Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Austria

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Austria

Postby Aus_in_Germany » Fri, 29 Jul 2016, 10:01

SC1880 will play against Austrian Champs Donau in a trial match on the 27th August in Austria.

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Sun, 28 Aug 2016, 19:44

tellchar wrote:What can you say about participations of austrian clubs in Regional Rugby Championships?

Only Donau Vienna has the manpower & enough Money to join this competition. I will ask them for their plans.

Edit: Donau will not play this season at least.
Last edited by Tintifax on Sun, 28 Aug 2016, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Tigers Rugby, Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria: Website, Facebook, Ladies' Facebook, Twitter

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Sun, 28 Aug 2016, 19:49

Aus_in_Germany wrote:SC1880 will play against Austrian Champs Donau in a trial match on the 27th August in Austria.

13:39 ft. Nearly the half squad wasn´t Donau-Players, more Vienna Barbarian´s under the leadership of Donau.

You can find out a lot of pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 005&type=3
Tigers Rugby, Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria: Website, Facebook, Ladies' Facebook, Twitter

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Aus_in_Germany » Mon, 29 Aug 2016, 06:58

Tintifax wrote:
Aus_in_Germany wrote:SC1880 will play against Austrian Champs Donau in a trial match on the 27th August in Austria.

13:39 ft. Nearly the half squad wasn´t Donau-Players, more Vienna Barbarian´s under the leadership of Donau.

You can find out a lot of pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 005&type=3

Ye I knew that was a mix and match of players . Was a great hit out for us though. Provided stiff opposition. We had around 7 new faces in the line up too . Lots of errors from both teams but thats to be expected in a first up trial.

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Tue, 20 Sep 2016, 20:46

@Austrian News

a) 7s-championships
Austrian 7s-Championship were played at the weekend. Graz was Champion 2013-2015, this season they lost some key-players and the reign ended. Donau won every game in regularseason and at the Final-tournament (33:7 against Graz). There is a huge gap between Donau, Graz & the rest of the field. Stade Vienna finished the tournament in 3rd place.

Finals standings:
1. Donau Wien
2. RC Graz
3. Stade Rugby
4. RC Innsbruck
5. RC Krems
6. RC Linz
7. RC Tigers Klagenfurt
8. CA Traunsee

b) Preparation Austrian XV (Austria vs Bosnia, Oct. 8th)

The new Headcoach Steve Doyle started with preparation 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday they won a friendly game against Mladost (CRO). Both teams played with 30+ players (5x 25 Minutes).There have not scored many points for 125 Minutes: 15:5 for Austrian side.

This Saturday is held the 2nd and final friendly. Opponent is RC Tatra Smichov (CZ) in Prague.

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Sat, 24 Sep 2016, 20:03

Tatra Smichov vs Austria 15:22

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 12 Oct 2016, 16:57

Tintifax wrote:Austrian Final takes place this evening. Donau (22x champ in a row) vs Celtic Vienna RFC.

Donau is massive Favourite.

Preview (in German): http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/news ... ne-chance/

I'm a bit confused about the season in Austria.

The website says the season is only 6 games long?

http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/tabellen-archiv/saison-2016/

And then the top 5 play off?

http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/arc-premiership/

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Wed, 19 Oct 2016, 14:17

sk 88 wrote:
Tintifax wrote:Austrian Final takes place this evening. Donau (22x champ in a row) vs Celtic Vienna RFC.

Donau is massive Favourite.

Preview (in German): http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/news ... ne-chance/

I'm a bit confused about the season in Austria.

The website says the season is only 6 games long?

http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/tabellen-archiv/saison-2016/

And then the top 5 play off?

http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/arc-premiership/

Exactly

National Flag:
SloveniaSlovenia

Postby alexjug » Wed, 19 Oct 2016, 14:37

Here is the explanation of the new league system
http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/news ... gby-ligen/

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 19 Oct 2016, 17:18

Thanks, so the final referenced above was last year's and they have gone straight into this years championship?

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Wed, 19 Oct 2016, 23:25

I Traunsee quite often, where do they play/train out of?

Tintifax wrote:@Austrian News

a) 7s-championships
Austrian 7s-Championship were played at the weekend. Graz was Champion 2013-2015, this season they lost some key-players and the reign ended. Donau won every game in regularseason and at the Final-tournament (33:7 against Graz). There is a huge gap between Donau, Graz & the rest of the field. Stade Vienna finished the tournament in 3rd place.

Finals standings:
1. Donau Wien
2. RC Graz
3. Stade Rugby
4. RC Innsbruck
5. RC Krems
6. RC Linz
7. RC Tigers Klagenfurt
8. CA Traunsee

b) Preparation Austrian XV (Austria vs Bosnia, Oct. 8th)

The new Headcoach Steve Doyle started with preparation 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday they won a friendly game against Mladost (CRO). Both teams played with 30+ players (5x 25 Minutes).There have not scored many points for 125 Minutes: 15:5 for Austrian side.

This Saturday is held the 2nd and final friendly. Opponent is RC Tatra Smichov (CZ) in Prague.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 07:09

@Zhenya

According to their facebook page on a pitch in Ebensee (some 80km east of Salzburg).

@Austrians: how did the league reform to the full calendar year go? I was surprised to see the final round being started only in october. What are your thoughts on it?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SloveniaSlovenia

Postby alexjug » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 07:38

sk 88 wrote:Thanks, so the final referenced above was last year's and they have gone straight into this years championship?

Yes. It was the final for 2015/16 season which ended prematurely in November 2015 instead on May/June 2016.
Google translated from the link:

"On several occasions the question has arisen why with Vienna Celtic the currently only table. 5 ARC Premiership playing in the final.

The State Cup final is according to valid regulations, a game between the two best-placed after the first round of the League Austrian team. Heuer occurred in the Alpine Rugby Competition but a big change - the league switched from an autumn-early year cycle (as in football) on a year cycle (as in the Austrian Football.).

Thus, the situation revealed that the season 2015/16 has already been completed in late November - RU Donau Vienna and Vienna Celtic RFC are the best placed Austrian team this season and thus contribute in accordance with the regulations, the State Cup final 2016. But even in ancient seasonal rhythm the same final pairing would have changed the set-off of the fall and spring result - Celtic has therefore worked honestly with a strong fall season the place in the final."

And these were the standings at the end of the season http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/tabe ... ison-2015/.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 07:46

alexjug wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Thanks, so the final referenced above was last year's and they have gone straight into this years championship?

Yes. It was the final for 2015/16 season which ended prematurely in November 2015 instead on May/June 2016.
Google translated from the link:

"On several occasions the question has arisen why with Vienna Celtic the currently only table. 5 ARC Premiership playing in the final.

The State Cup final is according to valid regulations, a game between the two best-placed after the first round of the League Austrian team. Heuer occurred in the Alpine Rugby Competition but a big change - the league switched from an autumn-early year cycle (as in football) on a year cycle (as in the Austrian Football.).

Thus, the situation revealed that the season 2015/16 has already been completed in late November - RU Donau Vienna and Vienna Celtic RFC are the best placed Austrian team this season and thus contribute in accordance with the regulations, the State Cup final 2016. But even in ancient seasonal rhythm the same final pairing would have changed the set-off of the fall and spring result - Celtic has therefore worked honestly with a strong fall season the place in the final."

And these were the standings at the end of the season http://www.rugby-austria.at/herren/tabe ... ison-2015/.

Thanks for the translation for all english speakers. This was clear and easy to understand before. I was just wondering, why the second part of the first year-round-season was only started in october? How many games do the teams play? Also what is the reason behind the move. Austrian played national team games in october, so again a break for the season.
As we are discussing this in Germany as well, I was wondering what the benefits really are ;-)
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SloveniaSlovenia

Postby alexjug » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 08:25

RugbyLiebe wrote:I was just wondering, why the second part of the first year-round-season was only started in october?

Oh that;). As far as I know, because their former National coach didn't let players play matches 1 month before ENC games. Go figure?!
ENC was played in two consecutive weekends. Once we had 6 weeks "pause" because of that no-play directive and overlapping ENC matches (AUT and SLO were/are in same group).
It wasn't "nice" for the rest of us playing in their league as we were forced into a "pause" also or to look for friendly games.

RugbyLiebe wrote:How many games do the teams play? Also what is the reason behind the move. Austrian played national team games in october, so again a break for the season.
As we are discussing this in Germany as well, I was wondering what the benefits really are ;-)

Premiership should be 10 games per season/year. The reason eludes me. The only benefit I see is that you can start and finish a league in same calendar year but that is about it. I really don't know the reasons why Austrians have decided for season change.
Perhaps someone else can explain.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Aus_in_Germany » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 13:03

I think the same reason that Germany is looking at the change too - because a 4 -5 month break mid season just makes no sense . Cant have a proper pre season with a Sept start, and the gap between season end and re-starting is so small.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 14:41

How does German football just carry on all winter? At the top level I'd imagine they have under-soil heating but the older grounds and lower levels won't have

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby bonzosarmy » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 14:47

Aus_in_Germany wrote:I think the same reason that Germany is looking at the change too - because a 4 -5 month break mid season just makes no sense . Cant have a proper pre season with a Sept start, and the gap between season end and re-starting is so small.

one of the main reasons for the change to a 'calendar season' is the fact that two thirds of the austrian rugby clubs do not have their own field, they play on football grounds. so in the late autumn season and early spring season if the weather conditions are bad (snow) such teams are not allowed to train or playing games at this grounds.

second is that we think it is better to have a season that is divided into several 'blocks', to make it easier for clubs to concentrate.

we start with the 15's 'preliminary' round in april and it goes to early june with the austrian final. then we play a 7's series for preparation for the 7's EC. a short break in ausgust and in mid/late september the 15's season finds it continuation with the final gamesfor the ARC.

this year we had the problem that we tried to play 7's in september which doesn't worked as we thought. try and error...

2017 we will play the 7's series from mid june to mid late july, august is season break and the 15's league should start again in september.

the big break is in winter from end november to mid march....

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby bonzosarmy » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 15:32

RugbyLiebe wrote:@Austrians: how did the league reform to the full calendar year go? I was surprised to see the final round being started only in october. What are your thoughts on it?

as one of the initiators i have to admit that it does not work as smooth as we thought, we did make this big mistake with the 7's block. we thought it would be a good preparation for the clubs to play three 7's tournaments in september, as a lot of players are still not available. but we did see that it is better to finish sevens in july and give the clubs the autumn for 15's rugby.

a second big handicap were the dates of the austrian and slovenian nationalteam, both want time for preparation for their games so the league has to stop too often, this has to change. as austria and slovenia is in the same ENC group, they should work closer when it comes to the arranging of dates for the games.

otherwise i think it will be a big invention in the future when things start to work properly. it is way much better to prepare for the season with late februar and march and all players are available. not like in august/september when the students are away, which are around 80% of the players.

we have to turn a few screws a little every year till it will be nearly perfect, but it will make no sense to think you can play rugby 12 moths a year. even if the geographic location will let you do so, your players will have some other plans too...

National Flag:
SloveniaSlovenia

Postby alexjug » Fri, 21 Oct 2016, 04:59

Thank you for clarifying @bonzosarmy. :thumbup:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 21 Oct 2016, 08:27

sk 88 wrote:How does German football just carry on all winter? At the top level I'd imagine they have under-soil heating but the older grounds and lower levels won't have

They simply have a winter break - even in the Bundesliga (this year December 20th until January 20th), but it used to be longer before all those fancy mandatory under-soil heating for all clubs between 1st and 3rd division.

For Amateur clubs:
5th division soccer in Bavaria doesn't play from November 26th until March 4th i.e.
Should be the same for all leagues down from there. Checked with a 9th division and it was around the same (one week earlier the last game in 2016, one week later the next).

So absolutely everybody in Germany is used to have winter breaks. The only difference is: the soccer clubs use it for indoor-tournaments. Which is a little bit more difficult for rugby. In Munich we have an indoor-beachrugby-tournament once per year.

bonzosarmy wrote:we start with the 15's 'preliminary' round in april and it goes to early june with the austrian final. then we play a 7's series for preparation for the 7's EC. a short break in ausgust and in mid/late september the 15's season finds it continuation with the final gamesfor the ARC.

this year we had the problem that we tried to play 7's in september which doesn't worked as we thought. try and error...

2017 we will play the 7's series from mid june to mid late july, august is season break and the 15's league should start again in september.

the big break is in winter from end november to mid march....

What I don't really get: we are talking about just ten 15s games here. Why not jug it into one block from september until november or mid march to june?

Also isn't the biggest time were students start or finish university in summer? So you basically have the finals with probably more new guys and preliminatory round with probably more experienced guys.

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby bonzosarmy » Mon, 24 Oct 2016, 21:53

RugbyLiebe wrote:
What I don't really get: we are talking about just ten 15s games here. Why not jug it into one block from september until november or mid march to june?

Also isn't the biggest time were students start or finish university in summer? So you basically have the finals with probably more new guys and preliminatory round with probably more experienced guys.

almost none of the teams in austria can field his usual team before the end of september/early october, so more less there are 10 weekends till the end of november which can be used. but 4 of this weekends are not usable because of the 2 ENC games of austria and the 2 ENC games of slovenia. this means only 6 weekends for league games if we are happy and winter did not come by the mid of november.

as said, if the league starts mid of march, most likely 2 third of the teams are allowed to start training on the field at this time. thats why we start with the 1st weekend in april.
then you have 13 weekends till the end of june for rugby. but again, 4 weekends are gone for the ENC games and easter holidays (08/04, 15/04-easter, 22/04 and 29/04) not to mention another weekend for the nationalteams preparation.

when we talk about students i do not mean this guys are newbies, most of them are experienced players, but they mostly work till the university starts in october.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 25 Oct 2016, 06:56

bonzosarmy wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

almost none of the teams in austria can field his usual team before the end of september/early october, so more less there are 10 weekends till the end of november which can be used. but 4 of this weekends are not usable because of the 2 ENC games of austria and the 2 ENC games of slovenia. this means only 6 weekends for league games if we are happy and winter did not come by the mid of november.

as said, if the league starts mid of march, most likely 2 third of the teams are allowed to start training on the field at this time. thats why we start with the 1st weekend in april.
then you have 13 weekends till the end of june for rugby. but again, 4 weekends are gone for the ENC games and easter holidays (08/04, 15/04-easter, 22/04 and 29/04) not to mention another weekend for the nationalteams preparation.

when we talk about students i do not mean this guys are newbies, most of them are experienced players, but they mostly work till the university starts in october.

Winter and all holidays are nearly the same in Bavaria and in Austria. Same goes for university starting times. Still we fit in a 16 game season for the Regionalliga (+ maybe playoff games) plus three 7s tournaments. So from what I understand, the biggest problem for the normal league is actually the national team dates (which is absolutely irrelevant for Bavaria)?
Also even if there should be some experienced players with the new students, my experience is, that most new players start with the new university year, which is in october. Are new students allowed to play in the final phase if they had no games in the first phase? This is a huge problem in the german league system, that if you change uni mid-year you are basically not allowed to play in any higher leagues any more (reason for the introduction of this rule was that Heidelberg and Hannover clubs imported players to play in the final phases).

National Flag:
AustriaAustria

Postby Tintifax » Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 16:12

A not registered player can play at any time. Expect for the Austrian final.

National Flag:
SwitzerlandSwitzerland

Postby chestnut » Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 08:15

btw: what has happend to that national coach from new zealand (stevens?) and his assistant (smutana? was he czech?) ?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum