Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

Posts: 3094
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 13:18

Other questions which are also not answered yet.


1. Will Japan play in the HK7s Qualifier?
=> reduce the number of teams to 7, despite having not played in the Qualifier/Qualifier?
and break the new rules directly again?
Or are they seen as a core team for this season despite being relegated?

EDIT: that's answered Japan plays in this tournament

2. Based on what are those 3 South American core teams actually there? Why are there suddenly three South American core teams? Im not surprised Victor is alright with this, as Brazil otherwise wouldn't even play at this level, if Chile and Uruguay are still stronger like last year. And as an addition Colombia, Mexico and Paraguay are also there (which probably shows how hastily they had to come up with this). Congrats on the good lobby of Pichot for his continent. Still worth an explanation.

3. Already looking forward about how the groups will be drawn. The teams with Colombia, Mexico and Paraguay in it, will have a massive advantage in a 16 team format, where only the best 2 qualify.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 3094
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 13:26

victorsra wrote:About your points, AFAIK the teams already knew there would be changes and that Punta and Viña would be new legs of a new series. I know about this since at least the middle of the year, after talking do CBRu. I don't believe coaches were thinking they were just preparing to HK. Definitly they all knew for a long time about the series. But of course WR is realy bad on communications.

victorsra wrote:Why there are no tournaments in Europe?

The middle of the year is too late as that's exactly when the GPS runs.

victorsra wrote: let's be patient. They are clarly experimenting.

And that's were I disagree (a well executed Series is something I agree as well)
They always experiment when nothing happens to one of their board members and always on the back of minor nations. And this needs to stop. Enough is enough. A sports federation is not an aristocracy and all of us need to intervene loud and clear when they forgot about this.
You can't organize a proper Second division of the W7S? F*** off then and stick to what you promised before.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 13:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:Other questions which are also not answered yet.


1. Will Japan play in the HK7s Qualifier?
=> reduce the number of teams to 7, despite having not played in the Qualifier/Qualifier?
and break the new rules directly again?
Or are they seen as a core team for this season despite being relegated?

EDIT: that's answered Japan plays in this tournament

2. Based on what are those 3 South American core teams actually there? Why are there suddenly three South American core teams? Im not surprised Victor is alright with this, as Brazil otherwise wouldn't even play at this level, if Chile and Uruguay are still stronger like last year. And as an addition Colombia, Mexico and Paraguay are also there (which probably shows how hastily they had to come up with this). Congrats on the good lobby of Pichot for his continent. Still worth an explanation.

3. Already looking forward about how the groups will be drawn. The teams with Colombia, Mexico and Paraguay in it, will have a massive advantage in a 16 team format, where only the best 2 qualify.


We have the answers of all these questions.

Japan is part of the Challenger series. If they finish top 8 in Viña+Punta they'll play HK's Challenger finals, like anybody else, because they need to play it to be promoted to 2020-21. If they fail, they will probably be invited for the main series as invited team, unless HK also fails.

Chile and Brazil are the 2 teams qualified from South America. Uruguay finished third in the last South American competition and got a spot because they are a Challenger Series host. Hence, the odd 13 core teams number. Something similar to what Rugby Europe Grand Prix does.

Colombia, Mexico and Paraguay can't qualify to HK, that's why they are invited teams. No doubts they will be drawn as 4ths in the groups (probably together with Jamaica).

The middle of the year is too late as that's exactly when the GPS runs.

I knew in the middle of the year because I asked. It could be known for a while. You are assuming GPS coaches were anaware. I doubt they didn't know they were playing to finish in the top 3 (the non-Sevens World Series teams). It is very likely they knew about Punta and Viña since early this year and what was delaying the confirmation of the series was if there were other tournaments involved too.
Last edited by victorsra on Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 13:50

What we don't know is what will be season 2 qualy. Top teams of the season 1 will have spots in season 2 or they'll need to qualify via continental series? In South America this is extremely important to know right now because our sevens series are usualy in January-February and we don't know what will be it. Colombia and Paraguay will be there as invited teams, but how can they achieve promotion? And what about Peru? Venezuela? Costa Rica?

Anyway, I think a sensible alternative would be to give the top 8 teams of season 1 spots in season 2 and to give each region 1 further place (1 Europe, 1 Africa, 1 Asia/Oceania, 1 Americas, maybe? Making it 12 core teams. Each season 2 tournament could also invite 4 teams and that's it and we hope it expands to become a 4 or 5 tournaments series). This way time will make stronger continents the majority of the top 8 teams.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3094
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 13:59

victorsra wrote:
Chile and Brazil are the 2 teams qualified from South America. Uruguay finished third in the last South American competition and got a spot because they are a Challenger Series host. Something similar to what Rugby Europe Grand Prix does.


Rugby Europe runs a 12-team Grand Prix Series with another two tournament Series called Trophy with 12 teams below it and then a third divisions with one tournament with 16 further nations in it. So basically 40 nations competing.
Off course there are more teams from Europe than from everywhere else. I am not saying Brazil or Uruguay shouldn't be there, but see what it is: a privilege, probably done by Pichot.

victorsra wrote:Colombia, Mexico and Paraguay can't qualify to HK, that's why they are invited teams.


If World Rugby was a competent organization, they would have invited Korea as a guest team, but well they are not. If you are a great world federation, you would've kept a spot open if somebody else than HK would qualify. They haven't.


The middle of the year is too late as that's exactly when the GPS runs.

I doubt they didn't know they were playing to finish in the top 3 (the non-Sevens World Series teams).[/quote]

Well they didn't know in 2017 that Georgia would also go the World Series Qualifier as 3rd ranked non W7S-team. But yeah, according to the signed agreement, everybody knew there were 3 places to the HK 7s Qualifier (also in the written and signed rules: two places on the World Series tournaments of Paris and London in 2019/20 and that those 3 places are direct qualifiers to HK)

victorsra wrote:What we don't know is what will be season 2 qualy. Top teams of the season 1 will have spots in season 2 or they'll need to qualify via continental series? In South America this is extremely important to know right now because our sevens series are usualy in January-February and we don't know what will be it. Colombia and Paraguay will be there as invited teams, but how can they achieve promotion? And what about Peru? Venezuela? Costa Rica?

Anyway, I think a sensible alternative would be to give the top 8 teams of season 1 spots in season 2 and to give each region 1 further place (1 Europe, 1 Africa, 1 Asia/Oceania, 1 Americas, maybe? Making it 12 core teams. Each season 2 tournament could also invite 4 teams and that's it and we hope it expands to become a 4 or 5 tournaments series). This way time will make stronger continents the majority of the top 8 teams.


This sounds smart and very reasonable. Small correction: it is the 7 next best nations and the relegated team. It makes sure that the best smaller nations play and every region is represented in every Series. No idea how they want to do it tough. Asia and Oceania is covering a massive region sizewise and a combined tournament could be a problem. Maybe 8+6+2 guests?
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 213
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:05
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby mulu » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:04

victorsra wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
victorsra wrote:I can't see your point. How would you kick off a 7s second division series?


1. Always stick to your own rules: Simply by not altering already promised qualification paths and bloody communicate extremely openly what you want to do and why. They are pretty consistent though in being the most incompetent sport in this case worldwide. Where is the announcement that Japan gets the spots i.e.? Who decides this and based on what? Incompetence!

2. Timing: If they would have announced this in April 2019 i.e. at the HK 7s 2019, all would be fair enough. Nothing is worse for a sport if promised and achieved things are taken away. And that's not a first, but a regular thing in rugby. This stops growth, this stops credibility of a sport who wants to be more than a joke.

3. Define the product correctly: By making sure that a Series is a Series and not a two tournament thing on the same continent and that those smaller nations actually get more than they already got. We all know South America has not enough nations to be a functional federation in 7s, but that's not the case in Europe. What European teams (and the best teams of SA as well) need, is games against the very best in a tournament they don't take lightly. Those are taken away, because of the absent of guest teams on this year's W7S. Don't sugar coat things, when they are simply a lie. As it is this Series is not done to give those nations MORE games on a higher level as they stated. If you give 6 teams less games on the World Series, that is absolutely not the case.

4. Do it for the sake of the game, treat everybody as equals: Don't ever give somebody the impression, that this is just a small present they give you, while the guy steals your wallet. If they wouldn't have taken those places away and break written contracts, also fair enough. If they wouldn't have reduced the participant numbers in the HK 7s, also fair enough. Stick to your bloody rules, then modifications will be seen positive. Rugby only does this because it can and because it is widely ignorant of its own game AND because it definitely prefers their Cartel and that's not acceptable. And all of us need to stop to be naive about this. World Rugby does not serve the interest of all of its members but actively works against them if a nation could become slightly dangerous to a member nation of the board.

5. Take a step back if neccessary If you can't make sure, that you fulfil or avoid those 4 points above, that's okay. Then you announce it as a test run and competitional preparation to the HK 7s Qualifier (which would stay at the same number as stated in the competition participation contracts your Unions signed when they qualified for it)


I just listened to your brilliant episode on the Rugby Reloaded podcast btw. Congrats on that, great to listen and I love your enthusiasm, which could be heard.


Thanks, mate!

About your points, AFAIK the teams already knew there would be changes and that Punta and Viña would be new legs of a new series. I know about this since at least the middle of the year, after talking do CBRu. I don't believe coaches were thinking they were just preparing to HK. Definitly they all knew for a long time about the series. But of course WR is realy bad on communications.

About Punta and Viña, I realy believe we are back to the finances problem. WR is only probably using the two tournaments that made a bid to host a new series (and 2019 Sudamerica Series was clearly a lab for that). Punta and Viña are most likely paying most of the costs (remember Viña had recently a bid for the main series). Also, South America is the only continent without a Sevens Series leg + it has at least 3 teams that are 2nd Division-level. In any 16-teams 2nd division scenario South America would have 3 teams (Chile, Uruguay and Brazil), that's for sure.

Why there are no tournaments in Europe? We can only try to guess, but probably nobody wanted to pay for it. Don't see this as a WR fault unless we defend they should pay for the whole thing (and yes, I agree they should, but they can?). As this is only season 1, it is pretty much likely to see it getting European legs soon for season 2, let's be patient. They are clarly experimenting.


there was no tender process for the series, that’s why there was no bid from europe.

hongkong was reduced to 8 teams to accommodate the women’s series and only agreed to still host the qualifying tournament (and pay) if the hk 7s stay the decider (and not one leg of a series), this makes it impossible for a european leg to become part of the series due the weather in europe (european legs can only be hosted from may - september).

uruguay wasn’t qualified for hongkong (12 teams) so why would they be a guaranteed starter in a second tier world series? there were only two designated spots for south america in hongkong.

the infos about the series were “embargoed” until this week and the teams had almost zero infos about it in combination with the unstable political situation in chile it seemed rather unlikely that the tournament in chile was to happen.

the absence of south africa development, france development, usa development, canada development, etc. makes the series weaker than the two south american legs in the past

why are there invitational teams from south america, what was the process to pick those teams (where is the transparency?)

teams from outside south america are allowed to come with 12 players and 3 staff (everything above that has to be covered by the unions). 12 players for back to back tournaments (with players who are not used to it) is very questionable from a player welfare point of view. chile, uruguay and even brazil can easily replace tired or injured players, what about the rest? how is this fair?

don’t get me wrong a second tier series is a great initative but this is not a finished article and shouldn’t have been kicked off this year. we (germany) are of course confident to make the top eight and we would have travelled to south america regardless (even though we would have taken a mix of development and top team players who needed game time like in the last two seasons) but the challenger series as it stands is a downgrade and not an upgrade.

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:11

there was no tender process for the series, that’s why there was no bid from europe.

We obviously don't know nothing. Punta and Viña (and Sudamerica Rugby) were definitly behind the idea of launching the series and we know that since the revamp of the South American Sevens Series. We don't know if WR approached other nations or not and we don't know how much a host nations spends on it. It is after all experimental.

uruguay wasn’t qualified for hongkong (12 teams) so why would they be a guaranteed starter in a second tier world series? there were only two designated spots for south america in hongkong.

Just answered. Read again.

why are there invitational teams from south america, what was the process to pick those teams (where is the transparency?)

That's quite obvious to answer: Viña and Punta are in the Americas, it is easier. If you are going to invite (and pay) for teams from other continents, just expand the number of core teams.

the absence of south africa development, france development, usa development, canada development, etc. makes the series weaker than the two south american legs in the past

Nobody cares

teams from outside south america are allowed to come with 12 players and 3 staff (everything above that has to be covered by the unions). 12 players for back to back tournaments (with players who are not used to it) is very questionable from a player welfare point of view. chile, uruguay and even brazil can easily replace tired or injured players, what about the rest? how is this fair?


Where is this info? How does it work in the main series? When Argentina has an injured player in Hong Kong what they do?

I am quite sure if the two only tournaments were Munich and Rome with half a dozen European teams you woudn't be complaining.

That Pichot is doing things to grow South America we all know. But WR has a council and an European chairman. Let's remember. Ask Rugby Europe what they did behind the scenes about it. And you know, I complain about Sudamerica Rugby all the time, I am not the one trying to defend them.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 27 Jun 2019, 18:57
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Rumpelstilzchen » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:19

mulu obviously has insider information as an offical of the German rugby union. I don't get why you wouldn't believe him.

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:27

About the players? So he tells me: WR tournament agreement for the Challenger Series has it clear they don't pay replecements? And if so, obviously there's a problem of 2 of the 3 series touraments being in the same continent. But unless we have tournaments in all 6 continents (and, remember, the main series doesn't have a leg in South America and, no, North America is not close), it is unfair anyway with some teams.

But if nobody in the German Rugby Union knew Punta and Viña would become part of a 2nd division series, even after Germany played those tournaments and everybody in South America knew they were planning this early this year, well, that's realy bizarre.

And remember: we are hearing about a 2nd division series being planned for much more than a year. I hear this I believe for three or four years. So.... not that obscure.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby germanbullsfan » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:38

So , does anybody now just swallowing that stinky fish or is somebody formally complaining about that ?

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:43

don’t get me wrong a second tier series is a great initative but this is not a finished article and shouldn’t have been kicked off this year. we (germany) are of course confident to make the top eight and we would have travelled to south america regardless (even though we would have taken a mix of development and top team players who needed game time like in the last two seasons) but the challenger series as it stands is a downgrade and not an upgrade.


Who payed for Germany to come to South America this year? German Rugby Union or World Rugby?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 213
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:05
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby mulu » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:58

victorsra wrote:
there was no tender process for the series, that’s why there was no bid from europe.

We obviously don't know nothing. Punta and Viña (and Sudamerica Rugby) were definitly behind the idea of launching the series and we know that since the revamp of the South American Sevens Series. We don't know if WR approached other nations or not and we don't know how much a host nations spends on it. It is after all experimental.

uruguay wasn’t qualified for hongkong (12 teams) so why would they be a guaranteed starter in a second tier world series? there were only two designated spots for south america in hongkong.

Just answered. Read again.

why are there invitational teams from south america, what was the process to pick those teams (where is the transparency?)

That's quite obvious to answer: Viña and Punta are in the Americas, it is easier. If you are going to invite (and pay) for teams from other continents, just expand the number of core teams.

the absence of south africa development, france development, usa development, canada development, etc. makes the series weaker than the two south american legs in the past

Nobody cares

teams from outside south america are allowed to come with 12 players and 3 staff (everything above that has to be covered by the unions). 12 players for back to back tournaments (with players who are not used to it) is very questionable from a player welfare point of view. chile, uruguay and even brazil can easily replace tired or injured players, what about the rest? how is this fair?


Where is this info? How does it work in the main series? When Argentina has an injured player in Hong Kong what they do?

I am quite sure if the two only tournaments were Munich and Rome with half a dozen European teams you woudn't be complaining.

That Pichot is doing things to grow South America we all know. But WR has a council and an European chairman. Let's remember. Ask Rugby Europe what they did behind the scenes about it. And you know, I complain about Sudamerica Rugby all the time, I am not the one trying to defend them.


In the World Series teams are allowed to bring 14 players for back to back tournaments (payed for by world rugby) and they can use 13 players a tournament.

I know that nobody else was approached, that is a fact. I also know that I waited for the last 2 months (till yesterday) on an official confirmation about the challenger series, as said before the information was embargoed beforehand and you can't plan (at least not in germany) or even request funding for something which is not officially confirmed. working on rumors is not how a (semi-)professional sport using government funds shall be run.

I don't care about the south american teams having an advantage this time, I do care about WR labelling the series as world rugby challenger series.

and of course we care who we are playing against.

I love the south american legs, I do love south america and we don't fear not making hongkong, but still the process is not right. that's all I'm saying.

Posts: 213
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:05
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby mulu » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:58

victorsra wrote:
don’t get me wrong a second tier series is a great initative but this is not a finished article and shouldn’t have been kicked off this year. we (germany) are of course confident to make the top eight and we would have travelled to south america regardless (even though we would have taken a mix of development and top team players who needed game time like in the last two seasons) but the challenger series as it stands is a downgrade and not an upgrade.


Who payed for Germany to come to South America this year? German Rugby Union or World Rugby?


the IOC through extra funding we qualified to access.

Posts: 213
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:05
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby mulu » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 15:03

if you make it a 12 team series (with the 12 teams who had qualified for hongkong initially) you don't need to invite other teams from the americas and you manage to safe even more costs. hongkong is no guranteed starter in the hong kong 7s world series qualifier, they need to qualify via asia (or now the challenger series), so why do we come up with a lex uruguay?

btw it seems like i'm against uruguay, i do think uruguy has a great team, they are a great bunch of guys but they haven't qualified therefor they shouldn't play and if they played they shouldn't be able to qualify for hongkong.

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 15:42

mulu wrote:
victorsra wrote:
don’t get me wrong a second tier series is a great initative but this is not a finished article and shouldn’t have been kicked off this year. we (germany) are of course confident to make the top eight and we would have travelled to south america regardless (even though we would have taken a mix of development and top team players who needed game time like in the last two seasons) but the challenger series as it stands is a downgrade and not an upgrade.


Who payed for Germany to come to South America this year? German Rugby Union or World Rugby?


the IOC through extra funding we qualified to access.



Never heard about IOC paying sevens teams. Only National Olympic Comitees or World Rugby...

What's this, a direct program that ignores local NOC's and WR?

hongkong is no guranteed starter in the hong kong 7s world series qualifier, they need to qualify via asia (or now the challenger series),


If they fail to qualify for Challenger finals they'll play the main series as the invited host.

Uruguay is hosting one leg and probably WR offered them this advantage, just like Rugby Europe offers Grand Prix hosts they can't be relegated. But they need to qualify in Top8 to be in HK anyway.

No issues here.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 213
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:05
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby mulu » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 15:52

victorsra wrote:
mulu wrote:
victorsra wrote:
don’t get me wrong a second tier series is a great initative but this is not a finished article and shouldn’t have been kicked off this year. we (germany) are of course confident to make the top eight and we would have travelled to south america regardless (even though we would have taken a mix of development and top team players who needed game time like in the last two seasons) but the challenger series as it stands is a downgrade and not an upgrade.


Who payed for Germany to come to South America this year? German Rugby Union or World Rugby?


the IOC through extra funding we qualified to access.



Never heard about IOC paying sevens teams. Only National Olympic Comitees or World Rugby...

What's this, a direct program that ignores local NOC's and WR?

hongkong is no guranteed starter in the hong kong 7s world series qualifier, they need to qualify via asia (or now the challenger series),


If they fail to qualify for Challenger finals they'll play the main series as the invited host.

Uruguay is hosting one leg and probably WR offered them this advantage, just like Rugby Europe offers Grand Prix hosts they can't be relegated. But they need to qualify in Top8 to be in HK anyway.

No issues here.


It’s called olympic solidarity team fund and doesn’t ignore the local NOCs

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 15:58

In the World Series teams are allowed to bring 14 players for back to back tournaments (payed for by world rugby) and they can use 13 players a tournament.

And WR said they are only paying 12 for the Challenger? About this, if this is the case, you are obviously right to complain, but this has nothing to do with the series being in South America.

I also know that I waited for the last 2 months (till yesterday) on an official confirmation about the challenger series, as said before the information was embargoed beforehand and you can't plan (at least not in germany) or even request funding for something which is not officially confirmed. working on rumors is not how a (semi-)professional sport using government funds shall be run.


This is indeed serious and the question is why? What happened in the middle? It is certainly a World Rugby's fault, but not Punta or Viña. They offered themselves for the duty. Probably they saved WR ass. What WR did with the rest of the planning process is the problem.

I remember the Women's Series had one experimental season before going official. They shoud've done that for the men's 2nd division. Maybe the right thing to do was to give 6 spots in the 2020 HK 7s to continents (1 each, instead of 2) and 1 to a new experimental Challenger Series before making the series official.

Now they rushed, the right thing is to open for bids for at least 1 more leg for 2020-21.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 15:59

mulu wrote:
victorsra wrote:
mulu wrote:
victorsra wrote:
don’t get me wrong a second tier series is a great initative but this is not a finished article and shouldn’t have been kicked off this year. we (germany) are of course confident to make the top eight and we would have travelled to south america regardless (even though we would have taken a mix of development and top team players who needed game time like in the last two seasons) but the challenger series as it stands is a downgrade and not an upgrade.


Who payed for Germany to come to South America this year? German Rugby Union or World Rugby?


the IOC through extra funding we qualified to access.



Never heard about IOC paying sevens teams. Only National Olympic Comitees or World Rugby...

What's this, a direct program that ignores local NOC's and WR?

hongkong is no guranteed starter in the hong kong 7s world series qualifier, they need to qualify via asia (or now the challenger series),


If they fail to qualify for Challenger finals they'll play the main series as the invited host.

Uruguay is hosting one leg and probably WR offered them this advantage, just like Rugby Europe offers Grand Prix hosts they can't be relegated. But they need to qualify in Top8 to be in HK anyway.

No issues here.


It’s called olympic solidarity team fund and doesn’t ignore the local NOCs


So it is in fact a $ that comes from IOC to your NOC and to your Rugby Union? Which means it is your NOC that distributed, right?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3941
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 16:22

victorsra wrote:I remember the Women's Series had one experimental season before going official. They shoud've done that for the men's 2nd division. Maybe the right thing to do was to give 6 spots in the 2020 HK 7s to continents (1 each, instead of 2) and 1 to a new experimental Challenger Series before making the series official.

Now they rushed, the right thing is to open for bids for at least 1 more leg for 2020-21.

I may remember wrong, but the start of women's series wasn't smooth nor transparent neither.

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 16:40

Just trying to guess the groups of Viña.

If we use last HK7s final standings:

A: Japan, Zimbabwe, Jamaica, Mexico
B: Hong Kong, Uganda, Italy, Paraguay
C: Germany, Uruguay, PNG, Colombia
D: Chile, Tonga, Brazil, Portugal

In italics I placed teams that haven't played last HK randomly.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 213
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:05
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby mulu » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 16:52

victorsra wrote:
So it is in fact a $ that comes from IOC to your NOC and to your Rugby Union? Which means it is your NOC that distributed, right?


No. It comes directly from the IOC but the respective NOC has to put the names of teams, programs, etc. forward. in germany it is awarded to teams who have done a great job in the books of our NOC and therefor qualify for the fund (in germany it is one team each year. drv has won the team fund twice in the last 4-5 years).

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 17:32

Yes, that's what I meant. It is up to the NOC.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 14:22

Europe and South America will have three core teams. Africa, Asia and Oceania will have two. North America will have one. Doesn't seem wrong to me.

Posts: 3094
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 15:38

NaBUru38 wrote:Europe and South America will have three core teams. Africa, Asia and Oceania will have two. North America will have one. Doesn't seem wrong to me.


Make a difference between what you like it to be and what was actually in a signed contract. In the signed contract, SA had 2 and Europe 3. So yeah it is wrong.

That you understandably like this more is another thing. But don't be a fool and fall for classic impera et divide, just because you prefer this as Uruguay was already eliminated for World Series 2020/21 until deux ex machina World Rugby came.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 15:04

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... 2-olympics

Brisbane bid to host the 2032 Olympics. If they win, it would be 3 strong sevens nations in a row, without messing with the Sevens World Series invitational system.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests