RC Hilversum - RC Soignies 57 - 7

Pool B
Dendermondse RC - DIOK LRC 29 - 32
Rugby Ottignies Club - EZRC Oemoemenoe 32 - 7

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 19:07

So only fourth Dutch team lost against a Belgian club... They would make a much better impression in Continental Shield...

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby hag » Mon, 03 Sep 2018, 09:22

Armchair Fan wrote:So only fourth Dutch team lost against a Belgian club... They would make a much better impression in Continental Shield...

Don't forget this a "Pre-season tournament". I don't know if all teams can count on their full squads and if this competition a priority to them.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby louizar » Tue, 04 Sep 2018, 12:24

Yes,

I know that La Hulpe and Dendermonde were playing with half of their squad againt teams that were pretty much unchanged to last season. Having this competition later in the season would represent better the true level of each competition.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 08:10

Yeah, my idea also.

Historically, Dutch clubs have had a slight edge over their Belgian counterparts but in general this difference was small.
But as they say, historical results are no guarantee for the present or the future.
Last weekend for example Dendermonde had their first run-out with 8 new players (among which quite some New Zealanders) under a new coach.
Their oppenents DIOK has 6 core players (among which 5 foreigners) replaced over the summer by 7 imports. So these games are all about testing combinations and gameplans.

That being said, I genuinely have the impression that this competition is taken seriously.
It is starting from scratch with probably little resources but games were streamed live, kick-off times scheduled so that games (within one country) would not clash, post match interviews in front of sponsorboards to satisfiy the sponsors of both the Belgian and Dutch unions.
With that it has the full support of the unions. The other week both unions signed an agreement this competition will be incorporated in the national calendars for at least the coming 4 years. Dutch national head coach Gareth Gilbert even acted as co-commentator on the stream for the 't Gooi - La Hulpe match.

As I understood it the initiative for this competition has come from the (top) clubs. I didn't have the time to watch the streams but I did catch parts of the post match interviews and judging by this players and coaches showed real enthousiasm to have this opportunity to play against better and unfamiliar opposition.
In the past I have always found Dutch rugby rather complacent and happy to be on top of the domestic game.
This appears to be changing and the union, but especially the clubs now appear te become more 'internationally aware'.

This is propably due to the establishment of the (now 6) rugby academies in the last 10 years en the National HP Training Centre now 2 years ago. There young players are growing up with a career in rugby in mind. From a young age they have worked and aimed to play high level rugby when grown up. Some of them will get an opportunity abroad but many of them will have to be accomodated domestically.
They bring an ambition and a certain level of professional attitude to the clubs and are forcing them to orientate more internationally.

This first edition of the BeNeCup is a first step. But to grow and gain profile it needs to expand and move from 'pre-season' to 'in-season'.
It's babysteps now and we will have to wait and see how it develops. But so far I like it.
Last edited by Silver Fox on Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 08:27

Livestreams on the Rugby Nederland streaming channel: https://www.livebroadcast.nl/category/rugby/

Results and standings: https://www.rugby.nl/page/benecup-2018

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 10:34

Next week domestic competitions kick off and again there has been a (slight) increase in the number of participating teams.
The biggest rise is in the number of adults teams whereas the number of youth teams seams to be somewhat stagnant.
Not only have 6 new clubs registered with the union but it seems that the wave of new young players is starting to appear in the adult teams.

Note that the U18 numbers were inflated from 2016 to 2018 because it was U19 then.

It is an encouraging sign that the boost rugby has had after RWC2015 wasn't just a hype and that Rugby Nederland has managed to consolidate the participation numbers and the apparent increase in interest in the sport.
This is obviously helped by the regulation that the tier a club is allowed to play in is determined by the number of youth teams a club has (among other organisational requirements).
I hope that next year in a similar way also RWC2019 can give Dutch (and other nations') rugby another boost.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 17:03

Results matchday 2

Pool A
La Hulpe - RC Hilversum 0 - 19
Soignies - 't Gooi 23 - 28

Pool B
DIOK - Rugby Ottignies Club 37 - 10
Oemoemenoe - Dendermonde 7 - 47

It looks like an all-Dutch final is on the cards.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum