Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in the Netherlands

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 12:53

NedRugby wrote:New Dutch/Belgian comptetion.
Where did you find this one?
It's neither on the Dutch or the Belgian website.

Pool A consists of last season champions and runners up.
Pool B consists of numbers 3 and 4.

I do know that there are calls within the Dutch union to reduce the number of teams (12) in the Ereklasse in order to create more high level games.
This would surely fit that purpose.
The scheduling is also interesting as that it concludes very early in the season, before the start of the national competitions.
This (revived North Sea Cup) would be early enough to appoint the winner as entry for the Continental shield.

Most probably however it's more about exploring the viability of this competition setup.
Either way it's a positive and unevitable step if domestic rugby is to be brought to the next level in our countries.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 13:05

Silver Fox wrote:
NedRugby wrote:New Dutch/Belgian comptetion.
Where did you find this one?

Pool A consists of last season champions and runners up.
Pool B consists of numbers 3 and 4.

I do know that there are calls within the Dutch union to reduce the number of teams (12) in the Ereklasse in order to create more high level games.
This would surely fit that purpose.
The scheduling is also interesting as that it concludes very early in the season, before the start of the national competitions.
This (revived North Sea Cup) would be early enough to appoint the winner as entry for the Continental shield.

Most probably however it's more about exploring the viability of this competition setup.
Either way it's a positive and unevitable step if domestic rugby is to be brought to the next level in our countries.

Info here - https://www.sportkipik.be/benecup-les-p ... a-finale-a

They are calling it the BeNeCup

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 13:08

Rugby is about the same level in Netherlands and Belgium, why not a joint league with best clubs to raise the profile?

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 14:33

amz wrote:Rugby is about the same level in Netherlands and Belgium, why not a joint league with best clubs to raise the profile?

Agreed, should probably create a benelux league or something. Not sure how competitive a Luxembourg team would be though.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 14:34

naah, don't kill off the national leagues. A competition like this that sits on top of the national leagues is the perfect solution

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 14:58

iul wrote:naah, don't kill off the national leagues. A competition like this that sits on top of the national leagues is the perfect solution

Not if you want to turn pro in a quick time. Joint league is the best way. None of these countries have potential (right now) to have a pro league before a long time.
But in short / mid term, maybe with Germans, you can hope for it - or at least a good semi-pro league, similar to current Spanish one.

Postby Raven » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 15:10

JLJordaan wrote:
amz wrote:Rugby is about the same level in Netherlands and Belgium, why not a joint league with best clubs to raise the profile?

Agreed, should probably create a benelux league or something. Not sure how competitive a Luxembourg team would be though.

Well, the primary source of the Luxembourg National team is RC Luxembourg that has played in the German system since 2009, mainly in the second division, with their 2nd team also playing in German ranks. I don´t see a reason why they should consider leaving if they intend to keep growing.

The other Lux club (Rugby Club Walferdange) plays in the third or fourth division in Belgium so I would imagine them being thrashed by the biggest/best teams in both Belgium and Netherlands.

vino_93 wrote:
iul wrote:naah, don't kill off the national leagues. A competition like this that sits on top of the national leagues is the perfect solution

Not if you want to turn pro in a quick time. Joint league is the best way. None of these countries have potential (right now) to have a pro league before a long time.
But in short / mid term, maybe with Germans, you can hope for it - or at least a good semi-pro league, similar to current Spanish one.

Germany is another animal and wouldn´t merge them to a BEL&NED set up. All participant German teams got bored of the North Sea Cup for one reason or another, and never took off.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 16:15

Silver Fox wrote:Where did you find this one?

I found it on Facebook. There is a video of the draw here: https://www.facebook.com/rugby.nl/video ... 073580091/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 00:04

vino_93 wrote:

It all depends on what the objectives of this competition are. Is it to just provide extra games for the top clubs or is it to feel out the potential for a professional league in the future. Personally, I like the idea of both Belgium and the Netherlands joining forces to create their own professional league. Both are there or there about and are in need for such a structure to help them take the next step. Will be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 18:30

The objectives of this competition indicate to the latter of your two options, to feel out the potential for a professional league in the future.
In this announcement https://www.sportkipik.be/documents/BeNeCup.pdf the objectives of this cup are outlined:
• to provide an attractive competition to our top 4 clubs
• to retain the HIPO's we train and educate in our domestic clubs
• to gain in visibility and create rugby awareness
• to attract corporate sponsors into our game
• to create an HP aspiration for all the other clubs wishing to catch the train
• to increase the role of our national referees.

This ofcourse isn't done by a three game tournament (of which one also counts for the domestic competition), but I feel it is just fine to give it some footing, create familiarity and build from there.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 09:34

I came across an article on and English language Dutch website aimed at expats. https://www.dutchnews.nl/features/2018/ ... in-prison/
It raises a few interesting points. The article was written in May, and states:
On the professional field it has been confirmed that Brazil will visit Amsterdam on 16th June in an exciting game against the Dutch, a result which if positive, will raise the Rugby NL team to 26th in the IRB ranking.
This is the only time I ever read about such a match so I presume it never went ahead.
Also, with a hint at the recently announced pre-season Dutch-Belgian competition (see posts above) there is this:
"We’re in talks with Rugby Europe. We want to set up more regional competitions and start a semi-professional competition."

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 11:31

Even semi-professional would be a good starting point.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 21:42

This is the only time I ever read about such a match so I presume it never went ahead.

It was indeed planned but it wasn't possible for some reason.

I heard about it here with people involved with the national team by May.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 12:57

Very good article on Dutch rugby, at least for me as a foreigner. Apparently the Dutch u20 have more players on professional contract than any other Tier 2 country except Georgia. Quite a few playing in NZ. You guys produce some big ass children so I'd be scared to see what happens if you can sculpt them into rugby players.

http://tier2rugby.blogspot.com/2018/07/ ... young.html

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 15:22

I was reading that...3 guys ain't much, and if the other big players signed previously, one has 33 Scotland caps. I wouldn't count him to be honest. Not directly from this last U20 team...but we have a bunch of kids in Academies, two from this current U20 team: De Haas and Ainuu.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 16:33

No, you're counting the 3 players who ever came from the Netherlands and went professional. This article is saying that in the past 2 years, 6 players from a single u20 side have received professional contracts. Considering the fact that his is twice the amount of pros to ever come from the country and they are all from the same u20 team makes it special. The point that the author is also trying to make is that this shows that Rugby Nederland is working harder to build connections and get more playing time for their players overseas, something that they have not shown to have tried before.

No one is suggesting that the Netherlands will all of a sudden become a top threat but they are showing that they want to try and make the move up to REC, which I don't think they've been a part of since around 2001. The fact that these 6 players are all still around 20 shows that there is lots of room to grow in the next 5-10 years.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 27 Jul 2018, 07:03

Great blogpost indeed.

The Netherlands have it all, good participation numbers but even more important a really small country with a lot of people. We are talking about 17 million people here, that's nearly Australia. But all crammed together within a 2-3 hour train (!) ride from Amsterdam or even each other. So you can easily bring together all the high performers without even moving them.

And all of this is topped by the tallest population in the world. We are talking about an average (!) height of 1,83m here for a Dutch male. If never ever felt small in my whole life until I stood in a Dutch club and I am 1,90m.

In the long-term the Netherlands will play their role.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Tue, 31 Jul 2018, 02:54

Stan Van Den Hoven was named in BAY OF PLENTY pre-season match.

Looks like he might play NPC this year.

I haven't seen the BOP squad for this year yet. Last year the quality of locks was pretty good for NPC level;
- T Franklin (fringe AB level)
- C Retallick (Super Rugby level)
- K Mewett (not SR level, but did make NZ Maori last year)
- T Callander (not SR level, but former NZ U20 player).

Plus Tyler Ardron as lock/loose forward.

I'm not sure how many of those are returning this year.

Edit. Callum Retallick has retired.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby Loohr » Thu, 23 Aug 2018, 17:19

Dutch international Alexander Barendregt play the first game of the season with Wellington in Mitre 10 Cup. (prop n°18)

https://www.wrfu.co.nz/news/post/wellin ... on-opener/

Postby Raven » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 16:07

Just saw that Giorgi Tskitishvili is in Nice (Federale 1) after a few years of going AWOL...

http://www.stadenicois.com/actualites/l ... 2018-2019/

Pretty impressive amount of players playing overseas, would be great to see them all turning up for the Netherlands...

Edit: Added the team photo link.
Last edited by Raven on Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4N » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 16:27

Tyler Bleyendaal should be Netherlands eligible.

Postby Raven » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 16:31

4N wrote:Tyler Bleyendaal should be Netherlands eligible.

Wasn´t he Irish eligible too?

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 20:11

Raven wrote:
4N wrote:Tyler Bleyendaal should be Netherlands eligible.

Wasn´t he Irish eligible too?

He is now but seems to be too injury prone to remain in rugby long term. Very smart fella apparently so would make a good coach.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 14:23

1st day of the new Benecom cup. There is some livestreaming on YouTube.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 16:16

First result:Dendermonde (B1) - DIOK Leiden (NL3) 28 - 30

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum