Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby m.map » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:51

victorsra wrote:Well, they are renewing Flaminio...

work started last october
today there are no news about it :?
what will happen tomorrow? who knows?
I'm skeptic, very much :? :? :?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 09:41

Italy v Ireland U20 live on youtube tomorrow evening at 19 CET
Geoblocked? I don't know

Postby armchair_expert » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 11:02

Canalina wrote:Geoblocked? I don't know

hi plz check this url https://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.cgi

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 12:20

"Unrestricted"

There will be also an irish live of the match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYa4otiHxj8

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 16:40

m.map wrote:

I think this might be another one of those areas where commercial zeal overpowers any means of actually growing the game.

In this case, the 6N grandees love Rome, they want to keep Rome as one of the stellar locations - the old "London - Paris - Rome" line that every brand desires to have.

But, consider that there are/were continuing rumours about the Milan clubs wanting to build their own grounds, and vacate San Siro. From what I understand the heartlands of Rugby in Italy are in the surrounding areas of Milan. It would make sense to me for the Italian Rugby people to switch to and make the San Siro their exclusive home. Now, this is said to be happening in Rome too, where the 2 big clubs want their own grounds, so that could open up the prospect of exclusivity at the Olympic stadium. But, it's too big and too far from the groundswell support of the game.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 18:07

bacteria closing Verona's (Top12 club) stadium: http://247.libero.it/rfocus/37826311/1/ ... nterdetta/
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Fri, 22 Feb 2019, 11:04

Is COS under much pressure in Italy? His record is looking really bad now.

Canalina wrote:"Unrestricted"

I'm grateful for that because unbelievably the Scots couldn't provide a stream of the match.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Fri, 22 Feb 2019, 13:02

It seems to me that Italy U20 last two years was stronger than this one. Am I right?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 07:58

dropkick wrote:
"Unrestricted"

I'm grateful for that because unbelievably the Scots couldn't provide a stream of the match.

Yes, the home matches of Scotland U20 seem to be the only games not broadcasted in the whole Six Nations 2019.

In Italy the men's games are shown by general channel DMAX (quite a minor one, to say the truth: its standard button on the remote is 52, just to say), the women's games by the pay-tv Eurosport (the two matches not involving Italy by web app Eurosport Player) and the U20 Italy's games by Italian Federation website & socials

BigG wrote:It seems to me that Italy U20 last two years was stronger than this one. Am I right?

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the games they played so far. According to the results and the comments on the net, yes, they are a bit less performing than the last "brood". This notwithstanding, they have neatly defeated Scotland, so they must be not bad

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 08:10

jservuk wrote:
m.map wrote:

I think this might be another one of those areas where commercial zeal overpowers any means of actually growing the game.

In this case, the 6N grandees love Rome, they want to keep Rome as one of the stellar locations - the old "London - Paris - Rome" line that every brand desires to have.

But, consider that there are/were continuing rumours about the Milan clubs wanting to build their own grounds, and vacate San Siro. From what I understand the heartlands of Rugby in Italy are in the surrounding areas of Milan. It would make sense to me for the Italian Rugby people to switch to and make the San Siro their exclusive home. Now, this is said to be happening in Rome too, where the 2 big clubs want their own grounds, so that could open up the prospect of exclusivity at the Olympic stadium. But, it's too big and too far from the groundswell support of the game.

The italian rugby heartland is 200 km east of Milan, in Veneto region near Venice (Treviso, Padova and Rovigo are the main rugby towns). Unfortunately Milan never provided in the last decades an highly performing club; sometime the town has two clubs in the second category (like in this season) but they never show the potential to aspire to Top12.
I doubt the Six Nations will be moved to North and anyway I think it would be a wrong decision. Italian rugby is already too north-oriented and depriving the middle/south of the Six Nations games would mean to raise a white flag like saying "ok, we quit with the south". The North has already Benetton and Zebre, nine of the Top12 clubs (the other three are in middle-northern Florence and in middle-of-the-nation Rome) and it may have the winter test matches. No need to move the Six Nations venue, at least at the moment, in my opinion

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 19:53

Reading the Italy's starting XV of the 1959 match against Bulgaria (see OLD STUFF thread) you may see that there were twelve players coming from clubs of the centre or of the south of the country, while just three came from northern clubs.
Four were from Rome, four from L'Aquila, three from Napoli, one each from Torino, Brescia, Treviso and Catania.
So there was at least a time when the middle-south was somehow the pulling head of our rugby. I didn't know... :geek:

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum