Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

Postby grande » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 23:53

With the NACRA Championship coming up, I thought I'd start a NACRA/Americas thread.

To start, here are some photos from Mexico's 59-9 victory over Bermuda: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 501&type=1

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

Postby martin.dunham » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 00:44

Defending NACRA champion USA South a week ago played the Life University men's senior side (widely considered to be one of the Top 2 or 3 sides in the country), USA South went down 50-8 (twitter scores add to 52-8) over three periods. USA South hadn't practice but only a couple of hours, so in that sense it's a tough score to gauge.

http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2014 ... early.html
Twitter: @BoomBoomDunham
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 06:49

According to IRB ranking, Bermuda are the second power of the region, slightly after Trinidad&Tobago. Let's say they are the third power after Usa South (not included in IRB rank) and T&T. Defeating them with a +50 victory, Mexico appears as a possible winner of the Nacra Championship. Probably not this year because I think that the championship is divided in two categories and they are in the bottom one, but from next year Mexico could be the favorite of the tournament. A Usa South v Mexico final would be quite fascinating

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 13:47

Canalina wrote:According to IRB ranking, Bermuda are the second power of the region, slightly after Trinidad&Tobago. Let's say they are the third power after Usa South (not included in IRB rank) and T&T. Defeating them with a +50 victory, Mexico appears as a possible winner of the Nacra Championship. Probably not this year because I think that the championship is divided in two categories and they are in the bottom one, but from next year Mexico could be the favorite of the tournament. A Usa South v Mexico final would be quite fascinating

They're undoubtedly still a long way off, but a much improved Mexico is in the best interests of American and Canadian rugby, in addition to general fans of Tier 2 and 3 rugby.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 14:25

Coloradoan wrote:
Canalina wrote:According to IRB ranking, Bermuda are the second power of the region, slightly after Trinidad&Tobago. Let's say they are the third power after Usa South (not included in IRB rank) and T&T. Defeating them with a +50 victory, Mexico appears as a possible winner of the Nacra Championship. Probably not this year because I think that the championship is divided in two categories and they are in the bottom one, but from next year Mexico could be the favorite of the tournament. A Usa South v Mexico final would be quite fascinating

They're undoubtedly still a long way off, but a much improved Mexico is in the best interests of American and Canadian rugby, in addition to general fans of Tier 2 and 3 rugby.

And like in Colombia, playing numbers are rising in Mexico. It could be huge with the good coaches.

National Flag:

Postby martin.dunham » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 15:42

Mexico is an interesting case. They play in Mexico City where the altitude no doubt plays a huge factor, especially at the amateur level. Just look a couple of years ago at their RWC qualifier results: they opened up by beating Jamaica 68-14 in Mexico City but then traveled to the Cayman Islands and lost 46-13, while Cayman lost in Jamaica by 1. Point being, if Mexico traveled to Bermuda I don't think they win by this margin, as a matter of fact I think Bermuda would win it. NACRA is such a unique and unpredictable region where it seemingly "home field advantage" is magnified and even more of a factor. I would wait for Mexico to prove their team over a whole season or two before I deem them the next great hope of American rugby.
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 10:08

Mexico 56, Bermuda 9 in Huixquilucan (Friendly)

Bermuda
Penalties : Rich Cumbers (2), Tommy Edwards

Mexico
Tries : Damian Arias (2), Christian Henning (2), Pascal Nadaud, Erik Castillo, Lucas Barbieri and Fernando Herrejon.
Miguel Carner : 1 Drop Goal, 1 Pen, 5 Conv

Tanks to Mexico & Bermuda Facebook pages

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 16:54

martin.dunham wrote:Mexico is an interesting case. They play in Mexico City where the altitude no doubt plays a huge factor, especially at the amateur level. Just look a couple of years ago at their RWC qualifier results: they opened up by beating Jamaica 68-14 in Mexico City but then traveled to the Cayman Islands and lost 46-13, while Cayman lost in Jamaica by 1. Point being, if Mexico traveled to Bermuda I don't think they win by this margin, as a matter of fact I think Bermuda would win it. NACRA is such a unique and unpredictable region where it seemingly "home field advantage" is magnified and even more of a factor. I would wait for Mexico to prove their team over a whole season or two before I deem them the next great hope of American rugby.

This is actually not uncommon in Tier 3 rugby anywhere in the world as player availability for away matches can be spotty at best at that level. I'd be a bit cautious about attaching too much importance to Mexico City's altitude though. How many players play for Mexico City clubs or at significant altitude? Anyone coming in the week of the match from sea level wouldn't be getting any benefit.

National Flag:

Postby martin.dunham » Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 21:44

There's I think 40 clubs or so in the country, and looking at the website it looks like 15 men's clubs are located within Mexico City. Quick count based on extended 32 man roster released before the Bermuda match, 12 players from 6 clubs play in Mexico City (7900 ft estimate), 1 in Celaya (5700 ft), 4 in Guadalajara (5000 ft), 10 in Naucalpan for Blackthunder (7500 ft). That's 27 that play at at least 5000 ft (based on quick google search of elevation). Of the other 5, 4 play in Monterrey (1700 ft) and 1 for Boston (don't know if it's Boston, MA or a Mexican Boston).
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 11:55

I created a wiki page for the 2014 NACRA Championship.

Let me know if there's anything obviously wrong. I still need to add tables to the different divisions, as well as placeholders for the Pro/Rel and Championship matches.

National Flag:

Postby martin.dunham » Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:39

grande, here's the NACRA Championship format uploaded on the USA South team site: http://www.usarugbysouthpanthers.com/up ... rmat-1.pdf
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby JTV84 » Fri, 02 May 2014, 09:43

Ok guys, I will bring a bit of information about the mexican rugby championship. In the country there's two levels of competition, 1st force and 2nd force (we could say that 40-50% of the 2nd force are B sides of some teams in the top championship).

The 1st Force has 24 teams divided in a quite complicated system. The 1st round is regional divided in geographical tournaments:
Mexico City and surroundings integrates 8 teams.
The midwest is divided in two 4 teams groups.
The north in two groups, 3 and 2 teams.
The south has 3 teams.

After this round the best teams will go to the national round robin, 10 teams in 2 groups and after the 4 rounds the top of each group will face in the final to decide the championship. For the finalists represents a 18 game season, so not bad for a amateur tournament.

Till the season 2012-13 there was a main sponsor but i think in the last one they didn't renew the contract and left the full economic responsability to the federation. If there's already Super Rugby on TV why not our national tournament :D

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 02 May 2014, 09:45

JTV84 wrote:Ok guys, I will bring a bit of information about the mexican rugby championship. In the country there's two levels of competition, 1st force and 2nd force (we could say that 40-50% of the 2nd force are B sides of some teams in the top championship).

The 1st Force has 24 teams divided in a quite complicated system. The 1st round is regional divided in geographical tournaments:
Mexico City and surroundings integrates 8 teams.
The midwest is divided in two 4 teams groups.
The north in two groups, 3 and 2 teams.
The south has 3 teams.

After this round the best teams will go to the national round robin, 10 teams in 2 groups and after the 4 rounds the top of each group will face in the final to decide the championship. For the finalists represents a 18 game season, so not bad for a amateur tournament.

Till the season 2012-13 there was a main sponsor but i think in the last one they didn't renew the contract and left the full economic responsability to the federation. If there's already Super Rugby on TV why not our national tournament :D

Are you Mexican?

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby JTV84 » Fri, 02 May 2014, 11:00

iul wrote:Are you Mexican?

yes I am, not living in the country but i try to follow the best way rugby in the country.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 02 May 2014, 11:04

JTV84 wrote:
iul wrote:Are you Mexican?

yes I am, not living in the country but i try to follow the best way rugby in the country.

OK, pick the Mexican flag then :)(User Control Panel > Profile). Also, could you please do THIS about Mexican rugby? Thanks.

Postby 4N » Fri, 02 May 2014, 11:27

martin.dunham wrote:There's I think 40 clubs or so in the country, and looking at the website it looks like 15 men's clubs are located within Mexico City. Quick count based on extended 32 man roster released before the Bermuda match, 12 players from 6 clubs play in Mexico City (7900 ft estimate), 1 in Celaya (5700 ft), 4 in Guadalajara (5000 ft), 10 in Naucalpan for Blackthunder (7500 ft). That's 27 that play at at least 5000 ft (based on quick google search of elevation). Of the other 5, 4 play in Monterrey (1700 ft) and 1 for Boston (don't know if it's Boston, MA or a Mexican Boston).

LOL... it's Boston, MA

Mexico aren't unique, most of the Colombian team play at high altitude. It's an advantage but not a massive one. And a few African cities are at c1500m altitude, including Nairobi, Windhoek and Harare.

National Flag:

Postby martin.dunham » Fri, 02 May 2014, 16:07

4N wrote:LOL... it's Boston, MA

Mexico aren't unique, most of the Colombian team play at high altitude. It's an advantage but not a massive one. And a few African cities are at c1500m altitude, including Nairobi, Windhoek and Harare.

I'm saying the advantage is there for them when playing at their place, not when they come down. It definitely has an effect if you are not used to/have never played in that high of air. It catches up to you eventually!

As for the Boston, yes it is the Boston only 5 minutes from me. The thing is, the player in question (Marcos Flegman) is not someone I've heard in 15s for Boston RFC. Boston is an elite rugby club in the US, certainly would've heard his name at some point in 15s through a team sheet or something. He might have played 7s, where the faces change every year due to college talent playing summer 7s as well as other floating around. And Boston RFC is not a strong 7s program at the moment...based off a quick google search, it looks like he's a rugby league guy here in Boston. I'm not really familiar with that team, different league and frankly you never hear about them.
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Sat, 03 May 2014, 12:36

The Cayman national men’s XV starts its 2014 international series with a test match against Bahamas in Freeport this weekend.
With a number of Caymanian youngsters in the ranks who have graduated from the successful Under-19s program, Director of Rugby Richard Adams hopes to see their progress into the full international men’s division. Players like Garrett Connolly, Joel Clark, Alex Pineau, Ed Westin, Paul Westin and Ribbie Cribb Jr. have come up from junior level.
Cayman then face Bermuda on Jun. 7 in Hamilton and USA South on Jun. 14 at the Truman Bodden Sports Complex in their pool matches for Division 1 of the NACRA North region for the Caribbean Championships with the winner going on to face the top team in the Caribbean South Region to contest the NACRA 2014 Caribbean Championships.

Cayman squad
Forwards: Richard Adams, Ben Blair, Dan Bond, Peter De Vere, Phil Fourie, Chris Kennedy (capt.), Jacob MacAdam, Yohann Regnard, Jason Scarff, Paul Smith, Mark Soto, Eddie Westin, Paul Westin.
Backs: Josh Brown, Garrett Conolly, Robbie Cribb Jr., Marco Du Plessis, Adam Keenan, Chris Palmer, Cueme Parker, Alex Pineau, Michael Sumares, Keswick Wright.
Management: Stuart Geddes, Paul Parker.

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass ... -campaign/

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sun, 04 May 2014, 08:38

Bahamas 7-35 Cayman Islands
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Mon, 05 May 2014, 10:46

Bahamas 7-35 Cayman Islands
Cayman scorers : 3 tries from Edward Westin and I from Robbie Cribb Jr ; 5th try by CK (Chris Kennedy ?). All conversions good .....
Thanks to Cayman Rugby TV facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/caymanrugbytv

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby JTV84 » Tue, 06 May 2014, 09:29

iul wrote:Also, could you please do THIS about Mexican rugby? Thanks.

sure i can, just give me some time.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Thu, 08 May 2014, 13:30

Interesting; NACRA has greatly improved its site and devoted a special page in the NACRA Senior Men's Competition :
http://www.nacrugby.com/2014-nacra-men.html

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:08

Hopefully they continue like this. Their site has been awful in the past (not even mentioning many tournaments). I guess we'll see what they do for the 7's and women's tournaments.

National Flag:

Postby martin.dunham » Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:50

Let's hope they update it, NACRA has left its website with old info up there for ages.
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Fri, 09 May 2014, 14:09

USA South v Bermuda in Marietta, GA (NACRA Division 1; North)

Bermuda’s squad:
Backs: Tom Healy, Tommy Edwards, Neville Zuill, Paull Davis, Rich Cumbers, Corey Boyce, Dan Cole, Bongani Ndlovu, Paddy Graham, Richard Boyd
Forwards: Paul Dobinson, Mike Williams, Dustin Archibald, Dave Rourke, Tashon Desilva, Paul Canfield, Thomas Greenslade, Peter Dunkerley, Jahan Cedenio, Edward Barnes, Adam Richards, Conor McGlynn

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/201 ... /140509724

Next

Return to Rugby Forum