Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

Postby Tobar » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 03:09

Posted in SA rugby but Colombia took gold in men’s and women’s. Mexico got silver for men and Venezuela got silver for women.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 06:07

TheStroBro wrote:
4N wrote:
Tobar wrote:Also, did not expect the French Guyanese team to be completely white guys.

There is a big European space center in Kourou.

Where pretty much everything gets launched. I spent time in Kourou, nicer than Cayenne personally. Interesting that the way the French make pizza is the exact same. Also, something dumb was your M&Ms would be imported to France and then shipped to Guyane Francaise.

French overseas are all rules in companies by France - and not only French companies.
So most of the manufactured products came from metropolitan France.
Maybe it has to do with import rules, but for sure that would be easier to import it from Brasil...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 07:05

TheStroBro wrote:Also, something dumb was your M&Ms would be imported to France and then shipped to Guyane Francaise.

How did you come to the conclusion, that M&Ms are imported to France? I am quite sure Mars has at least a dozen factories within the EU most likely more than just one in France. With M&Ms being around in Europe since the 1970ies, those are definitely produced here. All different chocolate bars, bar some import ones are.

Maybe the trade routes from Guyana to France are cheaper and no import taxes makes things easier as well. Could also be a taste thing as the recipes in the EU and the USA and the Americas are different and yes those chocolate bars do taste differently.

But back to rugby, Guyana was actually in the 7WS-Qualifier in Hong Kong 2017, so they've played just recently at a high level.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 07:53

Guyana isn't French Guyana.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 08:09

Armchair Fan wrote:Guyana isn't French Guyana.

:oops: facepalm to myself
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 14:03

Guyana played sevens twice the Pan American Games! 2011 and 2015. And the Commonwealth Games in 2010.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 15:02

Guatemala lost all its matches in men's and women's Barranquilla tournament, as far as I know, but it's nice there are these Games where Caribbean, Central America and South America nations can amalgamate

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 15:39

The 24th edition of the games will be in Panama in 2022

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 17:30

RugbyLiebe wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Also, something dumb was your M&Ms would be imported to France and then shipped to Guyane Francaise.

How did you come to the conclusion, that M&Ms are imported to France? I am quite sure Mars has at least a dozen factories within the EU most likely more than just one in France. With M&Ms being around in Europe since the 1970ies, those are definitely produced here. All different chocolate bars, bar some import ones are.

Maybe the trade routes from Guyana to France are cheaper and no import taxes makes things easier as well. Could also be a taste thing as the recipes in the EU and the USA and the Americas are different and yes those chocolate bars do taste differently.

Good to know on the factories bit. I just remember clearly the wrapper had three languages on it just like in France: English, French, and Arabic.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 22:54

Canalina wrote:Guatemala lost all its matches in men's and women's Barranquilla tournament, as far as I know, but it's nice there are these Games where Caribbean, Central America and South America nations can amalgamate

Yeah happy to see all of these teams get more competitions. I have no idea how many tournaments Colombia gets to play a year against other countries but I can only think of the Sudamérica stops. Plus, since the competition is more even you can get a team like a Colombia or Mexico fighting for gold. It’s good to get 1st place once every so often, especially in front of a home crowd.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 08:18

Confirmed Schedule for #ARChallenge2018:

Sunday, August 26: Paraguay v Mexico, and Colombia vs. Guyana

Wednesday, August 29: Guyana v Paraguay and Colombia vs. Mexico

Saturday, September 1: Mexico v Guyana and Colombia v Paraguay

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 11:57

Full press release from WR: https://www.worldrugby.org/news/353751

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 04:24

Promotion/Relegation playoff confirmed!

Cayman Islands vs Guyana, Feb 9th, @Caymans: https://www.facebook.com/events/743610312668640/

So this means 2019 Americas Challenge will be Colombia, Paraguay, Mexico and Guyana/Caymans

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 14:42

Cool so then ARC, ARCh and whatever’s below that.

In other news, Jamaica will play rugby at their famous cricket stadium: https://twitter.com/t2rugby/status/1086 ... 15072?s=21

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 14:46

Yes, but, why Peru is not playing a Rep?

One theory is that they are focused on the Pan American Games Sevens...

But if that's not the reason, South America has an issue: Paraguay and Colombia played in both South American 6 Nations and Americas Rugby Challenge. Paraguay defeated Colombia at the SA6N, but Colombia defeated Paraguay at the ARCh. So? Who would play Peru? Something to solve at least for 2020.

Postby 4N » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 14:51

Tobar wrote:In other news, Jamaica will play rugby at their famous cricket stadium: https://twitter.com/t2rugby/status/1086 ... 15072?s=21

:thumbup:

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 17:41

victorsra wrote:Yes, but, why Peru is not playing a Rep?

One theory is that they are focused on the Pan American Games Sevens...

But if that's not the reason, South America has an issue: Paraguay and Colombia played in both South American 6 Nations and Americas Rugby Challenge. Paraguay defeated Colombia at the SA6N, but Colombia defeated Paraguay at the ARCh. So? Who would play Peru? Something to solve at least for 2020.

Do you mean as a promotion/qualifier into ARCh? If it's for the ARCh then I would assume they go by the ARCh results and vice versa for SA6N. Or Peru could play against Venezuela (difficult with crisis), Ecuador or Bolivia.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 22:30

I mean Caymans are facing Guyana because they were the best of the 2018 RAN Championship.

Peru is the best South American team outside the ARCh, they won the 2018 South American 2nd division.

So, why Caymans have the right to play for the ARCh promotion and Peru doesn't?

And if Peru is awarded this right, who would they face: Colombia or Paraguay? I guess Paraguay because Paraguay lost to Colombia in the 2018 ARCh.

But also if Peru has the right to play for promotion in the South American Championship they would face Colombia (defeated by Paraguay in that competition).

Capisce?

Note: I don't think Ecuador or Bolivia will play 15s this year... but Bolivia is the best bet, as Ecuador looks to have unsolved Union problems...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 22:44

The inclusion of the four teams involves more than rankings. The official announcement from Rugby Americas North pointed out that Guyana earned the right to play by winning the 2017 RAN Senior Men’s Championship. Mexico, meanwhile, has been invited based on its market potential.

Beginning in 2019 the participants will be those who from RAN who qualify first and second in RAN qualification.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... september/

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 01:02

With the ARC and the ARCh, are the North American and South American Championships now effectively 3rd divisions of these, or do the teams in the top two tiers still compete in their continental championships?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 01:39

No. The South American Championship stays with Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay and Colombia. At least 2018 and 2019. Maybe it will be scrapped for 2020, but I dont have an official source.

The 2nd division in 2018 had Peru, Guatemala and Costa Rica. Venezuela too, but they couldn't play due to visa issues.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 11:24

Yeah, it would be cool if there was a promotion playoff that includes the best remaining team from South America.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 16:48

victorsra wrote:I mean Caymans are facing Guyana because they were the best of the 2018 RAN Championship.

Peru is the best South American team outside the ARCh, they won the 2018 South American 2nd division.

So, why Caymans have the right to play for the ARCh promotion and Peru doesn't?

And if Peru is awarded this right, who would they face: Colombia or Paraguay? I guess Paraguay because Paraguay lost to Colombia in the 2018 ARCh.

But also if Peru has the right to play for promotion in the South American Championship they would face Colombia (defeated by Paraguay in that competition).

Capisce?

Note: I don't think Ecuador or Bolivia will play 15s this year... but Bolivia is the best bet, as Ecuador looks to have unsolved Union problems...

Yes I understand, but the issue isn’t determining who Peru should play against - that would be Paraguay because they were last in the ARCh. If this were for SA6N qualifiers then that’s a different topic. The issue is that Peru isn’t playing anyone.

victorsra wrote:No. The South American Championship stays with Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay and Colombia. At least 2018 and 2019. Maybe it will be scrapped for 2020, but I dont have an official source.

Why would they cancel it? They just rebranded the SA championship to include 6 teams on the top, it seems odd to consider getting rid of it altogether after a few years.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 22:27

LAR = Jan to May/Jun
ARC = Aug-Sep
Tests (or Pichot's World League) - Jul and Nov

There is only October left for the SA6N. Maybe they'll keep it. Not sure.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 22:36

It can still run during February. This is a normal window for test matches and they’re only 3 matches.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum