Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in the Netherlands

User avatar
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 23:16
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 12:53

NedRugby wrote:New Dutch/Belgian comptetion.
Image
Where did you find this one?
It's neither on the Dutch or the Belgian website.

Pool A consists of last season champions and runners up.
Pool B consists of numbers 3 and 4.

I do know that there are calls within the Dutch union to reduce the number of teams (12) in the Ereklasse in order to create more high level games.
This would surely fit that purpose.
The scheduling is also interesting as that it concludes very early in the season, before the start of the national competitions.
This (revived North Sea Cup) would be early enough to appoint the winner as entry for the Continental shield.

Most probably however it's more about exploring the viability of this competition setup.
Either way it's a positive and unevitable step if domestic rugby is to be brought to the next level in our countries.

Online
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 14:19
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby sammo » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 13:05

Silver Fox wrote:
NedRugby wrote:New Dutch/Belgian comptetion.
Image
Where did you find this one?
It's neither on the Dutch or the Belgian website.

Pool A consists of last season champions and runners up.
Pool B consists of numbers 3 and 4.

I do know that there are calls within the Dutch union to reduce the number of teams (12) in the Ereklasse in order to create more high level games.
This would surely fit that purpose.
The scheduling is also interesting as that it concludes very early in the season, before the start of the national competitions.
This (revived North Sea Cup) would be early enough to appoint the winner as entry for the Continental shield.

Most probably however it's more about exploring the viability of this competition setup.
Either way it's a positive and unevitable step if domestic rugby is to be brought to the next level in our countries.


Info here - https://www.sportkipik.be/benecup-les-p ... a-finale-a

They are calling it the BeNeCup

Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby amz » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 13:08

Rugby is about the same level in Netherlands and Belgium, why not a joint league with best clubs to raise the profile?

Posts: 17
Joined: Mon, 21 May 2018, 12:45
National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby JLJordaan » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 14:33

amz wrote:Rugby is about the same level in Netherlands and Belgium, why not a joint league with best clubs to raise the profile?


Agreed, should probably create a benelux league or something. Not sure how competitive a Luxembourg team would be though.

User avatar
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby iul » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 14:34

naah, don't kill off the national leagues. A competition like this that sits on top of the national leagues is the perfect solution

Posts: 184
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 14:58

iul wrote:naah, don't kill off the national leagues. A competition like this that sits on top of the national leagues is the perfect solution

Not if you want to turn pro in a quick time. Joint league is the best way. None of these countries have potential (right now) to have a pro league before a long time.
But in short / mid term, maybe with Germans, you can hope for it - or at least a good semi-pro league, similar to current Spanish one.

Posts: 293
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby Raven » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 15:10

JLJordaan wrote:
amz wrote:Rugby is about the same level in Netherlands and Belgium, why not a joint league with best clubs to raise the profile?


Agreed, should probably create a benelux league or something. Not sure how competitive a Luxembourg team would be though.


Well, the primary source of the Luxembourg National team is RC Luxembourg that has played in the German system since 2009, mainly in the second division, with their 2nd team also playing in German ranks. I don´t see a reason why they should consider leaving if they intend to keep growing.

The other Lux club (Rugby Club Walferdange) plays in the third or fourth division in Belgium so I would imagine them being thrashed by the biggest/best teams in both Belgium and Netherlands.

vino_93 wrote:
iul wrote:naah, don't kill off the national leagues. A competition like this that sits on top of the national leagues is the perfect solution

Not if you want to turn pro in a quick time. Joint league is the best way. None of these countries have potential (right now) to have a pro league before a long time.
But in short / mid term, maybe with Germans, you can hope for it - or at least a good semi-pro league, similar to current Spanish one.


Germany is another animal and wouldn´t merge them to a BEL&NED set up. All participant German teams got bored of the North Sea Cup for one reason or another, and never took off.

User avatar
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 16:15

Silver Fox wrote:Where did you find this one?
It's neither on the Dutch or the Belgian website.


I found it on Facebook. There is a video of the draw here: https://www.facebook.com/rugby.nl/video ... 073580091/

Posts: 1161
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 00:04

vino_93 wrote:
iul wrote:naah, don't kill off the national leagues. A competition like this that sits on top of the national leagues is the perfect solution

Not if you want to turn pro in a quick time. Joint league is the best way. None of these countries have potential (right now) to have a pro league before a long time.
But in short / mid term, maybe with Germans, you can hope for it - or at least a good semi-pro league, similar to current Spanish one.


It all depends on what the objectives of this competition are. Is it to just provide extra games for the top clubs or is it to feel out the potential for a professional league in the future. Personally, I like the idea of both Belgium and the Netherlands joining forces to create their own professional league. Both are there or there about and are in need for such a structure to help them take the next step. Will be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

User avatar
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 23:16
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 18:30

The objectives of this competition indicate to the latter of your two options, to feel out the potential for a professional league in the future.
In this announcement https://www.sportkipik.be/documents/BeNeCup.pdf the objectives of this cup are outlined:
• to provide an attractive competition to our top 4 clubs
• to retain the HIPO's we train and educate in our domestic clubs
• to gain in visibility and create rugby awareness
• to attract corporate sponsors into our game
• to create an HP aspiration for all the other clubs wishing to catch the train
• to increase the role of our national referees.

This ofcourse isn't done by a three game tournament (of which one also counts for the domestic competition), but I feel it is just fine to give it some footing, create familiarity and build from there.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Was_a_Kat, welshdragon2000, YamahaKiwi and 13 guests