Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 16:36

4N wrote:It’s because they play together in the Olympics. I really don’t think the RFU is looking to plunder SRU and WRU players and money. They want British government funding for 7s.

Also as others have pointed out, with the current teams in place Ireland is likely to replace a T2 union. GB would free up a couple of spots.

I know why its done, its wrong. Are England,wales and Scotland independent countries or not? they seem to want things both ways, if you want to join then join nations, as for the olympic they should be separate countries as well... .....Ireland shouldn't get a free ride in, other teams need to qualify.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 17:51

snapper37 wrote: I know why its done, its wrong. Are England,wales and Scotland independent countries or not? they seem to want things both ways, if you want to join then join nations, as for the olympic they should be separate countries as well... .....Ireland shouldn't get a free ride in, other teams need to qualify.

They shouldn't be separate in the first place, that is like Texas sending a team to the World Cup.

They are not independent countries since they are all part of one country; the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Furthermore, they are occupying valuable spots in the world series which could've helped other nations in their quest for Olympic qualification.

It's actually absurd to think that the UK has three teams that can help them to qualify for the Olympics, whereas the rest of us have to sit with only one team. What a farce.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 19:52

JLJordaan wrote:
snapper37 wrote: I know why its done, its wrong. Are England,wales and Scotland independent countries or not? they seem to want things both ways, if you want to join then join nations, as for the olympic they should be separate countries as well... .....Ireland shouldn't get a free ride in, other teams need to qualify.

They shouldn't be separate in the first place, that is like Texas sending a team to the World Cup.

They are not independent countries since they are all part of one country; the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Furthermore, they are occupying valuable spots in the world series which could've helped other nations in their quest for Olympic qualification.

It's actually absurd to think that the UK has three teams that can help them to qualify for the Olympics, whereas the rest of us have to sit with only one team. What a farce.

Bit ignorant. Wales is a country. Read the first line here; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales

And this from the same page;
The governments of the United Kingdom and of Wales almost invariably define Wales as a country.[103][104] The Welsh Government says: "Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right."

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 22:16

JLJordaan wrote:

Also, the UK don't send three teams to qualify for the Olympics, it only sends the highest ranked team from the previous year, which is England. So if Wales won the World Series, Scotland came second and England came 6th, then the UK wouldn't qualify for the Olympics.

Also, I don't think that the UK is united for any major sport, it's completely separate for football and rugby, the two major ones, then for Cricket there's England & Wales (which is styled as England), for basketball England and Scotland form GB, with NI and Wales separate. I think that ice hockey is the only sport where we're actually a united GB team.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 22:21

If Wales finished 1st, Scotland 2nd and England 6th I'd say GB would still qualify for the Olympics since England would still be Top 4 among those eligible for these spots :P

But I get it.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 00:20

sammo wrote:Bit ignorant. Wales is a country. Read the first line here; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales
And this from the same page;
The governments of the United Kingdom and of Wales almost invariably define Wales as a country.[103][104] The Welsh Government says: "Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right."

JLJordan didn't say Wales isn't a country. He said it isn't an independent country. You can call it a country if you like, but it still has less independence than a US state.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 02:52

snapper37 wrote:
4N wrote:It’s because they play together in the Olympics. I really don’t think the RFU is looking to plunder SRU and WRU players and money. They want British government funding for 7s.

Also as others have pointed out, with the current teams in place Ireland is likely to replace a T2 union. GB would free up a couple of spots.

I know why its done, its wrong. Are England,wales and Scotland independent countries or not? they seem to want things both ways, if you want to join then join nations, as for the olympic they should be separate countries as well... .....Ireland shouldn't get a free ride in, other teams need to qualify.

No, they are not independent countries. Scotland just voted to not become an independent country just a couple years ago.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 11:49

I see this weekend 7’s is very nearly a sell out.

Man this has been a good event since it’s come to Vancouver. World Rugby must rub their hands with glee with these sales. Great also for Canadian rugby, I hear the 7’s weekend is used as a tool to get several thousand youngsters into rugby.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 22:19

Armchair Fan is currently in the nearest Tattoo Shop asking how much would it cost to have this tattooed in his forehead :)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 22:23

I didn't do it for the girls, I won't do it for the boys. But I'm still pinching myself.

Postby 4N » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 22:34

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 10 Mar 2019, 00:48

Espana!!!!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 07:10

Europe risks to have no one team qualified to the Olympics via World Series
And Kenya strongly risks to be relegated

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 08:49

NedRugby wrote:
Canalina wrote:So there's the return of the Netherlands but the absence of Iceland, Belarus and Estonia, who played last year.
Conference 1 and Conference 2 have been merged

I don't see anything official from Rugby Nederland about the return of the men's 7s team. It doesn't mean it's not happening though, information isn't always in huge supply round here.

Quoting myself from last month. Rugby Nederland is now advertising for a 7s coach for its return to European competition in June. Not everyone likes 7s but I'm very pleased with this development.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 09:46

Canalina wrote:Europe risks to have no one team qualified to the Olympics via World Series
And Kenya strongly risks to be relegated

What happened to Kenya exactly? A lot of injuries or players simply getting too old?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 09:53

Mistreatment by union and players strike

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 12 Mar 2019, 02:02

2019 Hong Kong Sevens:

Why Portugal as the invited team?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Amargo » Tue, 12 Mar 2019, 04:50

http://www.fpr.pt/news-detail/10045843/
It says that Portugal was the better European team not taking part. I assume it can also be that is the only ex-core team not attending.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Tue, 12 Mar 2019, 05:03

ShyLockNo5 wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Somebody in World Rugby seems to have realised it was lunacy to keep inviting South Korea to Hong Kong 7s main pool and they've decided to call Portugal instead:
http://www.fpr.pt/news-detail/10045843/

South Korea used to be very good at 7s, and I think World Rugby hopes those days return. It's a rich market.
But the IRB blew it in the 1980s when they basically ignored Korea when they were Asia's best team. Soccer then really took off and that was it for rugby there.

It was known back in December that Portugal had replaced the 3rd best non-core team in asia. I guess I agree that they would be better than Sri Lanka or South Korea, but still those teams deserve a chance. They however have fallen below the level of the Philippines so I guess wouldn't be competitive enough.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 15:18

I dislike that group E has two Asian teams and group F has two European teams. The point of an intercontinental tournament is to have intercontinental matches.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 16:03

NaBUru38 wrote:I dislike that group E has two Asian teams and group F has two European teams. The point of an intercontinental tournament is to have intercontinental matches.

I agree. they should have been kept apart. Ireland and Hong Kong should just swap places

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 22:05

That is the obvious move.

For us I guess it's good RWC year coincides with Ireland's elevation to Core Team status.
If I remove my own allegiances (especially that of not wanting Ireland around once we get our best players back next year) I'd love to see another non-traditional team go up in Chile (or a few of the others, they're just the only team I could see Ireland losing a knockout game to).

Should be a fascinating tournament, the depth of quality has skyrocketed and this must truly be the first time it looks like a quality World Series Div B event.

Is Faka'osilea in the Tongan team?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 03:27

So, I think the final nail was put in the Vegas Coffin.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 03:41

Las Vegas might cease being a venue for the WSS. Which city is US thinking about? LA (2028 Olympics)?
Last edited by victorsra on Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 04:19

I do think LA is on the table.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum