Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sri Lankan Rugby

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Rugby in Sri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 06:28

The sad predicament of Sri Lankan Rugby continues.. This team has real genuine chance of qualifying for the JWC again since they last made it to Chile in 2001.. Pity

U-20 Rugby: Sanath Martis blames meddling insiders for his resignation as SL Junior Coach

Veteran Rugby coach Sanath Martis questioned the validity of the term ‘development of the game’ of the Sri Lanka Rugby Football Union (SLRFU) after he was compelled to tender his resignation as coach of the National Under-20 side for the forthcoming Junior Asiad.

A dejected Martis put the blame on the SLRFU hierarchy, which he stated as running the game without a proper vision.

Martis had come to this decision after an official from the SLRFU had put extra pressure on junior players representing two top clubs to be released for the ongoing Dialog Division ‘A’ League Tournament instead of making themselves available for national duty.

It is said that the said official had persuaded the Director General of the Ministry of Sports, who is the Competent Authority of SLRFU, to get almost two thirds of the Junior Squad released from training.

Martis, had Dinesh Colin as his assistant and it is learnt that Colin too had expressed his unwillingness to continue or take charge of the side sans Martis.

What had forced Martis to tender his resignation is that the coach has been summoned by the Director General for a meeting with the presence of Rohan Gunaratne, the Chief Executive Officer of SLRFU, where he has been told by the Competent Authority, that ‘wherever it is played rugby is rugby’.

“With that aim I took a squad of 35 players and took them for a residential training at Diyathalawa and just after a day I get news from players that their clubs want them back. The situation got worse when more players joined the bandwagon and eventually I decided to call it off and return. I gave them a week off and then again I get less players turning out for practices when training resumed. I was called for a meeting by the Director General and after the chat I decided to throw the towel and let the hierarchy resolve this matter, which is beyond my control, on their own,” he said.

According to sources as much as 21 junior players are currently contracted by top clubs where Navy SC and Havelocks SC own the majority of them.

A top player of the junior squad apparently had told Martis that the parents of most of these contracted players are depending exceedingly from the humble riches of their sons.

Interestingly it is said that the same official or set of officials who wanted Kandy SC players grilled for not attending national duty some years back are working behind the curtain to get the junior players off from national duty for club purposes.

“If it is sabotage I think I can guess who is behind it. The top officials who should be taking vital decisions wanted me to untangle the mess they have created and get matters sorted out regarding dispute between SLRFU and the Schools Section. I’m the appointed coach and it’s beyond my watch. I train outfits not officials without a proper vision. If this is what they call development of the game, then I’m sorry I must say it is the wrong interpretation. It must be named otherwise,” a furious Martis said.
Confusion prevails if the players named for the Junior Asiad come under the SLRFU or the Sri Lanka Schools Rugby Football Association (SLSRFU), under which selection is done after tournaments conducted by them.

According to informed sources Martis has been told to sorted the matter out, but, he had declined by saying it’s not his territory.

It is also learnt that the SLSRFA is contemplating to pulling out from the Junior Asiad if SLRFU does not co-operate and get matters straightened up with the clubs.

The Junior Asiad is scheduled to be held from December 13 to 19 in Singapore.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/89595/u-20-ru ... nior-coach

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 04 May 2016, 08:02

Muthuthantri named Tuskers captain, 9 debutants make squad

The Sri Lanka Rugby Football Union (SLRFU) has named a squad of 25 ahead of the Asia Rugby Championship in Malaysia to be held from the 8th – 14th May 2016. The squad features a nice mix of youth and experience.

Havelock’s versatile third row forward Sudarshana Muthuthantri (Muthu) will skipper the national team for the first time. Muthu was named as the Fazil Marija’s successor last September in the shorter version of the game and this will be a great opportunity for the Havelock’s captain to lead the team on the big stage once again.

The highest try scorer of the concluded Dialog Rugby League Prasath Madhusankha will debut alongside eight others, namely Rahul De Silva, Janik Jayasuriya (Havelocks) Nivanka Prasad (Navy), Kavindu Perera, Banuka Nanayakkara (CR&FC) and Dhanush Dayan (Kandy SC). Last year’s national XV’s U20 Captain Omalka Gunarathne and 7s Captain Kevin Dixon are the youngest members of the squad.

Srinath Sooriyabandara, Shehan (Lema) Pathirana, Nigel Ratwatte, Gayan Weerarathne and Anurudda Wilwara (Kandy), Dulaj Perera and Niroshan Fernando (Havelocks) are the players who are missing out due to injury while Richard Dharmapala is overseas for his studies.

Fazil Marija has postponed the laser treatment on his spine but will serve as the backs coach for this tour. He is also hoping to be fit for the Olympic Qualifiers in Monaco next month.

The highest points scorer of the league, Thilina Weerasinghe is a notable absentee from the squad after playing the season of his life for Navy SC. Mr. Reliable Rizah Mubarak fits into the starting XV while Dixon will be the utility player who is expected to come off the bench.
Henry Terrance, Piumal Manchanayake, Damith Dissanayake and Thilina Weerasinghe, will be standby players who won’t be touring.

The squad

1 Prop Dushmantha Priyadarshana (Havelock)
2 Hooker Prasath Madusanka (Havelock)
3 Prop Ganuka Dissanayake (Havelock)
4 Lock/Prop Jason Melder (Havelock)
5 Lock Sharo Fernando (Police)
6 Captain / flanker Sudharshana Muthuthantri (Havelock)
7 Lock / flanker Jesan Dissanayaka (CR&FC)
8 No8 Buwaneka Udangamuwa (Kandy)
9 Scrum half Roshan Weerarathna (Kandy)
10 Fly half Chanaka Chandimal (Navy)
11 Center / wing Kavindu Perera (CR&FC)
12 Center / wing Kanchana Ramanayaka (CR&FC)
13 Center Danushka Ranjan (Havelock)
14 Wing Sandun Herath (Havelock)
15 Full back Rizah Mubarak (Police)
16 Hooker Achala Perera (Police)
17 Prop Kishore Jahan (Kandy)
18 Lock/flanker Suhiru Anthony (Kandy)
19 Flanker Niwanka Prasad (Navy)
20 Utility back Kevin Dixon (Havelock)
21 Fly half / center Banuka Nanayakkara (CR&FC)
22 No8 / flanker Omalka Gunaratne (Navy)
23 Wing / full back Dansha Dayan (Kandy)
24 Scrum half Rahul De Silva (Havelcok)
25 Lock Janik Jayasuriya (Havelock)

http://www.thepapare.com/muthuthantri-n ... ake-squad/

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 31 May 2017, 06:22

Current CEO of Sri Lanka Rugby (SLR) Priyantha Ekenayake speaks on his rugby career and his plans for Sri Lanka Rugby.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Sri Lankan Rugby

Postby kush123 » Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 06:53

Ministry will select rugby coaches for NZ training - Dayasiri

Min­is­ter of Sports Dayasiri Jayasek­era yes­ter­day con­firmed that he will call for fresh ap­pli­ca­tions and carry out his own in­ter­view process be­fore de­cid­ing on which rugby coaches will at­tend a train­ing pro­gramme in New Zealand, in ef­fect over­rid­ing the rec­om­men­da­tions made by the Sri Lanka Rugby (SLR).

The train­ing pro­gramme, for a Level 2 New Zealand Rugby coach­ing cer­ti­fi­ca­tion, is to be held at the Hur­ri­canes rugby academy and SLR had se­lected eight in­di­vid­u­als – based on cri­te­ria of who could po­ten­tially con­trib­ute the most to Sri Lankan na­tional rugby. Those se­lec­tions were made by the High Per­for­mance Unit led by In­thisham Marikar.

How­ever, the Min­is­ter yes­ter­day said that fol­low­ing sev­eral com­plaints that he had re­ceived about the se­lec­tions he had de­cided to re-eval­u­ate the process be­fore de­cid­ing which coaches will travel to New Zealand for the pro­gramme, which is funded by the Min­istry through the Na­tional In­sti­tute of Sports Science. “I re­ceived sev­eral com­plaints about this is­sue. The se­lec­tions made by Sri Lanka Rugby (SLR) are ar­bi­trary and there may be sev­eral qual­i­fied and wor­thy coaches who may miss out on this op­por­tu­nity, and ev­ery­one de­serves an equal op­por­tu­nity in the se­lec­tion process,” the Min­is­ter said. “It needs to be open and trans­par­ent, so I have asked the Di­rec­tor of the Na­tional In­sti­tute of Sports Science Sa­jith Jay­alal to con­duct in­ter­views with po­ten­tial nom­i­nees,” Min­is­ter Jayasek­era said.

The process it is un­der­stood would be ei­ther call­ing for ap­pli­ca­tions through news­pa­pers or rec­om­men­da­tions by clubs.

The Daily Mir­ror on Au­gust 30 re­ported that Sri Lanka Rugby (SLR) had se­lected eight coaches for this pro­gramme

Sri Lanka Rugby had ear­lier nom­i­nated the names of the Na­tional Un­der-19 Coach Su­dath Sam­path, Ra­jeev Per­era, Asanga Ro­drigo, Amila Chathu­ranga, Nalaka Weer­akkody, Shamly Nawaz, Lasintha de Costa and Thanuja Weer­akkody to at­tend this two-week pro­gramme. Over­looked and/or not con­sid­ered are top rung coaches of the cal­i­bre of Sanath Mar­tis, Nil­fer Ibrahim, Ron­nie Ibrahim and Mothilal Jay­atilleke. Speak­ing to ‘Daily Mir­ror’ last week, SLR’S High Per­for­mance Di­rec­tor said that SLR had for­warded their rec­om­men­da­tions and that it was Sports Min­is­ter Dayasiri Jayasek­era’s fi­nal de­ci­sion on whom to send for the pro­gramme. “We have for­warded the names to the Min­is­ter and we are con­fi­dent the coaches we have rec­om­mended are fit for the cri­te­ria for this pro­gramme,” he said. ‘Daily Mir­ror’ also learnt that a top of­fi­cial had raised his con­cerns about the se­lec­tion process at a SLR Coun­cil meet­ing last week, call­ing for more trans­parency in the se­lec­tions.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 08:25

Kandy SC vs Bahrain RFC – Asia WCC League

Asia Western Club Champions League match between Kandy Sports Club and Bahrain Rugby Football Club on the 22nd of September 2017 from Nittawela. Catch the LIVE action on Sri Lanka’s No. 1 Sports Hub 3.50 p.m. (GMT +5.5) onwards.

http://www.thepapare.com/live-kandy-sc-vs-bahrain-rfc-asia-wcc-league-2017/

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 16:27

foxsports.com.au
Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest’s Indo-Pacific Rugby Competition: Kick and Chase discussion

BILLIONAIRE Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest’s foray into rugby has the ability to dramatically change the sport’s future.

After losing the battle for the Force’s survival in Super Rugby, the mining magnate has turned his attention to starting a league of his own, outlining plans for a six-team Indo-Pacific Rugby Competition to launch next year.

A bitter public spat has now turned into constructive dialogue between Forrest’s IPRC team and the Australian Rugby Union, who have set up a working group to assist in its development.

The backdrop to all this is that the SANZAAR-negotiated Super Rugby broadcast deal expires in 2020, which is shaping as a defining juncture for the future of the sport.

South Africa is already exploring new territory in Europe, where the Cheetahs and Kings — also axed from Super Rugby — are now competing in the Pro14 competition against club teams from Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales.

Fox Sports’ Kick & Chase panel of experts examined the rapidly changing landscape on Tuesday night and offered their own vision for what it could mean for Super Rugby, the National Rugby Competition and the Australian club game.

Presenter Nick McArdle kicked the discussion off by asking former Wallaby Stephen Hoiles whether Australia could potentially cut South Africa and New Zealand adrift after 2020 if Forrest’s IPRC gets off to a flyer.
Former Wallabies backrower Stephen Hoiles wants Australian rugby to remain aligned with New Zealand.
Former Wallabies backrower Stephen Hoiles wants Australian rugby to remain aligned with New Zealand.Source: News Corp Australia

Stephen Hoiles’ response

“I would like to think that we could potentially say that to South Africa but I’d like to see us (stay) with New Zealand long-term,” Hoiles said.

“I think that’s the best standard of rugby.

“We’ve got to keep thinking high performance here, we’ve always got to think what’s best for grassroots and at the same time what’s best for the Wallabies.

“So I think long-term, I’d love to see this be the one competition (Super Rugby and IPRC).

“And we really do need to talk to Andrew Forrest and be very serious about it because no-one’s coming to our game with this type of money and this type of vision.

“We’d be so naive to ignore him and say ‘thanks but we don’t need you, we’ll take it from here,’ because where we are, it’s not working and we need to consider options.”

Hoiles then threw to former All Black Andrew Mehrtens, who has long been an advocate of exploring the Asian market.
All Blacks Jonah Lomu, Byron Kelleher and Andrew Mehrtens celebrate their win over Italy in 2002.
All Blacks Jonah Lomu, Byron Kelleher and Andrew Mehrtens celebrate their win over Italy in 2002.Source: Getty Images

Andrew Mehrtens’ take

“Well, it’s been 20 years since they talked about the WRC (Kerry Packer’s proposed World Rugby Championship),” Mehrtens said.

“And that was about playing in your time zones and it was about logically having competitions globally, where you had your preliminary comps in those time zones and then you had playoffs across the globe.

“I think it’s exciting.”

Mehrtens then couldn’t help but throwing in a joke.

“Of course if you play in North Korea, we know very well now from what they’re testing (nuclear weapons), that your travel across the top of Japan is easy, very easy.”

Former Wallaby Drew Mitchell then analysed what the arrival of the IPRC could mean for the NRC’s future.

There is overlap in the calendar between the two competitions, with the IPRC’s organisers envisaging theirs as being “tier two” quality and comparable to Super Rugby.

Drew Mitchell’s vision

“For me, if this competition (IPRC) was to absorb the NRC in 2020, I’d like to see club rugby replace that NRC model,” Mitchell said.

“This is just throwing it out there but if the top four from the Brisbane competition, at the end of Shute Shield or their respective competitions, the top four from Sydney, one from Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, they make up what would be the new National Rugby Championship.

“And it gives teams in those competitions something to aspire to.

“It’s got that nostalgic feel that people are really drawn to at the moment.

“We see how well club rugby is going, everyone’s getting right behind it because they grew up with it, they watched those games with their parents and all that type of thing.

“So I’d like, maybe, that club level to replace the NRC.”

McArdle then chimed in with his thoughts.
Nick McArdle says the Australian Rugby Union must ensure it embraces Andrew Forrest.
Nick McArdle says the Australian Rugby Union must ensure it embraces Andrew Forrest.Source: News Corp Australia

Nick McArdle’s comments

“The really important thing, like you said, is there’s a guy (Forrest) with potentially hundreds of millions of dollars, who wants to make Australian rugby better again,” McArdle said.

“He’s talked about making the Wallabies better again and the game needs to find a way to embrace it and work with him because it’s exciting ideas.”

Hoiles then wrapped up the conversation.

Stephen Hoiles’ conclusion

“Yeah, and to be honest we’re fortunate to still have him (Forrest) in the game because his side is the Western Force and they weren’t happy with how they were treated,” Hoiles said.

“They could have taken it to further legal cases and chewed up time and money but they’ve decided to do this (IPRC).

“I think it’s a bold move and we should be looking at every way possible to get on board.”

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 02:20

Buddima Piyarathane ruled out of 2nd leg

With hours to go for the Sri Lanka Sevens’ team’s departure, the selectors make a last minute change as Buddhima Piyarathane who met with an sudden accident has been ruled out paving way for Srinath Sooriyabandara to join the team.

The 20-year-old Navy SC player met with an unfortunate accident while travelling, sustaining a minor injury on his knee making him unavailable for the South Korea leg.

Buddhima was named in the 12-member-squad that was set to take flight this evening (20th) to Seoul but the sudden events have made the speedster sit out.

Sri Lanka will, therefore, opt to the experienced Srinath Sooriyabandara as he will complete the 12-member squad for the 2nd leg. The Kandy Sports Club utility player was initially included as one of the non-touring stand-by’s for the second leg.

The team will leave the country today (20th).

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:41

West Asia Premiership rugby: New boys Dubai Sports City Eagles 'ready to give it a good shot' as they open against Exiles

Add in the fact Doha have been forced to look elsewhere – namely Sri Lanka – for rugby, because of the Qatar boycott, and it describes a fluid landscape.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/rugby/ ... s-1.630521

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 01:48

Western Asia Championship: Bahrain RFC practice session in Kandy

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0178609250

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 06:44

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Sun, 24 Sep 2017, 01:29

Gritty Bahrain RFC spoil Kandy’s Championship hopes

http://www.thepapare.com/kandy-sc-vs-ba ... ch-report/

Bahrain RFC emerged victorious against a young Kandy outfit at Nittawela Stadium in their Asia Rugby Western Club Championship encounter earlier today.

The full-time score at the end of 80 minutes stood at 24 (3T 3C 1P) points to 23 (3T 1C 1P 1DG); at half time it was a 11 point game in favor of Bahrain, with the scores being 24 – 13.

Heshan Jansen got the start as the first-choice scrum half and Kandy Captain Gayan Weerarathne returned to the team playing in his preferred second center position replacing Chathura Senevirathne. The player who stood out for Bahrain was their prop forward Davis Tui, who had an excellent game winning almost all the tussles he encountered and powering through some tackles. He also managed to power his way over the line to score an excellent forward’s try and was also adjudged the ThePapare Player of the Match for his excellent outing today.

It was Thilina Wijesinghe who kicked the first points through the game as he managed to put through a 30m penalty from the left flank which was awarded for the line being off side. (Bahrain 00-03 Kandy)

Bahrain then started their scoring through a Richard Muncaster try in the left corner. Ivan Phillips the most experienced player on the park put through the conversion with ease. (Bahrain 07-03 Kandy)

The next try came courtesy of Bahrain’s big Kiwi born prop Davis Tui. A line-out was won inside the opposition’s 22 before turning it into a rolling maul which collapsed inches away from the try line. Eventually Tui picked it up and powered his way over the whitewash. Ivan converted his easiest kick of the day from under the posts. (Bahrain 14-03 Kandy)

Kandy hit back almost immediately through Anurudda Wilwara. It could simply be explained as a piece of Wilwara brilliance, having received a pass from Arshad Jamaldeen inside his own half, he stepped and ran through, bouncing off at least five defenders on his way to the try line before touching down for the first try for the Hill capital club. Thilina made an excellent conversion from the left corner flag of the field. (Bahrain 14-10 Kandy)

Ivan Phillips extended Bahrain’s lead as he bisected the posts through a penalty received for an offside offense. (Bahrain 17-10 Kandy)

Thilina Wijesinghe was in action soon before half time as he put through a drop goal from under the posts. Kandy tried to penetrate the Bahrain defense that held strong and so the ball was handed to Wijesinghe who calmly slotted in the kick to make it a four point game. (Bahrain 17-13 Kandy)

On the brink of half time Bahrain scored yet again through their forwards. The forwards were the big difference between the two sides as the Bahrain forwards managed to dominate the Kandy forwards throughout the 40minutes of the first half. This time it was Mark Burnell who scored right under the posts. The backs brought it into the Kandy 22m and the forwards started to grind their way up field before finally scoring. Phillips added the extras. (Bahrain 24-13 Kandy)

Half Time: Kandy SC 13 (1T 1C 1P 1DG) – 24 (3T 3C 1P) Bahrain RFC

Soon after half time Kandy scored to bring back the deficit by five points. Jamaldeen hit the posts for the second time in two games as the try went unconverted. The try scorer was yet again the go to man Anurudda Wilwara who showed his pace by running around the Bahrain wing three quarter to score. (Bahrain 24-18 Kandy)

Kandy scored again minutes after their previous try, this time through their captain Gayan Weerarathne who ran down the touchline after receiving a pass from Wilwara. The try was set up by some brilliant offloads by the second row forwards Heshan Kalhara and Dimitri Wijethunga. Thilina missed the conversion from the left corner flag. (Bahrain 24-23 Kandy)

The game ended with this score line as Bahrain prevailed through a mere point. Kandy were pretty much dominated in the scrums but their biggest concern was the line out throws as they failed to collect at least 8 of their throw-Ins.

However, it was a young team that Kandy fielded for these two encounters and have many positives to take away from the performances of Heshan Jansen, Lakshitha Ranaweera and many new faces.

With the result of this game going against Kandy, the Abu Dhabi Harlequins were crowned champions after drawing with Kandy and beating Bahrain RFC.

Full time: Kandy SC 23 (3T 1C 1P 1DG) – 24 (3T 3C 1P) Bahrain RFC

ThePapare.com’s Player of the Match: Davis Tui (Bahrain RFC)

Score Breakdown

Kandy SC – Anurudda Wilwara (2T), Gayan Weerarathne (1T), Thilina Wijesinghe (1C 1P 1DG)

Bahrain RFC – Davis Tui (1T), Mark Burnell (1T), Richard Muncaster (1T), Ivan Phillips (3C 1P)

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Sun, 24 Sep 2017, 18:48

Royal's memorable Rugby excursion in the land of All Blacks

Bonsa's son, Lehan Gunaratne, presents Bruce Cameron, his father's team mate at Royal, a memento

Royal’s senior rugby squad returned to Sri Lanka this week after a tour to Auckland, New Zealand. Besides playing two games against Rangitoto and Kings’ Colleges, the other highlights of the tour were the exclusive session with former All Blacks head coach Graham Henry and the opportunity to watch the All BlacksSpringboks game live at the OBE Stadium, Albany.
There was also another very special moment during the tour. Bruce Cameron, a New Zealander who played in the all- conquering Royal rugby team of 1988, was presented with a memento by Lehan Gunaratne, son of the captain of the Royal rugby team of ’ 88, Lasitha ‘ Bonsa’ Gunaratne. Bruce ( 6’ 3”) played for Royal as a centre, while he was here on an AFS programme. He has the rare distinction of scoring tries in both legs of the Bradby Shield. Bruce is the only Kiwi to have played for Royal. Lasitha Gunaratne’s son, Lehan, was one of the youngest members of the touring squad.
Though it is common for champion sports teams to be rewarded with foreign trips, tours to far- away lands such as New Zealand are rare. The Royal Rugby Advisory Committee, headed by Rohantha Peris, must be credited for its efforts to make this tour a reality. Two others who worked selflessly for the benefit of this tour were Ravi Wijenathan and Prof Murali Mahadevan. The former is a member of the Royal Rugby Advisory Committee, while Prof Mahadevan, Royal basketball captain of 1981 and a triple coloursman ( basketball, athletics, and water- polo), is now domiciled in Auckland.
But here-in-lie the story in this story; a great bunch of Trinitians domiciled in Auckland also came forward to lend an invaluable hand. The Trinity effort was spearheaded by Raj Joseph, whose contributions to make this tour happen, were second to none. In fact, a grand dinner event was organised entirely by the Trinity group, in honour of the touring Royal team. Humble and magnanimous as they are, instead of calling it “Dinner hosted by Trinity”, they just coined it “The Bradby Dinner”.
But then again, given that Royal and Trinity have been playing rugby against each other since 1920 (though the Bradby Series commenced in 1945), it is hardly surprising that these two schools and this great game has formed friendships, values, traditions, and a camaraderie that has lasted – not decades – but almost a century.
Another example of this camaraderie was when the Trinity College Principal of 1999-2003 period, the late Prof Warren Breckenridge announced in 2003 at the Old Royalists’ Rugby Dinner that it would be the last occasion that he’s attending the dinner as he was retiring soon-after. No sooner this announcement was made, the congregation, consisting entirely of former Royal rugby payers, stood and sang the Trinity anthem (chorus only) in his honour (the Old Royalists’ Rugby Dinner is held every year on the night before the Colombo-leg of the Bradby Shield, and other than former Royal rugby players who attend, few others such as the Principal of Trinity, and the President of the Sri Lanka Rugby Football Union are invited as special guest).
Sadly, some incidents which have occurred in relation to the Bradby Shield There’s a spirit in you, real words cannot describe As if you have descended from some legendry
tribe A kinship, a tradition, as in days so long since past The crusades of nights in armour, and the men
before the mast There’s a thrill you come to appreciate A pride you cannot tell And when you wear your colours jumper You wear it really well When you’re marked before the forwards rush So do in turn the tide When you make that vital tackle And the line is open wide When you go down on the rolling ball encounters within last few years are best forgotten. Really, less spoken of them, the better. Suffice to say that all those involved with these two schools and this great game of ours would do well to note that there is a bigger value system and a kinship which transcend the importance of winning a match. And dare the tramping feet Then you lift your aching body And the opposition meet When you burst away from tackles And make the winning run Then you come back hard and thumping And your team-mates say “well-done” And it’s not just the winning or the scoring or the
cheers It’s the friendships and memories that last through
the years It’s the camaraderie born of valour, and not of fame It’s the sheer exhilaration of playing the running
game

http://www.pressreader.com/sri-lanka/sunday-times-sri-lanka/20170924/282849371168059

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Mon, 25 Sep 2017, 08:50

Son of Saleaula gives back

A son of Saleaula, Soatama Tulagaese Semau Tavita, has returned to Savai’i to present rugby uniforms for his village’s team.

The uniform was valued at $13,000.

“For each player they get rugby jerseys and shorts, polo t-shirts and warm up t-shirts,” said Mase Mahonri Schwalger, another son of Saleaula.

He said the uniforms were presented during a ceremony at the Bayview Resort at Saleaula, Savai’i earlier this week.

“Soatama Tulagaese Semau Tavita is from Sri Lanka and he’s a son of Saleaula hence the presentation made to their village rugby team.”

http://samoaobserver.ws/en/17_09_2017/r ... s-back.htm

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Mon, 25 Sep 2017, 19:04

Mike Friday, and Finding the Key to USA Rugby’s Growth

Commercial Success Urgently Needed

In order to gain the popularity Friday alludes to, the game of rugby needs to be a real commercial commodity. On this point, Friday commented “In USR, there is a huge opportunity for a 7’s Grand Prix between the NBC television windows of American Football and Basketball in June, July and August.

“The sporting public of the USA would embrace it, much in the way the IPL cricket runs or on a lesser scale, how the Carlton 7’s in Sri Lanka is run. This would allow exposure, development of talent and coaches, and provide a logical progression from College/Club events up to this; and then into the World Series.

http://lastwordonrugby.com/2017/09/24/f ... ys-growth/

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Tue, 26 Sep 2017, 11:34

Kandy SC vs Bahrain RFC – Asia Western Club Champions League

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 02:36

Mathew Turner, previous England 7s captain, signs with Seattle Seawolves Rugby

In 2012 and 2015, Turner played for the Central Kings in Sri Lanka at the Carlton International 7s tournament. In August 2015, he was appointed as the head coach of the Sri Lanka national rugby sevens team, leading them to 2nd overall in the Asia Nation 7s for the first time.

http://www.seattleseawolves.com/news/ma ... lves-rugby

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 16:30

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Thu, 28 Sep 2017, 10:26

This article reports that Sri Lanka & Malaysia qualified into the commonwealth games 2018, but Malaysia got the chance last time due to Fiji ban , so Fiji still on the ban or they will play like in the youth CWG ?

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/rugby/2 ... yqbER9w.01

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Fri, 29 Sep 2017, 03:38

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Sat, 30 Sep 2017, 14:17

GROWING RUGBY GREATS

With his winning smile and graceful manners it is hard to imagine Jared Tuoro in the middle of a ruck or a maul.

But from the time he was a boy until he suffered a career-ending injury in his first professional game, JT, as he prefers to be called, tore up the pitch.

JT began his rugby career in his hometown of Opotiki, where his high-quality plays in the representative leagues won him a scholarship to play at Saint Kentigern College in Auckland.

After graduation, he enrolled at Massey University where he received a degree in coaching. He was simultaneously establishing himself as a powerful forward in the Auckland age-group teams.

JT hit the big time in New Zealand rugby when he secured a spot with the Auckland ITM Cup squad. In his first game, though, he suffered a prolapsed disc in his neck and his playing days came toan abrupt end.

Rather than turn his back on the game he loved, JT hung up his cleats, took out his clipboard and put his coaching degree to work.

He took a position as a development officer for a rugby club near Auckland, visiting schools and clubs and teaching young people to play rugby with the same skill and passion he had brought to the sport during his playing days.

It was around this time JT began to see himself as a teacher of rugby and a coach of coaches. He says when he first started coaching he didn’t really know how to deliver his message so he often reverted to barking instructions at his players from the sidelines. Quickly realising the barking method was not the most effective teaching technique, JT started attending coaching workshops and courses, eventually running them on his own.

With these newfound skills he continued moving through the coaching ranks, taking a coaching position with the Manawatu Women’s Sevens Club and continuing to offer courses and trainings for coaches.

In 2008 he took a position with a rugby club just outside Glasgow, Scotland. “Part of the excitement of teaching rugby to kids internationally, is that many of them didn’t even know how to hold the ball.” He says he enjoys teaching children something they have never seen and know nothing about.

In 2011, JT returned to New Zealand to take up a position as coach development manager with New Zealand Rugby, the governing body charged with nurturing the kind of rugby talent that manifests in the grace and power of the All Blacks.

“Teaching people to play rugby is not a bad career,” JT says.

With New Zealand Rugby, he has conducted rugby coaching courses in such far-flung places as Sri Lanka and Canada, while also developing community, club and school coaches in the lower North Island.

JT refers to his passion as “spreading the gospel of rugby – sharing the game with others so that they can have the same experiences I did in the rugby world”. He says it is about “friendships, the experience of playing together, trips to other towns, having a battle on the pitch and then talking and laughing about it afterwards, win, lose or draw”.

After five years with New Zealand Rugby, JT and his wife felt the pull of home and decided to return to Opotiki along with their three children, aged, five, two and five months.

He has been hosting parenting workshops on growing kids’ potential.

http://whakatanebeacon.co.nz/2017/09/growing-rugby-greats/

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Sun, 01 Oct 2017, 03:12

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Tue, 03 Oct 2017, 13:52

Singapore rugby team to play in Kandy

By Shamseer Jaleel

Defending league and Clifford Cup champions Kandy Sports Club will host the Singapore national rugby team on 21 October at the Nittawela rugby stadium.

Kandy is expected to field their full team as this encounter will be one week after the Asian Sevens’ third leg in Colombo. This will be an ideal opportunity for the upcountry club before they defend their title, with the game against CH & FC two weeks later in Colombo.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Wed, 04 Oct 2017, 13:33

Matt Hodgson confident ARU will back Indo Pacific Rugby Championship
Justin Chadwick, AAPFOX SPORTS
3-4 minutes
October 4, 20171:08pm

FORMER Wallaby Matt Hodgson is confident the Australian Rugby Union will give the new Indo Pacific Rugby Championship its tick of approval, with a decision to be made as early as next week.

The IPRC was launched by billionaire mining magnate Andrew Forrest last month in the wake of the Western Force’s axing from the Super Rugby competition.

Forrest and the ARU were involved in a bitter slanging match while the Force’s axing unfolded.

But peace has now been restored, with the ARU establishing a working group to help Forrest’s team set up the new competition.

However, the ARU are yet to officially endorse the IPRC — a looming decision that could either make or break the new competition.

If the ARU don’t endorse it, the IPRC would effectively become a rebel competition, meaning players who want to remain eligible for Wallabies selection won’t be able to participate.

LIVE stream Argentina v Australia on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week Foxtel Now trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW >

But Hodgson is confident the ARU will throw its support behind the IPRC, saying it’s in the best interests of Australian rugby.

“Hopefully by next week we should have some things moving forward,” Hodgson said.

“All the conversations we’re having with the ARU are positive.

“We have to think what’s best for rugby, and this is the best opportunity Australia has been offered in years. It’s pretty exciting.”

The new six-team competition has been dubbed the IPL of rugby.

It’s set to be launched in August next year — after the Super Rugby season.

The Force are the only confirmed participant so far.

The remaining five teams could come out of countries like Japan, China, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, and South Korea.

Hodgson has had hundreds of players contact him expressing an interest in joining the competition.

“I’ve had interest from internationals, and I’ve had interest from Australian players abroad wanting to come back,” Hodgson said.

“And I’ve had interest from some players who were looking to go overseas next year, but now might stay in Australia to play in this.”

Hodgson, who is the IPRC’s director of sports relations, retired from Super Rugby ranks at the end of last season.

But the 36-year-old is so excited about this new competition, he is keen to pull on the boots again — as long as it doesn’t hinder the chances of a local product coming up through the ranks.

Former Force coach Dave Wessels has been appointed the new head coach of the Melbourne Rebels.

But as part of his contract, he will be allowed to return to Perth to coach the Force in the IPRC competition.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Thu, 05 Oct 2017, 13:14

Dialog Rugby League Fixtures Released, Kandy face CH on Week one

http://www.thepapare.com/dialog-rugby-l ... -released/

dialog rugby league fixtures article cover

The first round fixtures of the 2017/18 Dialog Rugby League has been released by the Sri Lanka Rugby Football Union.

The fixtures have been released according to placing from last season and Kandy will begin their title defence against last season’s last placed CH & FC at the Maitland Place in Colombo on Saturday, November 4th.

The fixture will be the launch of the 2017/18 season. Soon after, runners up from last season, Havelocks SC will be taking on Police SC at home under lights.

Navy SC take on fellow force, Army SC at Welisara while CR & FC travel to Rathmalana to take on Air Force to conclude week one of the Dialog Rugby League.

2016/17 Table:

Position Team
1 Kandy SC
2 Havelock SC
3 Navy SC
4 CR & FC
5 Air Force SC
6 Army SC
7 Police SC
8 CH & FC
2017/18 Fixture:

Dialog Rugby League – 2017/2018
First Round
Week Date Home Team vs Visiting Team Venue Time
Week – 1 5-Nov Air Force SC vs C R & F C Ratmalana 4.00 pm
4-Nov Havelock SC vs Police SC Havelock Park 6.30 pm
4-Nov CH & FC vs Kandy SC CH & FC Grounds 4.00 pm
5-Nov Navy SC vs Army SC Welisara 4.00 pm
Week – 2 10-Nov Army SC vs CH & FC Army Grounds 4.00 pm
10-Nov Havelock SC vs Air Force SC Havelock Park 6.30 pm
11-Nov Police SC vs Kandy SC Police Park 4.00 pm
12-Nov C R & F C vs Navy SC Longdon Place 4.00 pm
Week-3 19-Nov Kandy SC vs Army SC Nittawala 4.00 pm
18-Nov Navy SC vs Havelock SC Welisara 4.00 pm
17-Nov CH & FC vs CR & FC CH & FC Grounds 4.00 pm
19-Nov Air Force SC vs Police SC Ratmalana 4.00 pm
Week-4 24-Nov CH & FC vs Havelock SC CH & FC Grounds 4.00 pm
25-Nov C R & F C vs Army SC Longdon Place 4.00 pm
26-Nov Kandy SC vs Air Force SC Nittawala 4.00 pm
26-Nov Navy SC vs Police SC Welisara 4.00 pm
Week-5 1-Dec Police SC vs CH & FC Police Park 4.00 pm
1-Dec Navy SC vs Air Force SC Welisara 4.00 pm
2-Dec C R & F C vs Kandy SC Longdon Place 4.00 pm
2-Dec Army SC vs Havelock SC Army Grounds 4.00 pm
Week-6 9-Dec Air Force SC vs CH & FC Ratmalana 4.00 pm
10-Dec Army SC vs Police SC Army Grounds 4.00 pm
10-Dec Kandy SC vs Navy SC Nittawala 4.00 pm
9-Dec C R & F C vs Havelock SC Longdon Place 4.00 pm
Week-7 15-Dec Police SC vs C R & F C Police Park 4.00 pm
16-Dec CH & FC vs Navy SC CH & FC Grounds 4.00 pm
17-Dec Army SC vs Air Force SC Army Grounds 4.00 pm
16-Nov Havelock SC vs Kandy SC Havelock Park 6.30 pm

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Fri, 06 Oct 2017, 07:55

Singapore national rugby team confirms Lankan tour

By Shamseer Jaleel

The Singapore national rugby team confirmed its tour to Sri Lanka on 20 October.

Upon arrival on the same night they will head up to Kandy to play the defending league and Clifford Cup champions Kandy Sports Club on 21 October at the Nittawela Rugby Stadium. Kick-off is scheduled for 4.00 p.m.

Kandy is expected to field their full team as this encounter will be one week after the Asian Sevens third leg in Colombo. This will be an ideal opportunity for the upcountry club to gain some match practice before they defend their league title, with their game against CH&FC two weeks later in Colombo.

Players who are nursing an injury, Roshan Weeraratne, Fazil Marija, Shehan Pathirana, Richard Dharmapala and Gayan Weeraratne, are expected to be named in the starting line-up. Players already with the national Sevens squad such as Jason Dissanayake, Dhanushka Ranjan and Srinarth Sooriyabandara are also expected to play in this encounter.

Singapore, who are undergoing intense training back at home, will be naming their touring 25 players this week. They are currently playing in the Asian Rugby Championship (ARC) Division II and they will be playing their promotion/relegation encounter against India on 15 November in Taipei. The four-team event will see Singapore, India, Taipei and Thailand battling it out for ARC Division I promotion in 2018.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum