Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 11:32

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Does anybody read | hear | know
when, why and how
North Amercian 2nd spot at WS Qualifiers
was transferred to Europe,
allowing my native Georgia
to make list of 12 for HKG 2018 :?:

No idea. Was still in place in 2017 and if I'm not wrong also when the European qualifiers started (remembered that I was happy we kept the place we had to qualify).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 13:17

I only read that during the Rugby Americas North Sevens. I coudn't remember to see it released by WR or RE.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 13:28

I wonder whether it is RE's master stroke --
truly their greatest achievement this far:
robbing another, poor regional body of a slot

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 14:57

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:I wonder whether it is RE's master stroke --
truly their greatest achievement this far:
robbing another, poor regional body of a slot

Actually I wouldn't call it a robbing. Europe has by far the most active Unions. I don't see the reason why North and South America won't come together to form the Americas. Neither in 15s nor in 7s they will ever be strong enough to play against each other on a high level.
But they will be a force (also in numbers) together - being as strong as Africa and Europe. Cayman Islands and Guyana added a nice flavour, but they were also a present to everyone in their group with lead to all the time the 3rd from their very group qualifying for the final stages.
One of those nations is great, was always competitive and the right thing to do, but two makes no sense.

And the other hand: maybe we should talk about a split to form Western and Eastern Europe - maybe we get another spot then 8-)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 17:43

I think the question is when it changed? RAN had 1 place since the Qualy was revealed? That is what we are missing.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby The Captain's Run » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 18:40

The Americas should hold a joint qualifying tournament for three spots. North America's results in the Hong Kong qualifiers have been dreadful, a combined 1-29 record in pool play since 2013 without a single appearance in the knockout rounds of a tournament where 2/3 of the teams advance. South America has the quality but lack in numbers - only five teams in this year's Sudamerica Sevens were competing to qualify for the Hong Kong Sevens. Combining their qualifiers seems like a "two birds, one stone" sort of solution, so I guess it makes too much sense to ever happen. I guess RAN would be hesitant to essentially give up their spot in Hong Kong most years but the increase in the caliber of competition at the regional level would be really beneficial for these nations.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 00:10

I believe it will be this. It has been promised an Americas Sevens Series, sevens version of the Americas Rugby Chamopionship. It is supposed to be in November/December.

The Americas will be run as a sole continent. The only reason why Sudamérica Rugby and Rugby Americas North will never be merged is because it would be fool to give up from WR Council votes.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 15:13

The Captain's Run wrote: South America has the quality but lack in numbers - only five teams in this year's Sudamerica Sevens were competing to qualify for the Hong Kong Sevens.

Not correct. The Bolivarian Games served as Sudamerica Sevens qualifier, with Paraguay claiming the spot.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 02:13

Yep. It had two phases. 1st phase = Bolivarian Games. Final phase = Sudamérica Rugby Sevens. In other words, 7 of the 9 countries that could play for it. Only Costa Rica and Guatemala missed it. The others are not WR members and I believe woudn't be able to be in the HK7s.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 03:19

thatrugbyguy wrote: I just feel like in both the sevens and fifteens we're locked into a perpetual cycle of restrictiveness.

World Rugby really need to consider 3 teams being relegated in the future, because one is just not enough chances for the sport to grow.

But that would punish competitive teams as well. I think that the best solution is expansion.

However, a simple 20-team tournament would not be interesting.
Instead, I propose to have a 16-team main tournament and a 4-team Challenge group.
There would be 18 core teams, and each tournament would have two wildcard teams.

The top two Challenge group teams and the two Bowl semifinals losers would advance to a Challenge repechage.
The two Challenge repechage winners would get promoted to the next main tournament, and the two losers would get relegated to the next Challenge group.

Therefore, the wildcard teams would play similarly ranked teams, and the core teams would play to avoid droping to the Challenge group.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 04:23

My argument to that is tough luck. If you're good enough you won't get relegated, if you're not then you've got no-one to blame but yourselves.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 09:35

Moscow officially bidding for leg of the World Series.
Bid for women's leg not ruled out.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 09:37

Sochi rumoured bid is ditched then?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 11:43

Could the case be made to expand the number of tournaments to 12? Europe could host 4 legs easily.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 21:54

I think WR would like a 3rd European tournament + 1 South American tournament.

I would enjoy something like a Final 4 or Final 6 tournament too in the end of series (a different venue every year), to keep mid table disputes alive until the end.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 23:19

Now that I think about it. It would be interesting to have an official explanation from World Rugby about why Georgia did take part in Hong Kong 7s, because it will be key for next European Grand Prix Series. If there are only two spots and not three, this summer series will become a massacre between Germany, Ireland and whoever gets relegated.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 23:37

thatrugbyguy wrote:Could the case be made to expand the number of tournaments to 12? Europe could host 4 legs easily.

The series should be looking to grow to 12 stops. Potentially in time as many as 16 if you ask me. There appears to be growing interest from groups to look at 'global leagues' and we already have one that's long established. And that's something we should be looking to build upon. In terms of team numbers. I think 20 is probably as big as it should grow in regards to the men's side. Like to see the women's side run alongside the men's with at least 12 regular teams playing.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 06:27

If you go to 20 you have to make it 5 groups of 4. You can't fit 40 games into one day.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 25 Apr 2018, 12:37

thatrugbyguy wrote:If you go to 20 you have to make it 5 groups of 4. You can't fit 40 games into one day.

My proposal adds just 8 matches.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Apr 2018, 15:04

If you go to 20 you have to make it 5 groups of 4. You can't fit 40 games into one day.

Or 24 teams with 8 groups of 3. But this means more costs. That is the point. I am not sure how profitable the Series is.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 07:26

Well, if we didn’t know Russia deserved to go before, we do now. Goodbye Sevens World Series! (Well done AF)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 08:50

Thanks.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 17:53

Based on what I'm seeing in Singapore...are they down another 20% in ticket sales...looks worse than last year.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 07:12

TheStroBro wrote:Based on what I'm seeing in Singapore...are they down another 20% in ticket sales...looks worse than last year.

I'd be shocked if it stayed at this point. WR would ditch it for a Spanish leg in an instant.

What do we think more generally about where the legs are going to be next year?

I reckon that they may expand once again to 11 stops, either that or a team numbers may be expanded.

Octoberfest will be the first event of the season, Dubai, Sydney, Cape Town, London, Paris, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Hong Kong are going nowhere. Wellington is at risk, but likely to keep it due to politics. Singapore will surely be culled, but I can't see WR being emotional and choosing Suva over Oktoberfest or elsewhere.

WR may expand the SWS to 20, seeing as it is relatively low cost (just £2.6m/yr atm for the entire SWS), with 5 team groups and the 5ths having their own finals.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum