Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

Postby Tobar » Mon, 25 Jun 2018, 13:49

Only 24 days left until the Central American and Caribbean Games in Barranquilla, Colombia. Rugby will be played on August 1st and 2nd so teams like Jamaica and Mexico can participate in the RWC Sevens as well as this tournament and I imagine of them win. The matches will be played at the newly renovated 3000 seater Estadio Moderno Julio Torres. I will be there for the last week of the tournament and definitely going to watch some rugby. I managed to get a press pass through my BIL so will be taking pics and possibly interviewing anyone who speaks English.

Here is the page in English: http://barranquilla2018.com/en/

And here are the 50 participating countries (primarily Caribbean island countries): http://barranquilla2018.com/en/paises/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 07:28

Honduras released a list of players training for the SAR C. The coach is the honorary british consul in Roatan, grown up playing rugby in South Africa. It will be their "full" debut, I suppose: their only recorded match is a 2015 loss with Guatemala A

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 04 Jul 2018, 21:16

The duel with Cayman, a sort of continental final, will be not so easy for Usa South: the Cayman are going to field a fijian as first centre and a Stringer as scrumhalf! :)

Cayman Rugby names FFP Cayman Men’s National XV Squad to face USA South
This game will take place Saturday 7th July, 1pm at Old White Rugby Facility Atlanta, GA.
FFP Cayman Men’s National XV Squad - USA South v Cayman Islands

​​​​​​​1.Dan Florek
2.Conor Brady*
3.Jonny Gibson
4.Shane Cusack
5.Jeffrey Robinson
6.Barry John Goude*
7.Shane Westin
8.Chris Kennedy (Capt)
9.Dave Stringer
10.Morgan Shelver
11.Darien Montague
12.Venasio Tokatokavanua
13.Mikey Wilson
14.Ian Smith
15.Killian Everard

16.Andy Hall
17.Jordan Southway
18.Pete DeVere
19.Dylan Bostock
20.Ben Blair
21.Cameron Bridgeman*
22.Phil Parker
23.Alex Pineau

HeadCoach - Garry Soothsay

(* uncapped player)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 00:36

USA south 42 14 Cayman islands

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 03:54

RAN championship must be re-thought, even if I don't know in which way. A tournament without Canada, with USA fielding a regional selection, without the other-best-teams Mexico and Guyana, with the candidate winner T&Tobago forfeiting due to lack of funds, has not the stigmata of a continental championship. The match between Usa South and Cayman was a sort of final for the title but it was not televised nor (as far as I know) web streamed and it's even hard to find photos of the game, several hours after its end.
The european championship (from 6N to REC Development) is composed by 88 matches; the northamerican one (championship, cup and trophy) by 8 matches

Final standing
1 Usa South
2 Cayman
3 Bermuda
4 Jamaica
5 Barbados
6 Gudaeloupe
7 Dominican Rep
8 Curacao

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 14:49

I feel like having Canada and the USA compete with the likes of Cayman Islands would be futile. I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to include CRC teams (for Canada) and GU rep teams (for the US).

At the same time, I hate the idea of having sub-national teams in a continental championship...

I'd love for the Central American teams to join RAN.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 03:01

Nothing is clear until we understand how the Americas Challenge will work. Guyana and Mexico will play it - how promotion/relegation will operate?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 03:55

grande wrote:I feel like having Canada and the USA compete with the likes of Cayman Islands would be futile. I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to include CRC teams (for Canada) and GU rep teams (for the US).

At the same time, I hate the idea of having sub-national teams in a continental championship...

USA South is a Geographic Union rep side, it's not even the Eagles Selects. To be honest I'm unsure that you would classify them as even a 3rd tier side if it were in the national set up here, especially now with MLR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 13:37

TheStroBro wrote:
grande wrote:I feel like having Canada and the USA compete with the likes of Cayman Islands would be futile. I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to include CRC teams (for Canada) and GU rep teams (for the US).

USA South is a Geographic Union rep side, it's not even the Eagles Selects. To be honest I'm unsure that you would classify them as even a 3rd tier side if it were in the national set up here, especially now with MLR.

Yep, I'm aware. I was (kinda/sorta) suggesting adding more GU rep sides to the tournament.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 17:04

victorsra wrote:Nothing is clear until we understand how the Americas Challenge will work. Guyana and Mexico will play it - how promotion/relegation will operate?

Clearly what will happen is Colombia will be promoted and Brazil relegated ;)

In all seriousness though, I would like to see the winner of the ARC B (Challenge, calling it B because they're both ARC) play a 1 or 2 game playoff against the loser of the ARC A in November or February (if the ARC A is moved). I do not want to see an automatic promotion just based off winning the ARC B - if this is case then the ARC B winner could just have gotten lucky playing against a very weak ARC B and could be just have a revolving door of ARC B to A and back again every year. This also gives an extra 2 guaranteed test matches for 2 lower tiered teams who most definitely do not get this opportunity. If there is no playoff then I would rather see this happen every 2 years and allow for aggregate score over those years.

So if Paraguay wins the ARC B and Chile loses the ARC A, then they would square off for a match or two to see who gets to be in the ARC A. AFAIK, neither team consistently have November test matches so this would be a very welcome addition no matter who wins. I don't think Paraguay is better than Chile nor do I think they would contend very well in the ARC A so an automatic promotion would just result in them getting smacked and Chile owning the ARC B. Sure it'd be good experience for some of the teams involved but I'd rather see top notch competition.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 18:24

USA South Women win RAN 10s. 19-12 over Jamaica. Men U19s is tomorrow, USA South has a chance for a full sweep.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 18:25

In all seriousness though, I would like to see the winner of the ARC B (Challenge, calling it B because they're both ARC) play a 1 or 2 game playoff against the loser of the ARC A in November or February (if the ARC A is moved). I do not want to see an automatic promotion just based off winning the ARC B - if this is case then the ARC B winner could just have gotten lucky playing against a very weak ARC B and could be just have a revolving door of ARC B to A and back again every year. This also gives an extra 2 guaranteed test matches for 2 lower tiered teams who most definitely do not get this opportunity. If there is no playoff then I would rather see this happen every 2 years and allow for aggregate score over those years.

I would like to see a 4 teams tournament maybe with 2 bottom ARC and 2 best ARC B teams

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 14 Jul 2018, 21:22

Los Serpientes U19s 46-15 USA South. Great crowd on the home side of the stand...maybe RAN can shift their filming angles next time?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 19:04

Still not known the list of competing teams in Barranquilla for the 7s tournament (august 1 & 2) in the already started Central America & Caribbean Games. There are 37 nations involved in the Games and 29 of them at least once in the past fielded a rugby national team, so it could be a very busy schedule

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 20:08

The schedule is already set, however it doesn't list any of the teams involved. There are 2 pools and 12 preliminary games so I would imagine that there are 8 teams involved.

This page on Wikipedia says that Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Mexico, Guayana, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala and Costa Rica are the 8 teams.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 22:32

Watching the map above I noticed for the first time in my life (even if I'm almost 200 years old) that El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduras have very similar flags. This leads to the suspect that they were once together a one only state and the hypothesis is more or less correct, Wikipedia says: almost two centuries ago those three nations plus Guatemala and Costa Rica formed PUCA, a federated state (Provincias Unidas del Centro de America), but after just two decades the federation collapsed due to internal disputes and wars. Anyway most of the territories maintained the PUCA's blue-white-blue flag also after the de-federation.
According to wikipedia the meaning of the flag is "the land (white) between two oceans (blue)", but according to... the same source it was inspired by the argentinian flag and that flag's colors should have nothing to do with land and oceans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_R ... al_America

Tobar wrote:The schedule is already set, however it doesn't list any of the teams involved. There are 2 pools and 12 preliminary games so I would imagine that there are 8 teams involved.

This page on Wikipedia says that Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Mexico, Guayana, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala and Costa Rica are the 8 teams.

A pity the absence of nations like Cuba, Haiti and Dominican Republic. They all debuted in 7s in recent years

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 25 Jul 2018, 01:48

Canalina wrote:Watching the map above I noticed for the first time in my life (even if I'm almost 200 years old) that El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduras have very similar flags. This leads to the suspect that they were once together a one only state and the hypothesis is more or less correct, Wikipedia says: almost two centuries ago those three nations plus Guatemala and Costa Rica formed PUCA, a federated state (Provincias Unidas del Centro de America), but after just two decades the federation collapsed due to internal disputes and wars. Anyway most of the territories maintained the PUCA's blue-white-blue flag also after the de-federation.
According to wikipedia the meaning of the flag is "the land (white) between two oceans (blue)", but according to... the same source it was inspired by the argentinian flag and that flag's colors should have nothing to do with land and oceans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_R ... al_America

Tobar wrote:The schedule is already set, however it doesn't list any of the teams involved. There are 2 pools and 12 preliminary games so I would imagine that there are 8 teams involved.

A pity the absence of nations like Cuba, Haiti and Dominican Republic. They all debuted in 7s in recent years

Yeah I wish there were more but rugby is so far down on the list for these countries. Jamaica or Mexico should win pretty easily against most teams. Colombia have a great player in Jhon Arley Urrutia. He's wicked fast and plays 15s too as a wing but doesn't have the best rugby IQ. Typical 7s player, not sure how big he is but he is pretty damn muscular so he's not a Perry Baker kind of build.

It also looks like ARN confirmed the teams as well: https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/ ... ean-games/.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 09:12

8 Men's team's participating in the Central American and Caribbean games.

Colombia
México
Guyana
Costa Rica
Venezuela
Trinidad y Tobago
Jamaica
Guatemala

Playing 3 games each to sort out the Quarterfinals etc for tomorrow.

My Prediction

Gold Colombia as hosts surely odds on favourite
Silver Mexico
Bronze Jamaica.

4th Place: Guatemala ( Dark horse)
5th Place: Trinidad
6th Place: Costa Rica
7th Place: Guyana
8th Place: Venezuela

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 14:37

High hopes for Colombia. They’re surely getting better but I’m not sure they’d get gold. This is 7s though and these teams don’t get regular playing time like those on the circuit so anything can happen. Wonder how Jamaica’s new guy is going to do.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 15:26

Why Guyana behind Guatenala or Cosrfa Rica or Trinidad? They have much better results. Guyana will play for the bronze. Even maybe for the silver.

Venezuela in theory could play to be in the SFs, cause they are not behind Guatemala or Costa Rica, but I guess the crisis is hitting them.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 15:32

I haven't seen Guyana played in a long time unlike the others but will see after today where are the standings. Venezuela is that low because of the current crisis but they may surprise us.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 18:31

Results from day one, men and women: http://barranquilla2018.com/deportes/ho ... te=rugby-7

The only undefeated men’s team is Trinidad. Colombia beat Mexico which war Guyana which beat Colombia, so its completely up in the air right now. Colombia is playing Guatemala in the QF and they should be able to handle them easily (Guatemala is winless).

As for women, Colombia and Venezuela are undefeated and both look pretty good. That’d make for a fun final. Mexico is 1-2 which surprised me considering they were at the RWC 7s.

Also, did not expect the French Guyanese team to be completely white guys.

Postby 4N » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 19:29

Tobar wrote:Also, did not expect the French Guyanese team to be completely white guys.

There is a big European space center in Kourou.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 20:31

I am genuinely surprise at some of the results, Central America promise so much in the lead up and never fail to disappoint :x

Mexico they just hammered Venezuela, this tournament is most definitely up in the air.

I still think Colombia will take Men's Gold.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 20:41

4N wrote:
Tobar wrote:Also, did not expect the French Guyanese team to be completely white guys.

There is a big European space center in Kourou.

Where pretty much everything gets launched. I spent time in Kourou, nicer than Cayenne personally. Interesting that the way the French make pizza is the exact same. Also, something dumb was your M&Ms would be imported to France and then shipped to Guyane Francaise.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum