Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

OLD STUFF - rarities

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: OLD STUFF - rarities

Postby Canalina » Thu, 14 Dec 2017, 06:33

Thanks Gambass. Just no written rules at all, for no one of the various versions of the game?
I fancied to replay with friends a game according to the then-a-days rules, with heavy ball, without the permission of running with it and without tries.

Jumping one century forward... I've seen casually on the net this 1934 poster of the Catalunya v Italy match, ended 5-5. On the side the report of the game, from the historical on line archive of newspaper "La Stampa" from Turin. "Twenty thousands spectators"!

Image ... Image
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Thu, 14 Dec 2017, 09:52

Canalina wrote:Thanks Gambass. Just no written rules at all, for no one of the various versions of the game?
I fancied to replay with friends a game according to the then-a-days rules, with heavy ball, without the permission of running with it and without tries.

You can find some written rules here and there (like the interdiction of ball handling per exemple), but I d'ont think, you could find a full comprehensive set of rules. And in any case, it will be only valid for one school.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 07:45

A list of East Germany test match results
http://www.sport-record.de/rugby_union/ ... sv-nm.html

The prologue adverts that...
The listing of the rugby international matches of the GDR proves to be difficult for several reasons:
- the DRSV had no association newspaper, the reporting in the newspapers was low,
- Following the 1969 DTSB competitive sports decision, rugby, like other non-medal sports at the Olympics, was no longer promoted and international sports traffic was restricted, so rugby was barely taking place in the media,
- After 1969, the opponents of the DRSV selection were often not the national teams of each country, so these games do not count as an international match.
This list is aligned with the following rugby associations: DEN, NED, ROU, SRB (for YUG) and SWE. The matches against POL were compared with the book "Encyclopedia polskiego rugby" by Maciej Powała-Niedźwiecki and Jacek Wierzbicki, the matches against TCH with the books "60 Let Československého Ragby" and "75 Let Českého Ragby" by Petr Skála.
Special thanks go to Vesso Stoyanov from the Bulgarian rugby association, who provided data on the tournaments and games in Bulgaria.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 15 Jan 2018, 22:07

In some XIX century rugby photos, like the one below from 1893, you may see a player collocated a bit far from the other, under his posts, acting like a goalkeeper.
It seems a collocation a bit pointless if the opponents can score also kicking above the bar or running into the try-area on the side of the posts, but that position would have a sense if the opponents may run into a try only between the posts, like in soccer.
Do you know if during a period of the rugby history there was the obligation to score a try just through the posts?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rugby_pio ... 813830555/

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 10:53

I bought in New Zealand!
Excellent book!

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 06 Feb 2018, 22:07

Wow! Nice find!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 18:33

I bought a game shirt for the Russian team of the 90s ...

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum