Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Rugby in the Netherlands

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in the Netherlands

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby iul » Tue, 16 Dec 2014, 21:34

If I'm reading that report right... on page 6 it sais they only had 1.8 million euro of revenues in 2013?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 17 Dec 2014, 07:54

4N wrote:By the NRB's own records, they spent €600,000 on the women's sevens side last year.

Page 15: http://www.rugby.nl/sites/default/files ... 20Bond.pdf

Yes but on the other hand a good deal of income was received for the women's 7s. The income under "topsport" is a grant that I think has to do with olympic sports. Also they have a good sponsorship deal. What cant be quantified is the positive publicity on tv from having a team doing well. Im not saying it hasent been overspent but it is not as black and white as womens 7s lost 600000 Euro.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 17 Dec 2014, 08:20

iul wrote:If I'm reading that report right... on page 6 it sais they only had 1.8 million euro of revenues in 2013?

Yes, I think you are reading it right. I don't know what you mean by "only" 1.8 m Euro. It sounds like alot to me. It is about what was budgeted to spend, but they havent spent within budget for a few years.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 17 Dec 2014, 09:28

NedRugby wrote:
iul wrote:If I'm reading that report right... on page 6 it sais they only had 1.8 million euro of revenues in 2013?

Yes, I think you are reading it right. I don't know what you mean by "only" 1.8 m Euro. It sounds like alot to me. It is about what was budgeted to spend, but they havent spent within budget for a few years.

The Romanian union had revenues of 2.92 million euro in 2013. And it doesn't charge its affiliated members anything.
I would have expected a union with 10k members from a wealthy country to have more revenues, though, I suppose, it also matters how big the sport is there.

Anyway, I am quite disappointed with the low number of spectators your national team gets for their games. I see they have about 80 clubs listed on their site. Perhaps they could introduce a scheme where each club has to buy 100 tickets for every game and sell them, or pay them to the union even if they don't sell them. The Netherlands is a small country, everything's within a couple of hours of Amsterdam, so it's not like it would be a huge expense for people to go to the match, and you guys only have 2-3 games a year at home anyway.
Suddenly you'd average 8-9k spectators at home and that would make it much more attractive for sponsors or maybe some TV channel to broadcast the game.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Wed, 17 Dec 2014, 15:16

If my pdigin german stranslation of dutch is correct (the languages are similar), then they have made a 150k loss on the womens world series, overspent 70k on PR, which I would guess is for the amsterdam sevens event, and buried another 120k in organisation costs, of which around 30k apepars to relate to 'events'. But they have separated the items in a way that makes comparison difficult. It seems to be that their grants have been cut by 270k, but it is hard to translate what it was for, it seems to be olympic money. The pitch doesnt appear in the assets, so I would guess it doesnt belong to them.

Overall this sounds remarkably like what happened to the German federation with 7s rugby.... planned on government grants, misunderstood what was securely granted, spent it then found out they wern't getting what they expected, huge loss, government rescue... and five years later there is still no money for ANYTHING... and probably won't be for another 5 years... meanwhile the clubs membership fees for the association here in germany have been doubled this year, but at least only 10 euros per member...

I think the international bodies have to take some responsibility and refuse to allow the smaller federations to take part in sevens events or series without (a) taking on competent advisors who understand the risks inherent in public money/have competently trained finance staff (b) passing a financial due diligence test that shows the organsiation has a emergency plan if funding is cut. These are amateur organisations run by people with little experience to qualify them for management responsibilities.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Wed, 17 Dec 2014, 15:47

The German federal budget is 0.8 mio, and the states have separate budgets that are hard to break out as there are various recharges, i would guess federal and state together comes out at around 1.2-1.5 mio income in total, which would be similar to Holland if they didn't have a fully funded womens team.

http://www.rugby-verband.de/wp-content/ ... aben_1.pdf

I think you have to understand that there is very little scope for revenue generation, it is below 100k in Germany at the federal level (and around 0 locally). Most of the money is from the goverment in some form (c.450k) or directly from the clubs/members (c150-200k depending on how you measure it). There simply isn't a public. How does Romania generate its income?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 21 Dec 2014, 10:10

The clubs voted in favour of the rescue deal. So the danger of bankruptcy is put off untill we see if every one pays the 80 Euros before February.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 21 Dec 2014, 14:11

The Dutch Rugby Union seems to be safe from imminent bankruptcy. During a general meeting in Amsterdam a rescue plan was adopted.

Adult members must transfer €80 to the account of the NRB before February 1. Juniors will be asked €40. In this way 10,000 rugby players will donate an estimated €688,000. "Several creditors will contribute a total of € 400,000," said interim president Janhein Pieterse. "This way we will get rid of about €1 million of debt."

As many as 79 of the total 82 rugby clubs attended the meeting in Amsterdam on Saturday. The rescue plan was approved by 85 percent of the vote.

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1021/Meer-sport/ ... ment.dhtml
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Sun, 21 Dec 2014, 15:28

So the players have to individually transfer the money directly?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 21 Dec 2014, 23:04

That was the plan at first. Now the clubs are responsable for finding the money, but it is still the same amount per player. I suppose it lets them do fund raiser activities like this one in Haarlem: http://www.haarlemsdagblad.nl/glazenhui ... o-op-video
I have no idee how it works, but it raised 1000 Euro.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 22 Dec 2014, 00:57

Has the NRB come up with a reasonable budget going forward that they've announced to their members?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 12 Feb 2015, 20:39

The rescue plan seems to be working. The NRB has reeived an advance from World Rugby and from the Dutch Olympic Comitee, and this has helped them meet the immediate deadlines. 90% of what was needed from the members has been received, a few clubs have asked for a longer delay to pay. The biggest 20 creditors have accepted a 50% return, but the 250 smaller creditors, including personnel, are still in discussion.

Here is an article in Dutch which you can use Google translate on if you want:

http://nos.nl/artikel/2018670-redding-nabij-voor-rugbybond.html

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Fri, 13 Feb 2015, 10:07

NedRugby wrote:The rescue plan seems to be working. The NRB has reeived an advance from World Rugby and from the Dutch Olympic Comitee, and this has helped them meet the immediate deadlines. 90% of what was needed from the members has been received, a few clubs have asked for a longer delay to pay. The biggest 20 creditors have accepted a 50% return, but the 250 smaller creditors, including personnel, are still in discussion.

Here is an article in Dutch which you can use Google translate on if you want:

http://nos.nl/artikel/2018670-redding-nabij-voor-rugbybond.html

I have to admit I was cyncical about the chances of success, but that is pretty good work. I hope it doesnt damage investment or participation long term.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 13 Feb 2015, 15:20

I have seen that there is no mens team in the European grand prix 7's. Also Scrumqueens says that NL will not take part in the European trophy (womens 15's) even though they won it in 2014. At the moment the u18's are still registered for their competition so I don't know if any other sacrifices will have to be made.

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/rugby-europe%E2%80%99s-xvs-tournament-plans

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 15:27

I cant find out anything on the NRB site about the match tomorrow. They need to get a volunteer to run the website for them. Most clubs can keep at least up to date on their sites. Its a shame the union cant.

National Flag:
Isle of ManIsle of Man

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 15:57

NedRugby wrote:I cant find out anything on the NRB site about the match tomorrow. They need to get a volunteer to run the website for them. Most clubs can keep at least up to date on their sites. Its a shame the union cant.

So at least they got a poster ready

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 17:34

Cool. That poster was posted on the Facebook page on 12 Feb. I havent seen a team announced so I guess it will be the same as last week.

Postby 4N » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 18:03

Poor from both unions, really. Should have a 25 man squad published at very least, if not the matchday 23.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 21:29

The guy who was tweeting from the Belgium match last week has been asked to do it for the official NRB account tomorrow - @NRBnieuws No live stream though which is still bad.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 07:06

A new quarterly Dutch rugby magazine has appeared. There are a few interesting articles in it so I hope it can do enough business to continue. So apparently Rugby Nederland (though the article uses the old name NRB) is planning to re-launch the men's 7s team. Looking for sponsors etc. but should be good to go for 2017. They are even suggesting 2016 if they can work something out with Rugby Europe. That seems unlikely to me though.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 15 Apr 2016, 23:10

Nice to see Rugby Nederland is finally joining the 21st century. Tomorrow's (Saturday's) championship finals are being streamed, women at 13:00, men at 15:00: http://www.rugby.nl/blog/live-streaming ... p-16-april. That's 12:00 and 14:00 UK time.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 15 May 2016, 05:37

Two members of this season's Netherlands U18 team will be joining Montpellier U22 next season. Great news for Koen Bloem and Kevin Krieger. I wonder if we'll ever see them in an orange shirt again.
https://facebook.com/NederlandU18/

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 14 Oct 2016, 21:02

Just thought I would keep this thread alive.

Much of the talk over the last year or two has been about keeping the NRB (now Rugby Nederland) from bankruptcy. Nobody seems to be talking about that now which is good.

Dutch women take on the favourites Spain in the final of the RE championship tomorrow (15s).
Streaming via rugbyeurope.tv . The 7s team seems to have taken a step back from being fully professional 7s players. Failing to qualify for Rio probably put a nail in that coffin. On the positive side the 7s players have been free to play for the 15s team which has given a new lease of life to 15s. Something similar seems to have have happend with the Spanish and Russian women who have started using their top 7s players in 15s.

Regarding the men's national team, I think this will be a very competitive league.

Portugal: newly relegated from the top flight, obviously a good team and will want to show that they belong up in the top division.
Moldova: very strong pack. Very tough to play in Moldova, but vulnerable away from home for some reason.
Poland: last year NL lost by just a point away, and won at home. This season Poland have already thrashed Ukraine, so maybe they have improved.
Ukraine: traditionally quite strong, but got badly beaten by Poland already. Maybe the unrest between Ukraine and Russia is still causing problems? Probably not.
Switzerland: Newly promoted. They could be expected to struggle, but I suspect they are a team on the up. I am impressed by what Servette Geneve is doing, and I hope it bears fruit for the national team.

In conclusion, probable final table:

1 Portugal
2 Poland
3 Moldova
4 Netherlands
5 Switzerland
6 Ukraine

I'd be interested in what others think.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Fri, 14 Oct 2016, 22:04

Oliver Jager from Dublin but playing with Canterbury in NZ is Dutch qualified I believe. He is a prop.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 24 Dec 2016, 08:36

We are at the halfway point of the league season, from here the Ereklasse (premier league) splits in two.
Code: Select all
 Points +/-   Team   -
1  55 310   RC Hilversum
2  47 331   RC 't Gooi (Naarden)
3  33  49   Haagsche RC (The Hague)
4  33  75   Cas RC (Castricum)
5  31 -36   Oemoemenoe (Middelburg)
6  26   9   RC The Bassets (Sassenheim)

7  26 -33    RC Waterland (Purmerend)
8  25  13    Dukes ('s Hertogenbosch)
9  17 -83    RC DIOK (Leiden)
10 16 -96    Amstelveense RC
11 11 -177   A.S.R.V. Ascrum (Amsterdam Students)
12 10 -262   Hookers (Hook of Holland)

For those interested in what Ereklasse rugby looks like there is an internet channel showing most of the tries each week : http://www.nederland.tv/studiorugby You can also find it on YouTube.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum