Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in the Netherlands

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby suofficer » Fri, 30 Dec 2016, 09:38

I have tried my best with the Dutch website, and its more a reflection on me than the website i suspect. I am trying to plan to visit for the Portugal game. Could someone provide me with the location and any insider tips? Many thanks

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Werner » Fri, 30 Dec 2016, 10:24

suofficer wrote:I have tried my best with the Dutch website, and its more a reflection on me than the website i suspect. I am trying to plan to visit for the Portugal game. Could someone provide me with the location and any insider tips? Many thanks
If not noted otherwise they play in the national rugby centre in Amsterdam. 90+% of their international events take place there.
http://www.rugby.nl/contact

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Fri, 30 Dec 2016, 11:43

Thank you. I'll post in here again before the game and see if anyone else is going and keen for a beer.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 31 Dec 2016, 11:49

I will very likely be going to the match. Send me a PM closer to the time and let's see if we can meet up.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 19 Jan 2018, 18:11

NedRugby wrote:Two members of this season's Netherlands U18 team will be joining Montpellier U22 next season. Great news for Koen Bloem and Kevin Krieger. I wonder if we'll ever see them in an orange shirt again.
https://facebook.com/NederlandU18/

Quoting myself from two years ago. Very happy to see Kevin Krieger included in the training squad for the upcoming Trophy matches:
http://www.rugby.nl/sites/default/files ... rtugal.pdf

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 09:51

Only selfish Zeno Kieft missing.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 19:07

There are three French based players in the squad, but all a bit lower profile than Kieft. Krieger, whilst he belongs to a top club, is in the espoirs. The other two play at Federale 2 level (4th tier of French rugby). But they are still young and are largely a product of the Dutch youth system and are trying to improve their rugby by playing abroad. Same with Quinten Koster at Loughborough in England. I find this far more promising than the Kiwis and Brits who come for a few years and are handed an orange jersey.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 03 Feb 2018, 13:44

Dutch No.8 Dave Koelman played and scored today for Leicester Tigers U-18s.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 03 Feb 2018, 15:38

He started playing rugby in 2014/15 season so he's made quick progress. I think he's no longer qualified for U18 but is now in the Dutch U 20 squad.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 19:22

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 23:24

Former Dutch U20 player Stan van den Hoven has been playing for Bay of Plenty in NZ this season and has been selected for the extended NZ U20 squad as they prepare for the U20 World championships. http://www.allblacks.com/News/32115/und ... -selection
I guess there is no 3 year residency rule for U20s. Good luck to him, and if makes it into the team it doesn't prevent him from still representing the Netherlands if he comes back north. The U20s doesn't count as New Zealand's "Next Senior National Representative Team" like it does for many other countries.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 23:34

And anyway World Rugby stated last year that no U20 national was any longer a representative team. So just be quiet for now ;)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 07:34

NedRugby wrote:I guess there is no 3 year residency rule for U20s.

Just to get that right. What happens if a guys moves somewhere else at 19 and than plays for the U20 national team. Can he than go on to represent the national team without the waiting period? Would be strange if somebody from your U20 can't play for the senior side...

Is it another loop-hole?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 11:05

NedRugby wrote:Former Dutch U20 player Stan van den Hoven has been playing for Bay of Plenty in NZ this season and has been selected for the extended NZ U20 squad as they prepare for the U20 World championships. http://www.allblacks.com/News/32115/und ... -selection
I guess there is no 3 year residency rule for U20s. Good luck to him, and if makes it into the team it doesn't prevent him from still representing the Netherlands if he comes back north. The U20s doesn't count as New Zealand's "Next Senior National Representative Team" like it does for many other countries.

I hope he goes back and plays for the Netherlands. You guys need him much more than we do and it's bad enough we get fingers pointed at us for stealing PI talent, without getting crap thrown at us for stealing Dutch talent! Tbh I'd be very upset if we took a player developed by a T3 European union for ourselves. Really he shouldn't make himself available for NZ, and the NZRFU shouldn't be offering places to a guy who has only been here 1yr unless he has close familial associations with NZ. Of course if he's actually a Dutch-Kiwi then no problem.

Completely ot, but some very familiar NZ rugby surnames in squad and unavailable list so he's in good company - Tremain, Sotutu, Clarke, Plumtree, McDowall...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 11:42

RugbyLiebe wrote:

Just to get that right. What happens if a guys moves somewhere else at 19 and than plays for the U20 national team. Can he than go on to represent the national team without the waiting period? Would be strange if somebody from your U20 can't play for the senior side...

Is it another loop-hole?

About U20, I wasn't aware, but I knew it was the case for U18. It's the place you're living in that counts, but you are also given the chance to play for the team you were born in, or the one from your fathers and grandparents. That's why we've got players who have represented both Spain and Argentina or Spain and England in underage categories.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby ormond lad » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 13:02

Ive a close friend playing in the ereklasse at the moment. He was quite surprised at standard of the league
Great to see.
Havent caught any games myself yet but hope to get over and see a few next season

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 16:59

There was a guy who was producing a digest of all the tries in the Ereklasse, but he seems to have stopped this season. You can still see some of the videos from last year on the Youtube channel. Camerawork is (literally) amateur, so you have to take it for what it is.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtLKrw ... qwbleiRUGw

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 09 May 2018, 17:07

With the Netherlands improving in the Rankings, is there a chance to see the Dutch national team taking part in the June or November tests this year?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Wed, 09 May 2018, 22:22

RugbyLiebe wrote:

Is it another loop-hole?

01/01/2018 12:59
EXPLANATORY GUIDELINES ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF REGULATION 8
ELIGIBILITY TO PLAY FOR NATIONAL REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS

8. Do the eligibility criteria apply to all forms of Rugby?

The eligibility criteria apply to the fifteen-a-side Game at senior and next senior National Representative level and in respect of a Union’s senior National Representative Sevens Team.

So, no, the 3 year residency, or 5 year residency doesn't apply for U20 level. (at least as of 01/01/2018)

I was trying to think of a high profile example of a player who I knew to be 'serving' the 3 year residency qualification during their U20 years. The most high profile I could think of was Tongan Thor. He never actually played for Australia U20, but this article suggests that was only due to injury, not eligibilty.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... -wallabies

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Wed, 09 May 2018, 22:34

But as for van den Hoven and NZ age-grade teams. I don't recall any of the PI scholarship guys ever playing for NZ at age group level. E.g. So players not yeat available under the 3 years residency period (Sivivatu, Tamanivalu, Fekitoa) Although plenty of them seemed to be late developers anyway (Fifita, Frizzell, Halai).

This article from 2017 about Sevu Reece: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sev ... to-the-top
The 19-year-old Fijian flyer is coming off a whirlwind 2016 and is looking to start this year with a bang as well, however, the pocket-rocket (1.79m, 87kg) with the searing pace and dazzling feet faces almost two more years before he can show his talents on the world stage, as he eyes up a spot at the 2020 Olympics.

Reece moved to New Zealand in 2014 on a scholarship to Hamilton Boys' High School and immediately starred in both sevens and 15s, representing New Zealand Secondary Schools in the latter. Last year, his first out of school, he joined the Melville club, played across the backline, finished as their top points scorer and helped them to their first Waikato championship in 35 years, before stepping up to Mitre 10 Cup level and showing his prowess on the wing for the Mooloos.

But because Reece came here via scholarship, and not off his own bat, there's a three-year stand-down period from the time he finishes school before New Zealand Rugby grant him eligible to wear black. It's understandable, but it's made Reece have to play the waiting game. He would have been a shoo-in for the national Under-20 side, while All Blacks sevens camps have also had to sit tantalisingly in the background.

But it's a local newspaper article for the Waikato Times by a Hamilton journalist. I wouldn't take it as gospel that those are/were NZRU or WR rules.

It's also possible in the WR article i linked above that WR rules changed 01/01/2018.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 10 May 2018, 23:21

YamahaKiwi wrote:
NedRugby wrote:Former Dutch U20 player Stan van den Hoven has been playing for Bay of Plenty in NZ this season and has been selected for the extended NZ U20 squad as they prepare for the U20 World championships. http://www.allblacks.com/News/32115/und ... -selection

I hope he goes back and plays for the Netherlands. You guys need him much more than we do and it's bad enough we get fingers pointed at us for stealing PI talent, without getting crap thrown at us for stealing Dutch talent!

Happy to report that Van den Hoven did play for NL-U20 in the recent Euros. Less happy to report that the Dutch pack got shoved all over the park by all the opponents faced.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 28 May 2018, 10:58

Another young Dutch player is heading to France. 19 year old Jesse de Vries is moving to Aurillac who play in the French Pro D2. He has not been capped for the Netherlands, but was part of the U20 squad which took part in the recent European championships. I think this means he is captured for the Netherlands national team. He is one of that rare breed - a forward who is also a goal-kicker.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 28 May 2018, 11:50

NedRugby wrote:Another young Dutch player is heading to France. 19 year old Jesse de Vries is moving to Aurillac who play in the French Pro D2. He has not been capped for the Netherlands, but was part of the U20 squad which took part in the recent European championships. I think this means he is captured for the Netherlands national team. He is one of that rare breed - a forward who is also a goal-kicker.

It doesn't.

Postby 4N » Mon, 28 May 2018, 17:03

Seems like Dutch academies are doing well. Nice work for all involved.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 29 May 2018, 17:49

Armchair Fan wrote:
NedRugby wrote:Another young Dutch player is heading to France. 19 year old Jesse de Vries is moving to Aurillac who play in the French Pro D2. He has not been capped for the Netherlands, but was part of the U20 squad which took part in the recent European championships. I think this means he is captured for the Netherlands national team. He is one of that rare breed - a forward who is also a goal-kicker.

It doesn't.

You are right. I could only find this pdf which is why I added "I think". I had a feeling something had changed, and now I've come across this link which summarises the recent changes to Regulation 8, including this:
Unions may no longer nominate their U20s team as their next senior national representative team (effective January 1, 2018).

Still, though he may be good by Dutch standards I doubt he'd be knocking on the door af a T1 national team.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum