Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 16 Apr 2017, 16:31

grande wrote:Watching the highlights... Not a great turnout in Singapore. Not a great turnout for the Sunwolves there, either. I wonder how many people will be at that Scotland/Italy game this summer?

I went to some of the first WSS tournaments at Twickenham, the turnout there was low at first especially for the pool games on day 1. In fact the first day of pool matches was even moved to The Stoop (Harlequins FC) one time I went.

It could take time to build a large fanbase.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Deadtigers » Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 15:40

A guy in the other rugby form that lives in Singapore said that it was pretty good attendance. The national stadium seats 55K so it is tough for it to look full. When you consider there loads of people on the Concourse and all, the turnout was pretty. The key is what was the 2 day total and tickets sold.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 18 Apr 2017, 00:09

Coloradoan wrote:
grande wrote:Holy shit! I couldn't watch the games, as they were in the middle of the night, but like... What happened? Were Canada & the US just firing on all cylinders yesterday?

This is a great result... It's good to see Canada's men doing well.

On another note, I just realised, NZ haven't won a cup at all this season; not since Vancouver 2016, over a year ago. They're currently in 4th, their worst position since 08-09. Pretty crazy.

Congrats to Canada.

For NZ, they could still even finish 5th. USA only 9 points behind them with 2 legs left.

US got a tough draw for Paris but in the end they sort of control their fate. Argentina can upset NZ (and US). But if US can send NZ down to the trophy and finish top, could close That gap.

Bigger concern is that US bombed in Paris last year and we heard interviews with friday about guys struggling with the food provided in Paris and the event not being organized well in its first year. Hope they come prepared.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 18 Apr 2017, 02:51

9 points a bit of a hump, but, win the pool, get to the semi-finals and that closes the gap a bit.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Mon, 22 May 2017, 06:22

Congrats to Scotland on the win on the weekend! Wellington is has lost the NZ 7s, which isn't really surprising considering the downward spiral of the tourny for many years. In my view its a good decision to change the scenery it had run its course there.

Hamilton has it for a two year contract, differences from Welllington;
- Smaller city Hamilton has about 230k, Wellington 410k
- No international airport- 1.5hrs to Auckland Airport on a good day; also less accommodation
- FMG/Waikato Stadium Capacity is at 26,000 + some temporary, Westpac Stadium 34,000
- No warm up room next to field- teams will have to warm up on surrounding fields
- By far the smallest city on the circuit, Wellington was already

I say good luck to them and I hope the tourny gets more people, my thoughts are is that its just keeping the tourny warm for Auckland once the 9's leave...

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 23 May 2017, 21:47

England, Wales and Scotland Sevens to permanently combine as Great Britain
http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... ky-sources

Other changes include reducing the number of teams taking part in the series from 16 to 12, which would suit Great Britain participating as it would take two teams out of the equation - though concerns have been raised about the circuit being watered down if World Rugby retain the 16-nation series and force three of its high-performing teams to combine.

Another change would be starting the series in London in August to combat the current length of the off-season which lasts from June to December, with Hong Kong - the series' flagship tournament - becoming the last stop of the calendar.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 23 May 2017, 23:28

Considering how Sevens is the most popular form of rugby in some unusual nations it would be stupid to reduce World Series from 16 to 12 teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Wed, 24 May 2017, 10:31

That's to wrong get way to promote the game

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 24 May 2017, 17:25

If UK did combine I think you could argue for moving to 14 teams (i.e. same number of non-UK teams) then slowly expanding back out to 16 to maintain quality.

Moving London & Paris to August would probably be a good thing whatever happens. Weather is more reliable, though not totally, and also expands the weeks with rugby on whilst reducing competition between rugby events at a very congested time.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Thu, 25 May 2017, 02:42

Boo.

Independence for all the home nations and get rid of this GB nonsense...
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 25 May 2017, 03:56

Maybe they should combine GB the year before the Olympics so they have a year to play together but the other 3 years are Scotland, Wales, England. That also allows the Olympic host nation to be invited for the full series along with any other qualifiers.

I can understand the idea for them but it goes against a lot of tradition. And Scotland showed there is no reason they cant be competitive on their own. The depth of 7s has certainly improved. I remember watching 7s in 2008 or 2009 and feeling like there were clearly only maybe ~4-6 strong teams that were miles ahead and a few lucky teams rotating into the Cup round on day 2 out of the remaining 10 on mostly luck. But these days I would argue there are still 2-3 dominant teams but maybe 8-10 more than can be competitive every tournament. But there is still definitely a drop off at around 11 or 12 teams.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Thu, 25 May 2017, 04:29

If WR do reduce it to 12 teams you could say it was inevitable but a very poor choice for the global development of the game. It was inevitable as you can see the changes over the last few years to bring the WSS inline with the Olympic format such as the change in the trophy names. In my view 7s shouldn't be held back by regulations that only 12 teams should complete in the Olympics. 12 teams is a messy format in my view, and 16 is the right number, and to say the series would be watered down by the removal of a net two teams is poor vision and shows a lack of understanding. There are 5+ teams plus that would be worthy to take part in the series.

However if WR were to decrease the teams to 12, but also introduce a 12 team 2nd tier series I'd be less annoyed but still concerned by the direction of the series. I'd prefer the series staying as the same format and introducing a 12 team 2nd tier series. Scotland and Wales have really never taken their 7s seriously and they've basically done not much besides Wales World Cup win in 2009 and Scotland's wins in the last two series.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:07

When other sports are expanding, WR is behaving like his small brother cricket and trying to reduce. :(

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:26

The only way 12 teams is acceptable is if there is a 2nd division of 12 too played together in the same stadiums of the 1st division. And it would get more interesting if relegation and promotion between both division happen every block of 2 tournaments. Any other way is crap and will f*ck development nations.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 25 May 2017, 15:41

I had assumed they meant 12 core teams but still 16 in each tournament. So 4 are invited. Maybe I didnt read it too carefully. 3 groups of 4 is a really crappy format in my view.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 26 May 2017, 02:53

Suiram wrote:I had assumed they meant 12 core teams but still 16 in each tournament. So 4 are invited. Maybe I didnt read it too carefully. 3 groups of 4 is a really crappy format in my view.

It's so it fits more in with the Olympic format. But I 'm not a fan. If the three UK teams merge to become GB then it should be used as a prime opportunity to get the likes of Germany who are right on the edge into the series as a core nations among others.

They need it to stay at 16 teams while looking to building either a parallel 2nd division or really looking to develop the current regional circuits as a means to further develop depth as a means of making the case for 16 teams in future Olympics.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 26 May 2017, 04:57

12 teams is just an awkward number to work with unless you turn it from 4 groups of 3 into 2 groups of 6, but you'd have to stretch each series out to 3 days, there's no way you can ask players to play 5 matches in one day. As for a GB team, I'm not against it, but it will certainly feel odd. I agree though 16 is the best options for the sevens, I don't like the 3 groups of 4 format.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 26 May 2017, 12:51

I truly hate the twelve team format. Frig, look at the upcoming WRWC. You have Canada & New Zealand in one group, and odds are only one of them is going through to the knock out rounds unless they kick the shit out of the smaller teams in their group.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 26 May 2017, 13:26

If team GB want to merge to cut on costs, then let them do it by all means, but the core teams should be 16 in total. Germany, Uganda and relegated Japan should be given a chance to take those slots.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 26 May 2017, 14:41

Yep.

Sincerely, I really doubt the series will be reduced. That's Sky's speculation, probably won't happen. But the Team GB is not a new discussion, as Scotland recently almost shut down its sevens (and it is currently out of the European Grand Prix) and Wales has the pression to invest more in PRO12 (as the WRU took over the Dragons). That is really something that can happen.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 28 May 2017, 11:10

Quarterfinals in Amsterdam

Marauders (Int) v Italy
Nyenrode (Int) v Oxfam Crusaders (Gbr)
Susies Exiles (Ned) v Shandong (Chn)
Samurai (Int) v Projecx Waterboys (Sco)

48 teams involved. Poland, Irish Wolfhounds and Netherlands Academy, apparently the only other national selects, will finish out of the best twelve positions.

There's a live streaming from pitch one, the final game is fixed at 18.00 local time/CET
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEipjUu9DUY

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 28 May 2017, 22:44

Plenty of tournaments this weekend

In Amsterdam a Susies Exiles team with some fijians in it defeated Italy 19-5 in the final game. Third place for Samurai and Nyenrode, both multi-national teams.
Shandong (Chn) won the women's final ahead of Wales, with one or two couple of streakers irrupting on the field.

In France there was the Howard Hinton 7s, I think a South Africa select won the tournament but not sure. Too much events in the weekend to follow them all.

In St.Petersburg (Russia) there was the Euro Club 7s, with clubs coming from several nations. One per nation, I think. Livonia from Latvia, Helsinki from Finland, one of the Siauliai clubs from Lithuania, Mladost from Zagreb, a Minsk club from Belarus...
I couldn't find the results, though
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 02 Jun 2017, 17:19

Shrinking the Sevens World Series to 12 teams would be terrible. It would mean that a tier 2 team would be dropped.

Combining England, Scotland and Wales is a stupid idea, but it's their decision.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sun, 04 Jun 2017, 08:30

NaBUru38 wrote:Shrinking the Sevens World Series to 12 teams would be terrible. It would mean that a tier 2 team would be dropped.

Combining England, Scotland and Wales is a stupid idea, but it's their decision.

Plus Ireland is coming. Next year, in two years, in three years ... they will probably reach the WS. And with their pool of players, they will be, for sure, a decent team.
Going to 12 would be really bad ... or it's 12 core teams + 4 wild cards, as it was before ? With a second tier serie, that could be ok.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 07 Jun 2017, 09:46

Just stumpled about this. Team GB is the right choice, especially as the climax of 7s is the Olympics. If they reduce the numbers from 16 to 12 there is only one reaction: an eternal facepalm. This would be the most stupid decision ever made in any sport. :roll:

How the hell do you want to grow the game globally if you even close the 7s door?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum