Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 13:21

An easy pool always means a shitty quarterfinal. But in our case, with a team that will arrive to Hong Kong seriously unprepared, it's the best possible news.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby LeesLegends » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 13:29

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Let's see what the draw for Hong Kong looks like in a couple of hours.

In ceterum censeo, that the NA-teams shouldn't be there, but form a qualification group with SA instead to form a competition with more teams. For the two remaining places have a runners-up tournament with:
Georgia, Italy, Portugal (Europe)
South Korea, China (Asia)
Madagascar, Zimbabwe, Tunisia (Africa)
Cook Islands (Oceania)
Colombia, Brazil, Guyana (Americas).

But good for all the participating teams that two more or less hobby rugger teams are in there. Does anybody knows something about the state of rugby in Guyana or Jamaica?

I'm all for more rugby sevens but you're looking at too many tournaments now. Regional tournaments leading into a world qualifier is a good streamlined system, that even I can understand, and it allows for representation from all parts of the globe. It may mean that two spots are essentially wasted with GUY and JAM but that's how teams improve, with opportunity.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby LeesLegends » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 13:30

Armchair Fan wrote:An easy pool always means a shitty quarterfinal. But in our case, with a team that will arrive to Hong Kong seriously unprepared, it's the best possible news.

You'd have to be glad you've avoided Uganda and Chile. Well, at least for the first day :D

Gonna be exciting, I can't pick a favourite.

Hope the next 3 weeks fly fast!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 14:52

LeesLegends wrote:I'm all for more rugby sevens but you're looking at too many tournaments now. Regional tournaments leading into a world qualifier is a good streamlined system, that even I can understand, and it allows for representation from all parts of the globe. It may mean that two spots are essentially wasted with GUY and JAM but that's how teams improve, with opportunity.

A repechage qualifier would actually lead to more opportunity for more teams, but I can understand where you are coming from. It is true that rugby is a fair bit more complicated than other sports ;-)
Guyana simply sounds like at a total waste of a place for opportunity, but maybe they are good enough to add the exotic flavour.
It is maybe because I think in general, that the Americas should merge in all of their qualification structures as there is not enough depth compared to Africa or Europe.

But back to 7s :D

Not sure what to say about Uganda. They where nice to watch in Dubai and South Africa, but in the end their two victories were against Japan, who was really weak that two tournaments. Then Uganda failed to beat Canada twice. If they can keep that up, they should be up to the level of Spain, Hong Kong and Germany.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 15:50

...Chile has to be red hot favourites after their showing in Vegas and Vancouver.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 17:23

World Rugby needs another southamerican Team in the WS , so they know what to do!

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 19:08

LeesLegends wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:In ceterum censeo, that the NA-teams shouldn't be there, but form a qualification group with SA instead to form a competition with more teams. For the two remaining places have a runners-up tournament with:
Georgia, Italy, Portugal (Europe)
South Korea, China (Asia)
Madagascar, Zimbabwe, Tunisia (Africa)
Cook Islands (Oceania)
Colombia, Brazil, Guyana (Americas).

But good for all the participating teams that two more or less hobby rugger teams are in there. Does anybody knows something about the state of rugby in Guyana or Jamaica?

I'm all for more rugby sevens but you're looking at too many tournaments now. Regional tournaments leading into a world qualifier is a good streamlined system, that even I can understand, and it allows for representation from all parts of the globe. It may mean that two spots are essentially wasted with GUY and JAM but that's how teams improve, with opportunity.

I would invite Spain, Portugal and Italy to the South American Sevens Series.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 19:19

NaBUru38 wrote:

Just out of interest: why did you randomly chose them? You skipped 2 from the 3 best non-World-Series-teams on the continent?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 19:24

germanbullsfan wrote:World Rugby needs another southamerican Team in the WS , so they know what to do!

I don't know why, but recently I get the feeling that you missed to insert "hit" before "fan" in your profilname.

Instead of getting a tinfoil hat, you should realize that World Rugby would give everything to have Germany in there with Spain or Hong Kong a tied 2nd marketingwise.
They couldn't care less about a country like Chile.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 19:41

Yes. WR wants China, Brazil and Germany. Spain is welcome. And they would love to keep Japan. It will be good the day the SWS is too small for everybody that wants to enter. It would be a good problem. But I am cheering for both, Chile and Uruguay, of course.

That is why I would love to see Wales, Scotland and England merged for sevens. They play together in the competition that matters the most, the Olympics, they could do it a permanent thing opening 2 more spots. With the Premiership/PRO12/Six Nations British fans are not desperate to see their teams in the Sevens Series. For me Great Britain would work the same.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby LeesLegends » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 06:57

RugbyLiebe wrote:It is maybe because I think in general, that the Americas should merge in all of their qualification structures as there is not enough depth compared to Africa or Europe.

Good point

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 15:39

RugbyLiebe wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

Just out of interest: why did you randomly chose them? You skipped 2 from the 3 best non-World-Series-teams on the continent?

They are Latin countries. It's more interesting for us than Germany, Russia, Romania or Georgia.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 16:48

NaBUru38 wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

They are Latin countries. It's more interesting for us than Germany, Russia, Romania or Georgia.

Ah, I see. Teams invited based on racism. Fair enough, but will never happen. :twisted:
But to be more serious: Interesting? Why should a Portuguese side be more interesting to anyone than a Georgian or a German side? It's not that those tournaments are audience magnets to begin with. Following your argument you should invite the Caribbean sides. They are not only "latin" but also on your continent (or close to it).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 19:53

NaBUru38 wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

if italy is considered latin so has to be romania

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 22:55

If I were Paraguay, Peru or Colombia I would be pissed of Sudamérica Rugby inviting development teams from other continents. If we want to receive teams from other continent, let's organize open sevens tournament, like Roma Sevens or Oktoberfest Sevens in Europe, Safari Sevens in Africa. And that is what Punta Sevens was for many years!

But we need our own regional sevens. I miss the old South America Sevens Championship. It became a mess.

I would like to see at least 8 South American teams in the Sudamerica Rugby Sevens Series. And a paralel tournament with 8 invited teams, between national teams and Argentina province. The winners of both, the South Amercan Champinship and the Invitational Tournament could play a final. It is like to have a 16-teams tournament in a Round 2 (in Punta).

In the Round 2 (Viña) the 4 best South American teams of Round 1 could be joined by those invitational teams, but with the 4 South Americans together in the same group on day 1, playing for the South American Championship, as a final tournament. And in day 2 they face those international teams. Meanwhile, the 4 worst South American teams of Round 1 play together on Round 2 for a Challenge Trophy.

Something like this. You need at least 4 international teams to make it happen. USA, Canada + 2.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 04:13

But to be more serious: Interesting? Why should a Portuguese side be more interesting to anyone than a Georgian or a German side? It's not that those tournaments are audience magnets to begin with. Following your argument you should invite the Caribbean sides. They are not only "latin" but also on your continent (or close to it).

I believe NaBUru's idea is quite obvious: the whole South America was part of the Spanish or Portuguese Empires. Of course Spain and Portugal are more interesting to South American public. Italy is also pretty obvious, as half of Uruguayan and Argentine population and also millions of Brazilians are of Italian origin, as Italy was by far the country with more immigrants that came to South America (the number of South American sportmen using Italian passports is not random). Look at the family names of South American sportsmen.

There was a big German immigration too to Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay but not as big as the Italian. However, there are no Georgians and very few Romanians here...

The only Latin Caribbean countries are Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico and none of them is even a World Rugby member. All the rugby-playing Caribbean (+ Guyana, if you ask) is British. Also French-speaking countries are not considered Latin America (French is a Latin language, but Latin America refers to the Spanish Empire countries + Brazil).

Of course I believe would be great to have Germany or Georgia or anybody else in the Series. But it was not a randon or racist choice from NaBUru, I believe he was simply suggesting to use those cross-Atlantic historical connections (same languages, families backgrounds) to attract some attention to the series, nothing else.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 04:36

“Having staged a successful Sudamérica Rugby Sevens Series, the plan is to add two Rugby Americas North regional tournaments to the schedule and form a Pan-American Sevens Series – a further sign of the growth of the game in the Americas”.

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/news/215628

NaBUru posted this news before. The plan is to play two more legs in December, expanding the competition from 8 to 12 teams. USA, Canada and Mexico are mentioned as possible hosts (Canada in December seems unlikely).

http://www.referi.uy/el-balance-seven-p ... o-n1018120

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 07:06

So the HK World Series Qualifier started today.
Uganda pulled a 29-0 win against Tonga. Next up is Germany 10:04 German time who defeated Jamaica 31:12 (half-time 24:0).

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 08:51

RugbyLiebe wrote:So the HK World Series Qualifier started today.
Uganda pulled a 29-0 win against Tonga. Next up is Germany 10:04 German time who defeated Jamaica 31:12 (half-time 24:0).

Germany look very strong. I actually think they could make the final. Good old chap Graham Bentz must have really done a number on the boys to ensure their fitness is up to per. ;)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 09:52

24:0 against Uganda is a good result for Germany. Thought that it would be much closer. Couldn't see the game yet, what happened?
Hope they can keep this good form up. If we really made it to the World Series (and that's the clear goal) this would be a really big step for rugby in Germany.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 10:04

RugbyLiebe wrote:24:0 against Uganda is a good result for Germany. Thought that it would be much closer. Couldn't see the game yet, what happened?
Hope they can keep this good form up. If we really made it to the World Series (and that's the clear goal) this would be a really big step for rugby in Germany.

Yep, Kenya is currently fighting a relegation battle. I hope we pull through and make it to next years series.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 10:09

RugbyLiebe wrote:24:0 against Uganda is a good result for Germany. Thought that it would be much closer. Couldn't see the game yet, what happened?

They absolutely smashed them, really strong performance. Fromm was tanking through the middle every time, Calitz had a few good breaks in the middle, great offloading across the team, and they finished their chances well when the space appeared out wide. Also boxed uganda deep in their half a lot a lot so they had to kick. Had to scramble once or twice in defence but it came off.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 10:46

Neptune wrote:Yep, Kenya is currently fighting a relegation battle. I hope we pull through and make it to next years series.

They'll be fine, Japan and Russia are too far behind to be a threat.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 11:55

After day1:
All favourites went through easily. Chile, HongKong, Spain, PNG and Germany are already qualified for the quarters (Germany because they are at worst the best 3rd overall).
Also Uganda should most likely be there.

Basically direct playoff for the best 3rd places between Nambibia vs. Sri Lanka and Uruguay vs. Guyana.

Biggest surprise is that Tonga seems far behind. 0:29 against Uganda and "just" 14:5 against Jamaica. If Namibia&Uruguay win and they lose against Germany they should be out of the tournament due to the point difference´. If they win against Germany, all three best teams of this group will go to the quarters - ranked on points difference.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 13:00

Any official stream available?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum