Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 19 May 2018, 11:45

Last year Italy did also achieve its best result in Moscow and then nothing. So let's wait a bit before getting overexcited.

They are in a pool of big names but not so big squads.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:18

Shock as Germany beat the hosts in Moscow QF.

I find referees to be extremely ill-positioned during the whole tournament so far, quite a few breaks provoked by them being in the middle and seem unable to catch non-straight lineouts.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:47

Armchair Fan wrote:Shock as Germany beat the hosts in Moscow QF.

I find referees to be extremely ill-positioned during the whole tournament so far, quite a few breaks provoked by them being in the middle and seem unable to catch non-straight lineouts.

Surprising by the results this weekend. Not a shocker at all by the latest results. 10 of those 12 Germans were part of the best team at the HK 7s Qualifier, which finished as Runner Ups.
So how strong are Ireland and Portugal in perspective? We will find out in the semis ;-)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 20 May 2018, 16:28

So Ireland won it against Germany in the final.
They've got two players simply a level above the rest of the tournament with number 12 Kennedy and the speedster with number 1. Best result ever for Germany at a GPS tournament.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 29 May 2018, 17:15

Bolivia 0-92 Argentina in the South American Games today.

Just one point away from equalling New Zealand's 93-0 record set at the 1998 Commonwealth Games against the Bahamas in Malaysia.

Highest ever victory by an away team.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 May 2018, 02:15

Looks like 25% of the Sevens World Series players of the 15 core teams are not full professionals. 16% call themselves amateurs.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/tournaments/s ... erns-92157
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Wed, 30 May 2018, 16:48

Seems that around two thirds also see the benefit of a second-tier circuit, and I could see that having tournaments in two consecutive weeks would no doubt be a taxing proposition.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 11:31

Brett Gosper just confirmed that they're actively looking at creating a 2nd tier touring 7WS.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 12:11

Blurandski wrote:Brett Gosper just confirmed that they're actively looking at creating a 2nd tier touring 7WS.

Great

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 17:14

Looks like at least in the Americas they're moving towards an expansion of the second tier calling it Americas 7s. Whereas previously we'd just send the Falcons to SudAmerica 7s circuit.

First time we've looked good since Vegas, in fact only the second time we've looked good all season.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 19:35

This weekend it's the London Sevens. The wildcard team is Ireland.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 20:02

And they're in the quarterfinals. They destroyed us. Only an upset for those who don't follow anything else than World Series.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 16:03

We were on form in pool play...and then lose to Ireland...whom are ok...

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 17:23

Fair play to Ireland, they've almost overtaken Russia already!

Solid win for Fiji, was a bit disappointed by USA. What was wrong with Perry Baker? Anyone would miss him.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 17:25

So Ireland finished 3rd. From what I've seen the best players were the same as in the recent GPS.
I am not saying that Japan or Germany would have done better, but we are still talking about the 3rd ranked team in the HK qualifier here :shock:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 17:34

RugbyLiebe wrote:So Ireland finished 3rd. From what I've seen the best players were the same as in the recent GPS.
I am not saying that Japan or Germany would have done better, but we are still talking about the 3rd ranked team in the HK qualifier here :shock:

From today on , the german Sevensprogramm ist just a money burning sceme . They dont have the Physis , qualitiy game time and speedsters like Jordan Conway. While the Irish stun the Rugbyworld in London , the germans messaging pictures of there Lunch on Instagramm . You read it here first , the German will never qualifing fore anything important in the sevens circit . :lol:

Postby 4N » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 17:47

Impressive stuff Ireland. For a country that traditionally never cared much for 7s either.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 18:15

germanbullsfan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:So Ireland finished 3rd. From what I've seen the best players were the same as in the recent GPS.

From today on , the german Sevensprogramm ist just a money burning sceme . They dont have the Physis , qualitiy game time and speedsters like Jordan Conway. While the Irish stun the Rugbyworld in London , the germans messaging pictures of there Lunch on Instagramm . You read it here first , the German will never qualifing fore anything important in the sevens circit . :lol:

Yeah, but if him or Kennedy (?) get injured or decide they preder 15s for next year it is not. So stop your bloody negativity and try to be optimistic just until April. Then we talk again :P

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 19:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:
germanbullsfan wrote:

Yeah, but if him or Kennedy (?) get injured or decide they preder 15s for next year it is not. So stop your bloody negativity and try to be optimistic just until April. Then we talk again :P

If its not Ireland , than it will be Spain or even Russia ! I m just realistic , this have nothing to do with negativity . The whole of the german Rugby has such a established loser culture , impossible to break in the near future.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 17:55

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 06:59

germanbullsfan wrote: The whole of the german Rugby has such a established loser culture , impossible to break in the near future.

You understand the irony of your post, right? You want to break a loser culture by negativity (which is always the biggest tell sign for a loser culture).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 18:53

RugbyLiebe wrote:
germanbullsfan wrote: The whole of the german Rugby has such a established loser culture , impossible to break in the near future.

You understand the irony of your post, right? You want to break a loser culture by negativity (which is always the biggest tell sign for a loser culture).

As we say , only the hard flowers will go to the garden ! No place for snowflakes and runner ups !

National Flag:

Postby Deadtigers » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 00:36

German rugby is in a it of scrambles according to a friend of mine that coaches in Germany. The thing is they are soo close and would be a great addition to the circuit. More so than Ireland. I also think Berlin, Cologne or Hamburg would make better cities than Paris on the series.

Ireland have natural rugby pedigree but they did get lucky to make playoffs and catch a surprisingly flat USA side. I will give them credit for beating England. I don't expect the same this weekend.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 03:30

Deadtigers wrote:German rugby is in a it of scrambles according to a friend of mine that coaches in Germany. The thing is they are soo close and would be a great addition to the circuit. More so than Ireland. I also think Berlin, Cologne or Hamburg would make better cities than Paris on the series.

Ireland have natural rugby pedigree but they did get lucky to make playoffs and catch a surprisingly flat USA side. I will give them credit for beating England. I don't expect the same this weekend.

I can guarantee you the Irish winger Jordan Conroy will be a marked man in Paris. He will be lucky to make more than 3 tries.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 07:44

Deadtigers wrote:I also think Berlin, Cologne or Hamburg would make better cities than Paris on the series.

https://www.oktoberfest7s.com/en/

Munich is applying for the World Series. It was a great showcase tournament last year.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum