Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 02 Apr 2019, 03:07

sevensphd wrote:Regarding the USA Sevens event - WR was in LA last week (possibly other sites, but confirmed in LA) meeting with AEG. It sounds from AEG's perspective that it is almost a done deal to host USA 7s leg in the Dignity Health Stadium (formerly the Home Depot Center). It was originally hosted there beginning in 2004. I was there, very poor attendance (about 5k per day), ran out of beer by 1pm, and there were NO nearby hotels or bar districts nearby - but those issues will all be rectified. The area is already better serviced, and a new entertainment precinct is in the works for around the stadium.

It makes the most sense - verified host venue for 7s at the 2028 Olympic Games, perfect weather, and population. However, LA is a finicky sport market, so we will see how well AEG promotes it. Obviously 7s has come a long way as a sport since it was hosted there last.

I was there from 2004-2006 as well and by the end they fixed most of the issues from the initial event where they had zero clue how much rugby people would drink at an all day event. I'm sure they'll do better than they did the first time around but for travelling fans, a weekend in Vegas is a much easier sell than a weekend in suburban LA. If it moves to LA next year, I'd probably just head up to Vancouver instead.

To me Vegas is far and away the best place for the event. If it were to move, I'd rather see it move somewhere unique with a similar festival vibe like New Orleans.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 02 Apr 2019, 03:27

Suiram wrote:I'm just dropping some thoughts from catching up on the last few pages.

Olympic org takes far more effort to create a balanced and fair approach to olympic competition than WR. WR bends the qualification process to the RWC to try to get the right teams there. Or really allocate slot available based on where ranked teams are. Olympics wants a fair process that is always fair regardless of how the fortunes of certain nations change. Thats why you have 4 spots for arguably the top 4 teams in the world, 1 for each continent and 1 open slot via repechage. And of course the host nation which is tradition (host nation has no limits on their entry in events). So there will definitely be teams that can argue they are better than a team that qualifies, but the Olympics doesnt want to be inclusive, they want to create a competitive pathway to be the best. With the top 4 WS teams qualifying there is a path to guarantee your spot. I think its a good system albeit frustrating for certain nations.

I totally disagree about the qualifying process. The Olympic qualifying process is anything but fair. It rewards teams for other teams in their continent doing well, regardless of their own performance, and ends up being nonsensical. Take Canada as an example. In 2014-15, they finished 9th, but because the US only finished 6th, they had to play against the US in the qualifiers and lost. This time around, they're a worse team and are in 12th in the standings, but because the US are in 1st and the rest of the continent is nowhere near the required level, they're virtually a lock to qualify. Meanwhile, Kenya's Olympic qualification hopes have virtually nothing to do with their own performance and everything to do with whether or not South Africa can hold onto 4th place in the 7WS or not.

Say what you want about the RWC qualifying process, but it's much more logical. If, for example, Europe wants more spots, it needs the teams who would fill those additional spots to perform better in intercontinental matches, not for the teams who already fill the spots to perform well. I mean, imagine if MLR sticks around and the US and Canada improve substantially. Should Mexico or Trinidad & Tobago end up automatically qualifying for a RWC as a result? The 7s style of qualification would see that happen, while the current RWC style would make them prove their worth via repechage.

Postby 4N » Tue, 02 Apr 2019, 03:29

Coloradoan wrote:To me Vegas is far and away the best place for the event. If it were to move, I'd rather see it move somewhere unique with a similar festival vibe like New Orleans.

Agree. The years it fell around Mardi Gras (would have this year) would be nuts.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 02 Apr 2019, 10:55

World Rugby formally communicated the qualification process for the Olympics in Central and South America rugby region ,
(The qualification will be disputed in two months).
For Central America region will participate Costa Rica Rugby Federation And Guatemala Rugby Federation

Peru (1-2 June, 2019 women) and Chile (June 29-30, 2019 Men) will host the qualifying tournaments.

The Champion of each tournament will qualify directly to Tokyo while second and third will go to repechage.

The teams from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela will compete for the only direct place to the Games, for the team champion, while the second and third team of each genre will compete in Global tournaments Repechage, as announced.

https://www.world.rugby/news/410799

Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Regional Qualification tournament schedule:

1-2 JUNE, 2019: South America - Lima, Peru (women’s)
29- 30 JUNE, 2019: South America – Santiago, Chile (men’s)
6-7 JULY, 2019: North America – George Town, Cayman Islands (combined)
13-14 JULY, 2019: European - Colomiers, France (men’s)
13-14 JULY, 2019: European - Kazan, Russia (women’s)
7-9 NOVEMBER, 2019: Oceania – Suva, Fiji (combined)
9-10 NOVEMBER, 2019: Asia – Guangzhou, China (women’s)
23-24 NOVEMBER, 2019: Asia – Incheon, Korea (men’s)
TBC, 2019: Africa - Men’s and Women’s qualifier
TBC, 2020: Olympic Games Repechage

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Wed, 03 Apr 2019, 00:10

The timing of this

is why Tonga aren't loopholing anyone in time for the 2019 XVs world cup.

I wonder if any players will use this loophole anyway, even though it is too late for 2019, but maybe some players value the 4 years in-between or even are looking at having their ducks in line for 2023.

But as it will occur during the NH club season, I'll bravely guess none.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 03 Apr 2019, 07:29

Immenso wrote:The timing of this

is why Tonga aren't loopholing anyone in time for the 2019 XVs world cup.

:D This is kind of ironic and also vicious by who ever set that date up. It is one of those little things you can see how t1 keep the rest down (not that I agree with mass-loophole-use, but if they are there those loopholes can be used).
Probably like NZRU and ARU sitting in a bar over a beer. "Hey mate do you want to use the loophole? We Ozzies don't." - "Yeah nah bro, we are good too".
"Good as gold. We'll have the 7s in November just after the World cup then".
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Wed, 03 Apr 2019, 15:41

Hi... yes, there are similarities. Maybe the lady we hired to design the logo was inspired by it.. hahah...

We are here in Hong Kong and we attended the press conference and the captain's picture today.

Here are some stories we did...

USA coach Mike Friday and All Blacks coach Clark Laidlaw both support the formation of a Great Britain team for future world series...

https://planet7s.com/2019/04/03/great-b ... k-laidlaw/

Also, we look at the Irish team who want to make up for their disappointment last year. I was there last year when they lost to Japan. The disappointment was heartbreaking to see...

https://planet7s.com/2019/04/03/ireland ... eartbreak/

Postby 4N » Wed, 03 Apr 2019, 15:54

planet7s wrote:USA coach Mike Friday and All Blacks coach Clark Laidlaw both support the formation of a Great Britain team for future world series...

I think it would be good for the series. Frees up a couple of spots for emerging nations.

National Flag:

Postby sevensphd » Wed, 03 Apr 2019, 15:59

Would love to see Team GB on series. Wales will never take 7s seriously, why prop up a perennial 11 to 14 place. Scotland have only ever been half in.

Allow 7s to be even more global, get a couple more teams on the series, and mimic the Olympics.

Now, if we can only get that tier 2 series funded!

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 00:26

The All Blacks Sevens is the first national team from New Zealand to play since the Christchurch shootings. Coach Clark Laidlaw said the best way to honour the victims is to play their best. Here is our short story.

https://planet7s.com/2019/04/04/hong-ko ... g-victims/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 07:10

4N wrote:
planet7s wrote:USA coach Mike Friday and All Blacks coach Clark Laidlaw both support the formation of a Great Britain team for future world series...

I think it would be good for the series. Frees up a couple of spots for emerging nations.

Mike Friday: "Whether that means we stay at 16 teams and go to 12 maybe, anyone can beat anybody in any given Sunday anyway in the world series."

Seriously what is wrong with rugby and its people? Why not only have 8 teams (6N rest (=France, GB, Ireland, Italy) + Sanzaar), that would be a splendid idea. :roll:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 09:52

Mexico's 7's Season starts on the 4th of May

Interesting no Northwest tournament this year.

Postby 4N » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 12:11

RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:

Mike Friday: "Whether that means we stay at 16 teams and go to 12 maybe, anyone can beat anybody in any given Sunday anyway in the world series."

Seriously what is wrong with rugby and its people? Why not only have 8 teams (6N rest (=France, GB, Ireland, Italy) + Sanzaar), that would be a splendid idea. :roll:

Yeah I wouldn’t support that. Hopefully just his idea.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 21:46

But to be fair that is a bit like the England coach saying it would be a great idea if USA and Canada were forced to merge.

Postby 4N » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 21:53

GB competes in Olympic 7s together as one country and Friday is British.

But yeah other than that exactly the same.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 04:59

Matches so far in the qualifiers:
Chile 31 Cook Islands 5
Germany 19 Uganda 12
Russia 26 - Uruguay 0
Ireland 26 Jamaica 0

Zimbabwe jersey is terrible BTW.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 06:59

thatrugbyguy wrote:Matches so far in the qualifiers:
Chile 31 Cook Islands 5
Germany 19 Uganda 12
Russia 26 - Uruguay 0
Ireland 26 Jamaica 0

Zimbabwe are basically broke, they are just relying on donations.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/seven ... e-20596759

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 07:03

Well that's depressing.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 07:08

thatrugbyguy wrote:Well that's depressing.

yep, the Hong Kong fans had to contribute for them some little money here and there for them to show up. I feel so sad for them.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 07:09

I'm not sure what can be done. 2-3 years ago it looked like things were turning around for Zimbabwe in rugby.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 16:13

I would say this applies here and in the USA Rugby thread: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2019/04/us ... rts-v.html

UWS filed suit against USAR and World Rugby.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 03:34

And UWS has filed a lawsuit against WR And USAR. I posted longer comments on reddit in the MLR subreddit. But seems like the lawsuit has some merit especially if WR is trying to let AEG take over the USA sevens

Edit: oops there was another page. So Stro already posted

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 12:47

In Hong Kong's group C, Australia lost to New Zealand and Fiji. In group D, Spain defeated Wales.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 18:21

Neptune wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Matches so far in the qualifiers:
Chile 31 Cook Islands 5
Germany 19 Uganda 12
Russia 26 - Uruguay 0
Ireland 26 Jamaica 0

Zimbabwe are basically broke, they are just relying on donations.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/seven ... e-20596759

This article is a complete fabrication. The Cheetahs were well funded by the ZRU and are not lacking for anything in Hong Kong. Whoever wrote this article needs to confirm their sources before writing such crap.

I do agree the jersey is terrible.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 19:15

Canalina wrote:Maybe it was already known: the Olympic Qualifiers will be both on july 13/14.
In Colomiers (Fra) the men's tournament
In Kazan (Rus) the women's one

Just caught up with this (Rugby Europe put out details on their website this week as to the other two dates in the main competitions), Does this replace the Exeter leg of the Sevens Series, or is there some other reason behind them not hosting this year?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum