Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Super Rugby expansion

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Super Rugby expansion

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 08:09

Coloradoan wrote:
Yes, they are poor. When the attendance doubles overnight by moving an event to a different market, that is a good sign the previous market was not good. I attended the 7s in LA from the beginning and the switch to SD was night and day. Maybe you should stop and listen for once from people who have actually been around the game for longer than a couple years instead of relying on Google searches.

We've been talking in this circle for some time. You're not from LA, you either have an anti-Los Angeles thing or don't understand that we're just sucking at selling the product. Houston and Texan Rugby Communities have showed out by comparison. I got that. But we're not talking sellouts. Even New York isn't selling out Test matches against an opponent that makes sense for the market. Our Market Cap is small because we're completely reliant on our participants to plan their lives around Eagles Tests. Can't do that when you have Millions less than Soccer.

But this is about Super Rugby Expansion...a team in Hawai'i would fail. There's a reason that only yearly one-offs occur there. Ironman Kona and the Hawai'i Bowl being the two largest. Also...another place where it's getting too stupid to live on dollars wise.

Postby 4N » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 14:22

I think Hawaii is a perfect market. Bigger than many in SR already, good timezone, not a crazy flight from NZ. You could get the best pick of athletes in the US too probably, lots of local kids don't want to leave their families to go to school on the mainland. I personally saw more rugby jerseys walking around there than anywhere in the US I have been.

Another outside-the-box option would be playing in the Mitre 10 Cup. But SR is obviously more attractive.

But you're right the cost of living and housing on Oahu especially is becoming ridiculous.

Postby 4N » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 14:26

Sables4EVA wrote:
4N wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:Isn't there a big rugby community in Florida too?

There are good youth rugby setups in a few cities but it has lots of room to grow. Florida has some of the best athletes in the US, guys like Perry Baker and Cam Dolan are from there not to mention some of the NFL's best.

Would think its immigrant population would have a passing interest in the game too.

Yes. Lots of Brits, Saffers, Argentines. I watched Argentina vs Ireland RWC 2003 at an Irish pub in Ft Lauderdale that was packed with Pumas fans.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 16:32

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
Yes, they are poor. When the attendance doubles overnight by moving an event to a different market, that is a good sign the previous market was not good. I attended the 7s in LA from the beginning and the switch to SD was night and day. Maybe you should stop and listen for once from people who have actually been around the game for longer than a couple years instead of relying on Google searches.

We've been talking in this circle for some time. You're not from LA, you either have an anti-Los Angeles thing or don't understand that we're just sucking at selling the product. Houston and Texan Rugby Communities have showed out by comparison. I got that. But we're not talking sellouts. Even New York isn't selling out Test matches against an opponent that makes sense for the market. Our Market Cap is small because we're completely reliant on our participants to plan their lives around Eagles Tests. Can't do that when you have Millions less than Soccer.

But this is about Super Rugby Expansion...a team in Hawai'i would fail. There's a reason that only yearly one-offs occur there. Ironman Kona and the Hawai'i Bowl being the two largest. Also...another place where it's getting too stupid to live on dollars wise.

LA is a cool, fun city that I would personally prefer to attend a test match in to somewhere like Houston, but objectively it is not a good market for rugby. I absolutely understand that USAR does a piss poor job of promoting rugby wherever it is, but it's still wiser to start in a place where you already have a seemingly receptive base.

I have no idea whether or not a Hawaii Super Rugby franchise would succeed or not (4N has good intimate knowledge on the subject), but the reason Hawaii only hosts one off events is because the market isn't big enough to justify the expense of flying back and forth when compared to other US markets. 1.4 million is a small market in the context of major US sporting leagues, but it's not that small in the context of Super Rugby.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 20:13

4N wrote:I think Hawaii is a perfect market. Bigger than many in SR already, good timezone, not a crazy flight from NZ. You could get the best pick of athletes in the US too probably, lots of local kids don't want to leave their families to go to school on the mainland. I personally saw more rugby jerseys walking around there than anywhere in the US I have been.

Another outside-the-box option would be playing in the Mitre 10 Cup. But SR is obviously more attractive.

But you're right the cost of living and housing on Oahu especially is becoming ridiculous.

I wouldn’t say it’s a perfect market but it’s one to look into. It has he benefit of a large Islander community (obviously) but at the same time many of the islanders live in poverty. It’s a very expensive place to live and there isn’t a large enough potential fanbase to make consistent pro teams work. Maybe if the population identifies with rugby because of the Islander connection it could work but I think it’s best served as a one-off location for SR games.

I think we should be seriously cultivating rugby in the area because of the islanders present - they have a very small representation in the US so it’d be great to give them a sport they can really latch onto as their own.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum