Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Neptune » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 00:19

Kenya wins the Safland 7s which was a preparation for the Dubai 7s.

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/kenya-7s-wins-safland-7s

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 13 Nov 2017, 12:12

Oceania Rugby released the final ranking of the two tournaments of the past weekend, probably they used points difference to untied the couples of teams which didn't play the play-off due to the weather.
In orange in this image the teams qualified to the 7s World Cup

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 20 Nov 2017, 11:07

Today and tomorrow Juegos Bolivarianos in Santa Marta, Colombia, with Colombia, Venezuela, Chile, Paraguay and Peru in the men's tournament.
I've read somewhere (probably in this forum) that the tournament is a barrage to access to the RWC7s' south american qualifying tournament, but I don't remember anymore how many of these teams will conquer the pass

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 20 Nov 2017, 18:18

According to a tweet, the rugby tournament at the Bolivarian Games has been suspended after some matches because "the pitch is not officially approved for competitive tournaments"

Schedule was https://s18.postimg.org/40n4egg21/boliv.jpg

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Mon, 20 Nov 2017, 21:35

It seems the matches that weren't played today may go ahead tomorrow.

2 matches were played today in both the men's and women's tournaments.

Men's results:
Colombia 47-0 Peru
Paraguay 24-0 Venezuela
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Mon, 20 Nov 2017, 22:01

Bolivia made their 7s début at the Copa Halcones Zicosur on 18th November in El Cadillal, Argentina:

They played group matches against Tucuman, Argentina Zicosur and Chile Development. Plenty of noise before the tournament, but (a common theme in small events like this), no results published afterwards...

They then had 2 placement matches.

Only Uruguay and Bolivia sent their full national teams. No idea what type of team Brazil sent. This is what I've been able to find: Bolivian scores were all given on a short video of the tournament by them - but they gave 19-0 for their defeat to Chile, while the Chileans reported it as being 42-0, so I'm not sure how trustworthy the results are...

Tucumán 31-5 Bolivia
Argentina Zicosur 7-31 Chile Development (also reported as 5-26)
Cuyo 19-12 Brazil Invitational
Uruguay 21-14 Tucumán Invitational
Tucumán 14-10 Chile Development
Argentina Zicosur 26-17 Bolivia
Uruguay 24-0 Cuyo
Tucumán Invitational ?-? Brazil Invitational
Tucumán ?-? Argentina Zicosur
Chile Development 42-0 Bolivia (also reported as 19-0!!!)
Uruguay 33-0 Brazil Invitational
Cuyo ?-? Tucumán Invitational

1ST-4TH
Tucumán ?-? Tucumán Invitational
Uruguay 15-0 Chile Development

7TH Place
Brazil Invitational 29-5 Bolivia

5TH Place
Argentina Zicosur v Cuyo

3RD Place
Tucumán Invitational 21-7 Chile Development

FINAL
Tucumán 21-7 Uruguay
Last edited by mcruic on Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 01:22

What I received is that Brazil played just 4 matches. Brazil vs Bolivia is the 7th place match and it was in fact Brazil 29-05 Bolivia.

The Brazilian team wasn't a Brazilian Rugby Union team. A former national team player Daniel Gregg organized the trip with players that are outside the Tupis now. Good team, but they traveled for fun, without training together before.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 12:15

victorsra wrote:What I received is that Brazil played just 4 matches. Brazil vs Bolivia is the 7th place match and it was in fact Brazil 29-05 Bolivia.

The Brazilian team wasn't a Brazilian Rugby Union team. A former national team player Daniel Gregg organized the trip with players that are outside the Tupis now. Good team, but they traveled for fun, without training together before.

Yes, I think the Bolivians edited the scores to make them look less bad...

I've changed the results now. It seems the 5-8 semifinals were not played, and just straight 5th and 7th place matches based on group position. The Brazil team was also labelled "Brazil Zicosur" in some places...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 21:47

Just one of my loose thoughts: why don't try to create a Six Nations 7s?
There's the traditional Six Nations, the U20s one, the women's one, there was the 6N for "A" teams; they could side them with a 6N 7s.
Just one weekend of play: all vs all, five matches per team and fifteen matches as total. It could be in one of the two last weekends of the XV tournament (to have a slightly better climate), in a place in France or England or maybe Scotland.
I'd like a similar tournament, even if -I know- there's the risk that the big crowd wouldn't be interested

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 21:55

Meanwhile the Juegos Bolivarianos are going ahead, apparently.
Today's results

Chile v Peru 40-0
Paraguay v Colombia 17-7
Peru v Paraguay 20-12
Chile v Venezuela 38-0
Venezuela v Peru 19-0
Chile v Colombia 10-0 ?

Standing
Chile 3-0
Paraguay 2-1
Colombia 1-2
Venezuela 1-2
Peru 1-3

Tomorrow Colombia v Venezuela, Chile v Paraguay; then semifinals and finals

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 03:40

Canalina wrote:Just one of my loose thoughts: why don't try to create a Six Nations 7s?
There's the traditional Six Nations, the U20s one, the women's one, there was the 6N for "A" teams; they could side them with a 6N 7s.
Just one weekend of play: all vs all, five matches per team and fifteen matches as total. It could be in one of the two last weekends of the XV tournament (to have a slightly better climate), in a place in France or England or maybe Scotland.
I'd like a similar tournament, even if -I know- there's the risk that the big crowd wouldn't be interested

Ireland's 7s program is only 3 years old. If it was not added to the Olympics, I doubt they'd have added it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 04:11

The Brazil team was also labelled "Brazil Zicosur" in some places...

Yes. "Zicosur" = Zone of Integration of the South American Centre-West. That is the name of the tournament. It is just to show it is a team NOT organized by the Brazilian Rugby Union.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 11:54

TheStroBro wrote:
Canalina wrote:Just one of my loose thoughts: why don't try to create a Six Nations 7s?

Ireland's 7s program is only 3 years old. If it was not added to the Olympics, I doubt they'd have added it.

This would be the biggest catastrophy possible for Rugby and 7s. What we definitely don't need is another protectionist closed shop tournament. I am actually shocked, how you can even think about something like this, Canalina. What is the sense and need for that, apart from more discrimination of others outside the closed shop?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 13:47

It would be just a one weekend tournament, it wouldn't have any effect on the 7s world spreading. At the opposite, I think it would result semi-ignored by the big public and enjoyed just by some rugby nerd like me. The aim would be just to give to the 7s players too the pleasure to play in the Six Nations. Anyway I think they will never organize it : )

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 16:59

TheStroBro wrote:

Not sure what point you're trying to make exactly but if it's an issue of competitiveness, Ireland's caught up pretty quickly. I won't be surprised if they qualify for the Series next year. Italy is the bigger issue on that front as they don't seem to have any dedicated sevens program whatsoever. Ireland can hang with the Sevens Series core teams, but there's no reason to include Italy over more proven teams like Russia, Spain, and Portugal.

The biggest reason this is a non-starter though is the timing - right in the middle of the Sevens Series, when players need rest rather than another tournament.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 00:14

The Captain's Run wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Not sure what point you're trying to make exactly but if it's an issue of competitiveness, Ireland's caught up pretty quickly. I won't be surprised if they qualify for the Series next year. Italy is the bigger issue on that front as they don't seem to have any dedicated sevens program whatsoever. Ireland can hang with the Sevens Series core teams, but there's no reason to include Italy over more proven teams like Russia, Spain, and Portugal.

The biggest reason this is a non-starter though is the timing - right in the middle of the Sevens Series, when players need rest rather than another tournament.

Oh no, they're good. It was more of an answer to the question on why it may not exist.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 21:05

Five of the six nations played at the 2017 Grand Prix Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Rugb ... mpionships

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 21:26

2017 Bolivarian Games

Rugby Sevens - Men's Tournament - Monday 20th to Wednesday 22nd

Colombia 47 x 00 Peru

Paraguay 27 x 00 Venezuela

Chile 40 x 00 Peru

Colombia 07 x 17 Paraguay

Paraguay 12 x 20 Peru

Chile 38 x 00 Venezuela

Peru 00 x 19 Venezuela

Chile 24 x 00 Colombia

Colombia 12 x 17 Venezuela

Chile 29 x 07 Paraguay

Semifinals

Chile 26 x 05 Colombia

Paraguay 19 x 05 Venezuela

Bronze Medal

Colombia 12 x 05 Venezuela

Final - God Medal

Chile 24 x 05 Paraguay

With the result Paraguay joined Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Brazil and Colombia in Punta del Este and Viña del Mar Sevens next January, i. e. the South American Sevens Series

National Flag:

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Sat, 25 Nov 2017, 03:09

^^ I'm wondering why Scotland isn't at the Grand Prix, or any European tournament for that matter. I know the Women's team does take place in Rugby Europe tournaments.

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 25 Nov 2017, 20:40

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 25 Nov 2017, 21:55

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Mens and womens results so far from Mexico at https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/events/r ... 4d30a-3db9

Live stream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uWMU-3v_Eg

Many results not corresponding with livestream.

No idea why results are always mucked up...

Livestream has:
Mexico 40-0 Curaçao (website says 61-0) - WEBSITE APPEARS TO BE CORRECT
Jamaica 26-7 Dominican Republic (website says 26-0) - WEBSITE APPEARS TO BE CORRECT - DR got 7 points for nothing on the livestream it seems...
Bermuda 31-14 Dominican Republic (website says 19-14)
BVI 29-7 Curaçao (website says 31-7)
Mexico 19-7 Trinidad & Tobago (website says 19-12)

For women:
Trinidad & Tobago 22-19 French Guiana (website says 24-14)
Mexico 24-7 Jamaica (website says 22-7)
Dominican Republic 47-0 Bermuda (website says 40-0) - WEBSITE IS CORRECT

Also Jamaica 12-9 Guyana was there (since changed to 12-19)...

I think I'll go with the website scores, as they've been correct in the matches I've checked, while the score on the livestream has been wrong.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 25 Nov 2017, 23:57

Quite strange format in men's competitions: they had 10 teams and formed three groups composed by 3/3/4 teams (two groups of five would have appeared more logic, I think); after day one they took the best two teams of each group and formed two other pools of three teams each (Guy, Ber, T&T/ Jam, Cay, Mex), while the remaining four teams (Bar, Cur, Bvi, Rdm) will be involved in a round robin for the 7th/10th positions. The two tomorrow's pools of three teams will conduce to the 5th place final (3rd v 3rd), third place final (2nd v 2nd) and Cup final (winner of one pool v winner of the other pool)

Thank you Ser Podrick for the links

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 08:00

Quite strange format in men's competitions: they had 10 teams and formed three groups composed by 3/3/4 teams (two groups of five would have appeared more logic, I think)

They had 11 teams, to say the truth. Appears that St.Vincent&Grenadines retired at the last moment

About 7s World Cup, here it is a sort of historical ranking based on 1) World Cup participations (seven men's editions+three women's editions included San Francisco), 2) sum of the placements

1 New Zealand 10 participations (sum of the placements: 22)
2 England 10 (32)
3 Australia 10 (33)
4 South Africa 10 (43)
5 France 10 (82)
6 Canada 10 (89)
7 USA 10 (93)
8 Japan 10 (121)
9 Fiji 9
10 Ireland 8

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 18:37

Just to say:

Livestream for second day of RAN7s is here:
FIELD 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqk_T7M_Y0
FIELD 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnNrG2Z8sI

Again, don't pay any attention to the on-score screen - it is operated by someone who has no idea what they are doing... About 6 or 7 of the scores yesterday were wrong, and they're continuing in the same vein today.

Trinidad & Tobago-Bermuda just finished - 22-19 according to FMRU, but 27-14 according to the score on screen...

National Flag:

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 00:42

Congratulations to Jamaica! They will appear in two tournaments for the first time ever: the Rugby World Cup Sevens and the Commonwealth Games sevens.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum