Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Austria

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Rugby in Austria

Postby Tintifax » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 21:51

We can talk about Austrian Rugby in this thread, in particular Club Rugby. I´m involved in Austrian Rugby and usually well informed.

In general the level increased in the last years. But not so much on top level, rather in the lower leagues. Against Denmark & Luxembourg players from 8 clubs got their call-up in the National team. This has never happened before.

On the top level the federation/clubs spent a lot of money in new infrastructure: New Venues for Donau Vienna & Celtic Vienna (including an all weather pitch) will influence Austrian Top Level in a good way.

Short facts:

Alpine Rugby Premier League (ARC PL)
Donau Wien (Austrian 22 times in a row Champion)
Celtic Vienna (Oldest Club in Austria)
Stade Ruby Vienna
RC Innsbruck
Olimpija Ljubljana (SLO)
The last season ARC PL winner RK Ljubljana retired from the league in August 2015.

Alpine Rugby Championship (ARC CS)
Div. South
RC Graz (3 times 7s Champion in a row)
RC Tigers Klagenfurt (my Club)
ARC Leoben
RK Zagreb Blues (2nd team of RK, CRO)
RK Lokomotiva Zagreb (CRO)

Div. North
Wombats Wr. Neustadt
RC Linz
RU Donau Korsaren (2nd Donau-Squad)
RK Maribor (SLO)
RK Breclav (CZ)

Developement League
RC Krems
RC Donau Matrosen (3rd Donau Team)
Stade Rugby II
Celtic Wanderes (Celtic II)

Team without participation in Austrian Leagues
Voralrberg RUFC (played only friendlys till now)

Only 7s
RC Traunsee

Without match/league operations
RC Melk
RC Südburgenland
Tigers Rugby, Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria: Website, Facebook, Ladies' Facebook, Twitter

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Rugby in Austria

Postby JamesWales » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 22:52

How many people attend the games? 10-20, or perhaps a few hundred?

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 23:28

JamesWales wrote:How many people attend the games? 10-20, or perhaps a few hundred?

It depends on many different factors:

- The Club & their motivation for PR/advertisement
- Is the game on the usual pitch or not?
- weather conditions (nearly no venue has a roofing)

There are rarely 100 or more. But it happens. The crowd in the province (everywhere except Vienna) is often greater than in Vienna. But on the other hand the Austrian Championship-Final can reach 1000 spectators (so happened in 2013). This final is always played in Vienna.

I think an average of 50-60 is an reliable number.
Tigers Rugby, Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria: Website, Facebook, Ladies' Facebook, Twitter

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 23:30

Do they pay to be there or is attendance free? How big is your union's annual budget?

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 23:40

iul wrote:Do they pay to be there or is attendance free? How big is your union's annual budget?

The audience doesn´t pay for Club-games. The sole exception is the annual final in Vienna between the best 2 Austrian Clubs in Premiership. The entrance fee is 10 Euro.

I´m not allowed to talk about the sum of annual budget in my Union. I know only about & that´s not enough for a proper development in Austria.
But I can tell you my own club annual budget: About 12.000 Euros and we are not the "poorest" club in Austria.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 09:25

Thank you. Isn't the budget size of the federation publicly available information though? I mean, in Romania you can go to the Ministry of Finance's website, put in any fiscal code from any Romanian company or organization and they will instantly and freely give you some statistics about their finances including turnover by year, total expenditures, etc...

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 10:02

iul wrote:Thank you. Isn't the budget size of the federation publicly available information though? I mean, in Romania you can go to the Ministry of Finance's website, put in any fiscal code from any Romanian company or organization and they will instantly and freely give you some statistics about their finances including turnover by year, total expenditures, etc...

Yes public fund is public. 120 K/a (2014) public Money for the ÖRV.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 12:49

What months are the season?

Presumably Innsbruck can't play between November and March/April?

Are there any link to SudTyrol clubs (if there are any clubs there!)?

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 13:15

sk 88 wrote:What months are the season?

Presumably Innsbruck can't play between November and March/April?

Are there any link to SudTyrol clubs (if there are any clubs there!)?

Autumn: From End of September to first week in Dezember.
Spring: End of March to 1st week in June. Austrian Final will take place on 2nd Saturday in June.

@Innsbruck & alpine Austria
In nov/Dez the problem isn´t so much the climate but the availableness of venues. Innsbruck, Klagenfurt, Linz & other Clubs plays on Soccer-pitches. The soccer season in the lower leagues ends in the 2nd week of November. After that many venues are closed till mid-march. In Winter those Clubs must practise indoor, on synthetical grass (very expensive!) or on snow.
The Snow is often a problem in March. The pitch is very soft this time of year & often locked for any rugby-boot.

The future in Austria is Rugby-proofed synthetical turf. But this surface is very expensive, not affordable for a single club. Thinkable is to share such venues with other sports excluded soccer.

@South Tyrol
Brixen played for one and a half season in the 2nd league but they were fired for too many absences.
Innsbruck has an annual competition against Bozen Cavaliers, the so called "Tiroler Cup".

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby JTV84 » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 14:13

@Tintifax: Any news about the stadium/pitch that will take over after HW Stadion?

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 16:36

JTV84 wrote:@Tintifax: Any news about the stadium/pitch that will take over after HW Stadion?

That´s a good point & stuff for chit-chat in the Austrian community. I´m honest: I can also only speculate about the next Venue in 2016. If I have reliable news I will let you know.

Postby Raven » Mon, 21 Mar 2016, 10:01

Hi Tintifax, finally a thread on Austrian Rugby! Just wanted to ask a few questions that maybe you can answer!

Tintifax wrote:Donau Wien (Austrian 22 times in a row Champion)

I never found a place that clarified my doubt, but can all these teams share the same division? If Donau is the Austrian Champion for 22 years in a row, I´m thinking they have enough deepness in their squad to field at least 2 competitive sides in the Austrian 1st Div.

Tintifax wrote:Without match/league operations
RC Melk
RC Südburgenland

So they don´t play any games whatsoever? what makes them an active team then? do they at least train?

National Flag:
SloveniaSlovenia

Postby alexjug » Thu, 05 May 2016, 13:59

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Fri, 06 May 2016, 13:48

Hi, I believe there is also RC Innsbrück 2nds who play in the lowest German division, Verbandsliga Bayern Süd.

Voralberg play in the cross border Try nations tournament with 4 german teams (Ulm, Ravensberg, Konstanz and Tübingen). I beleive they also used to play with the lichtenstein clubs in this tournament.

Postby Raven » Fri, 06 May 2016, 16:25

DragonMike wrote:Hi, I believe there is also RC Innsbrück 2nds who play in the lowest German division, Verbandsliga Bayern Süd.

Voralberg play in the cross border Try nations tournament with 4 german teams (Ulm, Ravensberg, Konstanz and Tübingen). I beleive they also used to play with the lichtenstein clubs in this tournament.

You are right on both cases. I don´t know the whole story on their participation of Innsbruck in the VL, they always seem to be quite strong compared to their group rivals, but when they are in the verge of achieving promotion they forfeit their last game or 2 not to go up. I think if they decided to play their cards a bit better they could even be aiming for a 2nd Bundesliga place but I suppose they do not think they would be capable of fielding a team a whole season in the Bayern Regionalliga as well as the Austrian 1.Bundesliga. Whilst doing what they are doing now enables them to play their best side in Austria and the team subs + new players in the VL (although they do not have a proper established 2nd team per se)

Vorarlberg does indeed play the TRY Nations with Vfb Ulm (that also participates in the Bayern VL), TSB Ravens Rugby from Ravensburg, RC Konstanz (after pulling out from the 3rd National League in Switzerland), and RC Tübingen.

Lynx RC (from Liechtenstein) played in the first two editions and pulled out of the 3rd one.

Its a pretty cool tournament in which they all play a Round Robin XVs round, and then meet up for a 10s tournament afterwards.

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:21

There have been many changes in Austrian Rugby in the last six months. Sorry for my long absence.

1) Austrian Federation

In late February, the Austrian Federation elected a new board. Only the former president (Andreas Schwab as general secretary) remained on the board. New president is Thomas Österreicher (Linz), Vice Presidents are Pascal Gilles (Stade) & Bernhard Zainzinger (Wr. Neustadt).

The new board announced almost all positions & tasks from new.

2) Austrian National XV
Lofty Stevenson is no longer headcoach of Austrian XV. His successor is Peter Smutna. The team lost against Serbia (H) & Slovenija (A)- I believe the team will be rebuilt for the next cycle 2016-18. The new team will have old troubles: The availability of the best players outside Vienna.

3) Austrian XV-Leagues / Alpine Rugby Championship
@Alexjug has already mentioned the new Rugby-calendar. We have switched to a calender year season. The season runs from April to mid-June, followed by 7s tournaments in June & September.
This restructuring was discussed very controversial, although 9 of 10 Clubs voted in favor. So far, the season is running without match-cancellations, however, an increase of yellow & red cards will be noted.

In the Premier, Donau Vienna is superior Leader (4 games 20 points & a score of +254) No further discussion necessary. The strongest Donau ever. Behind Donau the league is balanced. Anyone can beat anyone.

In the Championship RK Zagreb Blues is at the top. However, they still have their hardest gamet (Linz & Donau II) coming up. The 2nd Donau-Team can win the league but not promote to the Premier. It is quite possible that the second team also remains undefeated. Behind the top 3 are Wombats, Leoben & my team on the same level.

4) Development / Youths
In March Rugby Austria started a official U18-League with Donau, Stade & the Vienna International school. There are plans for a province-U18 but I think that´s not realistic this year. The U18-team will be rebuilt.

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:57

Raven wrote:Hi Tintifax, finally a thread on Austrian Rugby! Just wanted to ask a few questions that maybe you can answer!

Tintifax wrote:Donau Wien (Austrian 22 times in a row Champion)

I never found a place that clarified my doubt, but can all these teams share the same division? If Donau is the Austrian Champion for 22 years in a row, I´m thinking they have enough deepness in their squad to field at least 2 competitive sides in the Austrian 1st Div.

Tintifax wrote:Without match/league operations
RC Melk
RC Südburgenland

So they don´t play any games whatsoever? what makes them an active team then? do they at least train?

a)
The bench of Donau I is allowed to play the next Donau II game. This is often the case. Donau III are more Beginners, old boys & the rules in the development league are not very strict.

Donau Piraten = Donau I: Team for international games (RRC for example) & the Premiership
Donau Korsaren = Bench of Donau I (not always) & the best Under 21 guys. Playing in the Championship
Donau Freibeuter (changed their Name) = not so talented Under 21 guys, Beginners, old boys. Playing in development league.

They never play against in the ARC.

b)
Melk is currently rebuilding their female team and some guys are playing for other teams. Südburgenland is liquidated.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 26 May 2016, 03:04

Do Austrian clubs have regular matches against Italian clubs? Well, Veneto is the traditional hotbed of Italian rugby and it is very close to Austria.

And what about matches against German, Swiss or Czech clubs?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Thu, 26 May 2016, 08:07

victorsra wrote:Do Austrian clubs have regular matches against Italian clubs? Well, Veneto is the traditional hotbed of Italian rugby and it is very close to Austria.

And what about matches against German, Swiss or Czech clubs?

Once, twice a year my Club (on the southern border of Austria) plays a match against a Friuli-Team (mostly Gemona or Fogliano). Other teams only plays against Italian teams, when they make a tour, except Innsbruck against Clubs in South tyrol.

It´s not so easy to play against italian teams, not because they are all too strong (Serie C Clubs aren´t), but it´s always difficult to find out an appointment, have a referee & in season most italian clubs prefer friendlys without contested scrum, sometimes without contested ruck.

Also a topic: The most italian teams can only play on Sundays. Austrian teams want to play on Saturdays....

Germany: Celtic Vienna played against Munich in March, Innsbruck "II" takes part in the "bayrische Verbandsliga". Some other friendlys against German clubs occurs.

Czech: Linz & Donau plays often against czech teams.

Switzerland: I know no games against swiss teams in the last years. Vaduz (Liechtenstein) played in 2 Austrian 7s-tournaments.

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Sat, 11 Jun 2016, 07:44

Austrian Final takes place this evening. Donau (22x champ in a row) vs Celtic Vienna RFC.

Donau is massive Favourite.

Preview (in German): http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/news ... ne-chance/

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Sun, 12 Jun 2016, 12:34

Donau won 24:12. The game was closer than expected.

Here a summary of the game (orf)

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/Sport-Bild ... C/12948654

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 12 Jun 2016, 13:40

Unfortunately the video isn't available outside of Austria. Any youtube links?

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Sun, 12 Jun 2016, 23:31

Hola helps. https://hola.org/

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Thu, 16 Jun 2016, 22:38

First time in Austria: Livestream of a league-game!
Maybe not the best skills will be showed, it´s 2nd League. But a Derby, with a lot of Adrenaline in the game. I´m looking forward for it.
Link for the stream (Sat 17.00 cet): http://www.sportonlive.tv/event/185/rc-anexia-tigers-klagenfurt/arc-leoben
Maybe I´m Moderator from 1st to 60th min. & must put away the micro because I joine the game...

Austrian Rugby in lower Leagues. But the level is increasing.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby tellchar » Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 19:42

What can you say about participations of austrian clubs in Regional Rugby Championships?

Next

Return to Rugby Forum