Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby m.map » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:51

victorsra wrote:Well, they are renewing Flaminio...

work started last october
today there are no news about it :?
what will happen tomorrow? who knows?
I'm skeptic, very much :? :? :?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 09:41

Italy v Ireland U20 live on youtube tomorrow evening at 19 CET
Geoblocked? I don't know

Postby armchair_expert » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 11:02

Canalina wrote:Geoblocked? I don't know

hi plz check this url https://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.cgi

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 12:20

"Unrestricted"

There will be also an irish live of the match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYa4otiHxj8

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 16:40

m.map wrote:

I think this might be another one of those areas where commercial zeal overpowers any means of actually growing the game.

In this case, the 6N grandees love Rome, they want to keep Rome as one of the stellar locations - the old "London - Paris - Rome" line that every brand desires to have.

But, consider that there are/were continuing rumours about the Milan clubs wanting to build their own grounds, and vacate San Siro. From what I understand the heartlands of Rugby in Italy are in the surrounding areas of Milan. It would make sense to me for the Italian Rugby people to switch to and make the San Siro their exclusive home. Now, this is said to be happening in Rome too, where the 2 big clubs want their own grounds, so that could open up the prospect of exclusivity at the Olympic stadium. But, it's too big and too far from the groundswell support of the game.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 18:07

bacteria closing Verona's (Top12 club) stadium: http://247.libero.it/rfocus/37826311/1/ ... nterdetta/
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Fri, 22 Feb 2019, 11:04

Is COS under much pressure in Italy? His record is looking really bad now.

Canalina wrote:"Unrestricted"

I'm grateful for that because unbelievably the Scots couldn't provide a stream of the match.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Fri, 22 Feb 2019, 13:02

It seems to me that Italy U20 last two years was stronger than this one. Am I right?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 07:58

dropkick wrote:
"Unrestricted"

I'm grateful for that because unbelievably the Scots couldn't provide a stream of the match.

Yes, the home matches of Scotland U20 seem to be the only games not broadcasted in the whole Six Nations 2019.

In Italy the men's games are shown by general channel DMAX (quite a minor one, to say the truth: its standard button on the remote is 52, just to say), the women's games by the pay-tv Eurosport (the two matches not involving Italy by web app Eurosport Player) and the U20 Italy's games by Italian Federation website & socials

BigG wrote:It seems to me that Italy U20 last two years was stronger than this one. Am I right?

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the games they played so far. According to the results and the comments on the net, yes, they are a bit less performing than the last "brood". This notwithstanding, they have neatly defeated Scotland, so they must be not bad

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 08:10

jservuk wrote:
m.map wrote:

I think this might be another one of those areas where commercial zeal overpowers any means of actually growing the game.

In this case, the 6N grandees love Rome, they want to keep Rome as one of the stellar locations - the old "London - Paris - Rome" line that every brand desires to have.

But, consider that there are/were continuing rumours about the Milan clubs wanting to build their own grounds, and vacate San Siro. From what I understand the heartlands of Rugby in Italy are in the surrounding areas of Milan. It would make sense to me for the Italian Rugby people to switch to and make the San Siro their exclusive home. Now, this is said to be happening in Rome too, where the 2 big clubs want their own grounds, so that could open up the prospect of exclusivity at the Olympic stadium. But, it's too big and too far from the groundswell support of the game.

The italian rugby heartland is 200 km east of Milan, in Veneto region near Venice (Treviso, Padova and Rovigo are the main rugby towns). Unfortunately Milan never provided in the last decades an highly performing club; sometime the town has two clubs in the second category (like in this season) but they never show the potential to aspire to Top12.
I doubt the Six Nations will be moved to North and anyway I think it would be a wrong decision. Italian rugby is already too north-oriented and depriving the middle/south of the Six Nations games would mean to raise a white flag like saying "ok, we quit with the south". The North has already Benetton and Zebre, nine of the Top12 clubs (the other three are in middle-northern Florence and in middle-of-the-nation Rome) and it may have the winter test matches. No need to move the Six Nations venue, at least at the moment, in my opinion

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 19:53

Reading the Italy's starting XV of the 1959 match against Bulgaria (see OLD STUFF thread) you may see that there were twelve players coming from clubs of the centre or of the south of the country, while just three came from northern clubs.
Four were from Rome, four from L'Aquila, three from Napoli, one each from Torino, Brescia, Treviso and Catania.
So there was at least a time when the middle-south was somehow the pulling head of our rugby. I didn't know... :geek:

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 26 Mar 2019, 22:58

This saturday Parma hosts the final of Coppa Italia, second italian trophy by relevance after the national championship.
The tournament is reserved to the clubs not competing in Continental Shield and the final will Valorugby Emilia v Valsugana Padova.

Valorugby is the squad of my town. They have several strangers: southafricans Nico Du Plessis (prop) and Armand Du Preez (lock), newzealanders Cardiff Vaega (centre, very powerful even if someway incline to knock-on the ball) and Junior Ngualafe; argentinian Marcos Gatica Schiappapietra (prop), italo/argentinian Luciano Rodriguez (flyhalf), lebanese Karim Jammal (flyhalf, he plays almost never but in the rare chances he had he showed good skills) and italo-brazilian Matteo Dell'Acqua.
Valsugana is the second club of Padova (after Petrarca), it's newly promoted in Top12 and it's formed by local amateur players; a very appreciable club with one of the best junior sector in Italy and a women team battling for the national title.
Valorugby is firmly favorite for the victory of the Cup.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 20:14

The link to see tomorrow the deferred transmission of Coppa Italia final between Valorugby Emilia and Valsu Padova

Match starts at 16.00 CET, video at 18.00

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sat, 30 Mar 2019, 09:59

Canalina wrote:
jservuk wrote:
m.map wrote:

The italian rugby heartland is 200 km east of Milan, in Veneto region near Venice (Treviso, Padova and Rovigo are the main rugby towns). Unfortunately Milan never provided in the last decades an highly performing club; sometime the town has two clubs in the second category (like in this season) but they never show the potential to aspire to Top12.
I doubt the Six Nations will be moved to North and anyway I think it would be a wrong decision. Italian rugby is already too north-oriented and depriving the middle/south of the Six Nations games would mean to raise a white flag like saying "ok, we quit with the south". The North has already Benetton and Zebre, nine of the Top12 clubs (the other three are in middle-northern Florence and in middle-of-the-nation Rome) and it may have the winter test matches. No need to move the Six Nations venue, at least at the moment, in my opinion

Surely the plan must be to lobby the FFR to get Zebre and Benetton into the Top14, then begin to develop a team from Rome, Lupi. Less travel, less costs, closer links and could create a greater ‘rivalry’ between continental rugby and British rugby.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Sun, 31 Mar 2019, 16:33

Higgik wrote:Surely the plan must be to lobby the FFR to get Zebre and Benetton into the Top14, then begin to develop a team from Rome, Lupi. Less travel, less costs, closer links and could create a greater ‘rivalry’ between continental rugby and British rugby.

That's about as likely as France winning the newt RWC.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 20:16

Good to see Benetton challenging for the playoffs at this stage of the season. Hopefully they'll make the playoffs which would be good for Italian rugby and the league.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 16 Apr 2019, 11:07

They should do - all they need now is to beat Zebre.

To be fair, Benetton have the easiest schedule in the league by some distance. They play Zebre three times, Kings twice, Dragons twice. Nobody else plays that many games against the three weakest teams. Not their fault of course, thats just the way the system works, but it does give them a boost.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 16 Apr 2019, 12:39

Figaro wrote:They should do - all they need now is to beat Zebre.

To be fair, Benetton have the easiest schedule in the league by some distance. They play Zebre three times, Kings twice, Dragons twice. Nobody else plays that many games against the three weakest teams. Not their fault of course, thats just the way the system works, but it does give them a boost.

Everyone else in their conference plays Kings twice and Dragons twice. The two additional Zebre games seem like a bonus, but they've got 9 points from the two games so far, so it's only a 3 point or so boost.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 08:36

Blurandski wrote:
Figaro wrote:They should do - all they need now is to beat Zebre.

Everyone else in their conference plays Kings twice and Dragons twice. The two additional Zebre games seem like a bonus, but they've got 9 points from the two games so far, so it's only a 3 point or so boost.

And they are only 2 points ahead of Llanelli!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 18 Apr 2019, 15:21

Thats two extra games against Zebre where e.g. Edinburgh have to play Glasgow twice, or Ulster playing Munster & Connacht. And yes, everyone in conference B gets to play the Kings and Dragons twice, but it's still a boost to have those games against weak teams even if some of your rivals get them too.

I mean compare Benetton's schedule with that of Connacht, who get a harder schedule all round with the sole exception of one fewer game against the Scarlets.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 19:46

While Benetton finally reached the Celtic quarterfinals...

semifinals in Top12 will be
Calvisano v Valorugby Emilia (4, 11 May)
Rovigo v Petrarca Padova (5, 12 May)

The final match (18 May) will be on the field of the best placed team: so Calvisano (1st), Rovigo (2nd) or Petrarca (3rd)

With a formidable end of the season Lazio (club of Rome) paired Verona in penultimate position, so it will be necessary a play-out to decide the second relegation after the one of Valsugana Padova

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 05:04

Awesome achievement for Benetton and Italian rugby.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 14:02

Top12, the main italian championship, has finally a "title sponsor" after some years of vacancy. The championship is now called "Peroni Top12".
Peroni (you will be a lot surprised) is a beer brand :)

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Shev » Thu, 02 May 2019, 18:46

Is there supposed to be a relegation playoff between lazio and Verona? If so, when?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 02 May 2019, 20:13

Saturday May 11, on a neutral field still not decided

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum