Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby germanbullsfan » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 14:30

Germany finally makes it to the World Series. As a guest, but that's a really important thing for our development

Much needed indeed , to get the battle hardness is the final polish needed to make the last step in HK!

Today for the first time they didnt crack under pressure and made the right decisions under the pressure ! a much needed expierience

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 16:16

:!: WIN NOW BY A SINGLE POINT AND TITLE IS YOURS :!:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 16:21

I'd wait for a confirmation from World Rugby regarding invitations to Paris and London tournaments. With Japan not being core I wouldn't discard them being invited to prepare Olympics.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 16:28

JPN will be invited to Asian legs, maybe even Pacific ones, but NOT Europeans

It is written into the quoted MANUAL that
the best non-core team from GPS will go to both Euro legs

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 16:30

CONGRATS :!:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 16:31

Congrats.

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:JPN will be invited to Asian legs, maybe even Pacific ones, but NOT Europeans

It is a Rugby Europe manual, not a World Rugby one, so I remain skeptical. I doubt Japan will be invited to Hong Kong if they can opt for the qualifier.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 21:16

Armchair Fan wrote:Congrats.

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:JPN will be invited to Asian legs, maybe even Pacific ones, but NOT Europeans

It is a Rugby Europe manual, not a World Rugby one, so I remain skeptical. I doubt Japan will be invited to Hong Kong if they can opt for the qualifier.

If this happens all guys in charge at World Rugby should rot in hell. But yeah Brazil got the European places in 2015/16. I doubt they can do that with Germany as we actually won the damn thing. 2015 Spain got robbed, but their second place overall gave them a solid case to give the place away.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Jul 2019, 05:25

Apparently the European title didn't reach the main newspapers in Germany. I checked the four most important ones (on line version) and there's no recent mention of rugby events. Well, it would have happened the same in Italy.
At least in some minor newspapers there's an article, probably taken from an agency launch because they have all the same title
www.suedkurier.de/ueberregional/sport/m ... 6,10221778

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Jul 2019, 15:51

This week there are the Panamerican Games in Lima and, as written in an other thread, the Indian Ocean Islands Games (Jeux des Iles de l'Ocean Indien) in Mauritius islands.

Seven nations are involved in the Islands Games but just four take part in the rugby tournament: Madagascar, Mauritius, Mayotte, Reunion. The missed three are Comoros, Seychelles and Maldives. The fact that they don't field a team in this "local" competition, furthermore a 7s competition, suggests that those three archipelagos have zero or almost zero rugby movement.
On facebook there are a Comoros Rugby, a Seychelles Beach Rugby and a Maldives Touch Rugby pages, but all of them not updated this year

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 22 Jul 2019, 16:19

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Congrats.

If this happens all guys in charge at World Rugby should rot in hell. But yeah Brazil got the European places in 2015/16. I doubt they can do that with Germany as we actually won the damn thing. 2015 Spain got robbed, but their second place overall gave them a solid case to give the place away.

Brazil concerned WR much more than Japan and that's why they did that. Japan performed strongly in Rio 2016 and was by own merit in the World Series. They dont need to be on all legs.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Mon, 22 Jul 2019, 20:38

The missed three are Comoros, Seychelles and Maldives.

About the only thing I've heard of rugby in these places was when a bunch of armed mercenaries tried to sneak into the Seychelles in 1981, disguised as a South African rugby team, in order to carry out a coup. The plot was foiled by some unlucky event and they all ended up serving prison sentences in SA.
Last edited by Edgar on Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 08:36

victorsra wrote:Brazil concerned WR much more than Japan and that's why they did that. Japan performed strongly in Rio 2016 and was by own merit in the World Series. They dont need to be on all legs.

Let's hope you're right. My belief in World Rugby making just decisions is a bit shaken at the moment.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 14:13

Yesterday World Rugby remembered that it passed an year since the 7s World Cup in San Francisco.
It was indeed a surprisingly good event, mostly thanks to the charming venue

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 14:56

Well, they haven't realized until now on their Facebook pages like World Rugby or World Sevens Series, that Germany is the new European champion in 7s and therefore the biggest European nation has qualified to be a guest team on two stages of their circuit. I mean why should a global sport federation post about a nice underdog story. Who is interested in that?

If this would have been a Commonwealth country, you would read everywhere about it. This is one of the reasons why rugby isn't bigger. Open and cynical racism (there must be another word, but actually it fits perfectly) against everything not Commonwealthish. As long as your own world federation doesn't take this serious, why should anybody in a minor country. Shame!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 15:11

RugbyLiebe wrote:Germany is the new European champion in 7s and therefore the biggest European nation has qualified to be a guest team on two stages of their circuit

I get it but don't forget the size of Russia :D

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 15:23

Armchair Fan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Germany is the new European champion in 7s and therefore the biggest European nation has qualified to be a guest team on two stages of their circuit

Sorry, I've read too many times, that Russia is not European in this forum :D . Germany, the country with the biggest population within Europe.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Amargo » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 22:41

Don't quote me on this but Wikipedia says that European Russia has 110 million.
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:

Sorry, I've read too many times, that Russia is not European in this forum :D . Germany, the country with the biggest population within Europe.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 07:11

Amargo wrote:Don't quote me on this but Wikipedia says that European Russia has 110 million.
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:

Ah well, the biggest EU country then (if GB doesn't decide to have some former colonies counted for nostalgic reasons):D

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 07:22

Turkey will overtake Germany within about 5 years, and while only 5% of Turkey is in Europe, the national team plays its rugby on that continent and must therefore be factored into this discussion. Also, DNA testing indicates Turks are predominantly European in ethnic terms, despite substantial and widespread admixture.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 09:05

So it is Wednesday and World Rugby still hasn't realized, that they have a new European 7s champion, who will take part on the World Sevens Series next year on two stages.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 09:19

In the website they wrote something, but I agree with you that they could have highlighted better this news

https://www.world.rugby

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 09:22

ZEI AR VEKEITIN ON IBISA

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 22:08

Indian Ocean Islands Games

Madagascar v Mauritius 33-0
Reunion v Mayotte 43-0

Mauritius v Mayotte 26-5
Madagascar v Reunion 21-15

Reunion v Mauritius 24-12
Madagascar v Mayotte 40-7

Tomorrow' semifinals
Madagascar v Mayotte
Reunion v Mauritius

Good crowd on the stand, some hundreds people

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 07:00

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:ZEI AR VEKEITIN ON IBISA

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 13:43

Semifinals at the Jeux des Iles de l'Ocean Indien

Madagascar v Mayotte 33-12
Reunion v Mauritius 31-14

Finals

Mauritius v Mayotte 19-12
Madagascar v Reunion 12-7

GOLD Madagascar
SILVER Reunion
BRONZE Mauritius

Map of the nations involved in the games; the four in green are playing the rugby 7s tournament, the three in red aren't.
The wideness of Madagascar seems quite unfair

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum