Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in the Netherlands

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Rugby in the Netherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Wed, 12 Dec 2018, 20:04

DEGIRO Ereklasse - Results and standings - Round 10:
One more round to go and the top and bottom six are known for the second phase starting mid Januari.
Last edited by Silver Fox on Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 00:23

All the traditionally strong teams through to the top half.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 20:24

DEGIRO Ereklasse - Results and standings - Final round:

- Despite a win for Castricum over table leaders 't Gooi they loose a position because of their loss earlier in the season to DIOK with whom they ended tied with.
- It's the first loss this season for 't Gooi, but first place was not at risk. Had they not scored a bonus point and ended tied with Hilversum they still would have ended first thanks to their result in the match between the two.
- The top four end pretty close together and showed they all can beat each other. It should be an interesting second half of the season.
At least we won't see that many monsterscores anymore like this weekend.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 00:00

Netherlands play Germany in a friendly to prepare for the upcoming test matches. Friday 1 February, 20.00 kickoff. No idea how close the sides will be to their full-strength sides but it might be interesting to see how well NL does against an ERC team.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 18:47

DEGIRO Ereklasse - Results and standings:

After the holidays break we are already another couple of weeks on our way.
Good to see tightly contested, competitive games.
It seems that perennial title contender Hilversum is having somewhat of a rusty start. But it's still early season.

If you are having trouble figuring out the number of match points for the teams, number one of the seasons' first half started poule phase with 5 bonus points, number 2 with 4 points and so down to number 6 with no bonus.
In the champions poule the final numbers one and two after the 10 matches double round robin competition will play off in a one-off match final on May 18th in Amsterdam.
The first four qualify for the second edition of the BeNeCup.

Same goes for numbers one and two of the trophy poule. They will play a final one week earlier on the 11th, also in a neutral venue, the NRC in Amsterdam.
Number last will directly relegate, while number one but last will play off against the runner-up of de Eerste Klasse.

Next three weeks will see the continuation of the competition before a 4 week break for international duties.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:31

DEGIRO Ereklasse - Results and standings:

So the championship match will be played between 't Gooi and DIOK.
Current champions 't Gooi pushing neighbours Hilversum out of the top 2 with a very close win.
DIOK Leiden has had a very strong second half of the season but I find it good to see that the bonuspoints that were awarded for the rankings of the first phase of the competition
end up to be so important for the final standings. Not decisive but very important nonetheless.

In the race for the important fourth place Castricum were surprised by the large victory of the Haagsche RC over neighbours DIOK.
DIOK were already safe for a place in the final and I suspect they rested some players for the upcoming final.
This way HRC managed to stay in fourth. I am sure Castricum, who were marginally better through the course of the season, and who must have
been confident of qualifying for next years BeNeCup, are having mixed feelings about this.

Talking of the BeNeCup.
Last year's first edition served as a warm-up, as a test case. After that it was agreed between the Belgians and the Dutch unions that
it would be held for at least the coming four years. We then noted that, to become more meaningful, it should extend and move in season.
That will be the case. Instead of the 2 preseason games and 1 doubling for the national leagues next season it will again be with 8 teams (Belgian top 4 and the Dutch top 4).
I am not sure if it will be 2 pools of 4 playing a double round robin (6 games) or 1 league of 8 playing a single round robin (7 games).
I suspect the first, with a final for both pool winners like last year.

Because this will take the first 6 or 7 weekends of the season the national competiton will change format.
This season we had 12 teams playing a single round robin (11 games) before splitting up in a champions poule of 6 and a trophy poule of 6, both with a double
round robin format (10 games) a final. So 21 to 22 games.

In the new format the Ereklasse is expanded with four more clubs to 16 clubs. While the top four will be playing in the BeNeCup the other 12 will be split in 3 poules of 4, thus also playing over 6 weekends. The 3 poule winners and the best runner up will then join the BeNeCup contenders in an 8 team championspoule. The other 8 will make up the enlarged trophy poule.
8 Teams per poule makes for 14 games so the seasons total of matches will be 20.

Both the Belgian union and the Dutch have repeatedly stated that they want to graduately keep developing the BeNeCup.
They have mentioned that that would not have to be restricted to Belgian and Dutch clubs.
But first let us await the 2019 edition.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 18 May 2019, 10:42

Final 't Gooi - DIOK streamed live.
National Rugby Centre Amsterdam
Kick-off 15:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFs1L4-2JVM

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 18 May 2019, 16:12

I didn't know until today, because his father tweeted it, that Álvaro Abril was playing for DIOK. He comes from a family really close to VRAC. Congrats!

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Mon, 20 May 2019, 20:06

Last weekend and the weekend before were finals weekends.
After the regular season the number one and the runners up played the final for the national championship.

The champions of the 2018-2019 season:

- Ereklasse Championship
DIOK - 't Gooi 20 - 12
As far as I could judge from the live feed the stands were full which means a crowd of about 4,000.
It's a pity information is so scarse. I would have liked to have some insight in the respective line-ups.
To hear DIOK were fielding Spanish and Portuguese internationals you'd suspect the teams to have a reasonable level of play.

- Ereklasse Plate (teams seven to twelve)
Ascrum - Oemoemenoe 40 - 10

- Qualified for the 2019 BeNeCup
RC 't Gooi
LRC DIOK
RC Hilversum
Haagsche RC

- Promoted to Ereklasse phase one
RC The Hookers
RFC Oisterwijk Oysters
RC Eemland
Utrechtse RC

- Ladies
Amsterdamse AC - Delft 36 - 8

- U18
RC The Dukes - RC Breda 17 - 17 (Dukes win after extra time and shoot outs)
Good effort for Tweede Klasse club Breda (third level competition) whereas all other youth finalists are from clubs with their first senior team playing in the Ereklasse.

- U16
RC 't Gooi - Haagsche RC 27 - 7

- U14
Haagsche RC - Amstelveense RC 26 - 17

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 21 May 2019, 13:20

RC Diok have become a partner club with Leicester Tigers, along with a few others in Europe such as Dendermonde in Belguim and Colorno in Italy. Does anyone out there know what that means for those clubs? I haven't the foggiest in Leicester!

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 21 May 2019, 13:22

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/le ... ub-rc-diok

Apparently the Prime Minister of the Netherlands was there! That's pretty cool!

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 21 May 2019, 13:22

Postby Raven » Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:06

sk 88 wrote:RC Diok have become a partner club with Leicester Tigers, along with a few others in Europe such as Dendermonde in Belguim and Colorno in Italy. Does anyone out there know what that means for those clubs? I haven't the foggiest in Leicester!

The article says they´ve been a part of the Tiger family since 2018... It may not mean much really. Perhaps a few overseas tours with their junior set ups, with the eventual prospect of bringing players to their academy, but I haven´t heard of any Hindi / Malaysian palyers in the Tigers as of yet.

Just for a sake of arguement I wonder what would have happened if Dendermonde would have qualified to the Challenge Cup with the Tigers now being in the same competition... Would there be a clash of interests? :shock: :lol:

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:53

One should not expect too much from this or that it helps DIOK a lot.
It's mainly about promoting the Tigers.
From this article: https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/welkom-to-global-partner-rc-diok:
The Tigers’ Global Partnership Plan aims to help shape global grassroots rugby and build the Tigers brand around the world as well as help support and build commercial links within communities.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 21 May 2019, 15:02

I like this partnerships. I don't expect a big outcome, but these are really important to show the British public and more important the 6N admins, that rugby is indeed played outside of Britain and hopefully that overlooking this for so long was a big mistake for the future of rugby.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 21 May 2019, 17:20

Silver Fox wrote:One should not expect too much from this or that it helps DIOK a lot.
From this article: https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/welkom-to-global-partner-rc-diok:
The Tigers’ Global Partnership Plan aims to help shape global grassroots rugby and build the Tigers brand around the world as well as help support and build commercial links within communities.

Indeed, I was wondering if anyone on the ground had info on what, if anything, is actually being done. I understand the Saracens global partners are practically meaningless for instance.

I know Dendermonde have a former Tigers player as head coach (Joe Cain, was a good player until he wrecked his knee at 20/21, Phil Brown the former Sunderland football manager is his uncle), and youth section did a tour of the Midlands this season where they came to a game but that doesn't seem too much to me. I'm very much up for trying to sell Tigers matches to Dutch & Belgian rugby fans and hopefully develop/poach some players.

I was thinking does this mean these clubs are going to host Tigers branded rugby camps, for instance? We used to host one at the Belgium international school for years and I know we do them in northern Italy and Japan so that was the kind of possibility I was thinking of.

I'll ask Leicester directly and if I get a response let you know.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby wooden shoe » Wed, 22 May 2019, 08:02

sk 88 wrote:https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/league-triumph-for-partner-club-rc-diok

Apparently the Prime Minister of the Netherlands was there! That's pretty cool!

He was in Leiden flyering for the European elections. I doubt if he ever knew about DIOK before. Cool picture anyway.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby wooden shoe » Wed, 22 May 2019, 08:59

DIOK is over the moon.
2 years ago there was a small crisis in the club. DIOK was behind Gooi and Hilversum (teams that rely on expats and players attracted from other clubs) and did not invest in the youth and own players as neighbouring Den Haag has (radically) done (DIOK did not join HRC with the Regional Talent Academy).
DIOK was divided in 2 camps. The eloquent and charming old and now again president Cees Ahsmann won the battle. He injected DIOK with fresh blood. In came coach Andy Egonu (who can now add a victory to his track record) and quite a few players from every corner of the world. The goal of the championship in 2021 has been reached allready.
At the same time DIOK enforced the club at all levels. DIOK went from 300 to 600 members in the last 3 years. A real club feeling and enthusiasm has been created with good social media, DIOK TV with coverage of matches and interviews and first team training the juniors (and so earning some money).
DIOK is vibrant now. Leiden is back on the map as heartland of Dutch rugby and has the potential to get more people (and sponsors) involved as there is not a prominent football or hockey club and everybody wants to be part of succes. The lower teams of DIOK can even play city derbies against the fun and tradition loving Leiden Students.
About the game:
The best players were kiwis, the 13 for DIOK and the 15 for Gooi. Special mention for the energetic DIOK hooker, Englishman, eligible for Oranje. Best for DIOK was the Gooi hooker, who misthrew the first 6 line outs. That might have been decisive.
Interesting is that DIOK has a solid, direct style where most teams in Holland have a more open and running game.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 22 May 2019, 15:31

sk 88 wrote:
Silver Fox wrote:One should not expect too much from this or that it helps DIOK a lot.

Indeed, I was wondering if anyone on the ground had info on what, if anything, is actually being done. I understand the Saracens global partners are practically meaningless for instance.

I know Dendermonde have a former Tigers player as head coach (Joe Cain, was a good player until he wrecked his knee at 20/21, Phil Brown the former Sunderland football manager is his uncle), and youth section did a tour of the Midlands this season where they came to a game but that doesn't seem too much to me. I'm very much up for trying to sell Tigers matches to Dutch & Belgian rugby fans and hopefully develop/poach some players.

I was thinking does this mean these clubs are going to host Tigers branded rugby camps, for instance? We used to host one at the Belgium international school for years and I know we do them in northern Italy and Japan so that was the kind of possibility I was thinking of.

I'll ask Leicester directly and if I get a response let you know.

Pretty much, which, is why the Seattle Saracens did not renew their partnership when the agreement came up.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 23 May 2019, 12:58

Armchair Fan wrote:I didn't know until today, because his father tweeted it, that Álvaro Abril was playing for DIOK. He comes from a family really close to VRAC. Congrats!

The story has caught the eye of Valladolid local press:
http://www.diariodevalladolid.es/notici ... 52799.html

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Thu, 30 May 2019, 04:26

I just saw a local high school first XV game here in NZ on TV (Christ's College vs Christchurch Boys High). The player of the match was a dutch teenager called Fabian Holland, 16, he was absolutely immense for Chch Boys High. He plays at lock unsurprisingly and is 2.04m! He had many runs sometimes with many players hanging off him! He had a brief interview at the end and said hes only been over here for 6 weeks as part of a rugby program. The commentators said he has a huge future where ever he chooses to go. He reminds me of the other Dutch boy who played for our u20's.

Have any of our Dutch members heard of him, @nedrugby @sliverfox? I noticed a quick google search returns a gofundme page for him coming out.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 31 May 2019, 09:12

I haven't heard of him. He's from Castricum which has had strong links with NZ for years, and a number of their players have spent time there I think. Castricum also managed to host the NZ 7s team once for a day or two when they were in Europe for the World Series.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 12:35

Details have come out about the 2109 edition of the BeNeCup.
It is a copy of last years inaugural edition.
Like last year it will be 2 poules of four playing a single round robin. The poule winners will then contest the championship in the final to be played in Brussels.
https://www.rugby.nl/blog/benecup-2019

The main difference is that it moves 1 week 'into the season' and that the domestic matches will not double for the national championship.
The dates will be saturdays 7, 14, 21 and the final on 28 september.
Not the extension I expected or hoped for.
This also means that the number of games for Dutch clubs for the two domestic competitions combined will drop from 24 to 17.
The final of the national championship will already be on April 18th.

It is not yet clear from the first version of next seasons schedule (https://www.rugby.nl/sites/default/files/Seizoensplanning%202019-2020%20versie%201%2020190712.pdf) what the plans are for the months april-may-june.
- Having the BeNeCup from edition 3 on at the end of the season, after the national championship?
- Creating space for extra test matches? (about time if you ask me and it would be great but it's not exactly in existing test windows)

The calendar does however include the matches for the RE Trophy:
Nov 9th: NL - UKR
Nov 23rd: D - NL
Feb 8th: NL - PL
Mar 7th: NL - LT
Mar 14th: CH - NL

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Dcl » Fri, 22 Nov 2019, 10:35

Link to Dutch team line up vs Germany:

[url](https://m.facebook.com/rugby.nl/photos/ ... source=57/) [url]

All key players available tomorrow and lots of players from the u20 teams of previous seasons. Van Kampen and Bloemen, both federale 1, back in the team after being injured for the game against Ukraine 2 weeks ago.

Especially interesting to see how Van Kampen will do at flyhalf. He played very wel there at u20 level, but struggled a bit at 10 last year against Portugal, and plays 15 for his club in France.

Should be a very competitive game tomorrow.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 23 Nov 2019, 23:17

I think the Dutch will be very happy with their 7-37 win. I think the scoreline is a little flattering but they were clearly the better team. It is obvious that this German team is quite different from the one that was competing reasonably well in the REC a couple of years ago. Do I understand correctly that only home-based players were used? I'm not sure what this game says about the standard of Dutch rugby compared with the RET, difficult to draw any conclusions really. There is speculation that REC might increase to 8 teams next season so it is a relevant consideration.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum