Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Georgia (Lelos)

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Georgia (Lelos)

Postby BigG » Sat, 16 Nov 2019, 11:44

GeoRugby wrote:
BigG wrote:Today Brive defeated Racing Paris 20-8 in away game. All points are made by Georgians: Itar Giorgadze try, Vasil Lobzhanidze try, Tedo Abzhandadze 2 penalties and 2 convs.

Not Racing but Stade Francais. Good debut for Tedo.

Yes, indeed

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sat, 16 Nov 2019, 17:51

victorsra wrote:
GeoRugby wrote:
carbonero wrote:January 17 > Jaguares vs. Georgia in Mar del Plata

Great warmup game for Georgia before REC campaign begins. I wonder what kind of team they send.

I guess without Top14/Premiership players. No club will let players go in the Champions Cup/Challenge Cup groups final round, unless it is already eliminated.

A good test for those players though.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sat, 16 Nov 2019, 18:14

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:
GeoRugby wrote:

Great warmup game for Georgia before REC campaign begins. I wonder what kind of team they send.

I guess without Top14/Premiership players. No club will let players go in the Champions Cup/Challenge Cup groups final round, unless it is already eliminated.

On GRU website it is written that in addition to local players, some foreign based players will travel as well.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby LukasMc » Sat, 16 Nov 2019, 23:54

GeoRugby wrote:
Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:
GeoRugby wrote:

On GRU website it is written that in addition to local players, some foreign based players will travel as well.

It's the "XV" team so I'm thinking it'll be a similar squad to the team that played England counties earlier this year. With maybe some overseas fringe players.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 18 Nov 2019, 17:01

LukasMc wrote:
BigG wrote:Tomorrow Brive plays in Paris vs. Racing (Challenge Cup). Look how many Georgians are in the squad.
Brive: 15 Rory Scholes, 14 Setareki Bituniyata, 13 Guillaume Galletier, 12 Alex Dunbar, 11 Guillaume Namy, 10 Tedo Abzhandadze, 9. Vasil Lobzhanidze, 8 Otari Giorgadze, 7 Matthieu Voisin (c), 6 Steevy Cerqueira, 5 Victor Lebas, 4 Jan Uys, 3 James Johnston, 2 Péniami Narisia, 1 Hayden Thompson-Stringer
Replacements: 16 Vano Karkadze, 17 Karlen Asieshvili, 18 Luka Japaridze, 19 Richard Fourcade, 20 So’otala Fa’aso’o, 21 Quentin Delord, 22 Enzo Herve, 23 Sevanaia Galala

Good to see Tedo graduate from the espoirs team. Also watch out for impressive Luka Japaridze, he was along side Guram Gogichashvili in the u20 side and IMO Luka was a better player. One for the future

He doesn't exactly "graduate from the espoirs team". Brive doesn't care about Challenge Cup, so the team is mostly espoirs team with third string players and one/two more experienced players to help them.
Anyway, that's good opportunity to show their skills, but that's not really some graduation. That's quite classic for worst Top 14 sides to use their best espoirs players for this competition.

National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Postby ZUKER » Mon, 18 Nov 2019, 19:54

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby LukasMc » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 09:27

The u19 squad named to play two games (at home) against South Africa.
Good looking squad. I really like the look of Zurab Kavtaradze, big body with good pace, impressed me at last year's u20 WC. Also Lasha Lomidze, Ioane Iashagashvili, Sandro Margiani, Temur Chichinadze, DavidGobejishvili and Deme Tapladze ones to watch. Look a bit light at 10, Margiani has talent just needs to grow a bit more.

site.rugby.ge/en/news-view/?newsid=7626&callerModID=17363&Title=$TitleUrl$

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 13:37

Georgia will play South Africa in July. A bit disappointing that it's in South Africa and not Tbilisi given they were supposed to host Tier 1s in mid-season tests
https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/1 ... 69984?s=19

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 14:27

Armchair Fan wrote:Georgia will play South Africa in July. A bit disappointing that it's in South Africa and not Tbilisi given they were supposed to host Tier 1s in mid-season tests
https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/1 ... 69984?s=19

Game against world champions in Tbilisi would be truly something special, but still great fixture for Georgia, even if its an away one.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 15:29

Yes, still a great fixture. They’ve only ever played each other once the 2003 RWC. South Africa won that match 46-19, hopefully the scoreline can be closer this time around.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 16:24

Maybe the Springboks can tour to Tbilisi in November. So far the only fixture confirmed is against Ireland on the 14th, however I think they will likely play against France and Wales.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 20:00

Things have become a little ridiculous on here if we are not only delighted Georgia have got a game at all against the World Cup winners.

Southern Hemisphere countries play at home during the July international series, we can’t expect them to travel to Georgia just to play one match. In saying that I hope Georgia get games against Namibia and a super rugby team while in Africa.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 20:14

In saying that I hope Georgia get games against Namibia and a super rugby team while in Africa.

Fairly decent chance of both happening Id say.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 20:31

tryman wrote:Things have become a little ridiculous on here if we are not only delighted Georgia have got a game at all against the World Cup winners.

Southern Hemisphere countries play at home during the July international series, we can’t expect them to travel to Georgia just to play one match. In saying that I hope Georgia get games against Namibia and a super rugby team while in Africa.

No, things haven't become ridiculous. It's great news but I'm surprised it doesn't comply with what was stated when San Francisco agreement was unveiled. It clearly said Georgia and Romania were going to host Tier 1 teams in July.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 21:10

Not every year though. The BBC reported last month that Scotland will visit them in 2021. I’m afraid that might be the only Tier 1 home test they’ll get in this world cup cycle (at least within the international windows).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 21:17

Well, the BBC reported a tournament involving Georgia, Romania, Scotland and Japan somewhere in Europe, it didn't even say it was going to be played in Georgia.

Given Georgia already has been playing a T1 per window for the last few years, if their home test matches don't increase I don't see the improvement deriving from SF agreement.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 21:26

I don’t see it either although playing South Africa helps. I’m just pointing out that having home T1 test every year was not part of the deal.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby LukasMc » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 10:32

Great news!!
18th of July 2020 Georgia are off to South Africa to play a test.
Great to test ourselves against the world champs.

National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Postby ZUKER » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 11:47

Still no news/rumors about new Head Coach for Lelos? Or long list at least....

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 15:17

LukasMc wrote:Great news!!
18th of July 2020 Georgia are off to South Africa to play a test.
Great to test ourselves against the world champs.

That certainly is great news! Begs the question, of course, why South Africa don't play regular tests with neighbors Namibia. They only beat them 57-3 at the World Cup. Not exactly a humiliation given they themselves once lost to New Zealand 57-0. In fact, make it an annual pre-season game and play it in Windhoek. Great way to blow out the cobwebs.

It also begs the question why France and England can't get across to play a test in Tbilisi. They'd be sure to pack the stadium. Every tier 1 team should be ogliged to include at least one fixture against a tier 2 or 3 team on their annual schedules. For the meantime the gauntlet has been thrown down to NZ, Austrlia, England, France & co.

From what I can see this will be SA's only test against a non-tier 1 side since the 2015 World Cup, apart from this year's RWC & warm-up against Japan. Outside of this years RWC, NZ, Australia, England & France have only played three second tier teams each since the 2015 RWC, all involving Japan and the Pacific Islands. France, of course, lost to Fiji and drew with Japan; both games at home!

So this will be the first time one of the Big 5 plays a non-first tier team outside of Japan and the Islands in recent years. It's a mammoth task for Georgia, travelling to SA to take on the recently crowned World Champions, but a great opportunity to test themselves against the best, which is the only way they're going to improve.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby LukasMc » Sun, 24 Nov 2019, 03:06

ZUKER wrote:Still no news/rumors about new Head Coach for Lelos? Or long list at least....

When I heard Conor O'Shea was leaving Italy I thought, and hoped, he was going to be named new head coach...
Very surprised there isn't at least a list, but they are having Lelos presidential elections next year, so maybe they'll wait until the new president

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 24 Nov 2019, 10:58

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby LukasMc » Sun, 24 Nov 2019, 12:25

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:VLAD blowing in Kutaisi

http://files.rugby.ge/oqmi/DATO/2019_11 ... IA-JIK.htm

:::

Where did you find that link please :-)

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 25 Nov 2019, 10:18

My son is in charge of organizing those live game-sheets

http://site.rugby.ge/ka-GE/home/ >> rightmost column

:::

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby LukasMc » Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 08:05

Does anyone know of "Revaz Brodzeli"? A 25 year old Georgian flyhalf playing in Russia. Seeing we will have a few flyhalves retire soon I wonder if he's on the radar.
At the moment I can only see Tedo, Revaz Jinchvelashvili and Davit Gobejishvili being at the next WC.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum