Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 14:16

Figaro wrote:
dwpeate wrote:Well Benetton played Cardiff at home in Italy so they've not actually done a three week tour at all. Cardiff on the other hand played both Italian teams on consecutive weekends in Italy.

:oops:

Well now I feel stupid.

It has improved a bit though - all the teams with two away games in South Africa stay around for a week; and the South Africans themselves get their games in home or away blocks.

So did Cardiff stay in Italy ;)
I mean September in Italy is absolutely great. Still warm enough to jump into the ocean as well.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 15:02

We have no ocean!

We have the seas: the Adriatic Sea, the Tirreno Sea, the Ionio Sea and the Mediterranean Sea :)

Anyway, even if Treviso had had three games in a row in Wales I think very few italian fans would have planned a voyage of one or two weeks to follow the team. We have still not this rugby culture/madness

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 06:29

Collocation of the 101 teams of serie C1 (italian third and penultimate category). Colors indicate the eight pools which compose the tournament; every pool will promote one team to serie B. Almost all the pools are composed by 12 teams, divided in two sub-pools; as example, Sardinia and Tuscany are in the same pool but play in two separated sub-pools, the winners of which will meet in the promotion final. The clubs are promoted from C2 on a geographical base, so it's normal that they are quite uniformly spread on the whole territory

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 18:33

Bankrupt L'Aquila Rugby merged with Gran Sasso (another club from L'Aquila) to form Unione L'Aquila. This means L'Aquila will have a club in Serie A

http://www.rugbymercato.it/unione-rugby ... nte-fatta/
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 29 Sep 2018, 12:38

As every week, today the matches of italian Top 12 will be shown live on

https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... 12&lang=it

Anyway the most important of the six matches is probably the one postponed to tomorrow: Viadana v Petrarca Padova

Calvisano (10 pts) leads the ranking ahead of Petrarca (9), Valorugby Emilia (9), Rovigo (6) and Fiamme Oro (6)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 06 Oct 2018, 22:07

In the first four rounds of Top 12 (total: 24 matches) no one drop goal has been scored.
Almost no one player attempts drop kicks; the only two attempts I've seen this season were in a situation of advantage, so the player drop-kicked "for free" because he was sure to keep the possession of the ball.
This type of marking became rare in your championship too?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 10:08

There have only been two I think in the first 6 rounds of Premiership Rugby. They have really gone out of fashion.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 12:54

I think there was a small spike of interest in the six nations a few seasons ago, can't remember which edition though. Soon petered out again. I think there have been a few scored and attempted in the pro14, including one that was charged down yesterday if I remember correctly.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 14:12

I suppose the "culprits" are the nowadays defensive lines, so flat and assaulting.
Maybe also the importance given to the possession of the ball suggests to not attempt a kick with low average percentage of success. The two drop-kicks I've seen this season in italian Top 12 finished quite far from the posts

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 09:45

Squad for November tests

Piloni
Simone FERRARI (Benetton Rugby, 14 caps)
Andrea LOVOTTI (Zebre Rugby Club, 27 caps)*
Tiziano PASQUALI (Benetton Rugby, 9 caps)
Nicola QUAGLIO (Benetton Rugby, 7 caps)*
Cherif TRAORE (Benetton Rugby, 1 cap)*
Giosuè ZILOCCHI (Zebre Rugby Club, 1 cap)*

Tallonatori
Luca BIGI (Benetton Rugby, 11 caps)
Oliviero FABIANI (Zebre Rugby Club, 6 caps)
Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Stade Toulousian, 96 caps)

Seconde Linee
George BIAGI (Zebre Rugby Club, 22 caps)
Dean BUDD (Benetton Rugby, 13 caps)
Marco FUSER (Benetton Rugby, 29 caps)*
Marco LAZZARONI (Benetton Rugby, 2 caps)*
Federico RUZZA (Benetton Rugby, 6 caps)*
Alessandro ZANNI (Benetton Rugby, 106 caps)

Flanker/n.8
Renato GIAMMARIOLI (Zebre Rugby Club, 2 caps)*
Johan MEYER (Zebre Rugby Club, esordiente)
Sebastian NEGRI (Benetton Rugby, 9 caps)
Sergio PARISSE (Stade Francais Paris, 134 caps) – capitano
Jake POLLEDRI (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)
Abraham Jurgens STEYN (Benetton Rugby, 21 caps)
Jimmy TUIVAITI (Zebre Rugby Club, esordiente)

Mediani di Mischia
Guglielmo PALAZZANI (Zebre Rugby Club, 24 caps)
Tito TEBALDI (Benetton Rugby, 13 caps)
Marcello VIOLI (Zebre Rugby Club, 15 caps)*

Mediani di Apertura
Tommaso ALLAN (Benetton Rugby, 40 caps)
Carlo CANNA (Zebre Rugby Club, 29 caps)
Ian MCKINLEY (Benetton Rugby, 3 caps)

Centri
Giulio BISEGNI (Zebre Rugby Club, 10 caps)
Michele CAMPAGNARO (Exeter Chiefs, 34 caps)*
Tommaso CASTELLO (Zebre Rugby Club, 12 caps)
Luca MORISI (Benetton Rugby, 16 caps)*

Ali/Estremi
Mattia BELLINI (Zebre Rugby Club, 14 caps)*
Tommaso BENVENUTI (Benetton Rugby, 52 caps)*
Jayden HAYWARD (Benetton Rugby, 10 caps)
Edoardo PADOVANI (Zebre Rugby Club, 14 caps)*
Luca SPERANDIO (Benetton Rugby, 2 caps)*

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 10:37

Anyone know what happened to Leonardo Sarto? He was released by Glasgow at the end of last year and you'd have thought both Italian Pro14 teams would want to snap him up, but neither did.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 11:49

Figaro wrote:Anyone know what happened to Leonardo Sarto? He was released by Glasgow at the end of last year and you'd have thought both Italian Pro14 teams would want to snap him up, but neither did.

Still injured after two operations on his shoulder. Comeback due to be in december. Agent is already looking for teams. RWC hopes are still alive for him.

https://www.onrugby.it/2018/10/10/come- ... rdo-sarto/
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 07:33

It's an hardly predictable and quite passionating Top 12. Last weekend the leader Petrarca Padova suffered before defeating San Donà 13-9, while Rovigo unexpectedly lost at home 18-20 with Florence. Mogliano (a town near Treviso) won in Verona 34-8, while the same exact match in the Cup, two weeks ago, ended 48-7 to Verona...
Padova and Calvisano lead the ranking and they seem destined to the play-off, but for the third and fourth positions there are now many pretenders: Rovigo, Fiamme Oro, Viadana, maybe also Florence, Valorugby Emilia, San Donà and Mogliano.

www.federugby.it/index.php?option=com_j ... 02&lang=it

Postby 4N » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:00

God Italy sucks. No signs of improvement. Imagine supporting that union and thinking you were helping rugby in the country...

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:13

4N wrote:God Italy sucks. No signs of improvement. Imagine supporting that union and thinking you were helping rugby in the country...

It's not like it's a total second team or anything.

For signs of improvement just look at the U20 team and the domestic sides. It takes time to filter through.

Postby 4N » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:14

It’s not like Ireland fielded a backline who had never played together or anything. :roll:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:15

4N wrote:It’s not like Ireland fielded a backline who had never played together or anything. :roll:

Precisely, there's nothing to be gleaned from the match. Ireland, with twice as many pro teams, has more depth than Italy, shocker.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 01:00

... and next weekend all this talk will finaly gain more sense :)
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 01:23

Maybe, but it's necessary to analyse Italy by itself, regardless of a failed conversion next weekend changing the result. What I fear is O'Shea repeating the same way other Italian head coaches followed. Promising start, rise and then fall when the cycle ends.

Anyway FIR was extremely stupid to accept this match at the worst possible scheduling.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 06:15

According to a newspaper the organizers ("The Irish community in Chicago") payed 700,000 € to the italian federation. This makes the FIR choice understandable.
Maybe it's just not very fair to take the money and field a sort of replacements team

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 08:54

Only 700,000 when your budget is over 40 million? I understand it even less.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:04

It's inconceivable to me Italy just seem to be permanently stuck where they are. Any time there's a glimmer of hope that improvement might finally be happening they stumble. Honestly, I hope Georgia push them all the way next weekend.
Last edited by thatrugbyguy on Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:10

Armchair Fan wrote:Only 700,000 when your budget is over 40 million? I understand it even less.

I don't know which is the FIR budget (I should, but I don't...) but I suppose that the very most of those 40 millions are allocated in some fixed expense. Maybe 39.6 of those 40 millions are destined every year to clubs, propaganda, employees et cetera. I think to remember that according to the recent FIR congress' resume the financial balance of the past season was in active by some hundreds thousands euro; less than one million. There's a good difference, I think, between having a margin of 400K € and having a margin of 1.1 million €

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:12

thatrugbyguy wrote:It's inconceivable to me Italy just seem to be permanently stuck where they are. Any time there's a glimmer of hope that improvement might finally be happening they stumble.

It's hard to understand (and to digest) for we italian fans too :?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:26

Canalina wrote:It's hard to understand (and to digest) for we italian fans too :?

Italian fans are who I feel sorry for the most. So many times things have finally looked like they are changing only for nothing to change at all.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum