Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Unread postby Canalina » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 19:32

That photo was not the bottom, I think... Sudamerica Rugby announced the live draw, to be shown by World Rugby facebook. No announces at all on World Rugby or World Rugby Sevens pages. At the fixed time there was no trace of the live stream on World Rugby facebook. Probably I was the only one in the world waiting for it, because no one protested. Twelve minutes later (I think, but I missed it) the live started on World Rugby Sevens, id est on a page different from the announced one.
The live was this... :geek:

https://www.facebook.com/worldrugby7s/v ... 896437141/

I know that it's easy to criticize, but this is the level of a village event presentation. To say better: of a mediocre village event presentation...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 19:49

Look at the bright side...

Sorry, no bright side.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 20:00

:)

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Unread postby rey200 » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 20:39

the bright side: they didn't draw NZ or England to any pool. What a shitfest, sorry for the language
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby carbonero » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 20:43

Pichulonko wrote:I believe that only the group winners advance to the knock-out stage

No. It is a regular tournament. Full schedule > https://www.world.rugby/challenger-series/vina-del-mar

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Unread postby Edgar » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 21:17

That's a great lineup! Jamaica, PNG and Uganda are three nations with obvious potential to excel in sevens, even if financial constraints and lack of local expertise impede their progress in XVs. I've also stressed before the need for Italy to get involved more in the condensed version of the game. Colombia and Mexico are really going to benefit from the experience as well. Kudos to World Rugby on this initiative :thumbup:

Meanwhile, the Coral Coast 7s are underway in Fiji - https://fijivillage.com/sport/Tuva-Yout ... 7s-sk5r92/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 17 Jan 2020, 07:30

Edgar wrote:Kudos to World Rugby on this initiative :thumbup:

Yeah, well done World Rugby for breaking contracts to form a new tournament, with a notice of 2 months before it starts. Well done :thumbup: :thumbup: :roll:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Fri, 17 Jan 2020, 17:27

Trying to collect the Naples 7s results

Day one
Italia-Germania A 7-19
Italia-Germania 12-29
Italia-Spagna (Spain won)

Day two
Italia-Germania 12-17
Italia-Germania A 17-7
Italia-Spagna 29-5
Germany-Spain 17-12
Germany A-Spain 17-17

The final standing should be
Germany 6, 0, 0
Spain 2, 1, 3
Italy 2, 0, 4
Germany A 1, 1, 4

During day one's Italy v Germany, a german player running to the posts knocked down the referee Maria Pacifico; after some moment of pain and disorientation she re-start to referee but during the second half of the game she suddenly let herself falling to the ground, holding the knee with the hands and asking for medical help. They brought her out of the field by shoulders. In the first two rounds of the women's Six Nations she should referee as assistant two games, let's hope she may get well in time

Two nice photo galleries
Day one
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NapoliRugby ... tn__=-UC-R
Day two
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NapoliRugby ... tn__=-UC-R

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Unread postby mcruic » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 09:54

Rankings of the Rugby 7s Challenger Series Teams according to my own rankings:

Germany and Tonga favourites. Japan, Portugal, Italy, Chile and Hong Kong all in with a chance. Many European teams are better at 7s than the likes of Jamaica and Mexico (Belgium, Poland, etc.), but I guess they have to be inclusive of all geographic zones.

POOL A
17 Tonga
18 Japan
19 Portugal
35 Uruguay

POOL B
22 Hong Kong
24 Papua New Guinea
43 Colombia
52 Jamaica

POOL C
14 Germany
20 Italy
23 Uganda
54 Paraguay

POOL D
21 Chile
26 Zimbabwe
30 Brazil
68 Mexico
http://theroonba.com Results, fixtures, rankings

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Unread postby NedRugby » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 11:41

Pool A looks tough. Three of those look like potential winners, and one will miss making the quarters.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 12:51

And Uruguay at home will be a threat. They don't give a damn about 7s but drew with Ireland in Hong Kong...

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Unread postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 24 Jan 2020, 23:52

Jamaica has improved dramatically.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Unread postby mcruic » Sat, 25 Jan 2020, 01:05

NaBUru38 wrote:Jamaica has improved dramatically.

In my rankings, they've moved up from 77 to 52 since the 2013 IRB qualifier in Hong Kong. They've still only beaten one team that is currently higher than them in the rankings, though (Cook Islands in 2018).
http://theroonba.com Results, fixtures, rankings

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby TheStroBro » Sat, 25 Jan 2020, 01:19

mcruic wrote:

In my rankings, they've moved up from 77 to 52 since the 2013 IRB qualifier in Hong Kong. They've still only beaten one team that is currently higher than them in the rankings, though (Cook Islands in 2018).

Steven Lewis, a jock, is the current coach of the Crocs.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Unread postby Edgar » Sat, 25 Jan 2020, 20:37

Most splendid result for Chinese ladies' team against Fiji yesterday, especially as Fijiana went on to prevail over Australia and England! Women's 7s is the fastest route to success for China on the international stage. Wonderful to see them doing so well at a World Series event :thumbup:

Men's 7s, on the other hand, appears to have reverted to type, after teams like Kenya, the US and Argentina really threatened to break into the top echelon a decade or two back. They're still highly competitive, of course, but at the end of the day it invariably comes down to the usual suspects, notably Fiji, NZ & SA.

Meanwhile, it seems an odd decision to take the tournament away from Hamilton if it has been a "resounding success," as they say. If it ain't broke, why fix it? But the live-feed is showing an empty stadium for today's opening women's games. :roll:

Wonder where it will be staged next year. Auckland, perhaps? Great shame about Fiji though. Can you imagine the atmosphere if such an event were held at the national stadium in Suva . . .

Fiji will not host New Zealand's leg of the Sevens World Series until 2023 at the earliest and next year's event is shifting from Hamilton to another New Zealand city.

New Zealand Rugby chief rugby officer Nigel Cass says the governing body was initially hoping to take the sevens to Fiji as soon as next year.

Hamilton replaced Wellington as hosts in 2018 and the move has been a resounding success on and off the field, but New Zealand Rugby wants to keep its flagship sevens tournament fresh and innovative.

Cass confirmed Hamilton would be the host again in 2022 but revealed a tournament in Fiji could not happen next year because of a lack of infrastructure.

Cass says they were working with the Fijians and were really hopeful of getting a tournament in Fiji for next year and unfortunately there isn't the infrastructure for a tournament of this type.

He says they are not giving on this.

https://fijivillage.com/sport/Fiji-will ... ar-9r2sk5/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Jan 2020, 02:33

Is Hamilton's contract ending in 2020?

Anyway, about the format, it mandatory next year that all tournaments have the same format, obviously. I might be one of the few that realy like the scrap of the QFs. I think this format ads more unpredictability and less uninteresting games. In fact, placement matches are more interesting now, easier to connect them to the standings.

But the series would be more exciting if there were like a final tournament for, let's say, the 4 or 6 best teams, worthing like the double of the points, in different venues every year, adding more emotion to the standings' battles. A final tournament could work like the playoffs work for Top 14, Premiership, Super Rugby, etc.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Unread postby nick511 » Sun, 26 Jan 2020, 15:19

victorsra wrote:Is Hamilton's contract ending in 2020?

From what I understand the agreement was always a NZ wide agreement (with a separate tender for NZ cities) with a side deal with the Fiji Rugby Union to hold an event there regularly. Eden Park in Auckland will likely host it next year depending on a couple of factors, Eden Park is expensive to hire for that amount of time and the residents there aren't usually keen on day wide events. Now that the 9s have left Auckland it was always likely they would have an event there. The South Island was never considered due to accommodation and travel considerations (in the case of Dunedin) and Stadium size (Christchurch). But come 2024 Christchurch would be in with a shot with their new stadium.

Regarding the format, I've been told the Hamilton organisers were told late about the scrapping of the quarters and that they were very unhappy (along with Sydney) as being guniea pigs for testing a two day format for combined events. From my point of view it should stay with the quarters it just looks so unprofessional having different formats during the series. Not only did they change the finals day for lower ranking matches before the season started but then to scrape the quarters shows how little WR care about the product.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby TheStroBro » Sun, 26 Jan 2020, 17:13

Anyway, about the format, it mandatory next year that all tournaments have the same format, obviously. I might be one of the few that realy like the scrap of the QFs. I think this format ads more unpredictability and less uninteresting games. In fact, placement matches are more interesting now, easier to connect them to the standings.

But the series would be more exciting if there were like a final tournament for, let's say, the 4 or 6 best teams, worthing like the double of the points, in different venues every year, adding more emotion to the standings' battles. A final tournament could work like the playoffs work for Top 14, Premiership, Super Rugby, etc.

There's only one problem with Wellington or Hamilton, it's been they stopped selling Beer. That's it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Jan 2020, 18:59

Hamilton is small city in the series. In theory Auckland is mire logical.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 12:26

nick511 wrote:

From what I understand the agreement was always a NZ wide agreement (with a separate tender for NZ cities) with a side deal with the Fiji Rugby Union to hold an event there regularly. Eden Park in Auckland will likely host it next year depending on a couple of factors, Eden Park is expensive to hire for that amount of time and the residents there aren't usually keen on day wide events. Now that the 9s have left Auckland it was always likely they would have an event there. The South Island was never considered due to accommodation and travel considerations (in the case of Dunedin) and Stadium size (Christchurch). But come 2024 Christchurch would be in with a shot with their new stadium.

Regarding the format, I've been told the Hamilton organisers were told late about the scrapping of the quarters and that they were very unhappy (along with Sydney) as being guniea pigs for testing a two day format for combined events. From my point of view it should stay with the quarters it just looks so unprofessional having different formats during the series. Not only did they change the finals day for lower ranking matches before the season started but then to scrape the quarters shows how little WR care about the product.

There was a news story a few weeks bad of possible legal challenge to WR handling of this. I keep saying it, they cannot run both the mens and women's events combined over two days.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Unread postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 23:59

mcruic wrote:

They've still only beaten one team that is currently higher than them in the rankings, though (Cook Islands in 2018).

They have defeated us at the Pan American Games...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 17:03

Do we know if the winner of the Challenger Series will be the best placed of a general chart involving all the three tournaments (Vina, Montevideo, Hong Kong), or if viceversa the winner of Hong Kong takes it all?
I mean: the ranking after the first two steps will be maintained in Hong Kong or the qualified teams will restart from zero?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 17:18

thatrugbyguy wrote:
nick511 wrote:

There was a news story a few weeks bad of possible legal challenge to WR handling of this. I keep saying it, they cannot run both the mens and women's events combined over two days.

Honestly I do enjoy both tournaments together and no QFs. Much better, more emotion. Their mistake is to change the rules in the middle of the season, which is amateurish.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 06:34

Which is exactly why it will possible end up in court.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Unread postby Pichulonko » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 22:00

Canalina wrote:Do we know if the winner of the Challenger Series will be the best placed of a general chart involving all the three tournaments (Vina, Montevideo, Hong Kong), or if viceversa the winner of Hong Kong takes it all?
I mean: the ranking after the first two steps will be maintained in Hong Kong or the qualified teams will restart from zero?

As far as I understand it, the Challenger Series only has two legs, Viña del Mar and Montevideo, with the top point earner taking the trophy home. Aside from that the top eight teams make it to the HK Qualy seeded as they finished the Challenger Series.

In other words it's a "fresh start" for the teams in HK, with the winner qualifying to the WR 7s Series.

I know what you're thinking: With this format the Challenger Series winner can miss out on qualifying for the World Rugby Series in HK. Absolutely.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum