17%
No, but in the top 10
35%

Total votes : 23
National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Jonah Turns 40 - was he the Greatest?

Postby Rowan » Thu, 14 May 2015, 08:56

I've seen the likes of Campo, Blanco, Gerber, Kirwan, Porta, Rob Louw, Zinny, Michael Jones, Martin Johnson and Sean Fitzpatrick, and even vaguely recall such legends as Mark Ella, Bryan Williams and Andy Irvine from my childhood. But no player made quite so massive an impression on the international rugby landscape as giant teenager Jonah Lomu at the 95 Rugby World Cup. Rugby's first global super star, he probably did more to raise the game's international profile than any other individual. Was he The Greatest? Happy 40th to the Big Feller . . .

If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Jonah Turns 40 - was he the Greatest?

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 14 May 2015, 11:38

The biggest impact? Yes. The biggest name still? Possibly. Great? Yes. Greatest? No.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:32

It's a shame about his illness because he was only there for a relatively short time. Fortunate that he survived though. It was touch & go for a while, before Grant Kereama (an old acquaintance of mine) came to the rescue. I'll never forget going down to Athletic Park one time to watch Counties play Wellington in the NPC. It looked like they'd stuck a couple of locks out on the wing by accident with Joeli Vidiri and Lomu standing there; a couple of veritable giants! Anyway, Campese would probably take the accolade of 'Greatest' in the context of his entire career - at least, during the four decades or so that I've been following the game.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:47

It might be purist, but I don't like the idea of the best rugby player ever... how to compare a prop with a fly-half or a player from the 50s? with a player from the professional 2000s?

Lomu greatness is a product of professionalism and global TV. He was of course awesome, the moment and circunstances helped.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 14 May 2015, 16:38

We know Lomu's defence wasn't the best, I mean you wouldn't want to try and run through him but make him turn and chase...

He made some super tries of course for himself and others but Julian Savea might even be the better winger.

Smashing bloke though :thumbup:

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 15 May 2015, 15:46

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:24

Horsehead wrote:The biggest impact? Yes. The biggest name still? Possibly. Great? Yes. Greatest? No.

Couldn't have said it better. Michael Jones - revolutionised open-side flanker play. Still the best for me (and I was an outside back). Conrad Smith my favourite back. The ABs wouldn't have been as efficient in the backs the last 7-8 years without him IMO and they wouldn't have scored as many tries either. Conversely Julian Savea is one of the most over-rated players in the AB team and world rugby. Certainly scores a fair few tries but I don't think he is as damaging a runner as Jonah overall (we see occasional sightings but not on a consistent basis) and if Jonah's D wasn't great, J Savea's is a good deal worse. He is one of the worst defenders in the game at the moment. Colin Slade brushed him off no probs a couple of weeks ago. Watch a few Canes games and see how how many tackles he misses and not just misses but feebly misses! For such a big guy I can't understand why he is so feeble on D. His bro Ardie is a better, more rugged player, and with good pace himself. IMHO Ardie deserves to be in the ABs RWC squad a whole lot more than Julian.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 18 May 2015, 23:14

Aside from his unhappy debut as a teenager against the 94 French (still the only European nation ever to have won a test series in NZ), I don't recall Lomu's defence as being particularly weak - at least, not by general wingers' standards. Campo, Kirwan and co. weren't exactly tackling machines either. No disrespect intended, some valid points have been made here, but I do think there is a tendancy to exaggerate Jonah's weaknesses when he more than made up for them with his unparalleled strengths. It reminds me a little of Tyson in his prime. He was just so damned good that people refused to believe it, preferring to find fault rather simply accept that he had blown apart many of the preconceptions they'd had about the sport.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Thu, 11 Jun 2015, 07:36

Yes Jonah was great, but he didnt have the combination of athleticism and craftsmanship of the game like Michael Jones.

Just to continue the age theme, Michael Jones recently turned 50.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 18 Jun 2015, 08:04

20 years ago today :!: Was this the greatest individual performance ever in a major test match?

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Fri, 19 Jun 2015, 07:25

We all know Dan Carter is the greatest

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 11:06

Certainly in his own way he was - the biggest, quickest, tackle-breaking machine the game has ever witnessed. RIP the Tongan giant.

Return to Rugby Forum