgian rugby anyway. (I even have a shirt and Georgia was my team for the RWC).

It actually shows how far behind Georgia is atm. Apart from the enthusiasm two scenes caught my eye. The Georgian team entering a bus after a game in Tiflis and the Scottish team arriving for the game.

Worlds in between. There's a structural and organizional deficit that is massive. On the one hand the Scots accompanied by a bataillon of bag-pipes and then Georgia entering a bus made in the 90ies with no signs whatsoever on it. To ever enter something like the 6N, there is a lot of structural work to be done.

It can be achieved, but a really a lot of work outside of the pitch.

Well, as far as I know our team traveled to Scotland on Regular flight (most probably on Lufthansa) that departs 03:30 in the morning and went to airport directly from training base in the outskirts of Tbilisi, so I would not expect any large cheering crowd :).

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 13:09

RugbyLiebe wrote:Maybe you both are right. It was just such a stark contrast, that it directly stuck in my head and even thought about it one day after I watched the video.

I'm sorry but I never read anything more stupid on the forum here. Usually RugbyLiebe posts make sense to me and are well informed. But flights from Tbilisi are at 4 or 5 in the morning. We are sorry that we haven't had dancing and singing Georgians in front of a bus driving to the airport at 3 a.m.

Otherwise there is nothing Georgia is lacking more than experience playing T1 teams. The pitches are good, the stadiums are ok and the base is growing and growing. We won against Tonga and played well against New Zealand without Sukhishvilebi dancing in the locker room. What matters is what is happening on the pitch and how often that thing happens against T1 nations.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 17:32

Bagpipes at buses didn't do Scotland much good at the weekend!

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 20:54

Really surprised to see some russian players listed in the Bagrati Kutaisi squad in Didi10.

- Alexey Golov (fly half or full back) : previously played for Kuban, Enisei and Metallurg. Also played for Russia U20.

- Roman Khodin (backrow) : played for Kuban and for Penza. Also U20 international

- Oleg Kobzev (centre or winger) : russian international (17 caps). Played for Kuban Krasnodar.

- Evgeny Nepeivoda (winger) : listed in Enisei Challenge Cup squad this season. Also played for Kuban. Russia 7's international.

Also georgian prop Mamuka Khechikovi who played for various russian teams (Spartak, Krasny Yar, Kuban and was listed this season in Enisei Challenge Cup squad)

Batumi also got few foreign players in his squad :

- Corne Nieuwenhuizen (lock) : south african born 1992. I think it's his 3d season in Georgia as he also played for Batumi and Jiki before returning with Batumi. He played the south african Varsity Cup for FNB UKZN

- Yohan Chamoulaud (scrumhalf) : french born 1994. His step-father is a former georgian international Badri Khekhelashvili. He also played for Dax U18 and Soyaux-Angoulême. He usually plays a season in Georgia and then a season in France before going back to Georgia.

- Takudzwa Chieza (centre) : zimbabwean player born 1993. Chieza played for Zimbabwe U20 and Zimbabwe 7's, played until last season in South Africa.

Are they playing often? Are they good? Are Chieza, Nepeydova and Golov faster than the georgian players?
Last edited by beber on Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 21:53

Chamoulaud detailed his experience in Le Rugbynistère:
http://www.lerugbynistere.fr/chroniques ... 161229.php

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 15:59

Thanks Armchair, I alreay read this interview :thumbup:

- Lasha Lomidze is rumoured to sign for London Irish

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Wendigo7 » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 22:16

http://pca.st/3UqN

Interview with Milton Haig leading up to Romania.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 22:26

Wendigo7 wrote:http://pca.st/3UqN

Interview with Milton Haig leading up to Romania.

Good job. Thank you for this.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby SHIZZZO » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 22:47

beber wrote:Really surprised to see some russian players listed in the Bagrati Kutaisi squad in Didi10.

- Alexey Golov (fly half or full back) : previously played for Kuban, Enisei and Metallurg. Also played for Russia U20.

- Roman Khodin (backrow) : played for Kuban and for Penza. Also U20 international

- Oleg Kobzev (centre or winger) : russian international (17 caps). Played for Kuban Krasnodar.

- Evgeny Nepeivoda (winger) : listed in Enisei Challenge Cup squad this season. Also played for Kuban. Russia 7's international.

Also georgian prop Mamuka Khechikovi who played for various russian teams (Spartak, Krasny Yar, Kuban and was listed this season in Enisei Challenge Cup squad)

Batumi also got few foreign players in his squad :

- Corne Nieuwenhuizen (lock) : south african born 1992. I think it's his 3d season in Georgia as he also played for Batumi and Jiki before returning with Batumi. He played the south african Varsity Cup for FNB UKZN

- Yohan Chamoulaud (scrumhalf) : french born 1994. His step-father is a former georgian international Badri Khekhelashvili. He also played for Dax U18 and Soyaux-Angoulême. He usually plays a season in Georgia and then a season in France before going back to Georgia.

- Takudzwa Chieza (centre) : zimbabwean player born 1993. Chieza played for Zimbabwe U20 and Zimbabwe 7's, played until last season in South Africa.

Are they playing often? Are they good? Are Chieza, Nepeydova and Golov faster than the georgian players?

The new president of Russian rugby (or on some other high position) is Georgian, former player himself from Kutaisi, there was an interview with him on one of the websites, he said he would bring Russians to play for Kutaisi to gain some experience. I guess this is the reason.
You are terminated!

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 17:47

SHIZZZO wrote:
The new president of Russian rugby (or on some other high position) is Georgian, former player himself from Kutaisi, there was an interview with him on one of the websites, he said he would bring Russians to play for Kutaisi to gain some experience. I guess this is the reason.

Thanks Shizzzo for these infos. Though, I think would have been better for Russia to send props instead of backs. Still an interesting experience for them, but I don't think the game in Didi10 is slower than RRPL.

About Georgia U20, last year they played against Argentina and Uruguay during the U20 6 Nations, not this year. Are they planing some tests matchs before U20 World Champ?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Wendigo7 » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 19:11

Whats the aim for the U20 tournament realistically?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Dude-Abides » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 19:52

beber wrote:
SHIZZZO wrote:

Thanks Shizzzo for these infos. Though, I think would have been better for Russia to send props instead of backs. Still an interesting experience for them, but I don't think the game in Didi10 is slower than RRPL.

About Georgia U20, last year they played against Argentina and Uruguay during the U20 6 Nations, not this year. Are they planing some tests matchs before U20 World Champ?

Georgia U20 will play 3 games against SA Western Province on April 29, May 3 & 6 here in TBS.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 22:00

Wendigo7 wrote:Whats the aim for the U20 tournament realistically?

IMO Georgia's goal should be to finish in the top 8, which would require winning a match against at least one of Argentina, France and South Africa. Expectation should be to finish top 10 (ahead of Samoa and Italy).

For the Georgians, how is this year's team looking? I know Aprasidze and Tabidze will be the best players as they have gained good senior experience with the senior Lelos. Modabadze and Spanderashvili looked pretty good last JWC too. Who else is looking good?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 22:36

Coloradoan wrote:

IMO Georgia's goal should be to finish in the top 8, which would require winning a match against at least one of Argentina, France and South Africa. Expectation should be to finish top 10 (ahead of Samoa and Italy).

For the Georgians, how is this year's team looking? I know Aprasidze and Tabidze will be the best players as they have gained good senior experience with the senior Lelos. Modabadze and Spanderashvili looked pretty good last JWC too. Who else is looking good?

I think Spanderashvili is injured and will miss the tournament, which is unfortunate. As for the others, you pretty much got all the "Stars".

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 23:07

fullbackace wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

I think Spanderashvili is injured and will miss the tournament, which is unfortunate. As for the others, you pretty much got all the "Stars".

That is unfortunate. I was more curious about players who might have strongly developed that weren't in the side last year, as can often happen at that age. Wasn't there a winger in the Toulon academy who missed out last year? Guess we will find out soon enough.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 03:29

actually it might be kveseladze who's injured. idk im not well educated about u20s. All i know is one of the star players is injured. Also we haven't had that much information come out about the preparation for RWC. It'll get more attention after REC is over.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 17:39

Coloradoan wrote:
fullbackace wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

That is unfortunate. I was more curious about players who might have strongly developed that weren't in the side last year, as can often happen at that age. Wasn't there a winger in the Toulon academy who missed out last year? Guess we will find out soon enough.

I think you mean Luka Yurin from Lyon academy?
If Spanderashvili can't play the tournament, it will be a big blow for Georgia.

There are some expectances .
1/ Georgia will play at home
2/ All these 2017 U20 players, born 1997, were the 2015 U18 who did draw against Ireland and Italy and reached the U18 European Championship final.

About Georgia U20 games, last November, that's balanced.
- Ulster Development XV 12-27 Georgia U20, Georgia scoring 5 tries. I think it's a decent result for them. Most of Ulster players were U20, U19 and U18 players including 3 current Ireland U20 players. But also U21 Greg Jones, which has shined the last U20 World Champ and skipped by U22 Alex Thompson who was regular starter for Ireland U20 in 2015.
Georgia line up (1-15) : Gogiashvili - Papidze - Dugladze ; Saginadze - Jimsheleishvili ; Nutsubidze - Mamamtavrishvili - Spanderashvili ; Aprasidze - Abzhandadze ; Meskhi - Gavashelishvili - S.Svanidze - Tabutsadze ; Modebadze

- Scotland U19 17-21 Georgia U20. Not a good result for Georgia IMO. Only 5 scottish players from this team played 2017 U20 6 Nations and Scotland is struggling, currently at the bottom of the table before playing Italy U20.
Georgia (1-15) : Gogichaishvii - L.Papidze - G.Papidze ; Saginadze - Jaiani ; Nutsubidze - Spanderashvili - Machaladze ; Aprasidze - Abzhanadze ; Meskhi - Tsiklauri - Gavashelishvili - Tabtsadze ; Modebadze (16-23) Zamtaradze - Jincharadze- Dugladze - Jimsheleishvili - Mamamtavrishvili ; Nakhutsrishvili - Mamukashvili - Svanidze
Georgia only converted 1 of their 8 tries in this tour :shock:

Few players missed that tour : Tabidze (prop, Bordeaux); Gogoladze (centre, Montpellier); Cheishvili (prop, Montpellier); Shatirishvili (prop, La Rochelle) and injured Kveseladze (centre, Lelo) and Miminoshvili (winger, Batumi)

About the squad :
- The whole forwards pack but Tabidze and Spanderashvili (who seem to be injured) will be renewed.
Mataradze, Giorgadze, Koshadze, Tsutskiridze and Gorgadze will miss a lot. Melikidze a bit less with Tabidze named best tighthead of the last U20 World Championship.
I'm not worried by the front row. Cheishvili is a regular starter for Montpellier espoirs. Tabidze will be there at tighthead. Behind him, underaged Shatrishvili is a monster. I remember him last U18 European Championship, him and eightman Machaladze were really beasts.
I'm a bit less confident for the locks. Jaiani from Exeter University have to gain few kilos to be competitive at lock or he will have to play flanker. Saginadze looked good last two U18 European Championship but it will be another level.
I don't know the backrow, except of Spanderashvili, and Machaladze who reminds me Otar Giorgadze. It will be hard to forget Tsutskiridze - Gorgadze and Giorgadze.

- Halfbacks : Aprasidze will be one of the stars . But he is does not have the level that Lobzhanidze had last year. Modzgvrishvili was already in the squad last year.

- Backs : Most of the squad will be there. The absence of Koshadze will be noticed nevertheless. Svanidze too. I hope that Gogoladze will have made a lot of progress at Montpellier and I hope that Kveseladze will be fit. Modebadze will be one of the leaders in the backs.
Last edited by beber on Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 17:59

Good analysis! Altough I would like to note something about the Scotland game. Georgia led 0-21 in the first half, but we got 2 yellow cards in the second half plus the whole game the scrum was uncontested!
I dont know anything about Spanderashvili, but kveseladze had a knee operation and might miss the JWRC.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 18:03

Thanks. That's a lot of good info.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 20:34

In a meantime Georgia U18 beat Montpellier Beziers combined U18 team 33-17 in preparation game for U18 European championships.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 23:06

Great result!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 12:37

I'm thinking about a new coach after 2019. I believe that Haig is a great coach and he helped Georgia going forward but after the RWC 19 we will need a top coach with fresh ideas and someone who can propel Georgia in the Top10. Here are some ideas.

(1) Ewan McKenzie: A great great coach who was treated so bad by the ARU and his players. He is a class act and would be my no1 choice for the role. With Graham allready coached Reds and Georgia maybe he can help out here.

(2) Nick Mallett: What a coach! Great guy. Would be wonderful. Talks a bit too much but is passionate, loves the forward-based game and would bring huge experience. With the right enviroment and the chance to play against T1 opposition more often (and the right amount of money) he might even think about it.

(3) Robbie Deans: I really like him. Now I know there are many critics of him out there but I think he was mistreated by the Aussies as was McKenzie.

(4) John Kirwan: Kiwi, knows Haig and would bring continuity for the team.

(5) Some ITM-Cup coach or South African. I would love to see a good South African coach for Georgia.

So you understand: I'm just dreaming a bit here of course. But McKenzie is a real possibility I believe.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum