Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby Ainsthrilln » Sat, 03 Mar 2018, 10:21

Canalina wrote:Zebre v Dragons, april 14, will be played in L'Aquila, middle of Italy in the mountains east of Rome.
Good move, the city deserves that because of its rugby passion.
Would be great if one of the two italian franchises had the basis in the South, but it's not easy to find a city with enough rugby sponsors and enough fans

If Italian teams keep improving, maybe a third Pro14 team could be established in Rome or L'Aquila, in a few years.

Dragons or Connatch are not mighty teams, and if Treviso starts getting close or in the play offs and Zebre stays out of the last positions, it could be discussed.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Sat, 03 Mar 2018, 13:44

An article on the improvement of Zebre and Treviso.
http://www.the42.ie/italian-rugby-progr ... 0-Mar2018/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 08:42

Having a third pro team would be good, but 3 things should happen.
1) a proper pathway into the squad needs to be sorted, so club rivalries may need to be put away, so Treviso need to become a completely separate business from the Benetton club.
2) the teams need to play in the French league, with no relegation, how about 16 clubs 13 + 3 Italian
3) the club league should be no relegation semi pro with max of 6-8 teams.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 09:36

I doubt Italy will be ready in few years to have a third pro team, but I could be wrong
A thing I don't understand is the one about the french championship: why the french tournament should be more efficacious than the Celtic League for our teams?
About the clubs league ("Eccellenza") with no relegation, it would be good for the few clubs admitted in the championship, but what about the others? How a club in Milan, for example, could gather sponsors and fans enthusiasm knowing that they have not any possibility to reach the national top level?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 09:40

Also forgot to mention, that they need to follow the ideas of the other pro leagues and do one-off matches at bigger stadiums to raise the profile.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 03:05

Really talking about Italy, I found this article: http://www.r1823.it/2018/03/06/pro-14-z ... ma-milano/

Again, there are talks about relocating Zebre to Rome or Milano. Looks like Rome is a strong possibility and the team would play at Tre Fontane while the future of Flaminio is discussed. Flaminio is abandoned and recently it was even found a dead man inside....

Well, if Flaminio receive the works needed, it would be an obvious and great place for a PRO14 team. Incredibly FIR never tried to use Six Nations' popularity in Rome to build a professional team there that would if able to draw average attendances of 5.000 would be much more succesful than the current teams in terms of public...

However, a team in Rome would make it more difficult for the national team coach to be close to all elite palyers. Currently Conor O'Shea lives in a town exactly betweeen Parma and Treviso and he is able to be in both cities very quickly to follow Treviso and Zebre.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 05:09

Dumb question but why don't we see Argentineans suiting up for Italy anymore like Castrogiovanni and Parisse did? Not that I think they should be "poached". I get Argentina is a team on the rise and they now have a (single) pro team but there's gotta be more money and opportunity in Italy. Especially now that players are mostly forced to stay in Argentina and join the Jaguares if they want to play for the Pumas instead of making bank in Europe like they used to be able to.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby The Captain's Run » Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 06:01

victorsra wrote:However, a team in Rome would make it more difficult for the national team coach to be close to all elite palyers. Currently Conor O'Shea lives in a town exactly betweeen Parma and Treviso and he is able to be in both cities very quickly to follow Treviso and Zebre.

Parma and Treviso are much closer in terms of direct distance but there are no major roads or railroads connecting the two cities. O'Shea lives off the coast of Lake Garda, which is indeed nearly equidistant from the two in terms of travel time but a fair bit northwest of what would be a true "exact" halfway point. Transportation is much faster and more straight forward between Rome and Treviso, which makes up a lot of the time added by sheer distance. My rough estimates on this - Sirmione, where O'Shea lives now, is about 2 hours from Parma and Treviso by car and longer by train; Florence, the mid-point between Rome and Treviso, is about 3 hours from both locations by car and shorter by train.

Personally, I'd take the slight uptick in travel time to conduct business more regularly in Rome over Parma quite easily. But I can also appreciate the dilemma this could cause for O'Shea - it would be hard to leave as the views of Lake Garda and the Dolomites from Sirmione are absolutely stunning, while the cityscape of Florence is merely gorgeous.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 06:32

This forum is awesome. Which site can give such a detail breakdown of Conor O’Shea’s commute? Never change.

Buffalo wrote:Dumb question but why don't we see Argentineans suiting up for Italy anymore like Castrogiovanni and Parisse did? Not that I think they should be "poached". I get Argentina is a team on the rise and they now have a (single) pro team but there's gotta be more money and opportunity in Italy. Especially now that players are mostly forced to stay in Argentina and join the Jaguares if they want to play for the Pumas instead of making bank in Europe like they used to be able to.

Every promising prospect is capped with Argentina XV or Pumas 7s. More than half of the Argentines in Eccellenza and Pro 14 are already capped. Also, there are more third-generation Argentines so the grandparent is losing significance. And the salaries are not what they used to be. The Pro D2 is now the premier destination for second tier local players.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 12:50

Let's be fair. Parisse's parents are Italian and his father was a L'Aquila player and was Italian champion. He might have grown up in Argentina but he isn't really an import.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 01:10

and so italians beat the scots in u20s 8-)

i say conor o'shea's plan is going quite well, even if the men's senior team looked bad in the 6 nations, but to be fair, they didn't have much before

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 09:46

Gen Santa wrote:and so italians beat the scots in u20s 8-)

i say conor o'shea's plan is going quite well, even if the men's senior team looked bad in the 6 nations, but to be fair, they didn't have much before

And the senior team had lot of injuries, in a squad that lacks depth.

You could make a starting back line with the injuried or released after injury:

11. Esposito
12. Morisi
13. Campagnaro
14. Sarto
15. Padovani

I think that only Minozzi would be a starter instead of Padovani, and Campagnaro has been the best Italian player the last couple of seasons.

Among the forwards, Gega or Fuser were also injuried.

As per the U20, probably it has been their est 6N. Victories against Scotland and Wales, losing only by 4 against Ireland playing with 14 players for 70 minutes, and losing only by 10 against England.

Rizzi is a great player, and could become Italy's 10 (or maybe 12), and others like Cannone (Italy needs real locks), Lamaro, Bianchi, Mancini Parri, Iachizzi... maybe could go to the senior team in the future.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 13:49

Ainsthrilln wrote:
Gen Santa wrote:and so italians beat the scots in u20s 8-)

And the senior team had lot of injuries, in a squad that lacks depth.

You could make a starting back line with the injuried or released after injury:

11. Esposito
12. Morisi
13. Campagnaro
14. Sarto
15. Padovani

I think that only Minozzi would be a starter instead of Padovani, and Campagnaro has been the best Italian player the last couple of seasons.

Among the forwards, Gega or Fuser were also injuried.

As per the U20, probably it has been their est 6N. Victories against Scotland and Wales, losing only by 4 against Ireland playing with 14 players for 70 minutes, and losing only by 10 against England.

Rizzi is a great player, and could become Italy's 10 (or maybe 12), and others like Cannone (Italy needs real locks), Lamaro, Bianchi, Mancini Parri, Iachizzi... maybe could go to the senior team in the future.

right, this is why training and conditioning is so important to a rugby team, italy always seem to play good after 60 minutes and then lose the plot afterwards...

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 15:31

Italy were the only team to score at least two tries in each of their Six Nations games and fourth in the amount of tries per team, 1 more than Scotland, 4 more than France, trailing Wales by 1 and England by 2. Thats quite encouraging I think.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 27 Mar 2018, 04:33

Do you know Manu Atunaisa? He's a tongan winger, just arrived in Viadana and at the debut scored 4 tries (against my city's squad :roll: )
Tries like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oExuYj ... be&t=1m49s
or this https://youtu.be/4oExuYjWHeA?t=2m52s

Is he really a phenomenon as he seemed or was mostly favored by my squad's defensive weakness?
He comes from the Crusaders academy

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 13:18

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 13:25

Canalina wrote:Do you know Manu Atunaisa? He's a tongan winger, just arrived in Viadana and at the debut scored 4 tries (against my city's squad :roll: )
Tries like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oExuYj ... be&t=1m49s
or this https://youtu.be/4oExuYjWHeA?t=2m52s

Is he really a phenomenon as he seemed or was mostly favored by my squad's defensive weakness?
He comes from the Crusaders academy

Too little to have an opinion and for me one game is not enough to asses a player and anyway the camera angles should be of a different sort to observe one player's movement around the pitch for entire match (movement without ball is also very important especially in back three) but he have qualities. He's not the fastest player but seem to have an eye for attacking the space.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 13:26

victorsra wrote:U18 - Italy 32-20 England :)

http://federugby.it/index.php?option=co ... temid=1026

Who cares, just kick them out of 6N

LE: /sarcasm off
Last edited by amz on Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 13:41

:cry:

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 13:44

Maybe the first ever italian victory in rugby XV against England, incredible!

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 14:18

In the spirit of this competition I hope England now refuse to play them in future and the rest of the home nations follow suit! ;) :oops:

Postby Raven » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 16:00

sk 88 wrote:In the spirit of this competition I hope England now refuse to play them in future and the rest of the home nations follow suit! ;) :oops:

Be careful with what you wish for....

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 18:37

sk 88 wrote:In the spirit of this competition I hope England now refuse to play them in future and the rest of the home nations follow suit! ;) :oops:

:) :) :)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 20:27

5,826 showed up to watch Zebre in Rome. Possibly the highest ever attendance for an Italian Pro12 team? Interesting

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 15 Apr 2018, 02:32

This week's Zebre match against Dragons was in L'Aquila, not Rome. L'Aquila is about 120 km from Rome...

But yep, great crowd for Italian standards...

Plus a terrific Treviso win over Leinster in Dublin, 17-15, historical

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum