Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 24 Oct 2017, 07:24

I've seen some reversion to a long time mean of performance, over a spell of only 8 weeks. With what improvements may have occurred probably being down to the club's actual coaches rather than the national team coach. Its like Stuart Lancaster all over again.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 11 Dec 2017, 21:10

A formal coordination between the Eccellenza's clubs is born in the past days
They plan to create an official League with the aim to improve the formation of the players, the relationship with the federation and the franchises, the championship's marketing (included a change of the name "Eccellenza") and the search of a partnership with a television

http://www.rugby.it/news/2017/12/11/ecc ... e-societa/

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 09:44

Good ! Try to load the strongest league as possible is the best idea. You should have thought to this years ago, instead of moving to celtic league...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 10:47

Canalina wrote:A formal coordination between the Eccellenza's clubs is born in the past days
They plan to create an official League with the aim to improve the formation of the players, the relationship with the federation and the franchises, the championship's marketing (included a change of the name "Eccellenza") and the search of a partnership with a television

http://www.rugby.it/news/2017/12/11/ecc ... e-societa/

So from what I can take from the translated article. The clubs are looking to create a more professional national competition with greater visibility and coordination alongside athletic development. Am I correct? Will these be the traditional clubs .i.e. those that have featured in the Eccellenza and if so, how will this be really all that different or will this be something different from the current format?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 12:28

Yes, the subjects of the wannabe League will be the same clubs playing now in Eccellenza (and those promoted since lower category year by year, of course). The championship is currently ran by the Federation. Clubs think (and I'm with them) that things could be managed in a better way. Federation is not doing a bad job but they don't make that extra effort which just a directly involved club may do. I can't say which could be the effective changes with the birth of a clubs' league: surely more efforts in marketing (a website dedicated to Eccellenza, at least) and a search of a broadcasting partner (but it's not easy; nowadays the Eccellenza's games are shown live just on youtube, Tv are just not interested in local rugby).
It has to be said that a similar league was founded around fifteen years ago but it faded away after some years, having not reached real improvements in the meanwhile.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 14:23

Sounds good, they got all they need for this.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 19:44

I'm not really understanding what the big change is. The league will be run more by the clubs than by the union?

There is no indication of whether or not O'Shea is behind these moves?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 20:26

Yes, at the moment the (possible) change is just about the subjects running the championship: from the federation to a clubs' League. Or from the federation to a collaboration between federation and clubs' league.
Eccellenza is sleeping since several years (less than one thousand spectators at the stadium, no television) and a change can't worsen the situation

I think O'Shea is completely not involved (at the moment) in this clubs' project

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 21:56

Canalina wrote:Yes, at the moment the (possible) change is just about the subjects running the championship: from the federation to a clubs' League. Or from the federation to a collaboration between federation and clubs' league.
Eccellenza is sleeping since several years (less than one thousand spectators at the stadium, no television) and a change can't worsen the situation

I think O'Shea is completely not involved (at the moment) in this clubs' project

So will it be the same number of clubs that currently make up the Eccelenza?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 23:16

Two more (12), but the increase had already been decided in summer. The current ten teams plus the two promoted teams from Serie A (italian second category)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 23:25

If they want to seek for further professionalism, expanding the number of teams seems quite conter intuitive.

Anyway, I don't think much can change with the two best italian teams playing overseas. Somehow, it caps what eccellenza teams can achieve.
Last edited by gambass on Wed, 13 Dec 2017, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 13 Dec 2017, 13:26

gambass wrote:If they want to seek for further professionalism, expanding the number of teams seems quite conter intuitive.

Anyway, I don't think much can change with the two best italian teams playing overseas. Somehow, it caps what excelenza teams can achieve.

It makes sense, to have a pro league you need regular game as a lot of attendance is down to habit. 18 rounds is not really enough. With few(/no real) European weekends or particular need to break for the 6N you could really have a 14 team league.

Yes you have some weaker teams to begin with but it also opens up more opportunity for other clubs to grow and come into the league.

Moving to control resting with the clubs means them moving towards the English and French model, which surely should be the target of a big country like Italy.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Wed, 13 Dec 2017, 17:11

sk 88 wrote:
It makes sense, to have a pro league you need regular game as a lot of attendance is down to habit. 18 rounds is not really enough. With few(/no real) European weekends or particular need to break for the 6N you could really have a 14 team league.

You don't have to limit yourself to double round robin. Triple round robin or even quadruple always sounded fine to me. You even have some extreme cases in baseball where the same teams face each other 30 times or so each season (not something I'm advocating obviously, but it exists).

Start with 8 teams in triple round robin (21 rounds), and grow from it seems like a better platform to me.

Still, if they are serious about it, they'll need to reintegrate the italian pro 14 teams ultimately.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 13 Dec 2017, 18:49

Eccellenza should have 6 to 8 clubs. Look at the table every year. There is always a big gap between blocks of teams.

Another format possible: 8 round robin = 14 rounds + 2nd phase with Final 4 round final = 20 + final = 21
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 22 Dec 2017, 21:14

Tomorrow last games of the first part of Eccellenza and, as it usually happens, all the matches will be live on line if someone is interested. The big match is Rovigo-Padova

Live on http://www.therugbychannel.it

Lazio and Fiamme Oro are from Rome
Rovigo, Padova, San Donà and Mogliano from Veneto region
Calvisano and Viadana from Lombardia region
Reggio is 20 km east of Parma, the home of the Zebre
I Medicei are a club in Florence, newly promoted

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 22 Dec 2017, 21:25

I like Petrarca, i saw them against Timișoara.Nice style of rugby, dynamic&good rythm. I can see them up in the top of Excellenza in the future.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 22 Dec 2017, 21:30

Yes, they've a young coach (Andrea Marcato, he was Petrarca's flyhalf/fullback until few years ago) and probably the most entertaining game of the tournament. When they match a weaker team they are often able to score a lot of brilliant tries. But they suffer against the other "big teams" Rovigo and Calvisano
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 22 Dec 2017, 21:43

Calvisano looks strong indeed but Rovigo didn’t convinced me.
Piedmont region have any strong teams?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 23 Dec 2017, 08:20

Piedmont was one of the best rugby regions in the first steps of italian rugby (in the '30s of the past century, more or less), then rugby in those zones slowly went down. In these last years they've quite improved and now Turin has two clubs in Serie A (best level behind Eccellenza) but after the first phase of the championship they're excluded from the promotion zone so they will not play in Eccellenza neither next year. Between the three big northern regions (North-West: Piedmont. Central north: Lombardia. North-east: Veneto) Piedmont is surely the weakest, in terms of rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 25 Dec 2017, 08:59

At the end of the first half of the championship, average attendance in Eccellenza is 940 spectators per match. Just a bit less than the past seasons. Rovigo has the best average data with 1400 spectators per home match
Anyway those data are offered by the press offices of the clubs, so I think the real numbers are circa 20% inferior
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 15:17

Tomorrow's and sunday's Eccellenza fixtures. All live and free on http://www.therugbychannel.it, as usual
The most important game seems San Donà v Viadana. Both the teams are fighting for the fourth place together with Fiamme Oro Roma, while Calvisano, Rovigo and Padova seem a step above them

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 17:16

At the end of the first half of the championship, average attendance in Eccellenza is 940 spectators per match. Just a bit less than the past seasons. Rovigo has the best average data with 1400 spectators per home match
Anyway those data are offered by the press offices of the clubs, so I think the real numbers are circa 20% inferior

Do you have the full list of the average attendances?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 17:59

At the end of the page; club by club and then day by day

http://www.rugby.it/news/2017/12/27/ecc ... ampionato/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 24 Jan 2018, 13:53

In Italy, is there any desire for games between the Pro14 teams & the clubs? I think it'd be cool as hell to see a Cup between them, but I don't know if there's any appetite.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 24 Jan 2018, 14:31

I haven't perceived any particular desire about. Usually there are one or two friendly pre-season matches like Calvisano v Zebre, but I think that the average fan doesn't feel great interest for a similar match during the season.
A good idea would be, in my opinion, a double header: for example, in the same afternoon in Calvisano firstly an Eccellenza match with Calvisano's club and then a Zebre's Pro 14 game. Or in Padova: an Eccellenza match and than a Treviso's Pro14 match.
That could boost both the Eccellenza's and the Pro14 crowd, I think, but obviously it's just an hypothesis and I could be wrong

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum