Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby nick511 » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 06:58

As Victor said over on the Woman's forum the woman's series is expanding including at Hamilton. The other thing I noticed today in our news is the NZRU plans to alternate the Hamilton leg (both woman's and men's) from 2021 with Fiji (Suva). The reasons they gave for it including helping the Fijian Union, the love for the game there and to keep interest high for the Hamilton leg.

The concerns listed were the state of ANZ Stadium, the distance from local accommodation and Nadi International Airport (As their are only flights to & from Suva from Sydney & Auckland). But I hope this goes ahead as Fiji has for a long time deserved a leg of the series.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... ament.html

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby planet7s » Mon, 18 Mar 2019, 04:25

Here is our latest story on USA Rugby ... interviewing the guy who made The Pioneers. Nice guy called Bruce Southwick. Gentle giant.

https://planet7s.com/2019/03/18/the-pio ... gles-soar/

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Sun, 24 Mar 2019, 22:06

Are any nations using the olympic loophole in the 7s series this year to try to re-qualify any players?

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Mon, 25 Mar 2019, 01:23

Interesting question. Will try to find out. Could be an interesting write-up.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/hk-sev ... en-ryan-it

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 25 Mar 2019, 08:20

Immenso wrote:Are any nations using the olympic loophole in the 7s series this year to try to re-qualify any players?

Germany announced plans last November to get Manasah Sita (Zimbabwe) qualified.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Mon, 25 Mar 2019, 13:41

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Mon, 25 Mar 2019, 21:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Immenso wrote:Are any nations using the olympic loophole in the 7s series this year to try to re-qualify any players?

Germany announced plans last November to get Manasah Sita (Zimbabwe) qualified.

News reports end of last year that Samoa were looking to use the loophole.
But this article from February says that they no longer are:

https://sobserver.ws/en/12_02_2019/rugb ... -Samoa.htm

Jackson said the sevens loophole onced used by Tim Nanai-Williams to switch his international eligibility to Samoa will likely not be used this year, even though they have looked, and are still looking for opportunities.

Players capped by another nation that hold a Samoan passport and have completed a three year stand-down period, can become eligible to play 15s for the Manu if they play five tournaments on the current World Rugby Sevens Series.

The first of those five tournaments would have to be Vancouver in less than four weeks, in order for a player to join the World Cup campaign.

Jackson said there’s not a lot that can be done, unless players get release by their clubs to play those tournaments.

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 07:50

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 08:36

planet7s wrote:https://planet7s.com/2019/03/26/fiji-sevens-skipper-kalione-nasoko-signs-for-edinburgh/

Would you mind posting a short summary what's in your article. The way you post it now, is very close to simple spam.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 08:43

I wouldn't call it spam, but it's some kind of clickbait... if you copy the article's title it'd be enough, for me at least.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 10:48

rey200 wrote:I wouldn't call it spam, but it's some kind of clickbait... if you copy the article's title it'd be enough, for me at least.

Spam is maybe a bit harsh, but it now happened to me the second time, that I thought he simply posted a link which would further the conversation (Olympic loophole) and then it is something different.

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 14:40

There's so much sevens happening in all corners of the world... need to discover more!

https://planet7s.com/2019/03/26/austral ... oungsters/

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 00:47

That's three stories on Kalione Nasoko in one week ...

https://planet7s.com/2019/03/27/1232/

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Suiram » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 15:41

I'm just dropping some thoughts from catching up on the last few pages.

Olympic org takes far more effort to create a balanced and fair approach to olympic competition than WR. WR bends the qualification process to the RWC to try to get the right teams there. Or really allocate slot available based on where ranked teams are. Olympics wants a fair process that is always fair regardless of how the fortunes of certain nations change. Thats why you have 4 spots for arguably the top 4 teams in the world, 1 for each continent and 1 open slot via repechage. And of course the host nation which is tradition (host nation has no limits on their entry in events). So there will definitely be teams that can argue they are better than a team that qualifies, but the Olympics doesnt want to be inclusive, they want to create a competitive pathway to be the best. With the top 4 WS teams qualifying there is a path to guarantee your spot. I think its a good system albeit frustrating for certain nations.

For players using the loophole. I thought they have next season as well. If they are a passport holder, they could play in the 2019-2020 WS and qualify in time for the summer olympics.

Regarding GB vs E/W/S, the people saying Scotland or Wales might not play hard against England are out to lunch. Arguably those nations perform best against England due to rivalry. And the same logic of letting England win would apply to any European team that wants an easier path to qualification. In the same vein, Canada should let the US win when we play so they get an easy path to qualification. Anyone that has ever played highly competitive sport knows this is crazy. Even if England dont get a top 4 berth, their odds of not qualifying are low. And I assume if they have to qualify through Europe, a GB team would play through the qualification tournaments giving the Welsh and Scottish players an opportunity to earn the spot.

That said, consolidating to GB for the WS may start to make more sense. Even if Wales looks safer regarding relegation now (Japan are really struggling and I dont think they have any special privilege just because they are hosting the olympics). A combined GB team would align with the Olympics and top young welsh and scottish prospects would still have a chance to develop through 7s. I dont think they'd automatically get better. Its not a quantity business. The squad would get deeper, but similar to team GB, I suspect only a 3-4 scottish players would even be in consideration, maybe 2-3 Welsh. My guess is if its always a team GB starting next year, there would be some pressure to rotate players a bit more to make sure its not just 10 English players with 1 welsh and scot each leg. That alone might keep them from being better than the current english squad.

Dropping two extra teams from the tournament would open up more spots in the qualifying tournament. I seriously doubt WR would do something as stupid and scandalous as simply awarding a spot to someone like Ireland. More likely the bottom team in the current WS year would not face relegation, while the top 2 qualifying teams would get spots. And the following year it would revert to normal.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 16:21

Well, WR would love to save Japan. Next season is crucial for their preparation to host the Olympics.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 17:28

victorsra wrote:Well, WR would love to save Japan. Next season is crucial for their preparation to host the Olympics.

Is it? They weren't a core team before the last Olympics but beat NZ in the pool and got to the bronze medal match.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 18:14

victorsra wrote:Well, WR would love to save Japan. Next season is crucial for their preparation to host the Olympics.

They'll likely get invited to loads of events anyway, like Brazil in '16.

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Thu, 28 Mar 2019, 05:09

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 28 Mar 2019, 08:56

RugbyLiebe wrote:Would you mind posting a short summary what's in your article. The way you post it now, is very close to simple spam.

I'd like to echo what RugbyLiebe said. Just dropping link bombs on us doesn't really add to the conversation. At the very least it would help if you put the title of the article. It may be in the URL but the URL is often abridged in the thread.

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 05:20

Hi folks. Sorry for the annoyance. I received a message from the admin telling me off for just putting links. Won't happen again.

We are building up to the Hong Kong Sevens. We will be there. Here is our story on Joe Webber returning to the All Blacks Sevens after one year out with reactive arthritis... https://planet7s.com/2019/03/29/all-bla ... hong-kong/

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 06:51

Maurice Longbottom is picked for the Australian Sevens squad for the Hong Kong Sevens after recovering from injury. Here is our story... https://planet7s.com/2019/03/29/austral ... ongbottom/

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Sat, 30 Mar 2019, 12:30

Heading to HK tomorrow for the Hong Kong Sevens. In the meantime, here's a story on South Africa coach Neil Powell and how he hopes his young guys can make an impact to his injury-hit squad. Thanks

https://planet7s.com/2019/03/30/neil-po ... hong-kong/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 31 Mar 2019, 11:53

Maybe it was already known: the Olympic Qualifiers will be both on july 13/14.
In Colomiers (Fra) the men's tournament
In Kazan (Rus) the women's one

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/sites/defaul ... _final.pdf

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 31 Mar 2019, 19:54

planet7s, every time I see your avatar in the corner of my eye I keep seeing this image:

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby sevensphd » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 18:12

Regarding the USA Sevens event - WR was in LA last week (possibly other sites, but confirmed in LA) meeting with AEG. It sounds from AEG's perspective that it is almost a done deal to host USA 7s leg in the Dignity Health Stadium (formerly the Home Depot Center). It was originally hosted there beginning in 2004. I was there, very poor attendance (about 5k per day), ran out of beer by 1pm, and there were NO nearby hotels or bar districts nearby - but those issues will all be rectified. The area is already better serviced, and a new entertainment precinct is in the works for around the stadium.

It makes the most sense - verified host venue for 7s at the 2028 Olympic Games, perfect weather, and population. However, LA is a finicky sport market, so we will see how well AEG promotes it. Obviously 7s has come a long way as a sport since it was hosted there last.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum