Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

Postby Tobar » Mon, 25 Jun 2018, 13:49

Only 24 days left until the Central American and Caribbean Games in Barranquilla, Colombia. Rugby will be played on August 1st and 2nd so teams like Jamaica and Mexico can participate in the RWC Sevens as well as this tournament and I imagine of them win. The matches will be played at the newly renovated 3000 seater Estadio Moderno Julio Torres. I will be there for the last week of the tournament and definitely going to watch some rugby. I managed to get a press pass through my BIL so will be taking pics and possibly interviewing anyone who speaks English.

Here is the page in English: http://barranquilla2018.com/en/

And here are the 50 participating countries (primarily Caribbean island countries): http://barranquilla2018.com/en/paises/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 07:28

Honduras released a list of players training for the SAR C. The coach is the honorary british consul in Roatan, grown up playing rugby in South Africa. It will be their "full" debut, I suppose: their only recorded match is a 2015 loss with Guatemala A

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 04 Jul 2018, 21:16

The duel with Cayman, a sort of continental final, will be not so easy for Usa South: the Cayman are going to field a fijian as first centre and a Stringer as scrumhalf! :)

Cayman Rugby names FFP Cayman Men’s National XV Squad to face USA South
This game will take place Saturday 7th July, 1pm at Old White Rugby Facility Atlanta, GA.
FFP Cayman Men’s National XV Squad - USA South v Cayman Islands

​​​​​​​1.Dan Florek
2.Conor Brady*
3.Jonny Gibson
4.Shane Cusack
5.Jeffrey Robinson
6.Barry John Goude*
7.Shane Westin
8.Chris Kennedy (Capt)
9.Dave Stringer
10.Morgan Shelver
11.Darien Montague
12.Venasio Tokatokavanua
13.Mikey Wilson
14.Ian Smith
15.Killian Everard

16.Andy Hall
17.Jordan Southway
18.Pete DeVere
19.Dylan Bostock
20.Ben Blair
21.Cameron Bridgeman*
22.Phil Parker
23.Alex Pineau

HeadCoach - Garry Soothsay

(* uncapped player)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 00:36

USA south 42 14 Cayman islands

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 03:54

RAN championship must be re-thought, even if I don't know in which way. A tournament without Canada, with USA fielding a regional selection, without the other-best-teams Mexico and Guyana, with the candidate winner T&Tobago forfeiting due to lack of funds, has not the stigmata of a continental championship. The match between Usa South and Cayman was a sort of final for the title but it was not televised nor (as far as I know) web streamed and it's even hard to find photos of the game, several hours after its end.
The european championship (from 6N to REC Development) is composed by 88 matches; the northamerican one (championship, cup and trophy) by 8 matches

Final standing
1 Usa South
2 Cayman
3 Bermuda
4 Jamaica
5 Barbados
6 Gudaeloupe
7 Dominican Rep
8 Curacao

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 14:49

I feel like having Canada and the USA compete with the likes of Cayman Islands would be futile. I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to include CRC teams (for Canada) and GU rep teams (for the US).

At the same time, I hate the idea of having sub-national teams in a continental championship...

I'd love for the Central American teams to join RAN.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 03:01

Nothing is clear until we understand how the Americas Challenge will work. Guyana and Mexico will play it - how promotion/relegation will operate?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 03:55

grande wrote:I feel like having Canada and the USA compete with the likes of Cayman Islands would be futile. I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to include CRC teams (for Canada) and GU rep teams (for the US).

At the same time, I hate the idea of having sub-national teams in a continental championship...

USA South is a Geographic Union rep side, it's not even the Eagles Selects. To be honest I'm unsure that you would classify them as even a 3rd tier side if it were in the national set up here, especially now with MLR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 13:37

TheStroBro wrote:
grande wrote:I feel like having Canada and the USA compete with the likes of Cayman Islands would be futile. I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to include CRC teams (for Canada) and GU rep teams (for the US).

USA South is a Geographic Union rep side, it's not even the Eagles Selects. To be honest I'm unsure that you would classify them as even a 3rd tier side if it were in the national set up here, especially now with MLR.

Yep, I'm aware. I was (kinda/sorta) suggesting adding more GU rep sides to the tournament.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 17:04

victorsra wrote:Nothing is clear until we understand how the Americas Challenge will work. Guyana and Mexico will play it - how promotion/relegation will operate?

Clearly what will happen is Colombia will be promoted and Brazil relegated ;)

In all seriousness though, I would like to see the winner of the ARC B (Challenge, calling it B because they're both ARC) play a 1 or 2 game playoff against the loser of the ARC A in November or February (if the ARC A is moved). I do not want to see an automatic promotion just based off winning the ARC B - if this is case then the ARC B winner could just have gotten lucky playing against a very weak ARC B and could be just have a revolving door of ARC B to A and back again every year. This also gives an extra 2 guaranteed test matches for 2 lower tiered teams who most definitely do not get this opportunity. If there is no playoff then I would rather see this happen every 2 years and allow for aggregate score over those years.

So if Paraguay wins the ARC B and Chile loses the ARC A, then they would square off for a match or two to see who gets to be in the ARC A. AFAIK, neither team consistently have November test matches so this would be a very welcome addition no matter who wins. I don't think Paraguay is better than Chile nor do I think they would contend very well in the ARC A so an automatic promotion would just result in them getting smacked and Chile owning the ARC B. Sure it'd be good experience for some of the teams involved but I'd rather see top notch competition.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 18:24

USA South Women win RAN 10s. 19-12 over Jamaica. Men U19s is tomorrow, USA South has a chance for a full sweep.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 18:25

In all seriousness though, I would like to see the winner of the ARC B (Challenge, calling it B because they're both ARC) play a 1 or 2 game playoff against the loser of the ARC A in November or February (if the ARC A is moved). I do not want to see an automatic promotion just based off winning the ARC B - if this is case then the ARC B winner could just have gotten lucky playing against a very weak ARC B and could be just have a revolving door of ARC B to A and back again every year. This also gives an extra 2 guaranteed test matches for 2 lower tiered teams who most definitely do not get this opportunity. If there is no playoff then I would rather see this happen every 2 years and allow for aggregate score over those years.

I would like to see a 4 teams tournament maybe with 2 bottom ARC and 2 best ARC B teams
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 14 Jul 2018, 21:22

Los Serpientes U19s 46-15 USA South. Great crowd on the home side of the stand...maybe RAN can shift their filming angles next time?

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum