Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: North American & Caribbean Rugby (NACRA)

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 01 Dec 2019, 18:45

Thomas wrote:To the American cousins in this forum.
Does anyone know about Borderland United Rugby Club?

A recent press release states they are fully professional and is made up of players from Ciudad Juarez and across the border in El Paso.

The club will be playing against US and Mexico teams. Any additional information?

Can you link the press release? Supposedly they're playing the El Paso Scorpions next week per their facebook (On the USA Rugby public roster they only have two members for this season). I don't know how they could be fully professional especially in that area. I spent three years playing Rugby in El Paso with both the Scorpions and the Bliss Warriors. Senior Rugby in the Rio Grande Rugby Union is in a rough place, at one point we had 8 teams. There are now 4. Borderland United says they have players from the US side of the border, that has to be a PITA to get to training.

Last year UTEP and The Scorpions played a friendly against another Juarez club, I think it was the Guerreros. Rugby in the Borderland is in such a weird place right now, it has had a long Senior presence but that is falling apart. But the youth scene is rapidly expanding, there's now a girls program in EP. UTEP Men have been very stable since restarting the program. This is the first season for UTEP women.

Border is a club playing in the Northeast Division of the 15s Comp in Mexico.

ETA: It was Los Gallos, not Los Guerreros.

Working Class Rugger wrote:
I think from memory StroBro mentioned either here or on r/mlr that the Legion are working with a Mexican group in some capacity that are looking at MLR in the future. But from memory that's based around Tijuana. This group is more Texan oriented.

Currently Los Xolos (The Soccer Club) are working with SD Legion to expand youth rugby in San Diego and in Tijuana. They're also very interested in MLR, or at least were. But the overt partnership with SD last season was something new to me.
Last edited by TheStroBro on Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 01 Dec 2019, 20:22

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 01:33

Thanks. I have no idea why it's saying they're playing "professional" rugby. I noticed a bunch of former teammates on that list, it sounds like Los Gallos and Scorpions merged...gosh that's gonna be painful. Travel in that division is just as bad as the RGRU. Scorpions were a Division 3 club.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum